Categories > Original > Drama > Chicana

Dairy Queen is Ideal

by sickly_ill 0 reviews

“Nah, man. Got my girl knocked up, so no parties for me for a while, man.” Marcelino answers. He seems a little bummed out.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [!!!] [X] - Published: 2012-11-06 - Updated: 2012-11-06 - 3203 words

0Unrated
I see Armando and some blonde, white chick. She’s sitting on top on the washer with legs wrapped around Armando’s waist. Her tight dress hiked up to her navel. Armando’s pants around his ankles. They both look over at me with panicked expressions. I put my hands over my eyes and run away. I get into the kitchen and Marcelino looks at me. “What’s wrong, babe? You okay?” He puts down his empty plate onto the counter and comes my way.
“Damn, you look as white as a ghost.” I hear Yas come into the kitchen. When I don’t say anything, Marcelino panics.
“Babe, tell me what’s wrong?” I hear the worry in his voice.
“Armando….guerra…” I mutter. Just then Armando and the girl come out to the kitchen. Marcelino looks over my shoulder and asks, “What happened?” Just then Marcelino and Yas put two-and-two together. Marcelino laughs.
“You walked in on ‘em fuckin’, didn’t you?” Marcelino looks down at me. I nod. He shakes his head with a smile. “Y’all are gonna have to finish up somewhere else, man. Sorry for the interruption.”
“It’s all good.” I hear Armando say. My back still to him. “Raquel, sorry.” He says. I just turn red. I turn around and giggle a little.
“Please, take your viejas somewhere else from now on, okay? I don’t wanna see your bare ass anymore.” I laugh. We all crack up. Even the blond. “What’s your name?” I ask her once everyone has stopped laughing.
“I’m Lauren.” Her voice like silk. She extends her hand and I shake it gingerly.
“I’m Raquel. Armando’s sister.” I smile.
“You didn’t tell me you had a sister!” She grins and playfully hits Armando’s arm. “It’s so nice to meet you! He hasn’t even let me meet you dad yet. Tell me, is he that bad?” I laugh.
“No. It’s just, Armando has never really has brought a girl home before.” I say. She just nods. Then, she looks down at my baby bump.
“How far along are you?” She asks politely.
“About three months.” I nod. “It’s a boy.”
“Aww, so cute!” She smiles. “And I assume you’re the dad.” She looks at Marcelino.
“Uh, yeah!” He smiles. “Marcelino.” He waves.
“Hi,” she grins. She has perfect white teeth. “How did you guys meet?”
“Mutual friends.” I say. “How did you meet this kid over here? You seem to pretty for him.” I ask.
“Oh, no. Armando and me met at the grocery store. He was having some trouble with the self-check out so I offered to help him. He seemed really nice. And just as I’m about to walk away he asks me if I wanted to grab some coffee or something.” She looks over at him in admiration.
“And you said yes to this fool?” I make a face. She just giggles.
“No,” she shakes her head. “But every Sunday after that I saw him at the store. And every time he asked me out.” Armando wrapped his arm around her waist. “Until I finally got annoyed and said yes.”
“Yes, he has that effect on people.” I roll my eyes. “Now, I’m curious, when did you make the decision to go on a date with this fool again?” I giggle.
“When he opened the door of the coffee shop and came in with such pride and grace. In his black leather jacket.” He looks at him again. He’s just smiling at her.
“Well,” I nod. “That’s quite a story.” I say.
“Yeah, well your brother is the most honorable man I’ve ever met.” She smiles. “And I’m the proudest woman to say that I’m in love with him.” Love?
“What the hell did you put in her coffee, Armando?” I go up to her and check her eyes. “She seems a little delusional.” I inspect her again. She just giggles.
“He didn’t put anything in my coffee. It might sound totally nuts, but it’s true.” She smiles. “Every word.”
“Then why haven’t you brought her over before, douche?” I smack Armando in the arm.
“Honestly, because she’s white.” He says. “I didn’t think Dad would approve because she can’t whip up tortillas like Mom, or you.” He admits with a shrug.
“Damn! I don’t give a shit! Yas is rez Indian and I don’t have a problem with him!” I defend. Armando chuckles.
“Yeah, but his skin is still brown.” Armando says.
“True,” I shrug. “But, seriously, I don’t have a problem with it. I’m sure the white girl can learn to make some traditional dishes for you.” I smile.
“Oh, I would love to learn to make good, authentic Mexican food!” She beams.
“I like this girl.” I nod and then head to the stove. I cut her a slice of lasagna and put some salad on her plate. “Here,” I hand her the plate. “Eat up.”
“I would, but I already ate. Before, uh….yeah.” She jerks her thumb over her shoulder as a motion to the laundry room.
“Oh,” I laugh.

