Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Guardians of the Eternal Phoenix

Heart's Deepest Desire

by bladeraider 0 reviews

Drake spends Christmas Day in the company of our favorite Metamorphmagus!

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Harry,Tonks - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2012-08-19 - Updated: 2012-08-19 - 5673 words

3Original
A/N1: Guys I need a little help in selecting an appropriate name for Drake’s method of transportation. Kindly read Ch3 and it’s a/n if you don’t understand what I am talking about.
And can anyone suggest some actress/model on whom I can base the face of Tonks and Fleur.
But right now, enjoy the chapter!

Heart’s Deepest Desire

Harry trudged along tiredly towards the Gryffindor Tower. The Quidditch match had ended an hour ago, yet he was still in his Quidditch robes. The reason was that the moment he had landed on the ground after successfully catching the snitch, Prof. McGonagall had come up to him and informed him that the Headmaster wished to meet him in his office right then. What followed was a lengthy interrogation session that irritated Harry to no end. He had anticipated such a situation but that didn’t make the experience any more pleasurable. Not for the first time Harry found himself inwardly thanking Drake for his advanced Occlumency lessons as he endured alternating probes of Leglimency from Dumbledore and Snape. Why Snape was present at the meeting was beyond him. ‘Probably just to get a chance to torment me’ Harry mused.

Harry had been surprised that he actually found Dumbledore more annoying than Snape. At least Snape was open about his hatred towards him and hence his actions were much easier to anticipate and avoid. Dumbledore, however, was a different story altogether. He put on the mask of a concerned grandfather in front of him while pounding his shields with passive Leglimency. For God’s sake, Harry had even felt his probes during mealtimes! Harry fumed in anger at the thought of the blatant invasion of privacy of those students who weren’t accomplished Occlumens. He wondered if that was the reason why Dumbledore always seemed so calm and in control, he practically knew every secret of every student! Sometimes Harry was really tempted to trap Dumbledore within his shields, a technique Drake had taught him. However he had refrained from using it because he had never actually used it before and he didn’t fancy Dumbledore as his first test subject. Also he didn’t want to attract any more attention towards himself.

‘Maybe someday I’ll use it on Snape’ Harry thought, an evil grin spreading on his face.

“My my Potter, that is one nasty grin you have on your face” The distinctly feminine voice startled Harry and he looked up to find Daphne Greengrass standing a few feet away from him, wearing a smirk on her face.

“Hello Daphne”

“I don’t remember ever giving you the permission to call me by my first name, Potter” Daphne said, eyes narrowing a bit.

“I can’t help it! You have got to admit that ‘Daphne’ has got a nice ring to it!” Harry shot back, eyes glinting mischievously.

Daphne huffed. “So what put that grin on your face?”

“Oh, just thinking of ways to torment someone!” Harry responded casually.

“Oh my! May I know the name of that unlucky fellow?” Daphne enquired curiously.

Harry smirked. “Wouldn’t you like to know?” He however didn’t elaborate any further.

Realizing that no answer was forthcoming, Daphne decided to move on to another topic. “Nice trick back there Potter. Never thought you had it in you!”

Harry mock scowled. Daphne was always like that, full of sarcasm and witty humor and possessed the sharpest tongue than anyone he had met before. She was a fun person to be with once you got past her ‘Ice Queen’ façade that she projected around everyone. Harry actually found her company to be thought provoking and a breath of fresh air. Ron and Hermione were good company but more often than not he got tired of Ron’s laziness and constant whining and Hermione’s bossy attitude, not to mention the constant bickering between Ron and her. Daphne on the other hand was hard working and had her own unique sarcasm filled witty way of inspiring people. Harry often joined her in the library (secretly, of course) and they spent a lot of time in a secluded corner doing their homework while a verbal battle of wit and sarcasm raged on between them.

“Why thanks for your vote of confidence Daphne!” Harry remarked sarcastically. “And sorry to disappoint you, it wasn’t me. It was Dumbledore”

“And here I was hoping to learn that from you!”Daphne sighed.”Ah well, see you around Potter. And Harry…..next time don’t scare me like that” Daphne said softly, looking away.

