Categories > Games > Zelda > The Black Mist

epilogue

by nulambda 0 reviews

Epilogue/Conclusion to The Black Mist, in which Mireille's former captors plot their next move.

Category: Zelda - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Horror - Characters: Link - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2013-03-13 - 2140 words - Complete

0Unrated
The Black Mist
-A Junctioner: Hylianis Story-

DISCLAIMER: The Legend of Zelda, and all related characters, places, concepts, ect., mentioned within are property of Nintendo and Shigeru Miyamoto. All other original concepts presented within are property of me, myself, and I.

epilogue

Within the confines of a small office, a man in a business suit watched a series of screens with interest. On them were videos of a figure in green in different locations. Long pointed ears stuck out from the sides of the figure's head. Underneath a floppy green cap, blonde hair framed the figure's face, which was locked in an expression of terror. Blue eyes looked back at their attackers with unbridled horror as a dome of fire engulfed several men in one of the videos.

It was the figure's eyes that struck the man the most. They seemed not to reflect the figure's true nature, as if it were a different person performing the actions before his eyes. As he watched the figure flee in another video, an otherworldly light glimmered his pupils. A smile formed on the man's lips as he smoked a cigar, a pleased smile forming on his face.

The sound of a door opening tore him from the videos as a woman in a black dress walked into the room. Her hair was as dark as the dress she wore, while brown eyes peered nervously at the man before her through a small pair of glasses. In her hands was a folder containing various documents. Her hands were a dark tan, which contrasted against the lighter complexion of the man before her.

He looked at the newcomer with mild disinterest.

"Have you found the Aeon of Hyrule yet?" He asked.

The woman shook her head.

"None of our men have been able to recapture the creature. Our last reports of her whereabouts was at a hotel near the town of Brume."

Palmgate shot the woman a look of disgust. He had no idea how his men could fail to apprehend the being that he had worked so hard to find. In the face of countless failures in his attempts to create the Aeon, he was appalled by the incompetence of his employees. The business man did little to hide his chagrin at this latest setback.

"How is it that the Aeon has repeatedly eluded our men since her escape, Carmine? You will tell those men to find the creature now, or I will have to... terminate their employment with the company."

"But sir—"

"I will not tolerate any further failures, Carmine. See to it this directive reaches their ears, or I will be most... /displeased/."

The secretary said nothing as she looked back at her boss with a blank expression. Her mind mulled over the reports of the various men who had encountered the Aeon. The power the being possessed was both intriguing and frightening. She mused over the information, pleased that their failed attempts to contain the Aeon was not entirely fruitless.

When the Aeon had been flown into their laboratory headquarters outside of Sacramento from Ashland, Oregon, Palmgate's jubilation was akin to a child in a candy store. For many years, he had men research in secret the nature of the Comet of Aetherus and how to create the being they called an Aeon. The man had become obsessed with the comet ever since obtaining an artifact called "The Book of Aetherus". Like everyone else who worked at Palmaris Medical Research's headquarters, Carmine was both intrigued and frightened by the Aeon's growing power.

At first, they were unable to ascertain the Aeon's gender. Despite the masculine appearance the Aeon possessed, further investigation by Palmgate's scientists lead to a startling discovery- despite what its appearance suggested, the being they had brought back with them was not male at all. The discovery that the Aeon was a woman intrigued Palmgate to no end. For reasons unknown to Carmine, he had been expecting a man.

She remained contained within a lap for weeks, comatose and inert. It was not until weeks has passed that she showed signs of any brain activity. The Aeon's moments of lucidity were brief, and produced no answers to the nature of her being- only incoherent babbling in alien tongues. It had remained this way up until that fateful night.

Within moments of her awakening days ago, she had subdued many of their best trained guards with little effort. There was one factor, however, that did not sit well with the dutiful secretary. The incident of the Aeon's escape escalated to the level that it did due to one thing- provocation. She had done nothing to the men, yet they insisted on handling her with violence, and in her confusion and fear, retaliated against their mistreatment.

Despite her musings, Carmine was certain of only one thing- neither she, nor anyone else working at Palmaris were paid to think. They had families to feed, and households to maintain. She recalled the last person who attempted to whistleblow the company's illicit research- the man vanished, never to be seen again. Carmine did not want to meet a similar fate, and instead carried on her calm facade.

"From what the men have spoken of to me, sir, she is somehow able to hear them approach before they can even get near her. "

Palmgate held his chin in thought, musing over the latest information his secretary provided. His mind drifted back to another time, one where he had attempted to create the Aeon himself. He had underestimated the spirit of the heroic soul he had pulled out from the ether of the Comet, and now it seemed, he had repeated his mistake once again. He remembered the information he had gathered from the Book of Aetherus regarding the Hero and the world he came from.

"So the stories hold some truth to them. I was wondering what purpose the ears of his people served...."

Carmine blinked.

"'His' people, sir?"

"They say that the Hylian people possessed such elongated ears to better commune with their gods. It seemed they served other purposes as well. The creature's hearing must be many times more sensitive than the average human. No wonder she was alerted to their presence so easily- they might as well have announced themselves to her."

