Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Orphan Two

[A/N] - This update is for Shayla_Boo :)

Sister Abigail handed Gerard and Jennifer a case file with a small picture of Penina grinning clipped to the front of it "For the most part she's an ideal child." Sister Abigail told them "She's originally from Russia but her English is flawless, she's extremely smart and very mature for her age. I don't think I've ever had to tell her anything twice and I've never had to clean up after her. She's a bit of a neat freak."

"I think we can handle that." Gerard nodded.

"She's also fiercly independant. Whatever the children want to do, she wants to do the opposite."

"She told me they make fun of her." Gerard said defensively, almost as if Penina were his real daughter.

"I'm sure they do but she doesn't make things any easier on herself." Sister Abigail sighed "She just doesn't seem interested in friends. She doesn't even play like a normal child. She just reads and paints. Most of the time she doesn't even speak."

"Why do you think that is?" Jennier asked.

"Well, like most of the girls here, there's been no shortage of hardship in her life. She's been orphaned twice. Her birthmother died of AIDS, then the American family who adopted her were killed in a house fire. And I strongly suspect she's been sexually abused as well."

"By who?" Jennifer asked, sitting up straight and paying full attention.

"I don't know. There's nothing in her history but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Russian adoption records are notoriously unreliable."

"Then what are you basing this on?" Gerard wondered, getting fairly irritated.

Sister Abigail hesitated, wondering how much to tell them "I wish I knew. There's just something missing with her. A spark you see in a child's eyes that isn't there. I've only seen that before in cases where the child had been severly traumatized. It might also explain some of her idiosyncratic behaviours."

"Like what?"

"She refuses to shower or change clothes with the other girls. She won't even allow the house mother in the bathroom with her. She's also very concerned with her physical appearance for her age. She's like a teenager getting ready for school every morning. She insists on wearing dresses everyday. The ribbons round her wrists and neck stay on day and night. The only trouble we've ever had was when we tried to take them off her. She kicked two of Sister Francis' teeth out." Gerard and Jennifer both shot each other a concerned look and Sister Abigail sighed "Sorry. I'm not trying to discourage you. If you're serious then I'll do everything I can to expedite the process, given the circumstances. My one reservation is this. When an adoption fails it's usually because the parents didn't know what to expect. And in this case, I can't tell you what to expect because the plain fact of the matter is that I don't know."

Gerard looked at Jennifer "She really did open up to us, didn't she?" Gerard smiled.

"She latched right onto you." Jennifer suddenly smiled, liking the idea of adopting Penina "We're probably the best chance she has at a normal life."

"A normal life." Gerard grinned "That sounds really good, doesn't it?" Gerard hugged Jennifer and kissed the top of her head.



Jennifer held out her hand and Penina took it. In her other hand she was holding a dog eared bible held together by an elastic band. The two of them walked towards the car. On the playground all the other girls looked over at her. No one was sorry to see Penina go but Penina ignored them all and looked up at Jennifer. Jennifer looked down at her and smiled "Happy to be going home?" She asked. Penina nodded and looked back down rather nervously.

Jennifer stopped walking and turned around to see Sister Abigail "If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to call." Sister Abigail told her.

Before Jennifer got the chance to reply, Penina tugged on her arm impatiently "Come on! Let's go!" Jennifer laughed and let Penina drag her away.

"We will." Jennifer promised, turning her head round quickly to smile at Sister Abigail.

Sister Abigail smiled and waved at the car Penina and her new Mother had got into until it disappeared round the corner. Then her smile faded and she looked vaguely troubled about what she'd seen.



Penina looked out the car "Is this your house?" She asked. Jennifer nodded "It's beautiful motta!"

Jennifer laughed "Sweetie, here we say 'Mom' or 'Mommy'."

Gerard pulled up into the drive and got out the car. He took Penina's suitcase and Jennifer took Penina's hand then they went inside. Eva, Mia and Jude were sat on one sofa. Shayla and Mazy were sitting on another sofa and Frank and Valeria were standing in the kitchen making dinner. Jude looked Penina up and down "Holy shit..."

Mia jumped up and ran over to her Dad "Daddy!" She shrieked and held out her arms.

Gerard lifted her up "Oh, we missed you so much!" Gerard told her, kissing her cheek. Gerard put her back down and turned to Penina. Mia suddenly turned a little shy and hid behind Gerard slightly "Hey Mia, this is your new sister Penina."

"I thought she was called Meredith." Mia whispered.

Gerard took a deep breath "Meredith... Couldn't come home with us. So we adopted Penina instead."

Mia crept forward slowly and held out her hand shyly "Hello." She whispered.

"Hello Mia." Penina grinned, shaking her hand "It's great to meet you."

"Eva, Jude, come on over." Jennifer waved at them both "Penina, this is your older sister Eva. She doesn't talk much but she listens." Penina waved shyly at her "And this is your brother Jude."

"I'm not her brother!" Jude snapped, storming out of the room.

"Just ignore him, he's in a bad mood because it took so long for Mommy and Daddy to get home." Mia giggled "Anyway! These are our friends Shayla and Mazy. They're Frankie's children."

"Do you wanna see the rest of the house?" Jenifer asked and Penina nodded excitedly.
Sign up to rate and review this story