“Sure Daphne!” Harry said automatically as she walked away. In reality he was surprised. In the few months that they had known each other, she had always been a little cold and distant. True, it was less in case of him, but still. So her concern and the underlying fear really took him by surprise.

Harry sighed deeply. After his conversation with Daphne, he did not fancy going up to the Gryffindor Tower where no doubt the entire House was waiting to interrogate him and frankly, he was in no mood for that.

“Thanks a lot, Drake!”Harry grumbled sarcastically. “Nice of you to pull a stunt, and then leave me to clean up the mess.”

“Well, the alternative didn’t seem very appropriate at the time!” an amused voice spoke from somewhere to his right. Harry jumped at the voice and scowled when he spotted Drake leaning casually against the wall, eyes twinkling mischievously.

“Jumpy, aren’t we?” Drake teased.

“Shut up!” Harry glared at him for a moment before a smile broke out on his face and he hugged him. “Thanks for coming and saving me!”

“Well I couldn’t afford to let you die after I put so much time and effort on you, now can I?”Drake asked teasingly. Harry broke the hug and glared at him. “By the way, nice flying and congratulations on your win!” Drake continued more seriously.

“Thanks!” Harry said earnestly. “By the way what the hell happened there?” he asked a little worriedly.

“Snape and Quirell happened” Drake said gravely.

“What do you mean?”

“Well they both were muttering non-stop, well at least until your friend Hermione set fire to Snape’s robes. I am guessing that one of them was cursing your broom while the other one was muttering a counter curse. Or maybe both were cursing your broom.”

“I bet it was Snape who was doing the cursing! The git!” Harry muttered angrily.

“I think it was Quirell.”

Harry looked at Drake incredulously, “You got to be joking! That man can’t string two words properly to save his life! His DADA lessons are a goddamn joke.”

“It’s a hunch and my hunches are usually correct. I have a feeling that there’s more to him than meets the eye.”

Harry looked skeptical. “I still feel its Snape. That man hates me and as much as I have seen him, he is much more skilled than Quirell! So he’s got both motive and skill. It’s got to be him!” Harry said with conviction.

“Alright, you have got a point. But…” Drake looked unconvinced.” Say what, keep an eye on both of them!”

“Ok.”

“By the way Harry…” Drake’s eyes glinted with mischief and Harry immediately became wary. “Nice catch!” Drake said, pointing his thumb in the direction where Daphne had gone. “Now I understand why you decided to bump into her.”

Harry let out a frustrated sigh though his cheeks colored slightly. “For the last time Drake, I did not decide to bump into her. It was sort of an accident.”

Drake rolled his eyes as if to say ‘yeah right!’

“So Snape and Dumbledore put you through the grill?”

“Yeah! Although it was nothing that I couldn’t handle” Harry waved away Drake’s concern dismissively. “Your memory diversion technique works like a charm! Even after using it for so many times, its effectiveness and simplicity still surprises me.”

Drake grinned. Showing your opponents what you want them to see while making them believe that they are seeing what they want to see was one of the most effective ways to protect your mind while at the same time hiding your skill from everyone.

“Glad it helped! Well, it’s getting late. You should go and get ready to face the interrogation squad….or maybe you can ignore them and go after your lady friend!” Drake added, grinning madly before disappearing, but not before he heard Harry grumble.

“Bloody tease!”

xxxxxxxxx

“Can we please go back now?” Drake pleaded for the umpteenth time.

“For Merlin’s sake Drake, stop whining! It’s only shopping! You are acting as if…as if I had asked you to dance naked in the middle of the street or something!” Tonks exclaimed exasperatedly.

“For your information shopping in the company of women is just as embarrassing for us guys!” Drake protested. “I still can’t believe you two tricked me into coming with you!” Drake huffed, eliciting a giggle from Tonks and a chuckle from Jasmine, both of whom were walking alongside him as they made their way to the next dress shop on their list.

