Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A New Beginning

Chapter 11

by jon08 0 reviews

I have always thought that a lot is left out of the books about Dudley. What did he see when the dementors attacked him? Why did he put that cup of tea out for Harry? Did he try to change himself...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Angst - Characters: Dudley,Justin - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2012-11-01 - Updated: 2012-11-01 - 2677 words - Complete

0Unrated


A New Beginning.

By Jon08



Rating: K+ I think, slight bad language by Dudley.



Disclaimer: I have no rights to these characters, they being the sole property of JK Rowling and am making no money from said story.



I have always thought that a lot is left out of the books about Dudley. What did he see when the dementors attacked him? Why did he put that cup of tea out for Harry? Did he try to change himself because of it?



Chapter 11



After the New Year it was back to the daily routine of school and the teachers were all trying to impress on us, the importance of our exams coming up later that year in June. I dreaded it. I hated exams, anasty excuse for pupil torture if ever I heard one, but try to convince the teachers of that, you'd probably end up in detention till you were 30. The only high point was Lisa and I were together a lot more. Not only were we spending time together in school, but we were spending time outside school together as well. Even if it was more studying. I must admit, studying with a pretty girl certainly made it more interesting, but it still wasn't my idea of fun.



News on Potterwatch had been scarce; there was still no news of Harry or his friends. We had heard one report from 'Ridgeback' that everyone should do their best to support Harry and thwart the Death Eaters. I thought I recognised the voice and was told by Lisa and Justin, that it had been Hagrid, the half giant who'd come to collect Harry on his eleventh birthday. My first encounter with magic. Blimey, I remembered the embarrassment of that bloody pigs tail. Mum and Dad spent a fortune for me to have that 'unusual wart' removed from my bum. I was sure there was probably a write-up in some medical work about it. Thankfully my real name was never mentioned. Could you imagine that? Going to the doctor, and him saying 'ah, yes, you're the one who grew a pig's tail'. How embarrassing would that be?



I didn't understand the name 'Ridgeback' until it was explained to me that Hagrid was obsessed with dragons and even wanted one as apet. Apparently the Norwegian Ridgeback was a breed of dragon. They even had different breeds of the things? I'd always assumed that dragons just were. I'd never given any thought to different breeds, Norwegian Ridgeback, Welsh Green, Hebridean Black, Peruvian Vipertooth, Ukrainian Ironbelly, there was countless breeds. Where were they hiding them? I hope I never met a bloody dragon. Apparently the way most muggles encountered them was as dinner. If they saw a dragon in the distance, they had their memories modified by the ministry.



As school was getting ready to close down for Easter, the workload was made even more intense by mock exams. As if it wasn't bad enough we had to sit the real ones, the ruddy teachers were making us take pretend exams to prepare us for the real torture to come. Another perfectly good holiday going to be ruined by waiting for some exam results. Pointless torture for already stressed out students. They really should arrest all bloody teachers for child abuse.



All that aside, I thought, I'd actually done well in my mock exams. At least I'd known the answers or thought I did. I hadn't had the panic that I'd had with my GCSE's whilst at Smeltings. I'd only just managed to scrape passes in them. It was only through some serious talking on Dad's part, that I'd been allowed stay on to take A levels. Hard work, friends and really wanting to achieve something seemed to be doing me some good.



*

During the Easter holidays, we got some real news of what was happening to Harry through Potterwatch.



"... now for a special report from Reebok, news of an exciting rescue and daring escape."



"Thank you Jordan. Luna Lovegood, Mr. Ollivander, a goblin called Griphook and I were being held in a cellar at the home of a Death Eater. One night, some new captives were brought in. Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. Whilst the Death Eaters were amusing themselves upstairs by torturing Hermione, Harry managed to summon help in the form of Dobby, the free house elf. Mr. Ollivander, Luna, Griphook and I were taken by Dobby to a secret location, and Dobby went back for the others. They all escaped successfully, but unfortunately Dobby died in Harry's arms at the secret location, and is now buried where he fell. Everyone else is now in hiding at a secret location."



"Thank you Reebok. In a small aside to that it must be said there was a raid on the home of

Ministry employee, Arthur Weasley. The house was deserted, all possessions gone; the only occupant was a ghoul who'd been spelled to look like youngest son Ronald with Spattergroit. Fortunately, Ginny Weasley, the daughter had been home for Easter. So, wherever the Weasley family is now, we wish them all the best..."



