Categories > Original > Romance

While the World is Watching

by Abrarochs 0 reviews

Imagine having the public witness your every move. It can be an adventure but along the way relationships will always be tested. The past will never stay in the past, and those mistakes will contin...

Category: Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Published: 2013-04-13 - 859 words

0Unrated
Gwynn drove up and around the brick driveway, there weren't any lights on and no other cars parked there. She had been somewhat disappointed but relieved, the vacancy in her home she found solace in.



Inside she dropped her purse as she roamed down the hallway and chucked her keys with it. Gwynn was fed up. Fed up with life; like everyone else, right? She laughed at the thought, something she could never achieve was appearing average. She had emotions like most people, although constantly scrutinized-they were emotions.



At that instant she could not find anything amusing about being herself; Gwynneth Ryder. They called her “it”, “a future icon”, “an inspiration to all”. All she could think of was, “Gwynneth Ryder the best liar”.



Gwynn sprawled out across the ivory carpet, she peered up through the skylight of her living room. The silence was aggravating not only to her ears but her mind. There she was moping during a very sparse break in her press tour. She had the right, did she not? There was nothing to come home to, besides her husband. Which was nothing at all.



The silence within the house was broken with an echo of the doorbell.



The man at the door was a part of her past Gwynn did not expect to re-visit.



“Colin, how did you find me?” Her whole body tensed up, she felt ready to dart past him at any moment.



“I have spent a long time searching for you.”



Gwynn sighed. “I really do not want to let you in, but I know I don't have a choice.”



There was that look, the left side of his mouth perked up and his blue eyes gleamed. Colin's face was always covered with an all-knowing expression. He knew something that you did not, and he would hold it over your head even if it was trivial. Gwynn's discontent for his company was growing, the air between them was thick. Why did she let him in?



“Where do you want me?”



Gwynn disregarded his pass, and motioned to the dining room table. It could comfortably seat ten people, she was thankful for the distance between them. It felt more like a business meeting that way. She regained her composure, ready for anything Colin would throw at her.



“You must have kissed a lot of asses to get my address. I know it wasn't anyone from my recent staff, they know better.”





“It was your sister.”



Gwynn sighed, she meant well. Briana was the archetype of the older sibling, overbearing summed it up. She would do anything to get Gwynn to come home, even if that meant sending Colin to do the work. She refused to deal with the secrets lying in wait in her hometown. Secrets that were meant to be kept between sisters or family. Secrets that could ruin a career, and open wounds. A wound that would fester under the microscope of the public. Gwynn shook the thought; it was not going to happen.



“For that reason alone I should ask you to leave, but I know you. That is not the only reason you trekked all the way from the Mid-West to North Carolina.”



He leaned back in his seat. “I will admit Gwynn after three years of ignoring each other this is uncomfortable to say the least. She did want me to bring you home, but I came on my own accord. There were things left unsaid, I finally have to courage to say them.”



Gwynn put her hand up and shook her head frantically. “Three years was a lot of time to say those things. Do you know what is expected of me now? Do you see this house? Do you see this hunk of diamond on my finger? I have worked my ass off for these things, you will not come here and confuse me. You will not come here and twist my life around. I will not stand for it again.”



If he were honest with himself, he knew those were not the first things he saw when she opened that door. Instead he will pretend he only saw her. Not her in the present day but her way back, when she was Gwynneth.



His eyes traveled across the reflection of the summer rays coming through the door on her cool brown skin. The dark chocolate pool of her eyes were filled with bewilderment and determination, he always loved looking at those eyes while she played. Things were slightly different in the present day, the beautiful black locks his hands would once get tangled in were all gone. Replaced with straight strands that fell just below her jawline. One thing Colin was certain about was he could detect her hatred for him, and he knew it was his own fault.



“You're right but I miss you.”



I miss you. He messed up, Gwynn thought to herself, the first rule in missing someone is to never let them know. Missing someone means they have never left your thoughts or your heart. Gwynn did not want to be responsible for that, not three years ago and not then.



Sign up to rate and review this story