It was Christmas. Drake had got up a little earlier than usual in order to make preparations for what undoubtedly would be an extremely busy day. As expected the pub was bursting to the brim within moments of opening it. Drake was busy catering to the needs of the numerous customers when he was interrupted by a rather severe and stately looking middle-aged woman. She was accompanied by a younger and pretty brunette. The older woman introduced herself as Amelia Bones, Head of DMLE while her escort turned out to be an Auror.

“Mr. Jones you are required to come with us to the Ministry this instant.” The brunette stated in an official tone. “It has recently come to our notice that you are an immigrant from India and are yet to register your name with the Ministry.”

Drake was shocked. How the hell did they find this out! As far as he remembered only Tom, Harry and Tonks knew this. Did Tom or Tonks rat him out? No, they wouldn’t do that! But it was either that or the Ministry had suddenly become extremely efficient. Drake pondered over the situation. He had heard about Amelia. According to everyone she was extremely efficient in her job. But still these sort of things were too trivial for her to get involved in. Drake decided to voice his thought.

Amelia chuckled.”No job is small. Besides we were merely in the area and decided to take care of the job before we headed to the Ministry.”

“What am I expected to do at the Ministry?”

“Oh nothing painful! Just some forms need to be filled and then you can be on your way.”

“Ok! Let me get ready and then we can go.” Amelia nodded in acceptance.

Fifteen minutes later the group appeared in a narrow dingy alleyway. Drake swayed a little on the spot, he hated Apparating. Unfortunately he didn’t know the entrance to the Ministry and so he was unable to use his usual method of transportation. He looked around and saw a fashionable dress shop across the street. He vaguely recalled that Tonks had once raved about the quality of dresses found there.

“Where to now?” Drake enquired. He had heard from Tonks that entrances to magical places were often located in rather weird places. Drake vaguely wondered if any of the dustbins lying around in the alley was the entrance to the Ministry. He was, therefore, a little surprised when Amelia grinned widely and pointed at the dress shop across the street.

“The entrance to the Ministry is inside there?” Drake asked.

“No, silly!” Amelia grinned even wider. Drake’s jaw dropped to the floor when she promptly transformed into a giggling pink-haired witch.

“T-Tonks?” Drake stuttered. To add to his shock the brunette waved her wand, cancelling her glamour charms and revealing herself to be a dirty blonde haired witch in her mid-twenties.

“J-Jasmine, you too?”

“He’s rather eloquent today, isn’t he?” Tonks observed. Jasmine nodded in agreement.

“What’s going on?” Drake asked looking from Tonks to Jasmine and back again.

“Welll…we, that is to say you, me and Jasmine, are going shopping around London today!” Tonks said excitedly.

Drake was still trying to wrap his head around the weird turn of events. “You mean to say that you two practically kidnapped me from the pub to take me…shopping?” Drake asked incredulously.

“Yup!” Tonks chirped cheerfully.

Drake rubbed his temple in exasperation. “Thanks, but no thanks.” He turned around to leave but Tonks grabbed hold of his hand.

“Please Drake, just for one day!” Tonks pleaded.

“Damn it Tonks! It’s perhaps the busiest day at the pub. Tom will need me to handle so many customers” Drake said angrily.

“Hmmph! He used to handle them just fine before you joined up. As far as I have seen, he has gotten real lazy lately.”

“Besides, he knows!” Jasmine said from behind Tonks.

“What do you mean ‘he knows’?” Drake asked confused.

“I mean that he knows that you are with us and that you are going to be spending the entire day with us.”

“What?”

“You see, Tonks here threatened to curse Tom if and I quote ‘he didn’t get his lazy arse of the stool and did his share of work’. Then she ‘convinced’ Tom to give you the Christmas day off.” Drake looked at Tonks who was wearing a smug look on her face.

Drake was amazed and if he was honest with himself, almost pleased. Almost! While he was extremely thankful to Tonks for getting him the day off, he didn’t want to spend the day shopping. He had heard from his male customers that going shopping with girls was a torturous experience. No, he had to find some way to escape.

“Thanks, but I still don’t understand why I have to go shopping with you girls. I mean I would just be standing around doing nothing!”

“Well, for one you will be helping us in selecting your clothes.”

