Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco > Under City Lights

23- This Is How I Betray You

by XxPerfectTomorrowxX 3 reviews

Jon and Juliet are left feeling confused as they each face their own troubles.

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2012-09-16 - Updated: 2012-09-17 - 2225 words

1Exciting
“Chelsea, Chels- you have to go. I’m serious. Just go.” Brendon pushed Chelsea on to his front porch, sighing heavily as she refused to just walk away. She always had to make things difficult.

“You’re the one that invited me here.” Chelsea snapped. “I blew Spencer off for you.”

“Spencer?” Brendon was instantly confused, “Why the hell would you and Spencer be hanging out?”

Chelsea smiled and it was like the devil had possessed her. Or she’d possessed the devil, seeing as how she seemed to be the ultimate evil at times. “Are you jealous Bren?”

Brendon choked back his sarcastic response, “Why are you hanging out with Spencer?”

“That is between Spencer and myself.” Chelsea answered, leaning close to Brendon. Their lips barely touched and Brendon pulled away as quickly as he could.

“I told you it’s over Chelsea.” Brendon snapped, leaning close after having pulled away. Their lips didn’t touch as his words cut her deeply, leaving her shocked in place. “You’re just a slut, and you were fun for a while but I got bored. Now I have something better and I would never-“ He leaned even closer. Chelsea could feel his breath touch her face as he breathed out. “-ever give that up for you.”

Tears pricked at Chelsea’s eyes and Brendon blinked in slight confusion. He’d never actually made Chelsea cry before. She was kind of a cold hearted bitch. Still, he felt it necessary to make his feelings for her absolutely clear. He didn’t want her anymore. He never really did.

As Chelsea angrily stormed off, making sure to stomp her feet loudly, Brendon let out a huge sigh of relief. Now he was ready to apologize to Juliet. He was ready to try to make things right.

So he waited.







**



(Juliet’s POV)





I stood in place, just watching. I couldn’t hear them but I saw enough. Their lips touched and I hated them. I hated myself more though. I hated myself for thinking that anything with Brendon could work, or that he even cared.

I hated myself for being so stupid, and thinking I was so smart.

I hated that I was going to apologize to Brendon when he was the one who’d done something wrong. He betrayed my trust when he drugged me, and then he lied about it. He let me like him… and he didn’t have the decency to tell me the truth as my feelings so obviously grew.

I turned away before Chelsea or Brendon could see me but the walk back to my car wasn’t easy. I kept stumbling as tears clouded my vision. I felt so stupid. I didn’t want to cry over Brendon. I didn’t want to cry over anyone. I didn’t want to feel like this. It was so obviously wrong, because how could something right ever hurt so badly?

The radio blasted in my ears but I couldn’t even make out the words over my own self-hatred rant. I wasn’t sure if I was speaking out loud or if my thoughts were just overpowering my other senses.

It was pure luck that I made it to Ryan’s without crashing.

I didn’t even realize I was going to Ryan’s until I arrived. It was something I didn’t even think about. Ryan and Jon were outside talking. As I opened my car door I heard Ryan awkwardly laugh but then his laugh died away when he saw me. “Juliet, what the hell happened?” I got the hug I needed, but not from the person I’d been hoping for. My night had taken a disastrous turn and I didn’t want to hear another word from Brendon Urie.

“What happened?” Jon asked, after I didn’t answer Ryan.

I felt a second pair of arms wrap around me and though it was slightly suffocating I was forever grateful. “I just think I made a mistake ever leaving you two.” I answered, once the arms disappeared and I was able to brush the tears from my face. I tried to pretend that I was also brushing away my humiliation and shame. “I want to be here with my two best friends.”

Jon cracked a smile and threw his arm over my shoulder, “I wouldn’t have it any other way. Let’s get some ice cream guys.”

Ryan quietly agreed, and as Jon headed towards his car we followed him. I leaned towards Ryan, “So?”

Ryan shrugged, “Jon’s straight. I’m gay. And you’re crying.” He whispered the words so that Jon wouldn’t hear.

“I’m just tired.” I whispered, before opening the car door so that I could get inside.

Ryan placed his hand on my shoulder, stopping me. “Now you’re lying.”

I stole a glance at Jon. He was sitting in the driver’s seat, adjusting his mirrors. “I don’t think I’m the only one.”







**



“Hey Juliet, isn’t that… your cat?” Jon pointed behind me and I glanced over, completely confused.

“I don’t have a cat. Is there really a cat in here? I’m pretty sure that’s a health code violation, not that I don’t like cats…” I started ranting and immediately turned back to Jon, narrowing my eyes as he pulled his spoon from my bowl- taking with him some of my cotton candy ice cream. “Liar.” I rolled my eyes.

Ryan laughed, “You looked for a cat, in a freaking ice cream shop.” He pointed out, rubbing salt in to my wound of stupidity. “Come on Jules, where is your head tonight?”

“Yeah, you never told us what happened.” Jon said; mixing the cotton candy ice cream he’d stolen from me with his own strawberry ice cream. The colors looked delicious together, but the flavors didn’t sound so good. He had a stronger stomach than I did.

“Neither of you take a hint very well.” I frowned, “I just had second thoughts about going to Brendon’s.” Why was I lying to them? I guess I just didn’t want to admit how truly stupid I was. Brendon knew I was coming over and he still had Chelsea over. He didn’t care much about me, that much was obvious.

Ryan shook his head, “I thought we talked about this. You decided to hear him out.”

