Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Power of the Human Will

Prologue

by Plshade 0 reviews

After arriving at his relative's home, Harry decides that he can no longer just react to the actions of Voldemort. He needs to know what exactly is the Dark Lord's plans and decides on a course of ...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst - Characters: Dumbledore, Harry, Tonks - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2005-05-20 - Updated: 2007-08-12 - 1364 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended. In other words; Don't want them. Don't need them. Couldn't afforded them if I did.
Feedback: Please leave a review whether good or bad. One cannot improve without knowing all the facts.



Prologue

Since arriving at his relatives home two days ago, Harry Potter had not left his room; other than to occasionally use the bathroom. He purposefully avoided his relatives, opting to stare blankly at the walls of his bedroom whenever his uncle or aunt stormed into his room. Harry was also not getting much sleep either because, shortly after closing his eyes, he would end up watching the scene of his Godfather's death replay over and over again. The dreams coupled with the lack of sleep left Harry little energy, or desire, to deal with the other occupants of the house.

At first his aunt and uncle screamed and threatened for him to do his chores or some other menial task but Harry just sat there, oblivious to them. It soon became clear, even to them, that something was wrong with Harry but they were torn about what to do.

On the one hand, they didn't want their neighbors finding out about the aberration of a nephew that lived with them during the summer so taking him to a hospital was out of the question. Even if that wasn't a concern and they did take Harry to see a doctor, then they would have to answer to those dreadful freaks that watch out for the boy. No. In the end, they had decided to leave Harry alone and go on about their life like he wasn't even there.

Then the sudden sound of a car door slamming shut snapped Harry out of his reverie. Looking around, he noticed that it was morning and the sounds of birds could be heard outside his window. With a deep sigh, Harry got off the bed and trudged over to his trunk and pulled out the pieces of the two way mirror that Sirius had given him.

Harry looked into the reflective surface one of the larger pieces, "Sirius? Can you hear me?"

Silence was the only answer that Harry received. One lone tear fell down his left cheek, hitting the edge of the mirror. With another sigh, Harry placed the pieces back inside his trunk and moved to the window. Outside, life was in full gear. Small animals scurried about, avoiding the children that were out playing as well as the many adults were enjoying the almost perfect morning.

Harry felt old compared to everyone else. He also felt tired. So very tired. Especially from the guilt that came when the people around him kept getting hurt, because of him. First was his parents, then it was Cedric, and finally Sirius and his friends when they followed him into the Department of Mysteries. Harry sighed heavily but before he could fall deeper into his depression, a loud hoot echoed inside his room. Looking back, Harry saw that his beloved owl was anxious to escape her cage.

"Hedwig," he said fondly as he opened the cage. "I need you to do something for me."

The snowy owl hopped onto Harry's arm and then jumped up onto his shoulder where she gently nipped his ear. Harry then pulled out a sheet of paper and wrote a brief note. He folded it up and showed it to his owl. Hedwig promptly glided down to the bed and raised a leg, waiting for her master to attach the letter. Harry stared a Hedwig for a second before coming to a difficult decision.

"Please deliver this to Ron. And Hedwig," Harry stared into the bird's large eyes. "I want you to stay there and do not come back here for any reason."

Hedwig immediately started flapping her wings and hooting her displeasure about leaving him alone, but Harry ignored her protests and pressed on.

"I need you to go there, girl. I can't feel ...." Harry paused, closing his eyes. He cocked his head to the side, as if he were trying to listen to someone that wasn't there. "Voldemort is too calm. Our fight at the Department of Mysteries stopped him from getting that damn prophesy and he should be furious. I should feel something, anything from him but there has been nothing."

Harry's eyes snapped open and held the owl in his emerald gaze. "Please Hedwig," he pleaded. "just do what I ask and go to Ron"

Hedwig settled down, her large eyes still locked onto her master's. Then she shook her head, breaking the contact and jumped off the desk and landed on the windowsill. From there she turned around and hooted mournfully at her master one last time before taking off through the open window.

Harry walked over to the window and watched as Hedwig's form grew smaller and smaller. When he could no longer see her, Harry moved back over to his bed and sat down. He had to do something. He had to find out what Voldemort was planning and there was only one person that knew the Dark Lord's plans. That was Voldemort himself and Harry could only think of one way to find out.

With that thought, Harry laid down on his bed and closed his eyes.

:::::

It was now late at night. Only the sporadic sounds of nocturnal animals as they moved about in the darkness broke the quiet atmosphere that blanketed Privet Drive. Unseen, a lone figure currently sat on the roof of the Dursey's car, watching the residence from under an Invisibility Cloak.

Suddenly there was a flash of light that caught the figure unaware. So bright was the flash that it temporarily blinded the person. The figure cast the cloak off, revealing her identity as Nymphadora Tonks. She swore under her breath as she waited for her eyesight to clear. It took a couple of minutes for Tonks to be able to see clearly but once she could, she run up to the front door of the house. It was locked but a quick Alohomora spell remedied that. Once the door was open, Tonks ran up the stairs shouting Harry's name.

The commotion woke up the Dursleys but Tonks just ignored them as she threw open the door that lead to Harry's bedroom. Once she crossed the threshold into the room, she felt a sudden shift in the very core of her being. This shift left her feeling slightly sluggish as a sense of lethargy settled over her. Tonks shook her head, clearing the cobwebs out that were forming in her mind and took her first real look at the room. She immediately moved over to Harry's bed, wand out before her as she cast a spell. Then she cast a second one. The results of both spells shocked and amazed her. Quickly, she reached into her pocket for the emergency portkey that all Order members carried and activated it.

:::::

"Albus Dumbledore!"

That shriek erupting from the scorched fireplace startled the elder Wizard. Putting down the document that he was reading, Dumbledore walked over to the fireplace and answered.

"Good evening Molly. What can I do..." Dumbledore trailed off as he saw the mixture of fear and fury in the Weasley matriarch's face. "What is it Molly?"

"You must check on Harry," Molly demanded. "Please Albus, I fear that something terrible has happened."

Before Dumbledore could ask Molly about what exactly she meant, a body suddenly appeared out of thin air, into the room, and landed hard on top of his desk. The person quickly scrambled off the desk, scattering papers everywhere in the process and revealing the person's identity as a young Auror by the name of Nymphadora Tonks. Her normally pink hair now cycled continuously through many different colors. She frantically scanned the room until her eyes landed on Dumbledore.

"Professor Dumbledore," Tonks gasped, fear emanating from her eyes. "Harry's disappeared!"

:::::
Sign up to rate and review this story