Categories > Original > Drama

But Then Again, Maybe I Won't

by atomickilljoy 2 reviews

Inspired by MrsWayBeckett. Title is a Judy Blume book that I read in 5th grade. It's only fitting.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst - Published: 2012-09-03 - Updated: 2012-09-04 - 564 words - Complete

-1TrainWreck
I can't believe so much time has passed. We've gone from watching Saturday morning cartoons with a bowl of cereal to passing the time by chatting with friends on Facebook, going to malls, going to the movies, and more. It's just amazing how time can go by so fast. One day we're going to McDonald's with our parents, ordering the Happy Meal, hoping we get the toy we want, and then, all of a sudden, we're going to the movies with friends, hoping the movie you've chosen is funny. We also outgrowing things. One minute, we're waking up at 7 in the morning on weekends, hoping you haven't missed your favorite cartoon, and the next minute, we're waking up at 1 in the afternoon, hoping we our parents have made something awesome to eat.

The people we've once loved, adored, crushed on, dated, hated, and even looked up to will soon be replaced by new love interests, new mentors, and new enemies. As we move on in life, we're going to outgrow the people we've once loved or hated, whether they're celebrities or friends. Soon, we'll all be asking each other and ourselves "Pete who?", "Gerard who?", "Brendon who?", and not only with celebrities, but with friends. "Do I know you? ... We did? ... Wow, I guess I've must've forgotten". We're going to move on to other things, big or small, and when we do, everything happening now, will be forgotten. Only the crucial parts will survive.


One day, you're going to be in our car, on your way to work, turning up the radio on the news station to see what the weather's going to be like, and all of a sudden, you're going to hear "This morning, at _am, ________ has passed away due to " and then they'll name the cause of death, and you're going to say "Hey I used to listen to him/her". Then you'll realize exactly how much time has passed, and you're going to cry, not because you feel negatively of what you've become, but you're going to cry because you realize that the things you've vowed to never outgrow are somewhere in that poor excuse of a closet back at, where you now refer to as, 'home'. You're going to go back to your hone after your day is done and dig up your old CD's, pop them in whatever the hell you pop them in, and, like a tidal wave, nostalgia hits you. And that's when you realize that growing up isn't all it's cracked up to be, and the saddest part is thar none of it will have an effect on you. You'll just cry a bit, go to sleep, then emerge the next day, drink your coffee, and go to work. Like nothing has ever happened. Like you have never time traveled the night before. Like the people you used to admire, love, respect and look up to weren't people you have now forgotten, like a distant memory, or like something that never happened. They'll continue to be pushed to the very back of your head, being replaced with different and new people, day by day, until it seems as if they were nothing more but a distant memory, a small blur, and, one day, nothing at all.

I'm still going to eat cereal and watch cartoons when I'm older.

But then again, I maybe I won't.
Sign up to rate and review this story