Shaking her head, she looked at her employer, making her perturbance towards Palmgate's words. The amount of knowledge he possessed made her feel uncomfortable with his presence and what he intended to do. To the world at large, Palmgate was a saint, a man responsible for medical breakthroughs and advances in technology. The reality of the situation was much darker than she had hoped. Despite her discomfort, she wanted to know just what was going through the man's mind.

"Mr. Palmgate, sir, if I may be so bold—just why are you so fixated on this... thing?"

Palmgate smiled as he looked at the woman with intrigue. She knew so little of the true nature of the Aeon, and he could do little to hide his amusement. The businessman knew what he was dealing with. As his mind flashed back to another time once more, he returned a level gaze at her.

"That is not just any 'thing', Miss Carmine. That being before you is the next step in our evolution."

"What do you mean?"

"We live in dark times. Dark, confusing times, where the answers before us are not always what we... /expect/."

"Sir...?"

"We are such small-minded beings, Carmine. You and I exist as singular entities, with only one mind and one spirit. There is nothing more to our existence except the one. The Aeon, Carmine... is not one entity... but /two/. Two beings, sharing the same life, and the same existence, joined together by powers beyond our understanding. Observe."

Palmgate pointed towards the videotapes before her. As Carmine watched, she spotted the Aeon being shot to death in the lower left screen. A part of her felt nauseated at the scene as thousands of guards sprayed bullets into the frightened being's body in cold blood. Her screams echoed through the speakers, and her heart wrenched at the sight of her falling to the ground. Then, she watched as an eerie light snaked out of the Aeon's body, restoring her dying shell. As if the scene was not already shocking enough, she summoned a crystalline barrier from out of thin air. Bullets flew through the air as explosions boomed through the speakers.

As the scene looped once more, Carmine turned to her employer with a shocked look on her face.

"My God... how is she able to do these things?"

The businessman pulled his secretary towards him, and pointed towards a small golden flash on the monitors. Carmine squinted her eyes, not able to see what it was at first, but as she gazed on, she spotted the mark of three triangles, the lower right shining the brightest. A small chuckle escaped Palmgate's lips as he watched Carmine try to piece the scene together.

"There, on her left hand... do you see that mark?"

Carmine blinked, unable to understand the mark's significance. It radiated on the Aeon's hand like a holy brand, and she could see a vacant expression form itself on the entity's face, as if she were somewhere else entirely. It wasn't until after she had snapped back to reality that she began to delve into the power that now coursed through her body. The thought that the Aeon could conjure flames was terrifying enough, but that she could render attacks on her person useless made the prospect of subduing her a much more difficult task.

"She had help, Carmine. She did not escape entirely on her own merit. This was a cooperative effort between the two sides of her being. Like the Hylian people, she tapped into the very power that now teems in her blood... without any prior knowledge of how. How is that possible, Carmine? How is this being able to access power when she had never possessed it before in her entire existence?"

Palmgate got up from his desk and walked around the room. His stroll was slow and deliberate, even as his gaze shifted back to the confused secretary before him. Carmine looked back at him, her mask of calm breaking away to reveal the confusion that had built up underneath. She swallowed hard, unsure of how to respond.

"I don't know, sir."

"She is a vessel, Carmine... a vessel of untold power."

She gazed up at another monitor, where the Aeon threw a bunch of men across the room with an unseen force. It was not the first time she had seen psychokinetic phenomena, but the sheer force the frightened woman. The level of power the Aeon possessed was unlike anything she had ever seen before. It was on a level that measured beyond what normal humans were capable of. Carmine could do little more than quiver her jaw in the face of the revelation.

"Just... what are we dealing with here?"

"So many questions, so few answers... is that not always the way, Carmine? Even as we speak, she gains strength. If she learns to master her newfound powers, she could destroy us all. She must be found... and /subdued/. After all, we can't have such a dangerous being running free, now can we...?"

Carmine nodded her head in agreement, resigned to her employer's decision. The being she had seen in the monitor was not a crazed animal out to kill everything in sight. It was nothing more than a scared woman, unable to understand the forces that had entwined itself with her being. All she wanted to do was exist- a feeling the secretary more than sympathized with.

"We will have her contained and returned here for further research as soon as possible."

"Very well, then. I leave things to you."

A sad smile formed on Carmine's lips as she placed the folder on his desk. She turned towards the door and walked out of the room. As she did so, Palmgate turned and sat on his desk. He opened the folder and scanned the documents there in. Inside was pictures of the figure's unconscious body, as well as various findings. As he looked on his eyes widened in shock briefly before a devilish grin plastered itself on his face.

Fascinating... Subject appears to be completely human, though several anomalies have been detected in the host DNA. Unable to determine blood type due to severe deterioration of the host sample upon retrieval from the subject. Due to severe genetic alterations, subject's identity has yet to be determined.

As he continued to read the reports, a sinister laugh escaped his lips.

Oh, the Goddesses of Hyrule have such a perverse sense of humor... wouldn't you say so, Link?
Sign up to rate and review this story