“What? But…but Tonks I don’t have any money on me at present.” Drake sputtered.

“Oh, don’t worry about that. I am sure you will pay us back afterwards. Also consider it as a thank you for the wonderful gift you gave me.” Tonks said and hugged Drake, taking him by surprise. “It was very thoughtful.”

“You liked it?” Drake asked softly.

“Loved it! It was the best present anyone has ever given me.” Tonks muttered emotionally. Tonks pulled away from the hug and Drake was startled to see her eyes sparkling with tears but the soft smile she wore showed that they were tears of happiness.

“Thanks for your gift too! It will be very helpful for my job.”

“Alright you two, enough with the mushy stuff!” Jasmine said grinning, though she herself looked a little emotional.

“Right…shopping! Come on Drake!” and before Drake could protest any further, Tonks quickly transfigured their clothes to appropriate muggle attire and practically dragged him across the street with an amused Jasmine following closely.

That had been three hours ago. Presently Drake found himself walking beside Tonks as they made their way to the fourth shop in their little shopping trip.

“Haven’t we bought enough?” Drake grumbled.

“Nope!” Tonks said cheerfully.

Drake let out a frustrated sigh. “Look Tonks, I really appreciate this but frankly I don’t need so many clothes.”

“Of course you do!”

“And why’s that?” Drake asked raising an eyebrow.

“Well as per my agreement with Tom, you will be getting some free time from now on. You will be spending much of your free time in my company and I want my friend to be dressed properly.” Tonks said firmly.

“And what made you think that I would want to spend my free time with you if I have to go through this torture for it?”

Tonks suddenly stepped in front of Drake, startling him. She then lightly put her arms around Drake’s neck. Drake’s breath caught in his throat as he looked into Tonk’s violet eyes. “Well, because I am smart, cheerful, hot and most importantly, I am your favorite girl!” Tonks gave a seductive wink at the end and roared with laughter when Drake blushed furiously and wore a gobsmacked expression on his face.

“I think you broke him” Jasmine said, desperately trying to stifle the unladylike giggles.

After a few moments, Drake regained his composure and let out a breath he didn’t know he had been holding in. He looked around and saw Tonks giggling madly.

“You should have seen the look on your face.” Tonks said, trying and failing to stifle her giggles.

“Pleased to know that my embarrassment causes you much amusement” Drake said annoyed, though the corners of his mouth twitched slightly.

Jasmine looked on from the sidelines, greatly amused at their antics. From the little time she had known Tonks, she had realized that Tonks was a huge flirt and always had a witty statement or sexual innuendo ready for any occasion. Tonks had been somewhat dismayed when she had initially failed to make Drake blush like a child by her teasing and flirting. Since then she had upped the ante and if what Tonks had told her was to be believed, had made him blush five times till now.

Jasmine had also felt that Tonks was somewhat taken with Drake. Most of her stories revolved around him and she was most animated when she talked about him. Tonks may not have realized it but Jasmine felt that Tonks saw Drake as more than a friend.

Jasmine chuckled as she followed a protesting Drake and a cheerful Tonks (Tonks was practically dragging Drake) down the road. She couldn’t help but think that they looked good together.

xxxxxxxxxxx

An hour later, the shopping trip was finally over, much to Drake’s relief. It had been a torturous and embarrassing four hours. Drake had lost count of the number of times he had blushed that day. Tonks had used every opportunity to mercilessly tease him. She had asked him if he required any help in selecting his unmentionables. Then in another shop she had suggested buying some outrageous clothes to him. Drake had felt that he would rather die than be seen wearing those clothes. One such dress was an outrageous pink t-shirt with ‘Kiss Me’ written on its front in bold and shocking red color. According to Tonks, it was to help him with his ‘girl problem’. Tonks had been rather shocked when she had found out that Drake had never kissed a girl nor had he been in any sort of relationship with a girl before. She had promptly taken it upon herself to solve this so called ‘girl problem’, much to the dismay of Drake. The t-shirt incident had left Drake dumbstruck for exactly 10 minutes, something which Tonks had been kind enough to inform him.

“Finally it’s over!” Drake let out a huge sigh. “Let’s get back and we can have lunch at the bar.”

