Categories > Cartoons > Avatar: The Last Airbender > The Chimeras

The Lady Mimiko

by CheshireMusing 0 reviews

Could there be more to the Lady Mimiko than meets the eye?

Category: Avatar: The Last Airbender - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama - Characters: Zuko - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-07-17 - Updated: 2006-07-17 - 1011 words

1Ambiance
Chapter Two: The Lady Mimiko

Evening was falling fast as Mimiko took them over to the smithy. The man working as blacksmith was tall and thin, with a weathered face and short steel gray hair cut close to his skull. Mimiko introduced him as Suoh. He nodded to both Iroh and Zuko with no sign of surprise or displeasure that they were Fire Nation.

"Suoh has been on the island as long as I have," Mimiko told them. "He's one of most trusted friends. We and a few other set sail from the Earth Kingdom following my coordinates nearly...oh goodness, 20 years ago, wasn't it, Suoh?"

"About that, yes," Suoh replied. He regarded Iroh and Zuko with a careful eye.

After the smithy, they were taken through the woods on a thin path through the trees. They reached a small cabin that looked inhabitable. Mimiko tapped on the door and waited a moment. Eyes stared out from a crack in the wall, narrow and suspicious. They locked onto Zuko before anyone else. Mimiko tapped again, this time to draw the attention of the person inside to her. "It's alright, Noshi."

Noshi stepped out of the cabin, but kept a distance from Iroh and Zuko. She was extremely thin and had a worn look about her. Her hair was long and unkempt, but she was clean and dressed well. "They're Fire Nation," Noshi muttered, casting a glare Mimiko's way.

"Yes they are," she said. "They are also in hiding from their own nation. Not here to cause harm to us. Iroh here is an old friend of mine in fact."

Noshi nodded quickly and then ducked back into her cabin. Mimiko shook her head and gave a heavy sigh. "Let's head back," she said, "before night falls."

Indeed, the sun was only a sliver on the horizon. They went back to the main house and Mimiko showed them rooms on the second floor that they could use. "When the other refugees and I came here, we thought to build a large enough home to house a vast number. We thought we could create a community. So far, it hasn't happened. Right now, there are only Suoh, Noshi, and scattered others who rarely come close. Oh, and Cade, of course."

Zuko lay across the bed for hours after Mimiko and Iroh left him there, with too much on his mind to rest.
________________________


The next morning, Zuko ventured out of the house without his uncle or the Lady Mimiko. He stayed clear of the smithy and went towards the training ground instead.

"/Hai/!"

Zuko stopped a few yards from the ring, staring in awe.

Cade was sparing with the old blacksmith, Suoh, each of them holding duel swords. The blacksmith moved with a speed that Zuko could have never imagine the old man was capable of. But if he was amazing, then Cade was god-like. She was lightning fast, landing blow after blow on Suoh. He was wearing old-fashioned armor to protect against her blades, but she wore no protection at all.

"She's much better with weapons than she is with bending," came Mimiko's voice from behind him. He turned to find her standing a few feet away, also watching the sparing match. "Most likely because the teacher is better. Suoh was a general in the Earth Kingdom's army before they retired him." She laughed softly, "Your uncle has given her the name 'Chimera'. You know what a chimera is, don't you?"

Zuko nodded. "A fire-breathing monster made up of very different creatures." He thought it suited Cade rather well.

She studied Zuko for a moment and then gestured to him, "Walk with me a moment, young prince."

Zuko hung back a moment and then followed her.

Once they were a fair distance away from the house and training ground, she spoke. "You don't like me much, do you, young prince?"

Zuko didn't reply.

"You also don't like the fact that your uncle is so fond of me," Mimiko continued when he remained silent.

Zuko took a deep breath and then answered, "I just don't see how he can trust you so much when your loyalties belong to the Earth Kingdom."

"Hmph." Mimiko shook her head. "My loyalty is first and foremost to my heart, young prince, and your uncle holds a place in that heart. Iroh and I have an understanding when it comes to my other loyalties."

"He says that he met you while in the army," Zuko reminded her. "How exactly did that happen?"

The corner of her mouth twitched as she found a smile. "Like my mother before me, young prince,...I was a camp follower. I made my living 'entertaining' soldiers during the war." She paused as she saw a slight blush creep across Zuko's face. She snorted in a very un-ladylike way. "We do what we have to do to survive, Prince Zuko. Keep that in mind before you judge me harshly." She ducked under a low hanging branch and went on. "Anyhow, your uncle was one such soldier. And though we're not really supposed to become involved with the men we entertain, I found that I enjoyed your uncle's company. We'd spend hours talking and laughing about our lives. We found in each other an escape from the brutality of war. He helped me become more than just a camp follower. When he learned of my small firebending skills, he found me a teacher and I became a fire-dancer. I earned my living in a more honorable fashion thanks to your uncle."

Zuko walked in silence, not really knowing what to say. Mimiko smiled softly as they walked beside one another. "Do you have any more questions for me, Prince Zuko?" she asked after they'd walked a few minutes without speaking.

Zuko hesitated. "...Why are you so determined to help Cade?"

Mimiko gave him a cheshire grin. "Well, young prince, if we 'chimeras' don't look after one another, who will?"

Zuko stopped walking. Mimiko watched him a moment before shaking her head again, turning, and walking away.
Sign up to rate and review this story