Categories > Original > Fantasy > Danielle and the Time Bender

Winds of Change

by scooterbug8515 0 reviews

This is where things start to get interesting in Danielle's life despite her not wanting it to be so.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres: Fantasy, Sci-fi - Published: 2006-07-27 - Updated: 2006-07-28 - 844 words

0Unrated
Danielle practically skipped down the road leading to the apartment complexes where she and her father lived. This was one of those days that made your feet seem light. There was nothing in the world that could possibly bring this fourteen year old down, at least that is what Danielle thought.

It had only been one week into the school year and Danielle could tell that it was going to be good year. She had high hopes of being her class president and then she had heard roomer that there just might be an invite in the works for her to go to Brandon Friseurs 15th Birthday Bash, which could possibly lead to a date for homecoming. Though that was a ways away Danielle could not help but be happy.

As she made her way down the busy street bypassing the small strip mall on her right the wind seemed to dance in her long black hair, which lightened Danielle's spirits all the more. If only Danielle was a wind reader then she would have been able to hear the warning that the wind was trying give her.

It was not long until Danielle stood before apartment building E. Her thin pink lips pursed into a smile, home, the weekend, it was here. Danielle did not take notice that the parking slip that came with the apartment was filled by her dad's car, signifying that he was home early. If she had she might have been a bit more prepared for the news that her dad was about to present.

Danielle opened the apartment door to find her dad on the phone in the kitchen. She dropped her bag in its usual spot at the end of the love seat and headed over to find out why Frank, her dad, was home so early in the day.

"Yes, Monday, will be fine," agreed Frank over the phone as he wrote it down, "At 9:00 am? Perfect! Thank you so much!"

Frank turned around to see his daughter sitting backward on a dinning room chair, looking at him, question marks written all over her face, head ever so slightly tilted in bewilderment.

"Dani, you'll never believe what just happened!" he exclaimed.

When Danielle saw her dad's face light up she knew that he had good news as to why he was home rather than bad. This eased Danielle's heart in a matter of seconds.

"What happened?"

"I just got a promotion, and not just any promotion of being moved to the lower ranks of management. You are now looking at the new head manager of the Greene County Spendies!"

"That's great Dad!" cried Danielle jumping up from her seat to give her dad a hug.

As Danielle wraped her arms around her dad's slight frame, Frank took the opportunity to finish telling his news. (This is where the bomb gets dropped.) "They want me to start as soon as possible, which means we are going to have to move."

Danielle pulled back from her hug, "Move? Move where?"

"To Greene County of course!"

"What about the apartment contract? What about school?" demanded Danielle a bit shocked.

Frank ruffled his dark brown hair, still wearing a toothy grin from his amazing opportunity, as he began to explain, "Spendies is going to cover that cost and is paying for us to be professionally moved. You realized what this means? We are going to be able to live in a house! I never thought I would see us living in one of those! As for school, there is a wonderful school called Greene Academy right in the area. You should fit in fine."

"What if I don't want to fit in? What if I want to remain here? Life is just starting to come together for me!"

"Dani, don't you realize what this job could mean? For both of us? It could mean no more penny pinching, we can truly afford the things that we've always wanted!"

"I want to stay here!" exclaimed Danielle turning out of the kitchen and down the hall to her room.

Frank shook his head, in disappointment; he had hoped his daughter would have been excited as he was. As Danielle took refuge in her room Frank adjusted his glasses and began to look over his notes, pertaining to the move. He barely got a glance at them when the phone rang.

Danielle felt bad about disappointing her dad, she could tell as she turned to leave by the look on his face. She could always sense her dad, he was like an open book when it came to his emotions, most people were to begin with. Danielle stared out her bedroom window as she sat at her desk, the thoughts of swimming gone from her mind. There were more important things to think about, like the move. As Danielle thought she watched as the light breeze blew through the branches of the trees, almost as if they were saying: You were warned young Danielle Peterman, but you did not listen. You were warned.
Sign up to rate and review this story