“Oh, I forgot to mention, today we are having lunch in Hogsmeade.”

Drake perked up. “Isn’t that the village near Hogwarts?”

“The very same. So shall we?” Tonks asked, smiling.

“Absolutely!”

“You guys go without me. I just remembered that I have some urgent work to do.” Jasmine said.

“You promised that you would spend the day with us.”Tonks said, disappointed.

“Sorry dear!” Jasmine apologized.

“We’ll miss you Jasmine” Drake said, hugging her. Jasmine had somewhat taken the role of an elder sister in Drake and Tonks’ life. Tonks had introduced Jasmine to Drake a few days after that fateful night. Jasmine had been extremely curious about what spell Drake had used to heal Tonks. After much pestering from both ladies, Drake had caved in and told them that he had used no spell. He had merely willed his magic to do what needed to be done. Both ladies had been shocked and very much awed by the revealation.

“Have fun guys!” Jasmine winked at them and Disapparated. Drake had a strange feeling that Jasmine had some ulterior motive behind her sudden need to leave.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hogsmeade was a small and the only all magical village in Britain. Dressed in Christmas decorations and with a thick layer of snow covering the streets and rooftops, Hogsmeade looked like a fairy tale village straight out of a Christmas greeting card.

It was snowing heavily but despite it and the mind-numbing cold, there was no shortage of people on the streets. The shops and restaurants were heavily crowded and Drake wondered if they would be able to find an empty seat in whichever restaurant Tonks was planning on taking him. They stopped outside a pub cum restaurant which was curiously named Three Broomsticks. It seemed to be one of the more popular places judging by the fact that it was even more crowded than the other shops.

“I don’t think we will be able to find a seat here” Drake said while pulling his scarf more securely around his ears.

“No matter, I just want to get away from the cold” Tonks said through chattering teeth.

Surprisingly they did manage to find an empty table. They chatted happily about trivial things as they devoured their food. After that Tonks took Drake on a trip through Hogsmeade, showing her favorite shops and often stopping to purchase some things she wanted. It came as no surprise to Drake when her favorite shop turned out to be a joke shop called Zonko’s. Tonks purchased something called Dungbombs from there. When inquired about their purpose, Tonks winked and said that were New Year present for Carl. Next they stopped by a ramshackled house called Shrieking Shack. According to Tonks, it was supposed to be haunted.

“Tonks, I can’t tolerate this cold anymore. Let’s just get a glimpse of Hogwarts and go back to the Leaky Cauldron.” Drake said, shivering.

“Yeah sure!”

A few minutes later, much to Drake’s puzzlement, they were entering Honeydukes, a sweetshop which they had passed by earlier. Drake shrugged, thinking that Tonks must be wanting to buy some sweets. However his curiosity returned when instead of going towards the counter, Tonks led him towards the back of the shop.

“Tonks, I don’t think we should be going in there.”

“Shh! Just follow me” Tonks whispered.

They entered the backroom which was filled with the shop’s excess stock. Drake curiously watched as Tonks examined the floor before opening a concealed hatch. Tonks beckoned Drake to follow her as she entered the newly revealed passageway. She closed the hatch behind Drake and lighted her wand. “Follow me!” Tonks said. Drake copied her actions before following her.

“Tonks, where does this passage lead?”

“Hogwarts!”

Drake was shocked. “Really? How did you find out about it?”

Tonks grinned and told Drake about a magical map of Hogwarts which she had nicked from the caretakers office in her first year. The map apparently showed all occupants of Hogwarts and every single path leading in or out of it.

“It’s the main reason why I never got caught.”

“Drake chuckled. “So how many times have you used this passage?”

Tonks grinned. “I have lost count. Suffice it to say that I hardly ever visited Hogsmeade the normal way!”

“Why am I not surprised?” Drake chuckled.

They walked for another 10 minutes and just when Drake was starting to get impatient, they reached a dead end or rather the exit. Tonks was just about to tap the stone that was blocking their path with her wand when she swore loudly.

“What’s wrong?” Drake asked worriedly.

