Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto

Full Circle

by thegrimwombat 2 reviews

The past always repeats itself. The only way to change is to make a choice. [drabble, Lee x Sakura]

Category: Naruto - Rating: G - Genres: Angst, Romance - Characters: Rock Lee, Sakura - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2006-08-02 - Updated: 2006-08-03 - 282 words - Complete

5Moving
Lee slices the apples painstakingly, first in halves, then in quarters, then eighths, each section as even as possible: as close to perfect as he can manage, for she deserves nothing less. (He had managed, once, to fumble the knife, cutting more finger than fruit -- the grimace that followed was less from the pain than from the knowledge that he had failed her.)

The heartbroken look on Sakura's face when she sees the fruit hits him hard in the chest, and he blushes and attempts to stammer a hasty apology. "If you don't like them --"

"It isn't that," she interrupts. "It's just..." She hesitates, and he recognizes the expression on her face -- it's the same one she had when they passed a bench near the East Gate on a walk one day (/"It's all right," he had said. "We can take another way around."/ He hadn't asked the reason why, but he never minded taking the long way, if it was for Sakura).

She reaches out to take the plate, but he can see that the gesture is more of a goodwill effort than anything.

Shaking his head, he smiles, as reassuringly as possible. "I'll get something else for you."

In one moment, her expression becomes something he can't quite place, part determination and part introspection and something else entirely.

And then she reaches towards him once more, and suddenly it's him that she's looking at, and not the apples (this is important, somehow -- he knows this, though he doesn't know why). Her small fingers twine with his as she tugs him down next to her.

"Actually," she says, a genuine smile dawning on her face, "I think we should share them."
Sign up to rate and review this story