Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > Just Playing Dead

Chapter Five

by ArielMaria 0 reviews

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Horror - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2013-07-06 - 1526 words - Complete

0Unrated
He woke up with the sound of machines buzzing around him. His eyes shot open and he found he was staring up at the white ceiling above him. He swallowed down and winced at the soreness in his throat. A couple of times he blinked away the tiredness in his eyes before altogether rising up in the bed. Everything around him was sterile, the machines, the bedding, the floor. He was in a hospital and the thought caused a panic to rise inside of him, numbing his senses until his control was nearly lost to him. He remained there, his head spinning and the dryness of his throat driving him insane.

Carefully he pulled the IV out of his wrist, gasping at the stinging pain that went through him. He swung his legs over the side of the bed and took a deep breath. He felt so exhausted, so tired, so weak. He wasn't even sure how long he had been unconscious but to him it felt as if it had been forever. He couldn't remember being taken here. Someone must have given him some kind of medication to keep him out. The thought left him feeling violated. He didn't like knowing that people had done things to him without his knowledge.

Dragging himself over to the window he sighed heavily at the sight below. Security was everywhere, trying to bar the dozens of cameramen from getting inside. Just one snap of the crazed rock star, one look at his descension. They all wanted a piece of him, all wanted to know how low he had sunk. It was only a matter of time before the entire world found out that no, he wasn't better. That the upcoming tour was no doubt already in jeopardy. If they didn't know already.

He turned away, trying to diminish the image that the sight below imprinted on his mind. The bathroom was so close and he moved inside of it. Feeling around the wall to the toilet. He sighed as he released the weight that having to use the bathroom created before he cleaned himself up and brought his eyes over to the small mirror on the wall. He was afraid to open his eyes and so he stood there, his eyes closed unable to look at the reflection he would be offered. What would he see? Nothing but the effects of this whole nightmare.

He had to brave it though. It was the only way he could carry on, get the hell out of here. So he opened his eyes, letting the dulled blue of them look at himself. He could have screamed if he had any strength left but the only thing he had was shock. How long exactly had he been in here? His face looked hollow, dark circles surrounded his eyes, paleness took root in his skin, his hair was lifeless. His skin was beaten black and blue, scars and scabs. He was a walking corpse, drained of life by whatever hell he had been pulled into. Would this really kill him? After suffering for so long, was this to be his end?

Fumbling with the faucet he turned on the water letting it run out warm and he splashed it on his face. His wet hands gripped onto the side of the sink as he lowered his head and took a long breath. He watched the pearls of water drip into the porcelain of the sink. He tried to breathe normally, tried not to make it feel so shallow inside his chest. It didn't work, he felt breathless, hell he felt lifeless. His hands were shaking when he lifted one and held it before one of his eyes.

He nearly jumped when he heard the door open from the room. He turned to look out the bathroom door and saw Harlow enter. She had a drink carrier with her, two coffees set inside and a couple of pastries in her other hand. Her hair was pulled back in a neat ponytail and her sundress was the same he had always loved. She had an air of rejuvenation about her. How had she known he would be up today? Was this scheduled? Had she been the one to admit him? Had she stuck that IV into his veins and pumped him with medicine.

Her expression changed when she didn't see him in the bed as she set down the things she was carrying. "Jared?" She softly called out, her worry evident. She pushed her sunglasses up to the top of head as she walked over to the window. Disgust filled her eyes as she sighed heavily. "Vultures." She whispered with distaste, her eyes watching the media out there wanting a piece of a man's world that was so full of suffering.

He walked over to the bathroom door, leaning against the heavy wood. His eyes watched her a moment, a million possibilities filling his eyes. What could have happened while he was passed out?

"What happened to me?' He nearly croaked out even though he tried so hard to make his voice sound normal enough. It still came out ragged and shaky. He hated the sound of it, the weakness of his voice that he was in no way accustomed to. He was always someone people listened to and now he was but a shadow of that man from his past.The nightmares had ripped him away. Would he ever come back? Or would he simply exist in memories for Jared to try and reach for with a million futile attempts?

She turned around at the sound of his voice, a gasp escaping her lips as she settled her gaze on him."Jared!" She breathed out, her hand on her chest as she crossed the room to him. She looked him over, her worry still resting there in her eyes. She was scared, that was obvious. "I'm so glad you're awake." She whispered, reaching out and wrapping her arms around his waist. Her head went to his chest with a sigh.

He closed his eyes on the sweetness of her weight as his own weakened arms went around her. He tried to press her closer to him but it didn't work, his strength had all but vanished. Instead he took in the soft scent of her hair, the feel of her embrace. He wasn't even sure how long he had been out but he still missed this, missed her. She was his solace and in his darkness that was what he needed. "I missed you." He whispered down to her, his lips brushing over several strands of her hair as he arms tightened gently around him,

Finally she pulled away and looked up at him. Her eyes held his a moment before she pressed firmly on his lower back to lead him back to the bed. "Let's get you rested." She softly said once she got him to sit back.

He sighed once he was against the pillows, his eyes closing as she lifted up the bed with the remote to get him to sit up. He smiled softly at her once she sat down, her hand reaching out and touching his, her fingers tracing a light caress over his skin.

"Tired baby?" She asked, her eyes full of concern.

He nodded a little but didn't close his eyes like he assumed she wanted. "What happened? How long have I been out?"

Her head tilted a little as confusion replaced the worry in her gaze. "Out?" She asked, her hand pulling back from his. "You haven't been out."

"What do you mean?" His own confusion blared from his eyes, holding the look on her face and trying to understand what she meant. "I have been out, after the cafe'...."

She shook her head again, her hands folding in her lap as she tried to soften the look on her face. "Jared, baby, you've been awake...."

"Then what happened?" He demanded a little harshly now as he moved forward to look her in the eyes as if he wanted to make sure she wasn't lying to him.

"After the cafe' you ran. We couldn't find you for a couple of days but when we did you were..." She cut herself off as she lowered her head with a small pained breath.

"I was what?" His voice grew harsher now, his hand pushing back through his hair. He could feel his shaking getting worse, his frustration escalating.

"You were unconscious then. Beaten, bruised, bloodied." Tears slipped from her eyes as she lowered her head, her upset more than evident. She was scared, sorrowed, terribly driven to a point of panic.

He tried to process the idea but it made sense. The pain in his body, the condition of his face. "A letter....was there a letter?"

She nodded, wiping at her tears as she lifted her eyes to his again. The tears wouldn't stop falling though, a glistening trail along her skin. "When you wake up, remember this, next time you won't. Death will take you, one way or another and it'll be at my hand.."
Sign up to rate and review this story