I get ready for bed in our new room. I get comfortable under the covers when Marcelino jumps on the bed. “Do you like the sheets?” He jokes.
“They’re fine, babe.” I yawn. “Now, go to sleep.”
“Fine.” He says flatly and turns around to sleep on the other side of the queen size Temper-Pedic. I sigh.
“Baby, you know I didn’t mean it like that.” I turn, to meet his back. “I’m just tired.” I scoot and spoon him. I hear him breathe deeply.
“I know. Sorry. I just wanna be playful before we sleep. Like we used to be. All cute and cuddly and shit.” He says.
“We still can be.” I whisper into his ear. My hands wonder down and run over his firm ass.
“Aye!” He moves away from my touch.
“I thought you wanted to play.” I start to nibble on his earlobe. I kiss his neck and then his shoulder. He moans. He suddenly turns to me and kisses me deeply. I smile.
We make out for a little while. But it didn’t go farther than that. We were both too tired to take it further. So, instead, we spoon and fall asleep.

I wake up and get ready for school. Marcelino helps me get into my jeans. “We need to buy you some of those stretchy maternity pants.” He zips my zipper as I lay on the bed. I laugh.
“For real, babe.” He helps me up and I put on one of my baggy dress shirts. I don’t try and hide my baby bump. I could care less. I just don’t wanna stretch out my tight shirts and never be able to wear them anymore ‘cause I stretched ‘em out.
“And some bigger shirts.” He notes as well. “We’ll go after school.” Marcelino wraps his arms around my waist and pulls me closer. My belly creating space between us.
“Okay. But they can’t be ugly! I don’t wanna look like an old mom that’s on her third kid. I wanna look good.” I say.
“Dully noted.” He says.
“Why?” I furrow my brows.
“’Cause I don’t want you to be that hot mom all the guys label as a MILF.” I can tell he’s starting to get angry.
“I won’t be!” I argue. “I just wanna look good for you!” I kiss him, but he doesn’t kiss me back. “Marcelino, don’t get mad. You should know by now that I only have eyes and love for you.”
“Yeah, I know. But guys don’t give a shit if you have a boyfriend or not! They see you alone and they move in!” He’s getting angrier by the second. I see pure hate and jealously in his eyes. I take his face into my hands and make him look at me.
“Fine, babe. I’ll wear whatever you want me to. I just want you to be happy.” I look him in the eyes. “Now, just…calmate.” I say. He sighs and closes his eyes. When he opens them again I see tears. “Marcelino, what’s wrong?”
“I just don’t wanna lose you.” A little tear slips from his eye. This macho man has broken down by a woman. Broken down to tears.
“Oh, baby. You will never lose me.” I smile. “Never. Because I love you too much to be away from you any second of the day.” I admit. “I love you too much to let you go. Ever.”
He smiles a little. “I love you too.” I kiss him, and this time he kisses me back.
“Now, stop crying, and let’s get ready for school.” I wipe his face and he chuckles.
We all arrive to school in Rocio. We all pile out. Yas goes off to meet Lila. They’ve been going out for a while now. And I’m happy for them. They look so cute together. While, Marcelino and I head to go get in line for breakfast. I’m hungry again.
We stand in line. People pass by and some come to say hi to us. Some of my new friends rub my belly and say, “Awwww!”. Marcelino’s friends come up and they exchange some words about this weekend. There’s a party at Ghost’s place. Marcelino wants to go, but kinda doesn’t want to either because of my condition. I keep telling him to go, but he refuses to go without me. And when I agree to go he says, “Not in your condition.” So, it’s a lose-lose situation.
As I swipe my ID and grab me a cinnamon roll and chocolate milk, Ghost comes up to Marcelino. A new girl I’ve never seen before by his side. She looks like another one of his hynas. So, I don’t pay her any mind. “Smiley! You gonna come over this weekend?”
“Nah, man. Got my girl knocked up, so no parties for me for a while, man.” Marcelino answers. He seems a little bummed out.
“I keep telling him to just go without me, but he doesn’t want to.” I pitch in. I can tell Marcelino really wants to get out and be a teenager. And I don’t wanna hold him back. Plus, I trust him not to do anything.
“C’mon, bro! The hyna’s tellin’ you to go!” Ghost argues. “C’mon! You can mingle, get a little smashed and just catch up with the crew again. We ain’t be seein’ much of you lately.”
“I know, I know. But I don’t wanna leave Raquel at the house by herself.” Why is Marcelino avoiding the party?
“Alright.” Ghost and him shake hands. “But if you change your mind, just hit me up.”
“Okay,” Marcelino nods. Ghost takes the hand of his girl and they walk off. “Why did you tell him that?” He looks over at me.
“Babe, I can tell you wanna go to that party. I want you to have a good time.” I say.
“I can’t have a good time if you ain’t there.” He rubs the back of his neck.
“Well, then why don’t we both go?” I suggest. “We can dance, hang out.”
“Fine,” Marcelino caves.