“Shit! I just realized that I don’t have the map on me. Without it I won’t be able to tell if someone is present on the other side.”

“Oh!” Drake closed his eyes and concentrated on his powers. He expanded his senses and soon felt everything around him come to a halt. At that moment no sound, no smell, no physical being existed. What existed were Drake and a human shaped block of energy beside him. Drake further expanded his senses and pushed it beyond the blocked exit. Moments later, he opened his eyes and found Tonks looking at him curiously.

“The coast is clear” Drake stated.

Tonks was dumbstruck. “What? How did you know?”

“I can sense people in my vicinity if I focus”

Tonks looked awed. “Wow! That’s one hell of a useful talent!” Then Tonks tapped the stone which slid from its place to reveal a well-lit corridor.

“Welcome to Hogwarts!” Tonks said spreading out her arms in a dramatic fashion. Drake chuckled and stepped out of the passage.

“Ok, before we begin our tour, we need to cast Disillusionment Charm on ourselves. You know the charm, don’t you?” Tonks asked.

Drake smirked. “I do but I think I have a better idea.” Tonks looked questioningly at him. “Invisibility Charm!”

Tonks looked gobsmacked. “Does such a charm even exist?” she asked skeptically.

“Of course it does!” Drake said, annoyed that Tonks doubted him. He pulled out his wand and tapped once on his and Tonks’ head. Tonks felt a cold sensation spreading through her body and shuddered involuntarily.

“Well?”

“Well what?” Drake asked innocently.

“Well, you are still visible!” Tonks said frustrated.

“Of course I am!”

“Isn’t an Invisibility Charm supposed to make you invisible?”

“We are invisible, but only to others, not to each other.” Drake grinned.

Tonks’ jaw dropped to the floor. “Y-you mean s-selective invisibility?” she stuttered. Then she rushed towards Drake, startling him and grabbed hold of his hand. “You have got to teach me that! Please please pretty please!” Tonks pleaded excitedly, bouncing on her feet with puppy dog eyes on full blast.

Drake stroked his chin mock thoughtfully. “I don’t know Tonks, that’s a pretty big request! What can you offer me in return?”

Tonks looked a bit apprehensive. “What do you want?”

“Will you promise to never share this knowledge with anyone?”

“Yes!”

Drake smiled deviously. “Will you promise that you will use it to cause mayhem at the Academy?”

Tonks smiled evilly. “Oh, yes!”

“Will you promise to use it to give Carl some of his worst memories?”

“Absolutely!” Tonks purred.

“Will you share the stories of your exploits with me?”

“YES YES YES!”

“Then Tonks I will definitely teach you this spell!”

Tonks hugged Drake fiercely. “You are the best Drake!”

As they started walking, Tonks smiled and shook her head, “Will you ever cease to surprise me?”

“I hope not!” Drake quipped.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Two hours later, Tonks stood slumped against the wall, panting heavily while Drake watched with an amused smile on his face.
The two hour tour of Hogwarts had been fun but tiring. Tonks had shown Drake the numerous hidden shortcuts and passages present throughout the castle and told him stories of how she used to use them to escape from teachers or to sneak in the occasional snog. She had also shown him the various classrooms and the entrances of the four Houses. However, to Drake, the highlight of the tour had been when Tonks caught the caretaker’s cat Mrs. Norris unawares with a spell that dressed her in a cute pink wedding gown and a wreath of flower to go with it. The sight had made Drake roll around in laughter and it was thanks to a quick silencing charm from Tonks that had prevented the cat from becoming aware of their presence. When he had asked her about the reason behind that particular dressup, Tonks said that she was certain that Filch, who was the caretaker, and Mrs. Norris were in a serious relationship and the dress might provoke Filch to finally take the next logical step. That had made Drake laugh even harder, this time accompanied by Tonks.

“I am glad to see that my distress causes you amusement.” Tonks said, annoyed. “How come you are not tired even a bit?”

Drake chuckled. “I wake up at dawn and exercise for two hours every day, Tonks” Drake said with an air of informing someone that brooms were made of wood. Drake knew that Tonks was not a morning person and the only exercise she did was while dodging curses in a duel. “Come on let’s sit in that classroom. It will give us more privacy.”

