Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco

Seven Deadly Sins

by Kaleidoscope_Eyes 7 reviews

Does the absence of these sins cause us to become virtuous or inhuman?

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2012-06-14 - Updated: 2012-06-14 - 645 words

1Insightful
I realize this chapter is extremely slow moving but bear with me on this. I have a fantastic idea for this story.

The dictionary defines sin as, "an offense against God," or "a weakened state of human nature in which the self is estranged from God." But what constitutes a sin? There are seven of them: pride, envy, gluttony, lust, wrath, greed, and sloth. But what do these mean exactly?

Pride: excessive belief in one's own abilities that interfere with the individual's recognition with the grace of God. Let's break that down a bit. "Excessive belief in one's own abilities." You think too highly of yourself. But where is the line drawn from just enough to too much? "Interfere with the individual's recognition with the grace of God." Does that mean you think of yourself as higher than God? So is that where the line is drawn? But who would think themselves higher than God?

Envy: the desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation. But how does one avoid envy? It's basic human nature to be envious of others. Any time you've said "I wish I had your talent" or "I'd kill to be in your shoes" according to this definition, you're displaying envy. So where does one harmless comment turn into a 'deadly sin'?

Gluttony: the inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires. This may sound simple but where does hunger end and gluttony begin? The definition is different to everyone so how can gluttony be accurately measured?

Lust: the inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body. The pleasures of the body. Now, that's a vague term. The pleasures of the body could mean literally taking pleasure in the body or it could be taken in a figurative sense. Generally when we think of lust we think of it literally. But what of the figurative? Figuratively speaking the pleasures of the body could mean anything you enjoy doing. So wouldn't a masochist enjoy inflicting pain on themselves? Would that classify as lust?

Wrath: the individual spurns love and opts instead for fury. Wrath is also known as anger. Anger is just a basic emotion so are we not allowed to feel that emotion or just not too much of it. But, again, where is the line drawn? What constitutes too much anger?

Greed: the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. So again, where is the line drawn? The line between need and want is a thin one. The first definition of need in the dictionary is "to be in want of." So does that mean that need and want are synonymous to one another? Then where does greed come into play? Can a gambling addiction count as greed?

And last but not least, sloth: the avoidance of physical or spiritual work. Everyone is lazy once in a while. There's nothing wrong with that but how much is too much? Could being too tired be counted as sloth?

I've asked the same thing over and over: where is the line drawn? It's not whether or not these are sinful, it's where does human nature become sin? And how do we suppress these urges and not be sinful? Can we possibly live without them? Does the absence of these sins cause us to become virtuous or inhuman?

Maybe these questions can be answered. Follow the stories of seven boys and seven sins.

This is only a prologue-type-thing so that's why I didn't bring any of the boys in. I'll bring in people from other bands, such as Pete Wentz, Patrick Stump, and Gerard Way. Anyone wanna guess who is whave sin? haha Virtual cookies to whoever can do it. I hope you all enjoyed! Please rate and review, your opinions would mean a lot to me! (Also sorry that this whole chapter is mainly questions.)
Sign up to rate and review this story