Categories > TV > Xena: Warrior Princess > Pebbles

Memories

by ukeueue 0 reviews

The water ripples and churns. A series of ficlets. 59 - "I'm disgusting like this."

Category: Xena: Warrior Princess - Rating: G - Genres: Angst - Characters: Ares - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2012-10-04 - Updated: 2012-10-04 - 292 words - Complete

0Unrated
59. Memories
17 April, 2007
X/A – Man, I'm so mean to Ares. (Goes back to panicking about finals)


When she pushed open he door, Ares was sitting at the foot of his bed, looking out the window.

"Hey," she said. "I brought lunch."

He gave her a lopsided smile and accepted the tray.

"You have your hair up today, Gabrielle," he said, picking up the spoon.

"Yeah, it's getting long, lately."

He frowned at his soup and said, "Where's Xena, Gabrielle?"

She chuckled at his plaintive tone. "It's harvest time, remember? Xena is out in the fields. When she comes back with the flour, I'll make your favourite bread, alright? Would you like that?"

He looked up, nodding, and his eyebrows lifted with a look of mild surprise. "Your hair is up today, Gabrielle."

She tried to suppress the wince that crossed her face, but he noticed it.

Ares lifted a hand to the thick scar running over his temple onto his forehead. "I'm disgusting like this."

"Of course not," Gabrielle said forcefully. "You're my family. We love you."

A smile flitted across his lips, and he ate. When he put his spoon down again, he reached under his bed and pulled out a scroll and a quill before looking up.

He smiled at her and said, "You have your hair up, today."

Gabrielle nodded and lifted the tray from his lap. "Yeah, I do."

She left the room quietly and without looking at the scroll when he rolled it open. A dozen or more just like it lay under his bed, and she'd caught a glimpse some months ago. They were filled from end to end with the words "I love you, Xena" in the messy, hurried scrawl of someone terrified of forgetting.
Sign up to rate and review this story