“I changed my mind.” I snapped, immediately feeling bad. “I’m sorry Ryan. I just don’t want to hear anything he has to say. I don’t want to even give him the chance to make me believe anything he has to say.”

“So that’s what it is.” Ryan said as he continued to shake his head. “You don’t want to put yourself out there again just because it didn’t go so well the first time. You’re just afraid. You’re afraid of what he will say, and you’re afraid of what you’ll feel. You can’t just shut down. That never works.” I heard his warning, though I was set on ignoring it.

“I already felt enough.” I didn’t feel like eating ice cream anymore. “I already gave him a chance and I don’t want to do it again. So what if I’m afraid? What does that change Ryan?”

“It changes everything.” Ryan answered, “It means you really care about him. It means that you want another chance with him. You just need to give him that chance. There is no shame in trying again.”

“There is.” I bit my lip, which was cold from the ice cream. “If I try again with him and- and he does it again then… then I’ll feel really stupid, and I already feel stupid. I don’t want to feel like this all over again, and if I do then it’ll be my fault- not his.”

“You’re letting your pride talk.” Ryan said. He sounded so disappointed. “You’re letting your brain win when it should have no part in this.”

“Without my brain my heart would be useless Ryan.”

Ryan snorted, “Your heart is useless Juliet. It’s not like you use it.”

That hurt.









**



(Third Person POV)





“What the hell was that about?” Jon asked angrily. Even he had left his ice cream on the counter as he was no longer hungry for it. The door had closed behind Juliet minutes ago but neither boy had spoken until now.

“She needed to hear it.” Ryan answered softly. He was frowning because he wasn’t happy. It didn’t make him happy to hurt his friends.

“Why?” Jon demanded, “Which side are you on Ryan?”

Ryan narrowed his eyes, “They are both friends of ours. Should we really be choosing sides here?”

“Yeah, we should.” Jon snapped. “Juliet is my friend; Brendon’s just some guy I happen to tolerate because he’s hooking up with one of my friends-or was. Remember, not so long ago… Brendon used to make your life a living hell. Now you’re making Juliet feel all alone because she’s in pain and doesn’t want to be in pain all over again by giving some douchebag a second shot at her heart. Brendon’s aim isn’t that terrible. I’m sure with a second chance he’ll be able to shatter it.”

“This isn’t about Brendon.” Ryan answered in the same snappy tone Jon was using. “It’s about Juliet. I’m friends with Brendon now because of Juliet. Juliet cares about Brendon. He makes her happy. He hurt her, but he was only able to because of how much Juliet cares about him. She needs to pull her head out of her ass and realize that. She needs to realize that mistakes happen- but that doesn’t mean you have to give up everything you feel for someone.”

Jon shook his head, “You’re wrong. I’m going to go make sure Juliet is okay. Why don’t you go hold Brendon’s hand, and help him plan the demise of her very being?”

“Don’t be so fucking dramatic.” Ryan stood as Jon did.

“Don’t be such a shitty friend.” Jon responded, “And figure out where your loyalties are. I already have. I’m with Juliet. You’re either with us, or with Brendon.”

Ryan watched as Jon left.

He shook his head, “Now we’re all on teams.” He muttered, rolling his eyes. “Which means someone has to win, and someone has to lose… which is exactly what I didn’t want.”





**



“I’m sorry I’m late. I got caught up with some old business.” Chelsea profusely apologized as her eyes landed on Spencer. He was even wearing a suit, though that was customary in such a high class restaurant.

“You’re apologizing?” Spencer smiled kindly, standing as Chelsea took her seat. He knew the game well. “You look great Chels.”

Chelsea beamed, “I was surprised you asked me out Spencer. You never really seemed interested.”

Spencer shrugged, “I’m not as front page with my emotions as the rest of the school but trust me Chelsea, I’m… interested.”





**



Brendon waited patiently, ears listening intently for any sounds of a car nearby.

Juliet said she was coming, and so he would wait.

He waited.

Juliet never came.





**



“You know what? Maybe we need something with a little less kissing.” Jon gently pulled away from Juliet so that he could change the DVD. “What about Wrong Turn?”

“It’s got romance in it.” Juliet answered, pulling her comforter tightly to her body.

“Texas chainsaw massacre? If I remember correctly there is some light romance but tons of gore and murder.” Jon glanced at the DVD collection, looking for the worst movie possible.

Juliet laughed, “That’ll work.”

Jon slipped the movie in and returned to bed.

“Are you staying the night?” Juliet asked, as she shifted to once again become comfortable.

Jon pulled his shirt off, “If you want me to then sure. We can even avoid school if you want.”

“I think that we should probably go to school.” Juliet shook her head, “I can’t avoid Brendon forever, or Ryan… I don’t understand why he had to say those things. Do you think he’s right?”

“Of course he’s not right.” Jon pushed back his disgust, “You need to look out for yourself and no one else.”

“Are you-“ Juliet stopped herself just in time, but Jon already had a feeling as to what she was going to ask.

“What Juliet?” He gazed down at her, “You can ask me anything. I’ll be honest with you. I’ll always be honest with you, even when everyone else seems like a liar.”

“Are you gay Jon?” Juliet bit her lip as she looked at Jon.

Jon breathed in sharply before leaning down. Juliet didn’t move as his lips gently pressed against hers. They kissed lightly, using only their lips during the small action.

When Jon pulled away they each looked away. Jon looked towards the television screen as Juliet stared blankly at the wall next to the television.

“I don’t know.” Jon finally answered.
Sign up to rate and review this story