Categories > TV > Star Trek: The Next Generation > A New Frontier

5: New Friends, New Mission

by ralphmullins 0 reviews

The crew of the USS Enterprise-E has had to face many different threats, but this one is unlike any they have ever faced.

Category: Star Trek: The Next Generation - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover,Sci-fi - Warnings: [!!!] [V] [?] - Published: 2013-07-20 - 4007 words

0Unrated
General O’Neill looked over the reports on his desk and smiled. They were reports about his new favorite things; the weapons platform and the ships they were building. He always got giddy about things like that. He sighed and read the reports, raising an eyebrow. “Huh. Cool.” He said.

There was a soft hum and a shimmering light in front of his desk that made General O’Neill look up. He smiled as Captain Picard came into view.

“Captain. Been awhile.” O’Neill said, standing and shaking the Captains hand.

“Indeed it has, General.” Picard said. “How are things progressing here?” he asked, walking over to the replicator. “Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.” He said to the machine, taking his cup after the replicator created his requested beverage.

“Can’t complain. We go out, explore, get shot at, come back.” O’Neill shrugged. “Daniel and Carter still say it’s all very fascinating.”

Picard smiled. “Miss going through the gate yourself?”

“Yes.” O’Neill said, leaning forward. “I swear, if I trusted them to put someone in charge of this whole mess that wouldn’t twist it into their own personal power base, I’d step down in a second.” He said. “How about you folks? Have you found a way home?” he asked.

Picard shook his head. “No. Unfortunately, every planet we have been to has had either the remains destroyed, or there was nothing of any technical sort left behind. We’ve studied them and I have a large report for Dr. Jackson, but as far as any explanation on the way a Stargate functions, I’m afraid we are at a loss.” He said. “Have you had any more trouble from the Goa’uld?” he asked.

“No ship coming to try to blow us up, if that’s what you’re asking. Just the usual run-in’s when we step through the gate.” O’Neill said. “So. What’s on your mind?” he asked.

“Am I that obvious?” Picard asked.

“Not really, just a hunch. There’s a really big universe out there, and I can’t imagine you’re the type that stays close to the nest.” O’Neill said.

“Not really, no. However, I didn’t want to get so far away that we couldn’t get back in case something happened.” Picard said.

“Thanks for the sentiment, but there is a really big weapons platform up there right now that would give any Goa’uld Ha’Tak a run for its money.” O’Neill said. “Thanks to some really close allies.” He smiled.

Picard smiled back. “Well, actually, that’s what brings me. I was wanting to meet with your President, and then to the representatives of your UN Security Council.”

“Why?” O’Neill asked.

“Let’s just say, the platform and Utopia Planitia-A have made my crew very…ambitious.” Picard said.

O’Neill smiled. “I can call the President right now, but the Council is gonna take some time.”

Picard smiled back. “Excellent.”

To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+

Captains Log-Supplemental

The meeting with the United States President and his staff went well and he is quite eager to begin the undertaking we have presented him with. I have pressed that the project will not work without the full support of the United Nations Security Council and their respective countries. The United States, Great Britain, France, China and Russia all need to cooperate in order for the plans my Chief Engineer and First Officer have come up with to work.

While I am also eager to see if the plans are plausible, I am also eager to continue to find a way home. While I cannot speak with certainty about the rest of my crew, I can say for myself that I miss MY home and MY Earth. That is not to say that the Earth here has not been lovely, but I wish to return to our previous task…I now sympathize, to an even greater extent, with Captain Janeway and Voyager.

Captain Picard stared out the window at the planet spinning beneath him. Earth. It wasn’t his Earth, but it was Earth. The door chime interrupted his thoughts. “Come.” He said.

The door opened and Data stepped in. “Am I interrupting, sir?” Data asked.

“Not at all, Mr. Data. I was just thinking of how to get home.” Picard said.

“As have I, sir.” Data said, holding out a PADD.

Picard took the data device and looked over the contents. “And this is what you have come up with?” Picard asked.

“Yes sir.” Data said. “While the records of the Stargate held by Earth are extensive, they are several hundreds of years behind the Asgard in their understanding of the technology.”

Picard continued skimming the report. “And you believe that the Asgard are a better source of information for understanding how the Stargate system works?”

“Yes sir.” Data said. “They are one of the three races that have had interactions with the Ancients personally. They are also the holders of two of the libraries of Ancient knowledge.”

Picard nodded. “How are things progressing here?” Picard asked.

“Quite well sir. We are ahead of schedule.” Data said.

Picard smiled. “You have to admire their tenacity.” Picard said. “Very well. Set course for Asgard space. Maximum Warp.” Picard said.

Data nodded. “Yes sir.”

Picard turned and looked out of the portal at Earth. “And open a channel to Stargate Command. I want to let them know where we will be going.”

Data nodded and left the room.

To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+

General O’Neill sighed looking at the monitor in his office. Since the tech upgrades the Enterprise gave them were installed, communications, medical and even the food has gotten better. He was looking at Captain Picard now, and the Enterprise was apparently not even in the Solar System any more.