The weekend comes all too soon. I’m getting ready and Marcelino’s showering. I put on some strappy sandals, some white, stretchy skinny jeans and a white, strapless top with black lace and black satin bow below my chest. I even have a push-up bra. It makes my tetas look real good.
I straighten my hair, put on my make-up, my bracelet, a few rings and some earrings. I take a look in the full-length mirror. “Damn!” Marcelino comes in with a towel around his waist. “Where you been, chica?” He bites his lip and comes over to grab me by my waist and suck on the top of my boobs.
“Stooop!” I push him softly. He laughs and then puts on some boxers.
“You look fuckin’ sexy.” He checks me out. I put on my kissy face. He grins. “Cute.”
“I know!” I smile and put on some light scented perfume. Marcelino puts on some nicely fitted jeans, a maroon slim-fit tee I bought him. The cotton fabric defining his muscles. He puts on his new all white Jordans and his black rosario. He sprays on some Axe. I watch him intently from the edge of the bed I’m sitting on. He looks so delicious. He notices and smiles. Before I know it I’m lying down on the bed. His lips attached to mine. “Marcelino!” I whine and push him off. “You’re gonna ruin my hair!” He laughs and keeps kissing me. “And my make-up!” Finally, he gets off of me. “Ayy!” I say, and fix my hair. He rolls his eyes.
“Why don’t we just head out somewhere? Like, have a date night or something?” Marcelino suggests from where he’s laying on the bed. I pull up my shirt and fix my boobs.
“I don’t care. Where did you wanna go?” I cock my head to one side.
“I don’t know. Anywhere.” He looks at me. “’Cause I know Ricky’s gonna be there and if he even looks at you I’ll be the shit out of him.” I laugh and straddle him.
“Is that why you don’t wanna go?” My hair falling over my face as I look down at him.
“Partly.” He looks down at our enlaced fingers. “I don’t know. I just don’t have a good feeling about this party.” He admits and looks back at me.
“Well, let’s go have dinner or watch a movie or something.” I shrug and smile when he smiles from my answer.
“Okay, then. Let’s go!” He gets up and carries me to the door.
“Babe! My purse!” I say. He grabs my purse. “My jacket!” He grabs my pea coat.
“Be careful!” I hear my dad yell from the living room as Marcelino closes the door with his foot because his arms are full of me and my things.
Marcelino jogs to Rocio and puts me in gently. He seems excited. I just laugh as he races to the driver’s side and starts the car. The whole way to the movies we are laughing and smiling. When we get there our movie, Red Dawn, starts in half an hour. “Wanna get some ice cream then?” Marcelino asks once he purchases the tickets.
“Uh! Pregnant person plus ice cream equals heck yes!” I laugh.
“Okay, then.” Marcelino grins and we drive to the Dairy Queen across the street. There, we get two banana splits and three large fries. We take a seat at a window table and enjoy our snack. We joke around and what not. Then, I see a beat up green Honda pull up into the parking lot. Ghost’s girl comes in and orders. She takes a seat and waits for her order. She notices us. I smile, but she just looks away without a response. Her face passive. Her lips forming a line across her brown, round face. “Don’t take it personally.” Marcelino says. Obviously catching the action between us.