Justin, Lisa and I sat in silence after hearing this broadcast. Harry was safe and had got away from serious danger.



"What I want to know," said Lisa "is how they were captured in the first place?"



"I've got one theory, Harry is one of the few people Iknow who uses 'You Know Who's' real name. If he'd said it, it would have attracted the attention of snatchers. They'd have taken them straight to wherever'You Know Who' has set up headquarters. Sounds like he wasn't at home. Such a pity."



"Bloody lucky I say. The first thing he would have done is to kill Harry. Who was that Reebok? Did you recognise the voice?"



"I think it was Dean Thomas, he's a Muggleborn in Gryffindor, same year as us. Good friend of Harry, Ron and Hermione."



"I wish I could speak with him, get some firsthand news about Harry, how he is. It's worrying that he's out there doing all this dangerous stuff, and I might never get to see him again. I really wasn't best cousin in the world to him."



*

A few days later, the three of us were walking through the dunes just talking about what our plans were after the exams when we came across something strange. There was asmall area of sand that had normal grass, with a small headstone at one end. Neatly carved into the headstone were the words;

'Here lies Dobby

A Free Elf'



"Harry was here, only a few days ago, wasn't Dobby was the house elf that died to free them all. Who would they have come here to? Who do they know in Tinworth?"



"I don't know, but I think I can guess," replied Lisa."Bill and Fleur Weasley, Ginny was visiting them at New Year, they must live in the area."



"Do you think he could still be here, could we find him?"I asked. Justin and Lisa looked at me, obviously realising something I wasn't. "What am I missing? You've obviously realised something I haven't!"



"Remember on Potterwatch, they said everyone is in hiding at a secret location. They'll be protected under the Fidelius Charm. We could be standing in the front garden of the house; they were hiding at and never know. I'm sorry, but even in Bill and Fleur are still in Tinworth, unless they find us, they might as well be living in the moon. We could pass them on the street and not recognise them."



"But hang on, you recognise me, when we meet up, I'm protected by the same charm. How come we wouldn't recognise them?"



"It's slightly different, we first met after the charm had been cast, so I know you first as Dudley and I can talk to you about school and Harry, but if Lisa and I are talking about you and you're not there. We can only talk about you, not your relationship with Harry. It's like you stop being his cousin when you're not there. There are different things that can be protected with the charm. It's your exact location and relationship to Harry that's protected, but it could have been cast so that nobody would notice you at all. You could have danced naked in the middle of Trafalgar Square and no-one would even notice you."



"I never realised it was that complex. Could it make Mum and Dad forget they hate Magic and Harry?"



"No! Feelings can't be touched by the charm. You'd need to erase all their memories of Harry and Magic and put new ones there. Basically rebuild their personality from the bottom up. I wouldn't recommend it."



"Me neither. They might change for the worst. At least I know that if I don't mention magic or Harry in front of Dad, he's reasonable. I'm still not sure of Mum though, I'm almost positive she's been listening to Potterwatch outside my bedroom door. But I can't prove it. She's not said anything that bad about magic either. Whenever she calls some witch or wizard a freak in my hearing, I almost get the feeling it's done for Dad's benefit. The venom behind her words has gone. I don't want to risk anything by asking her either, in case I'm wrong." We sat by Dobby's grave, contemplating the fact that we might have been close to Harry and not known it. It was frustrating, if only I'd known, when he was here.



"I remember Dobby from school. During one meeting of the DA, he appeared in the middle of the classroom and warned us that Umbridge was coming to get us. It was almost comical in its way. He couldn't refer to Umbridge by name, couldn't tell us anything definite, but he got his meaning across. He looked almost comical, wearing a tea cosy on his head, odd socks and a jumper he'd knitted himself. He tried to punish himself for warning us. It seems to be atrait of house elves, when we first got Biskit, she would punish herself if she thought she'd done something wrong. It was only when we told her that she was forbidden to punish herself that it stopped."



"I remember just before 6th year, when Dumbledore came to collect Harry, he told him he'd inherited his godfather's house, but there was some dispute and he called a house elf. It was the most disagreeable thing I've ever seen. Didn't want to belong to the Potter brat, but Mistress Bellatrix. Dumbledore told Harry to give him an order, and Harry said 'creature, shut up!'"



