Categories > TV > Doctor Who > A Companion's Diary: My Adventures With the Doctor

A Companion's Diary: My Adventures With the Doctor

by sydney14911 0 reviews

I was about to do something incredibly stupid and dangerous. I was about to agree to becoming the Doctor’s companion. It’s not like I was charging into it blindly either. I knew full well what ...

Category: Doctor Who - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance,Sci-fi - Warnings: [!!!] [?] - Published: 2013-05-30 - 1105 words

0Unrated
I was about to do something incredibly stupid and dangerous. I was about to agree to becoming the Doctor’s companion. It’s not like I was charging into it blindly either. I knew full well what I was doing. I had seen the show; I knew what he and his enemies were capable of. But still I wanted to experience what life with the Doctor would be like. I knew it could quite possibly end up with me dead, but I didn’t care. I saw the look of concern upon his face when I didn’t answer his proposal right away. I knew I had to allay his doubts. There was only one word to say. “Allons-y.”
I don’t even know where to start. Although it was less than a day ago when I met the Doctor, it feels like a lifetime. So much has happened in the span of 24 hours that everything is a blur, but I guess life is always like that with the Doctor. Everything got so tangled up I’m not even sure where the beginning is anymore. I’ll do my best to put it in order though.
You could say it started about a month ago, when I first started watching a popular British sci-fi television show called Doctor Who. My friends watched it and got me hooked. I watched the entire first season of the 2005 revival in a day. It was official. I was a Whovian. I could no longer look at statues without staring, or be comfortable in the dark. I always made sure to count my shadows and I always kept an ear open in case I heard the familiar woosh of the TARDIS. I knew it would never happen but hey a girl can dream right? I even set my ringtone on my mobile to be the TARDIS woosh. The first time I heard it I flipped out.
Then I began to notice small oddities. I thought it was just my overactive imagination. Little things began to go missing, and there were points where I couldn’t remember what I had been doing the second before. Perhaps the most significant incidence was when my Wite-Out suddenly repaired itself. I was in school, and I opened my pencil case to use it. It was TARDIS blue and damaged beyond repair so I chucked it. A couple hours later I opened up my pencil case and there it was sitting, good as new, with the same exact marks on it. I had to double check with my friend that it had indeed been broken. The next day a meteorite hit Russia. As a new Whovian, of course the first thing I though was “Aliens!” However days passed, and then a week, and then two, with no news of anything extraterrestrial. But I still lived each day in hope.
One night, I was stuck at home in bed with a low grade fever. My parents and my brother had all gone out so I was home alone. There was nothing to do other than watch all my favorite Doctor Who episodes again. I was about to doze off when I heard the unmistakable woosh. I shrugged it off as just the television. It couldn’t be my mobile because I had turned that off ages ago. I turned the telly off but the woosh persisted. That’s when I knew something was up. I changed out of my jammies as fast as I could and went to investigate.
I peered out of the blinds in my front room, hoping to see a police box, but knowing it wasn’t possible. Sure enough, there was nothing there. Exasperated and blaming my fever, I headed downstairs to get some ice cream. I began to hear rattling around and banging in my basement. I grabbed a flashlight and went to investigate, my heart beginning to pound, not in fear, but anticipation. I slowly began to creep down the stairs, being sure to not make any noise for fear of being caught. I wanted to admire him before being told to shove off, as he surely would tell me to do after he realized how much of a fangirl I am.
There, in the corner of my very ordinary, very modern basement, was a blue police box from the 1950’s. And there, standing in the doorway, was the Doctor himself. Caution thrown to the wind, I ran up to him and gave him a big hug. “Oi, what was that for?” He asked, not unkindly.
“You seemed like you needed a hug,” I said nonchalantly. Oh what a lie that was, I really just wanted to make sure he was real and not a figure of my imagination. Plus I wanted to see if he hugs as well in real life as he did on screen. He did. And he was really here, pinstripes, Converse, and all.
“Well, that’s a first,” He commented. “Would you mind telling me where and when I am?”
“Chicago, February 17, 2013, Doctor,” I replied.
“How do you know who I am?” He inquired curiously.
“I’m guessing you’ve somehow made your way into this universe. In my universe, you’re nothing more than a television character in a program called Doctor Who. I know almost everything about you, except what your actual name is of course.” I said all of this matter-of-factly.
“How do I know you’re telling the truth? Say something about me you couldn’t possibly know otherwise.”
“I’ll start with the basics. You’re a Time Lord from Gallifrey. You travel in your blue police box called the TARDIS. TARDIS is an acronym for time and relative dimension in space. You have two hearts and twelve rengenerations. You are currently on your tenth body. Right before you regenerated you told Rose that she was fantastic and so were you. The first thing you commented on in this body was how weird it was to have new teeth. You were also disappointed you weren’t ginger. You think that you should always bring bananas to a party and you always give everyone and everything a chance to live. Your catchphrases are ‘Allons-y!’ and ‘I’m sorry, I’m so, so sorry.’ You’ve had many different companions including Rose Tyler, Martha Jones, and Donna Noble and you will have more. And oh yeah, I know your future as well. But I won’t say anything about that. Spoilers!”
He just stared at me with a dumbstruck look on his face. “This is where it gets complicated. And rather awkward.”
Sign up to rate and review this story