“What’s wrong with her?” I ask and look back at her. He sighs.
“She’s an ex of mine.” He says. I choke on my ice cream. “Yeah, that’s what I thought.” He says flatly.
“Well, does she hate me or what?” I ask once I’ve cleaned up my face. Being careful not to smear my make-up.
“Yes,” Marcelino moves around the pineapples in his split. His eyes avoiding mine.
“Why? What does she have against me? I’ve never even met her.” I say. Marcelino just clears his throat.
“Well,” he starts. But he doesn’t go on. I can tell this is something very deep.
“Babe, what is it?” I ask gently. Trying to reassure him.
“Well,” he starts again. “I knocked her up a few years ago. And she had a miscarriage” He says lowly. I furrow my brow.
“Wait, what?” I am shocked. Never in a million years would I have thought I’d hear that from Marcelino. That’s the reason he said he didn’t have a good feeling about the party. She’d be there. And so would Ricky. I’m sure he knows. They’d tell me, then the night would be a disaster. “That’s why you didn’t want to go to the party.” I say. Tears stinging my eyes. I see Marcelino nod. “Why didn’t you just tell me the truth? You didn’t have to hide it.” I am angry now.
“Baby, c’mon now. I didn’t want you to know because it was a long time ago! It has nothing to do with us!” He says.
“How can you say it has nothing to do with us? You knocked up your ex, and now I’m pregnant!” I start gathering my things.
“Babe, c’mere.” He gets up and tries to grab my arm. I pull away and manage to get to the door. “Where are you going?” I ignore him. “Raquel, it doesn’t matter anymore! I was stupid back then!” I’m out in the parking lot. The night air crisp and dark. I’m crying now. I can’t help it.
“How come you didn’t tell me before!?” I stop and turn around. “Is it because you thought I’d leave you? Why weren’t you straight up with me once I got pregnant!?” I ask. He opens and closes his mouth. “Marcelino, you just made things worse by not telling me!”
“Babe, I’m sorry. I just didn’t know how to tell you.”
“And you think telling me at the Dairy Queen is ideal!? Out in public where you think I wouldn’t make a scene!” I roll my eyes and start towards the highway.
“Raquel, where are you going?”
“Home!” I spit over my shoulder and walk into downtown. I hear the roar of Rocio’s engine behind me.
“Raquel, get in the car!” Marcelino yells as he’s slowly riding the curb and cars are honking at his dumb ass.
“No!” I keep walking. He just turns into Juan Colorado and parks. He doesn’t get out, he doesn’t do anything but watch. A while later, Armando’s car pulls up next to me near the McDonald’s. He stops, and so do I. He puts his lights on and gets out. He comes over and hugs me. I cling to him and cry.
“Shhh.” He lulls. “Shhh. Ya.Ya dejes de llorar.” He wipes my eyes and leads me to the car. I get in, and we head home.
Sign up to rate and review this story