There was a loud crack and there was a house elf in an old pillowcase, with a gold locket around his neck, standing on the grave in front of us. "Who has summoned Kreacher? Kreacher belongs to Master Harry, where is he?"



"I'm sorry creature, I think that was me; I was telling my friends of when I first saw you. I didn't know it would call you."



"How are you calling me? Kreacher is bound to follow orders from family of his Master only. Master Harry has no wizard family. Only mud... muggles."



"I'm sorry, but I'm his muggle cousin, but I have this,"I produced the wand I'd been given on the first day. "It allows me to see things hidden by magic. It must also make me able to call you. Could you please tell me do you know where Harry is?"



"Kreacher has not seen Master Harry, since he left for Ministry of Magic. That night master's house was invaded by servants of 'You Know Who'. Kreacher was forced to throw them out. He has not heard from Master since then. If Master Harry were to call for Kreacher he could go to him, but Kreacher cannot find Master without being called."



"I'm sorry too. We were talking about Dobby and Imentioned the first time I met you. You didn't want to serve Harry, what changed?"



"Master Harry was kind to Kreacher, gave him his own Black family heirloom for himself, Master Regulus' locket." He placed his hand reverently on the locket hanging at his chest. "Asked Kreacher how Master Regulus had died, Kreacher could tell Master Harry as he was not part of family. Master Regulus had only forbidden Kreacher to tell family."



"Thank you Kreacher! I hope you find out about Harry soon. I worry about him as well. I understand I can't give you orders, but if you see Harry would you tell him that Dudley says he's sorry, and wants to make peace?"



"When Kreacher next see's Master Harry, he will pass your message on if he can Master Dudley. Now Kreacher must be getting back to Master's house." With that he vanished with a loud crack.



"Blimey, he's changed his attitude. He didn't want to serve the Potter brat, now it's all Master Harry. Everybody seems to like him, except Mum and Dad."

*

Back to school and the work really began to pile up. On top of that we were encouraged to write to the universities we wished to go to after school. The results of our mock exams would be included in with these to give some indications of our results. I was surprised to find I had done rather well in my mock exams. The teachers were genuinely pleased with me and were encouraging me to go on to university.



I had a problem with it all though, how could I write to them and give a return address for the replies, it was protected. I couldn't tell anyone where I lived even my new best friend or girlfriend. Justin had a similar problem. Our reticence in filling out the forms was noted and for the first time we were both sent to see the Headmaster, Mr. Prewett.



"What seems to be the problem boys? Don't you want to go to university next year? Why aren't you filling out any applications?"



I decided to be blunt. "Our addresses are secret Sir, we can't put them in writing or tell each other or even say them out loud."



"I see, Fidelius Charm eh?"



We both looked at him in surprise. "Are you a wizard Sir?" I asked.



"Squib. I'm related to Molly Weasley. Used to be an accountant, got into teaching several years ago. Now I'm the head here. Can't do any magic myself, but I know all about it. Write your applications, putting the school address down in place of your own; I'll get one of the other teachers to enchant it so the universities are unaware of any discrepancy."



"There are wizard teachers at the school?"



"Just the one, and I can't tell you who it is, the Fidelius charm again, they were also a muggleborn, but your problem will be sorted out."



We thanked him and left the office. I looked at Justin, "any idea, who it is?"



"None. If they were muggleborn, the name wouldn't necessarily be known to me, it could be anything. If the teacher was female and married as well, the name would have changed then. I've never noticed any teachers doing anything suspiciously magical either. But there must be wizards working all over this town; there's the librarian, the newsagent and someone in the taxi office so there must be more."



"True, but it's fun to speculate."



From my reading of wizard history and the list of universities available I had decided on three I wanted to apply to, all because they were near wizard locations. I knew about that side of my family history now and even if Harry wasn't ready to forgive me, I didn't want to give up that side of my family. It might provide me some leeway in the future





Author Note: Ron mentions his Mum having a second cousin or something who's an accountant in Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 6. It's a reasonable hypothesis, that he could have changed jobs, after all Ron didn't know that much.



Sign up to rate and review this story