Categories > Games > Kingdom Hearts

Storm Clouds

by UbiquitousOranges 1 review

The sun sets, the clouds gather, and Riku has a feeling that this is his last night on Destiny Islands. R/S, and very very short.

Category: Kingdom Hearts - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama, Romance - Characters: Riku, Sora - Published: 2006-07-08 - Updated: 2006-07-08 - 644 words - Complete

0Unrated
Absolutely horrendous and ridiculously short one-shot, Riku's POV.
Warnings: A bit of Riku/Sora, but no spoilers if you've played the first half-hour of KH1. :P
Disclaimer: These characters don't belong to me and I don't get any money from writing this. Duh.
And please, remember to feed the review button! How can this thing get better if you don't tell me what's wrong with it? :D


It's by far the most beautiful sunset of the summer yet, even if I can smell a storm on the air. If anything, it makes the day sweeter, knowing that none of it will be the same tomorrow - the slant of sun, the light breeze, the shining gold ocean.
(And more besides)
I shake my head to dispel the unwelcome thoughts. /Carpe diem/, right?
God, yes.
The blue-eyed brunet sitting next to me blinks, yawns, and stretches, collapsing bonelessly back over the horizontal trunk of the paopu tree. I wince, half expecting him to break in two, but he doesn't notice, apparently perfectly comfortable.
I had told Kairi to go home, that we could all meet up in the morning to finish the raft. She didn't question it, thankfully, just gave one of her brain-dead giggles. Sometimes I wonder about her. Like if she was kicked in the head by a horse at a young age.
Why did I tell her to leave? I ask myself. I know the answer, of course. To get a chance to talk to Sora, alone.
(Last chance)
I flip backwards over the trunk, landing in a crouch in front of him. (He, of course, is upside-down.) The paopu I've been holding, half-forgotten, suddenly takes on vast importance.
"Hey, Sora," I begin. "Know what this is?" I wave the star-shaped fruit in front of his face.
"'S a paopu, Riku. Leemee 'lone. Tryn'a sleep."
"And... do you know what happens when two people share one?"
"Mmph." One eye slides halfway open, examines me, and slides shut again.
"It means that their destinies become intertwined - that no matter what happens, they'll - they'll find each other again."
(Last chance before the storm breaks)
Both of Sora's eyes fly open, and a creeping flush finds its way onto his face. It must have been the tone of my voice.
"Yeah." His voice cracks, making it into two syllables, and he sits up, hacking and coughing like his lungs are bleeding. He finishes, and turns to face me.
"Which half do you want?" I ask.
He's bright red by now. He slips off the trunk, standing in his ridiculous shoes, looking up at me. "Do you mean...?"
I slip a hand behind his head and kiss him softly.
He breathes in and out against my chest, then brings his arms around my waist.
(Remember, none of this will last)
"Riku..." he says softly, his impossibly blue eyes seeming to search my soul.
(Searching for the light)
"I'm scared."
I know the feeling. Something to do with the approaching storm.
"Don't... don't leave me alone, okay?"
(But I will)
"Okay," I say, knowing it's a lie and hating myself for it.
By now, the sun has set and darkness is closing in, bringing with it the clouds that I've felt all day. One tear slips down my cheek, perhaps at what I know I'm going to lose before the morning.
Sora leans back, asking for another kiss. I give it to him. He must see the shine on my face, know that I'm crying, but he just snuggles closer and buries his face in my chest.
"Riku... I love you." Almost a whisper.
"I love you too."
(Always have, always will)
We stand on the tiny island, arms around each other, as the wind picks up and the clouds roll in.
(Before the morning)
For tonight, at least, before the storm breaks, I can keep him safe.
Sign up to rate and review this story