Categories > Original > Drama

Funeral

by InfamousWayDown 2 reviews

"I don't wanna do this anymore," she mumbled, her breath catching in her throat.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Published: 2012-07-05 - Updated: 2012-07-06 - 1422 words - Complete

0Unrated
The leaves crackled under the pair's shoes as they wandered through the forest behind the boy's house. The girl looked up at him, her brown eyes full of tears that would soon be running down her face. "I don't wanna do this anymore," she mumbled, her breath catching in her throat. The boy stopped walking and pulled the short girl into his chest. "It's gonna be okay, love. We should do this while we still can." That last sentence had the boy ready to cry as well. He was not ready for his time to be up. The girl nodded softly, tucking a strand of her recently-dyed turquoise hair behind her right ear.

They continued walking for around ten minutes before it had been decided that they were deep enough in the forest. He sat down on the ground, his black fedora casting a shadow over his pale face. "Come sit down," he whispered, patting the patch of grass between his legs. "Let's just sit for a minute, okay love?" She nodded again, gently placing a small and ornate white chest on the leaves in front of her. Sitting in the boy's lap, she turned to face him. He raised a hand to fiddle with the black rose in her hair, smiling softly when her eyes fluttered closed. "I love you," she whimpered into his neck. "I shouldn't love you, but I do," she muttered. Her lips founds their way to the boy's chest, leaving trails of kisses on the soft skin his black v-neck left exposed.

The two sat there, just relaxing in the other's embrace, for all of three minutes before droplets of water began assaulting their skin. The girl looked up to the clear blue sky, not a cloud in sight. "Where is this fucking rain coming from," she chuckled against the boy's neck. He shrugged, gently moving her to the side so he could stand. After taking her hand and helping her up, he removed her glasses from their perch on her nose. "What are you doing," she cried. "I can't- I need those to see!" He just shushed her and used his shirt to wipe away the small drops of water clouding the lenses. "There," he whispered, placing them back on her face. The girl just shook her head, her now wet hair falling from its loose bun atop her head. "You're stupid," she muttered, digging her Converse her into the mud beneath her. She moved her hands down towards the hem of her short black sundress, fingering the fabric anxiously.

"Hey," the boy cooed. "Everything's alright. Trust me." He took her hands in his, rubbing them with his thumbs for a while. "Okay," she said. She slowly removed her hands from his and walked towards the box that was now being pelted with rain. She picked it up and held it to her chest, the tears beginning to spill from her eyes. "My baby," she whimpered as one of her hands subconsciously moved to rest on her stomach.

The boy was walking towards her now, a shovel in his hands. He gave her a questioning look to which she responded by nodding her head and pointing to a spot underneath one of the many oak trees. The boy nodded and began digging a hole there, watching as it quickly began to fill with water. "Is this going to be a problem," he shouted to the girl since she was quite a bit away and the rain was almost deafening. "No," she yelled back, her voice cracking with the effort. "It's fine!" She moved so that she was under the branches of one of the trees, its leaves creating a barrier between her and the rain. She opened the box, holding back sobs as she saw the small infant-sized pair of pink Converse. The white toe-caps had hand-written messages on them; the left foot was in the boy's handwriting, and the right in her own. Baby girl, read the left shoe in neat, flowing, cursive, you will never know how much I love you. There's not enough paper in the world for me to write on in order to make you understand, nor is there enough room on this shoe. You may have never entered this world, but you changed lives, even so. You'll always be here, forever in my heart. Love, Daddy.

The girl almost laughed at how small the boy's handwriting was. She was pretty sure he had never written that small in his entire life. She placed the left shoe back in the box, picking up the one marred by the messy, all-caps, chicken-scratch that she called handwriting. Maressica Rylie. I hope you like your name. Your dad and I were really anal about it. I liked Marissa, your dad liked Jessica. And then we put them together, and we got you. Your middle name is the names of two very special people. They're Mommy's friends, and they've helped me with so much. You'd like them. I'm running out of space, but just know that I love you and you'll always be my princess. Love, Mommy.

By the time she was finished reading, the boy was done digging the hole and was standing behind her, his long arms wrapped around her waist. He pulled a pink rosary, almost identical to his own silver one, out of his pocket and placed it in the left shoe. The girl adjusted both shoes in the box and latched it closed for the last time. She turned around to face the boy and laid her head on his chest, her own heaving with sobs. He ran his hands up and down her back, the fabric of her dress drenched with the icy water.

The girl cried steadily for a few minutes before she lifted her head and slowly walked over to the hole in the ground. The rain had let up a bit, so most of the water had now been soaked into the dirt. She coughed and spluttered as she gently sat the box in the crater, then stepped back to watch the boy cover it with dirt. She pulled a tube of glitter out of her shoe and carefully sprinkled some on top of the earth that was encompassing her daughter. The boy smiled sadly as he watched her kneel on the soggy ground and mumble to herself.

When she was done, the girl slowly stepped back a few paces, salty tears burning her skin. The boy took a step forward and clutched his rosary in his left hand. He began speaking in Russian, and the girl had to try really hard to keep up with him. "Gospodʹ Bog , vsegda zabotlivym i nezhnym, my obyazuemsya Tvoya lyubovʹ eto malenʹkiĭ, uskorilsya v zhiznʹ stolʹ korotkoe vremya . Obnyatʹ yee v zhiznʹ vechnuyu. My molimsya za sebya, kto opechaleny poteryeĭ nashego rebenka. Daĭ nam muzhestvo i pomochʹ nam v nashyeĭ boli i skorbi. Mozhem li my vse vstretimsya v odin prekrasnyĭ denʹ v radosti i mira v Tsarstvie Tvoe . My prosim ob etom cherez Khrista , Gospoda nashego. Aminʹ." (Lord God, ever caring and gentle, we commit to Your love this little one, quickened to life for so short a time. Enfold her in eternal life. We pray for ourselves who are saddened by the loss of our child. Give us courage and help us in our pain and grief. May we all meet one day in the joy and peace of Your kingdom. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.) It was silent for a few moments before the boy crossed himself with a shaking hand, turned, and walked towards the girl.

She looked around a while before the spotted the bouquet of pink roses she had brought with them. She removed two of them before placing the rest on the make-shift grave. The boy looked at her curiously as she began plucking the petals, one by one. Realization spread across his face as he saw her make a trail from where they were standing to the grave. When she was done, there were pink petals gracefully lining the forest floor.

By then, the rain had stopped completely. The sun was filtering through the trees, leaving rays of golden light illuminating the grave. The couple looked at each other, tears rolling down their cheeks as they thought about what could have been and what never was. The boy kissed the girl's cheek gently as they turned and walked away from the grave and out of the forest.
Sign up to rate and review this story