Categories > Original > Fantasy

The Hallow Nether

by SylarGrimm 0 reviews

A man from a different world must pass tests of our world and learn to survive.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Romance - Warnings: [V] [?] - Published: 2012-08-18 - Updated: 2012-08-18 - 1156 words

0Unrated
This is a little grusome and theres more to the story than whats posted. if you want to understand the story from all angles go to "www.sylargrimm.blogspot.com":http://www.sylargrimm.blogspot.com and everything will be explained. or you can just read this and enjoy it for what it is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Chapter 1 – The Light

He gagged on the sent of the dead for the hundredth time as he pushed forward. The corpse of a man rolled over him as he pulled his weary body up farther. His thin pale fingers reached out and grabbed the arm of a mangled body. Using it to go forward he pushed it beneath his torso, smearing blood on his busted straight jacket. He licked his cracked lips and he moved forward over and under the bodies. He was too far to go back and if he made it through this tunnel of death then he was free.
He reached again and curled his boney fingers in someone's hair. He opened his eyes and wretched up nothing out of his empty stomach. He saw the blood and lifeless eyes and he couldn't breath. He wretched again and pinched his eyes shut. He pictured a light, something he hadn't seen in a long time. He wanted that light and the faster he got through this death infested tunnel the sooner he'd see it. So he pushed forward with that in his mind. He licked his dry lips again as he moved over another lump. He choked as he felt a hand graze his neck and he wanted to scream. The closed in space made him ache to his bones. The cold rotted skin of the dead haunted his mind and pricked his skin as he brushed past them, concentrating on not feeling.
He sucked in another putrid breath and pushed a little further. He kept the light in his mind as he pushed another mangled corpse behind him.
The light was no longer enough and he wretched again as his eyes opened to stare into the pale face of a child. He yanked back only to have no space to do so and he began to suck in breaths frantically.
He needed space and he needed it now. No, he needed to move the child and close his eyes and pray the boy had died peacefully. But as he eyed the body he knew it was no peaceful death. He was missing his arm up to the middle of his forearm and a jagged cut was in his neck while blood leaked out of his eyes and other wounds.
He couldn't handle it and tears finally fell from his eyes as he looked in all the faces. He didn't want to die here amongst the forgotten bodies. He didn't want to die back in the Mental Hospital either.
He pressed his blood stained hands to his pale skinny face and tried to calm his breathing. His head hurt and his eyes burned as he stopped crying. He felt nothing on his skin, he knew if he could he'd completely loose it. He calmed his breathing as he lay his head down on arm, sticking his nose to the cold metal bottom of the tunnel. It was the only space that was open right now; the rest of the metal tube was covered in blood and cadavers.
He took a deep breath and pictured the light again; this time brighter than before. Before he knew it he had pushed the small boy out of the way and was already a few feet from where he had paused.
With another lick of his lips he managed to heave himself over a mound and promptly fell on his back into an open space. He felt a strange feeling on his face and opened his eyes. Finally above him was the light. His eyes burned with the brightness and he smiled for the first time in years. It started out first as a small grin and quickly grew into a ridiculously large beaming smile full of surprisingly white teeth. He closed his eyes, basking in the light as he started to laugh in triumph.
His voice was strange in the dead silence but he didn't care. He had found the light and it was up a shaft right above his head. But before he could move he felt something shift beneath him. His eyes flew open as he felt the metal move again. The light was no longer right above him but a little to his right.
He let out a screech, wrenching himself up and grabbed each sides of the shaft. Twisting his long legs underneath him, he gritted his teeth and began climbing and the tunnel shifted again. The bodies beneath him slid to the left, back the way he had come and the way he would never go again.
There were no hand holds but he managed to move up by pressing his bare feet and hands into the walls. It was slow going but he kept his eyes on the light; he would make it.
Minutes later, when his feet had gone numb and his shoulders were sore, he watched as a black circle eclipsed the light. In horror he watched it vanish and he began frantically moving upward. He now saw that whatever had blocked the light had little holes in it, letting small shafts of light through.
He was almost there when he reached his hand up into the darkness and felt an odd liquid. With determination in his eyes, he reached both hands up into the murk and grabbed a metal horizontal pole. Using his last ounce of strength he pulled his ragged lurid body through the black goo and emerged at the end of a ladder. Above him the cover to a manhole and he smiled again as he climbed towards the light.
He pushed the metal disk away with ease and found himself in bright sunlight. As his eyes adjusted he started to see the new world around him. But he didn't get to see much until a large force slammed into his thin bloody body from the right. He felt his bones tense up as he took the blow. The world slowed and he heard nothing. The metal object that had hit him was wrapping around him from the momentum and he didn't move. As the world sped back up the object bounced and did a slight rebound. Then he heard glass breaking and a loud bang that was ear splitting.
He took all this in stride and reacted to none of it. The world caught up and he fell to the ground as the scene settled. He closed his eyes and took a breath of the fresh hair and smiled. He might have been hurt and he could possibly die, but he got to see the light and take a fresh breath.
Sign up to rate and review this story