Categories > Anime/Manga > Yami no Matsuei > Sweetness

6

by LucyMayKumagoro 0 reviews

Category: Yami no Matsuei - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Romance - Characters: Hisoka, Tsuzuki - Warnings: [!] [V] [X] - Published: 2006-07-29 - Updated: 2006-07-30 - 1171 words

0Unrated

"The sun hasn't even risen, and it's already hot," Hisoka said irritably, fanning himself with his hand. Tsuzuki stepped close behind him, and when no one was looking, licked the back of his partner's neck, his tongue chilled by the iced tea he'd bought from one of the vendors. Hisoka yelped in protest, blushing deeply, as Tsuzuki walked past him casually with a wink.

The four men split up to search the French Market for any sign of Muraki. Tsuzuki cursed his modest allowance as he was tempted by a different sweet from every side. After countless inquiries turned up no leads, he shuffled back towards their starting point, waiting for the others. Hy waved at him, making his way toward him through the crowd.

"Tsuzuki! I didn't find him, but I did find a fish merchant who's seen him. She said that Muraki has been requesting for her to get him some fugu, Japanese puffer fish. Does that mean anything to you?" the boy asked. Tsuzuki shook his head.

"Maybe he's homesick?" Tsuzuki asked with a shrug. Hisoka and Jarrett had joined them.

"The only thing I know about puffer fish is that it's highly toxic when not prepared right. It's always risky to eat it," Hisoka said.

"Wow. Like a Russian roulette on a plate," Hy said.

"More or less," Hisoka said. "Did any of the victims have an autopsy?" Jarrett shrugged.

"I'm not sure. Why?" Jarrett asked.

"I was just wondering if the results turned up any signs of poisoning," Hisoka said.

"I like your instincts. We should check in with Josephine about this," Jarrett said.

xxxx


Jarrett left for the office, leaving the other three shinigami at the market. Hy gave them a doubtful look.

"I don't think they're still alive, if that's what you're thinking," Hy said.

"Oh?" Hisoka asked. Hy shook his head.

"Their candles went out, even if they haven't shown up in the spiritual realm. There are no souls left to gather. If they're alive, it's just in the functioning sense, you know," Hy said.

"Maybe. But we still need to find them if we're ever going to get answers," Hisoka said, gazing at a rack of postcards with a somewhat distracted air.

"You've got a Hall of Candles, too?" Tsuzuki asked to break the ensuing silence. Hy nodded.

"Course we do. I don't like it there one bit, though. The guy who runs it gives me the heebie jeebies." Tsusuki gave an uneasy laugh.

"I know just what you mean," he said.

"Jarrett warned me never to let him do me any kind of favor if I could help it," Hy said. Tsuzuki wiped at the sweat beginning to bead on his forehead.

"Is that right?" he asked quietly.

Hisoka turned on his heel and began to walk away from them.

"Where are we going?" Tsuzuki asked, as they rushed to catch up with him.

"Not far. I want to go to Jackson Square," Hisoka said.

"You're usually the one telling me not to sight see," Tsuzuki said. Hisoka gave a dismissive gesture.

"I just have a hunch about something," Hisoka said.

The three men left the French Market, crossing a busy street and eventually coming upon the tourist crammed square, side stepping artists who had set up their paintings along the walkway. A large statue of Andrew Jackson astride his horse loomed above them, as they made their way to the large building beyond it, its high steeple cutting across the bright morning sky.

"St. Louis Cathedral?" Hy asked, as they headed towards the entrance to the church.

"Our doctor has a strange fixation with Christian churches," Tsuzuki murmured, seeing the logic in Hisoka's thinking.

They entered the cool, quiet sanctuary from the front room, looking around the long benches at the few people scattered throughout the church, where the morning mass had long ended. Tsuzuki saw Hisoka suck in a breath, following his gaze to the distinctive figure in white seated near the front pew.

"I'll be damned," Tsuzuki whispered.

"Let's go," Hy said, starting towards the aisle. Hisoka grabbed his arm to hold him back.

"No," Hisoka said. "We need to stay back and follow him. He may lead us to the others."


After an excruciating wait, the three finally spotted the doctor leaving the church, following at some distance behind. Tsuzuki wondered the entire time if the doctor was all too aware of their presence, and was planning on how best to toy with them as he made his way through the crowd, but his leisurely pace gave nothing away. Muraki finally led them to Bourbon Street, where he entered a small shop with dusty windows. Hy looked to the other two, receiving nods before following the man inside, he being the only one the doctor would not recognize.

The pair waited, saying nothing, as people walked past on the sidewalk. An elderly man approached them with a charming smile.

"Hey there, young fella," he said, addressing Tsuzuki. "If you'll kindly lend me a dollar, I'll tell you where you got your shoes." He gestured at Tsuzuki's feet. Hisoka rolled his eyes.

"He's just going to tell you you've got them on Bourbon Street. Now go away," Hisoka muttered to the crestfallen man. Tsuzuki laughed, giving the man a pat on the back.

"That's a good one! I think that's worth something," Tsuzuki said, fishing in his pocket, and presenting the man with a bill. The man's eyes widened at the twenty as he took it.

"I thank you kindly, good sir," the man said with a slight bow and a grin, making his way back into the crowd. Hisoka stared at Tsuzuki in disbelief.

"Why did you do that? He was trying to con you. I could read him from a mile away," Hisoka said. Tsuzuki shrugged.

"He noticed us without our willing it," Tsuzuki said, giving the younger man a meaningful look, smiling sadly. Hisoka nodded slowly, touched by his partner's compassion for the dying man. He was about to speak, when his cell phone rang.


"Hy says Muraki made a run for it out the back door. He's following him. this way!" Hisoka said, dashing towards the alleyway.

Tsuzuki followed on his heels, jumping over piles on trash, and nearly collided with Hy as reached the back of the building. Hisoka had turned the corner and was ahead of them now, Tsusuki catching a glimpse of white disappearing into the back door of another building. Hisoka was close behind, Tsuzuki and Hy finally reaching the rusty metal door a few seconds after him. The building they entered was dark, and he could hear things being turned over, and cursing as he stumbled across the room. He followed the sounds, coming out into a front room where the windows let in the light. It was an abandoned shop of some kind, and the front glass door was swung open. Tsuzuki and Hy rushed outside to the sidewalk beyond. Hisoka and Muraki were nowhere to be found.


Sign up to rate and review this story