Categories > Original > Fantasy > A Tale of Shadows

Chapter 5

by Tall_Tales 1 review

A brief respite from the road, where many important conversations are held.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2013-05-07 - 834 words

0Unrated
"Are you feeling well, dear?" A woman asked, gently stroking Crispus' hair.

He put his hand on hers. "It seems that Scipio has still not been captured." He released his wife's hand, and stood, walking to his desk. "And now Stanislav is raising the price! Apparently his damned troops were killed, only two of them returned, from ten, he says!"

"And do you doubt his word?"

"Any fool would doubt his word. He may not even have sent any of his men, the bastard." The map in front of Crispus indicated the positions of his troops, a full legion spread over a hundred miles. Worthless in a war, but for hunting criminals..? He sighed. Too expensive. Then again, if Stanislav kept increasing the price...

His wife held him from behind, and kissed his shoulder. "It will resolve itself, my love. The gods won't allow a guilty man to go free."

Crispus faced his wife, and held her close. "Aye my love, they say that is true."

He ignored the chill that ran down his spine.



"And is that all you have to report?" Amelius asked, staring down at the man knelt before him.

"It is, O mighty emperor." Stanislav said, suppressing a grin.

Amelius thought on this for a moment, before beckoning Tacitus forth. Stanislav drew in a sharp breath, and cursed his nervousness. "What do you think, Tacitus?"

The hooded man lowered his head for a moment, and seemed to chuckle. "Fifteen men slain, you say?"

Stanislav swallowed hard. "It is as I have told the emperor, fifteen of my finest-"

"I call you a liar, Stanislav. Not that this should be new to you; a liar may be the kindest thing you've been called today." A low hum of power seemed to fill the room. "Now. Tell the truth."

Another hard swallow, and Stanislav forced a grin. "You've caught me. I'm a natural swindler lord, I hope you take no offense. I lost five-"

He could feel eyes burning holes in the back of his head. "Two. I lost two. Godrick the mage, and Isla the blademistress."

The emperor nodded. "Very well, we shall see you properly compensated. You may go."

Stanislav stood, and began walking out.

"Oh, and Stanislav," the emperor said, his voice carrying throughout the hall, "never lie to me again."

The barest hint of a pause caught in his step as he the words were spoken.



Konstantin stared into the fire.

"Are you sure you're alright, Konstantin?" Scipio asked, watching his companion closely.

"I'll be fine."

"I know this is about that woman you killed, but you should know that-"

"I said I'll be fine."

"She was trying to kill you, it was entirely-"

"I SAID I'LL BE FINE!"

Scipio was quiet. Eva huddled in close to him, shocked by the force behind Konstantin's roar.

"Very well. I'll sleep, then. You'll take first watch?"

A slight nod was the only reply Scipio received. He returned it, and laid down.

Time passed. Konstantin stared at the fire.

A slight movement caught his eye. Eva's tattoos had begun to glow.

He stood, and made the beginnings of a noise to alert Scipio, but a small voice spoke first. "Quiet. I don't plan on killing you." A small hesitation. "Yet."

Konstantin stared at Eva, who regarded him with a cool, almost hungry gaze. A crooked smile formed a cruel slash on the small girl's face. "Who are you?"

"I'm Eva."

"You're lying."

"Maybe she lied first. Have I ever lied to you?"

"You could be, right now." Konstantin's hand drifted to his sword, which lay beside him.

"Do you know for sure?"

"I don't."

"Then why not believe me?" Eva countered.

"You kill people."

"So do you." A pause. "Quite brutally, I should add."

Konstantin's hand released it's grip on the sword. "I'm not a killer."

"You killed that woman." Eva noted.

Noticable discomfort shook Konstantin. "She tried to kill me."

"And those I killed tried to kill me. How does that make me any different from you?"

Konstantin hesitated. "I didn't enjoy it."

"Do you know that I did?"

"No. Did you?"

"Yes. Didn't you?" Eva shifted slightly, crossing her legs.

A frown. "No."

Eva smiled. "Are you sure?"

"Of course I am!" Konstantin glanced at Scipio, who moved in his sleep, before dropping his voice to a whisper. "Of course!"

Eva sidled over to Konstantin's side of the fire, and leaned against him, smiling. He shivered. "What makes you so sure?"

"I'd never do it again."

Eva turned her head up at him, and gave him a pitiable look. "And what if I was in danger? What would you do then, Tin?"

The flickering light of the fire cast terrible shadows over the small girl's face. Konstantin looked away.

She laughed. The sound drained the colour from his face.

"What are you?" He whispered.

Eva snuggled in close to Konstantin. "I already told you, Konstantin." She gazed into the fire, the darkness behind her eyes dancing with the flames.
Sign up to rate and review this story