Categories > Original > Drama

[A/N] – Writing some original stuff to take my mind off things while I consider whether or not to leave Ficwad… I wrote this idea in English once and the teacher told me she loved the added humour even though I didn’t add any humour. Do you guys see it?

Kaitlin dragged herself out of bed and sighed. It was the day she had been dreading all year. Valentine’s Day. She didn’t want to see all those happy couples. It would just make her remember. And that was the last thing she wanted to do.

She pulled on a baggy tee-shirt, an old pair of cheap jeans and scraped her long brown hair back into a ponytail. After pushing her yellow glasses up her nose and pulling on a pair of tatty white trainers, she walked out of the house. Even though she wanted to do nothing but sit in bed and cry, she convinced herself that it’d be better to get out of the house. Maybe she’d find someone who was just as lonely as she was on the most romantic day of the year.

So she went out for breakfast. The place she chose was packed full of happy couples. She sighed heavily and sat in the corner by herself. While the waitress got her breakfast cooked, she took her phone out of her pocket and started flipping through the pictures. Most of the pictures were of her and her ex-boyfriend Tyler.

They hadn’t broken up. That wasn’t what had made Kaitlin so sad on Valentine’s Day. They had been engaged and just a few days before the marriage Tyler had died. Her friend Cathy had told her the news. Kaitlin had spent an entire week in bed crying until Cathy told her it was time for her to move on. Well that was what she was trying to do today. But it was proving to be difficult.

Kaitlin stared down at the phone for a really long time. She looked at Tyler’s face. She’d loved him so much. Everything about him. His fluffy blonde hair, his piercing blue eyes, his sparkly laugh. There wasn’t a thing about him that she disliked.

Once she’d finished breakfast, she leaped up and left. She couldn’t stand seeing all those lovey-dovey couples around her. It was alright for them. Their whole worlds hadn’t fallen apart. They didn’t cry themselves to sleep every night. They didn’t know what it was like to lose the person you loved more than anyone else in the entire world.

For a while she tried to do some shopping but it felt like no matter what shop they went into there were couples. Mostly men treating their wives, girlfriends, boyfriends or fiancées to Valentine’s Day presents. It was starting to get too much for Kaitlin so she decided to for a walk in the park.

That was a mistake. There were way more couples in the park than there were at the shopping centre or at the café where she’d had breakfast. Kaitlin sat down on a bench and stared at all the happy couples around her. No one was by themself except for her. And then as if things couldn’t get any worse, all she could hear in her left ear was someone’s irritating laughter over and over again…

Kaitlin’s eyes widened as she realised that she knew that laugh. She’d never found it annoying before. She never even thought she’d hear it again. But she could clearly make out Tyler’s loud, sparkly laugh coming from her left.

So she turned to her left, telling herself that was probably just imaging things because she missed him so much. Nothing could’ve prepared her to see ‘dead’ boyfriend sitting at the edge of the park with his arm around some girl that she’d never seen before.

Kaitlin’s heart sank as she looked over at the two of them. Tyler’s hair had grown a little longer in the seven months that she’d believed him to be dead and it made him look even more handsome, much to Kaitlin’s frustration. And the girl he was with was beautiful, way more beautiful than Kaitlin and she knew that. The girl had waist-length golden blonde shiny hair and a smile that could melt butter. Kaitlin stared at them. They looked as if they belonged together.

Kaitlin fingered the ring on her left hand. Her engagement ring. Had it meant nothing to Tyler? What was he doing with that girl? Why had he made Cathy tell her that he was dead? Barely noticing that she was doing it, she got to her feet and stormed over to them.

The pretty girl was the first one to notice her “Do you know her?” She asked Tyler rather loudly.

Tyler turned to see who she was looking at and found himself looking at Kaitlin. She sat down in front of them “Do you wanna tell me what’s going on?” Kaitlin hissed.

Tyler looked between the pretty girl and Kaitlin for a long moment. The pretty girl tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear and asked “I’m sorry, who are you?”

“I’m Kaitlin.” She snapped “And you are?”

“Uhh I’m Lauren. Can we help you with something?”

“Tyler, tell me what’s going on!” Kaitlin cried “You owe me that much!”

“Tyler, what’s she talking about?” Lauren asked, starting to look really worried.

“It’s nothing Lauren. I’ve never seen this girl before in my life.” Tyler said.

“Then how does she know your name?”

“Look, I’ll sort it. Could you maybe give us a minute?” Tyler asked gently. Lauren looked irritated and glared at Kaitlin but walked off to give them some space.

“So I really mean nothing to you then?” Kaitlin asked in disbelief “What’s going on here?”

“I didn’t want you to find out about this.” Tyler admitted “But I guess I’m gonna have to tell you the truth now. I faked my death because I fell out of love with you and the thought of marrying you was unbearable.”

Kaitlin blinked at him, taking a moment to process it all “You have no idea, do you?” Kaitlin asked in disbelief “Do you know how you made feel? I thought you were dead! I loved you! That is so sick! Why couldn’t you just tell me?”

“Because I knew how you’d re-act.” Tyler shrugged his shoulders “I’m sorry Kaitlin.”

Kaitlin shook her head in disbelief before getting to her feet and stumbling away. She went to the nearest store and brought two bottles of wine.



It hadn’t taken her long to finish both bottles and she was starting to feel strange. She was so upset, so hurt… And so pissed. And that was when she got her idea. She sent a message to Cathy telling her that she knew Tyler was still alive and that she needed his address. Being her best friend, Cathy text back with an apology and the address.

Kaitlin smirked and went into the kitchen. She took out a knife. Tyler wanted to play dead did he? Well Kaitlin wanted to play murderer.
Sign up to rate and review this story