They entered the classroom and found it to be an unused one. Broken desks and chairs were scattered everywhere. What caught their eye, however, was a large rectangular mirror standing in the middle of the room. It looked extremely out of place and looked as if it had been placed there recently.

“What the hell is a mirror doing here?” Tonks asked, perplexed. “Ah well, I can at least use it to straighten myself out.” She moved over and stood in front of the mirror. Then she gasped and took a step back.

“What’s wrong Tonks?” Drake asked in concern.

Tonks kept staring at the mirror and didn’t reply immediately. Then an awed smile broke out on her face. “I do not see my reflection! I look older and I am in my base form. I am also Head Auror and…I am married!”

“Wha-?”

Tonks stared longingly at the mirror. “Drake, do you think this mirror shows our future?”

“I don’t know…” Drake examined the mirror closely. He noticed some inscriptions on its intricately designed frame. After studying them, he looked at Tonks sadly. “It shows our heart’s deepest desire.”

“I hope it comes true someday.” Tonks muttered. Drake put an arm around her shoulder. “So do I, Tonks, so do I.”

“Step in front of the mirror, Drake. Let’s see what your desire is.”

Drake looked a bit uncomfortable at the prospect but did as he was told nonetheless. In the mirror, he saw his older self lying on his deathbed. On one side of the bed were two kids, obviously his, and on the other side was an old woman who was holding his hand and seemed to be crying. His wife! Her face was hidden by her graying hair. Drake stared wistfully at the image, a sad smile playing on his lips.

“What do you see Drake?” Tonks asked eagerly. She was taken aback when Drake turned to face her. Even though he was smiling, it was a sad smile. But it was his eyes that shocked Tonks. They looked so much older, as though they have seen things no sixteen year old should have seen. They looked like the eyes of some of the battle hardened Auror instructors at the Academy, only much more old.

“Drake…?” Tonks asked tentatively.

Drake sighed and his smile faded. He glanced at the mirror and whispered, “A wish that will never be fulfilled.”

“Drake, wha-?” Tonks began to say.

“We have much left to see and it’s getting late. Let’s continue with the tour.” Drake interrupted Tonks and putting his arm around her shoulder, led her out of the room.

Later that night when Tonks finally crawled under her blanket, her thoughts turned to the adventures of that day and…to Drake. She wondered what he might have seen in that mirror that had made him so sad. And those eyes…! She had always felt that there was more to Drake than meets the eye. She pondered over the mystery that was Drake. She shifted slightly in an effort to get more comfortable and her eyes fell on a framed photograph on her bedside table. It was the Christmas present from Drake. She picked it up and regarded it fondly. It was a photograph of Drake and herself, taken when they went to see a movie a few weeks back. The photograph in itself was nothing special but the note that accompanied it had made her cry and laugh with happiness at the same time.
‘Just Tonks and the Insufferable Bartender’
A simple sentence that spoke volumes about how much their friendship meant to Drake. She had been extremely happy when Drake said that he liked her present. She had been afraid that he may not like her present since she firmly believed that an Instant Grease Remover was nowhere near as thoughtful and personal gift as Drake’s was.

She wondered how in such a short time they had become such good friends. Ever since that fateful day, their friendship had grown in leaps and bounds. Since that day she had found herself spending most of her free time at the pub. Sometimes she and Drake went out for dinner or a movie after Drake’s shift ended. In just two and half months, Drake had become her best friend!

Tonks smiled softly as she put the photo back on the table. As she turned off the lights, she whispered, “Good night and sweet dreams, my friend!” before drifting off to sleep.

A/N2: I wanted to end Harry’s first year in this chapter but this idea came to me out off the blue! I know the shopping scene is kind of cliché but I have tried to make things a little original. Hope you like it! And for those who still haven’t figured out who Harry’s LI will be, check the summary.
The next chapter will end Harry’s first year but I don’t think I will be able to upload it before September. I am presently buried up to my neck in coursework.
Don’t forget to review!
Sign up to rate and review this story