Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and the Next Overlord

The Next Step

by JLawrence_Kenny 3 reviews

Harry gives Gnarl some exposition. Gnarl doesn't care much for it.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover,Fantasy - Characters: Harry,Luna - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2013-06-15 - 1287 words

5Original
Oh, hey, this fanfic isn't dead yet! Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Gnarl, there’s something we need to do if we want to take care of Voldemort once and for all.”

Harry sat hunched over on his bed in the almost completely renovated Private Quarters, Gnarl standing in front of him with a look of curiosity on his face. “I thought I had already made it clear, m’Lord. That peon Voldemort won’t stand a chance before you and your Minions.”

Harry nodded in agreement. Even after such a short time, he already knew that his power would soon be equal to Riddle’s if not greater. “That’s true, Gnarl. But it doesn’t matter how many times we kill him unless we take care of this first… He’s created Horcruxes.”

Gnarl’s eyebrows shot up in surprise. “Horcruxes, eh?”

Harry nodded, not too surprised that Gnarl knew the term. “I assume you’re familiar with them, then.”

“Oh, very much so, Master. So that’s how he survived that night sixteen years ago.” Gnarl grinned slightly. “Well, maybe that old snake is smarter than I gave him credit for. It certainly explains his ugly mug. Ripping one’s soul apart is murder on the skin. Now, do you know how many Horcruxes he has, or where they’re located?”

“Yes and no. Dumbledore and I managed to guess a lot of things, but nothing too concrete. Voldemort likely only created six Horcruxes, as he was convinced that having his soul split into seven parts would be most effective.”

“Yes, yes, quite understandable reasoning,” mused Gnarl. “Seven is the most powerful magical number, after all.”

“That was our conclusion as well. Besides the fragment in his own body, we’d deduced that he placed his soul in an old diary from his school days, a ring his grandfather had inherited, a locket belonging to Salazar Slytherin, a cup belonging to Helga Hufflepuff, his pet snake, Nagini, and one more unknown relic, most likely related to the Hogwarts Founders. Thankfully, I destroyed the diary 4 years ago, and Dumbledore destroyed the ring last year. A few months ago, we thought we’d found the locket but…” Harry paused slightly, then continued. “But someone had already found it, and left a note in its place. Dumbledore wound up dead because of the protections around it; I can only imagine what the others will be like. As for where? Well, I haven’t a clue, to be honest.”

Gnarl nodded slowly once more. “Hmmm, yes… Well, I wouldn’t worry overmuch, m’Lord.” Harry blinked twice, aghast. “Think for a moment, Master. Without knowing where to look for these Horcruxes, without any clues hinting at their whereabouts, what could you do at the moment that would make a difference? Wander around the countryside, hoping to stumble across them by chance? Looking for clues where none ought to exist?”

Harry opened his mouth to protest, then just as quickly shut it. That would have been amazingly stupid.

“Where is this note you mentioned?”

“Back at the Burrow, along with everything else I own,” Harry replied with a hint of venom. He didn’t even know if the Burrow was still standing, let alone if his possessions were still there.

“We’ll have to remedy that soon, I suppose. Now then, we have almost a hundred Minions at our disposal now. More than enough to obey your command and lay waste to your enemies. However, they will need a strong Overlord to lead them into battle, so I believe our next move should be to find some Artefacts to supplement your power. Perhaps your new Mistress has another bright idea?”

Turning around, Harry grinned at the sleeping form of Luna. “Somehow, I don’t think her knowledge extends to magical objects, but I suppose it’s worth asking… Later, when she wakes up. I think I exhausted her, and she could use the rest. In the meantime, is there a way that I might get back to the Burrow undetected?”

“Worry not, Master, your Minions can easily retrieve your belongings.”

“I don’t doubt that Gnarl, but I have a suspicion that if I send them alone, they’ll end up blowing up half of Ottery St. Catchpole on their way.”

“Your point being?” Gnarl asked with a condescending look on his face.

Harry fumed slightly. “So I thought we agreed to lay low until we had a stronger foothold in the world? We can’t assume that such destruction would be blamed on Voldemort, especially since he now controls the Ministry.” Inspiration hit Harry on how to further convince Gnarl, and he continued, “Besides, it’d be rather difficult to rule over a giant hole in the ground.”

“Domination before destruction, eh? Now that I understand completely, Master. However, I’m hesitant to create a Netherworld gate anywhere near wizarding dwellings, especially one such as the Burrow, which is undoubtedly being watched. Even a mere Minion gate could be caught by accident if we aren’t careful.”

“Wait.” Maybe there was somewhere they could spawn. “What about Luna’s house? It’s a short walk from the Burrow, and a gate could go undetected when everyone thinks the Lovegoods are as eccentric as they act.”

“Hrm… Perhaps. Even then, I wouldn’t risk anything more than a single Minion gate. Luckily for you, Master, I know a way for you to keep a close eye on your Minions even if your body can’t join them. Leave your tired Mistress and follow me.”


The large chunk of glittering black stone stood menacingly in front of Harry, a Minion standing atop it. “What exactly did you say this was again, Gnarl?”

“A Possession Stone, Master. This shard of the Netherworld is imbued with special magics and will allow your spirit to enter the body of a Minion and control them and other Minions. Unappetizing though it may sound, it does have practical uses, such as if you are too large to enter a certain area, or if you need to sneak around undetected, just like now. Though I do wish we had the Green Minions for this; their stealth capabilities are far more useful for reconnaissance and retrieval.” Harry looked skeptically at the stone, glowing red-orange from reflection of the lava in the background. “Well, no time to waste, Master. Grubby has informed me that the Brown Minion gate is now up within the wards of the Lovegood household. The sooner you get in that Minion, the sooner you can get out.”

Harry nodded, then stepped closer to the Possession Stone. Unsure of what to do, Harry allowed his magic to trickle forth. For a moment, nothing happened. Then the stone and the area around it began to crackle and glow with magic, and Harry felt something pull at him. Suddenly very, very tense, he attempted to pull the magic back, but the pull was impossible to deny. Somehow, he felt his presence leave his body, flying through the air directly towards the Minion atop the stone, and melded right into the small body. There was a brief flicker of struggle as his own spirit subjugated the Minion’s mind, imposing his will on the creature, and then he was looking at his own body, knelt on the ground, shrouded in a magic field, his body’s eyes unfocused and unseeing.

Harry wondered if his life would EVER be normal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next time: Sneaking around the Burrow. Among other things. It's still up in the air at the moment. Feel free to send me more ideas for spell/weapon combinations and any other ideas you may have regarding my fic. Reviews are always appreciated.
Sign up to rate and review this story