Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Loose Lips Sink Ships

Chapter Eight: Surprises

by prettypoizon 1 review

Devin receives and unpleasant surprise

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Romance - Published: 2006-07-15 - Updated: 2006-07-16 - 792 words

0Unrated
Devin awoke the next morning, padded into the bathroom, and threw up. Patrick had already left for work. Devin's shifts didn't start until next week, so she crawled back into bed, shivering. Was she sick? This had been going on for a while now...she climbed out of bed and went back to the bathroom, and pulled the little pink box out of the cabinet. She gulped and took the test...one P...two Ps...three Ps. Devin shrieked and fell back against the wall with a thump. She was pregnant! No, no, no, this was all wrong!

Pete was lying in bed, staring at the ceiling when he heard Devin shriek, and then a soft thump. He jumped out of bed and stepped into the hallway. The bathroom door was open a crack. He remembered the last time he had opened the door while she was in there...the terrifying vision of her lifeless face and slashed wrists flashed through his mind...he took a deep breath and opened the door. Devin sat on the bathroom floor, holding a white stick. She looked up and dropped it.
"Pete!" she screamed, "Don't you know how to knock?!"
"I'm sorry! I heard you scream, and then I heard a thump, I thought you were hurt!"
Pete saw tears in Devin's eyes as she scrambled to retrieve the fallen stick, but Pete snatched it up.
"A pregnancy test? Damnit, Devin, this thing's positive!" breathed Pete.
Tears were now streaming down Devin's cheeks. Pete pulled her into a hug, setting the test down on the counter.
"How far along are you?" he whispered, rocking her gently.
"I've been throwing up every morning for a month."
"We had that martini party, Dev!"
"I know! I hope I didn't hurt the baby..."
"Oh, Dev...you have to tell Patrick."
"I can't! Pete, we've only been going out a few months!"
"But, Dev, you've known each other since high school, you're so close. This is good!"
"No, it's not! Patrick and I are only 22!"
Pete let Devin cry in his arms for a long time, and finally her tears dried and she pulled away.
"Pete, promise me you won't tell him. I have to do it myself..."
"I promise. But when will you tell him?"
"In good time..."
"Devin, you have to tell him."
Devin wiped her eyes and nodded.
"I just need some time," She sighed, "This will change our lives, and it might change the rest of the band's lives, too."

Patrick came home that night and sank onto the couch, exhausted. He could hear Pete talking in the phone in the kitchen, and the CD player was going in him and Devin's room.
"Devin! I'm home!" he called.
The CD player was switched off and Devin came into the living room, clad in pajama bottoms and Pete's black clandestine hoodie, which was much too big for her. Patrick frowned as she sat down next to him and cuddled up close.
"What's with the jammies and Pete's hoodie?"
"I wasn't feeling well today." She mumbled.
"That's too bad."
They sat in silence for a moment, and Devin tried to summon up the courage to tell Patrick about the baby.
"Patrick?"
"Hmm?"
"I...think I have the flu." She covered.
"Do you want me to take you to the doctors?"
"No!"
Patrick gave her a funny look.
"Why not?"
"I, uh, I don't like the doctors, I just need some...Tylenol."
"We have some in the medicine cabinet."
"Ok."
The two of them cuddled for a while. Devin was so scared...how was she ever going to tell Patrick this?

Pete hung up the phone with a smile. Tia was coming over tomorrow while Joe was at work. Patrick and Devin would both be at work, too. They could really take advantage of the alone time. He wandered into the living room.
"Hey, Patrick." He said, flopping down into the ugly green armchair.
"Hey."
Pete watched Devin. He could tell she was on the verge of tears as she snuggled into Patrick's chest. She was wearing his hoodie, and he had a feeling he'd be lending them out a lot more as she got bigger, or at least until she told Patrick about her surprise pregnancy and bought some maternity clothes.

Devin stood naked in front of the bathroom mirror. She was starting to show already; there was a faint bulge around her slim middle, but it was definitely there. With tears in her eyes, she cast a longing glance at Patrick's razor. She looked down at her wrists; the scars stared up at her. She sighed and dressed herself in a pair of pink sweat pants and Pete's hoodie. She couldn't go down that road again.
Sign up to rate and review this story