“And so we are going to seek out the Asgard to see if they can help with our current predicament.” Picard said.

“Well, I wish you luck, Captain.” O’Neill said. “Say ‘Hi’ to Thor for me when you see him.”

“I will. Picard out.” Picard said, ending the connection.

O’Neill looked over at the stack of paperwork and sighed. The recruits for the two new ships were almost done with their training. The holosuite that the Enterprise crew had built on one of the lower levels of the mountain was a much more effective training tool than the shuttlecraft that Enterprise had left to try and train the crews on. The four crews of eighty were all vying for the two ship openings, the other two would be assigned to the platform until they began construction of two new ships. Right now, teams one and four were in the lead.

O’Neill took the first folder and began to whittle down the paperwork, hoping that Enterprise got more out of the Asgard about the technology of the Ancients than he had.

To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+

Captains Log-Supplemental

The trip to the Asgard galaxy would have taken over 1,300 years, so we have arranged to meet an Asgard ship nearby, they will take us into Asgard space to meet with their council. We are traveling at Warp 9 to the rendezvous point and will be there in less than three hours. I understand the trip to Asgard space will take less than five minutes. Mr. LaForge is, understandably, quite anxious to get a look at the Asgard hyperdrive engines. We are further honored that the Supreme Commander of the Asgard fleet will be there to meet with us. This proves to be an excellent opportunity to open talks with the highly advanced race.

“Bridge to Captain Picard.” Data’s clipped tone cut into the Captains recording of his log.

“Go ahead, Data.” Picard said.

“We are nearing the rendezvous point.” Data reported.

“Excellent. I’ll join you on the bridge, in the meantime, hail our escort.” Picard said, smiling and closing his log.

“Aye sir.” Data signed off.

Picard walked to the turbolift and boarded, feeling almost giddy. Apart from the Ancients, which General O’Neill said were all ascended, the Asgard proved to be the best shot at helping the Enterprise and her crew get back home. Of all of the advanced races the SGC had in their computers, the Asgard were closest in technological understanding to the Ancients.

“Any sign of them, Data?” Picard asked, walking onto the bridge off of the turbolift.

“We have them on sensors and on visual, however there has been no response to our hails.” Data said, studying the console on his chair.

“Try them again.” Picard said.

Worf tapped a few keys and then nodded to Picard.

“This is the Federation starship Enterprise. Please respond.” Picard said.

There was no answer.

“Mr. Worf, are there any life signs?” Picard asked, a cold feeling in his stomach forming.

Worf studied his console and nodded. “Yes. But it is very faint.” Worf said. “There are also several other anomalous readings throughout the ship. And a tactical scan shows that the ship has been damaged.”

Picard narrowed his gaze. “Yellow alert, I want a more detailed scan, Mr. Worf. Identify those… anomalous readings.”

Worf nodded and the ship went into yellow alert. His fingers moving over the controls, Worf frowned. “I cannot identify the readings, sir.” Worf admitted through clenched teeth. “Recommend sending an away team over.”

Picard studied the Asgard vessel and nodded. “Agreed. Mr. Data, beam over and report back what you find.”

Data stood and nodded. “Yes sir.” He said. “Commander Worf, with me.” He said. Data tapped his combadge as he and Worf walked to the turbolift. “This is Commander Data to security. Assemble an away team and meet me in transporter room three.”

The turbolift doors closed and Data turned to Worf. “I have been researching scenarios since we found the Daniel Jackson and I continue to come up with the same result.” He said. “Deck nine.” He told the computer.

Worf nodded. “Replicators.” He growled.

Data nodded. “It seems to be the only race capable of sustaining an ongoing conflict with the Asgard.”

Worf sighed deeply. “Wonderful.” He muttered.

To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+

Five forms shimmered into existence on the cool decks of the Asgard battle cruiser Daniel Jackson and three lights pierced the gloom of the ship. They stood in a hallway and saw no sign of any life.

“Our primary mission is to see if Supreme Commander Thor is on board and in need of assistance. Secondary to that goal is the positive identification of the anomalous readings that Commander Worf and myself believe to be a race called Replicators.” Data said to the three security personnel. They all nodded and began to scan the area with tricorders.

“Commander.” Worf said, calling Data over to his position by the door. “It will not open.” Worf said.

Data looked over the control panel and his positronic brain translated the Asgard writing, using the notes he read supplied by Daniel Jackson. “It has been sealed to prevent any movement into or out of this room.” He said. Data looked over the door and motioned Worf to move back. Digging his fingers into the small crevice between the doorframe and the door, Data pulled. The door began to slide under the androids considerable strength. Soon there was enough room to squeeze through.

Once inside, the security team set up a small force field over the door, just in case. Whatever had sealed the door did it for a reason.

“Why have you breached the door?” a soft voice echoed in the vast, empty room.

Data and Worf turned as the lights powered up and saw Thor sitting in a high backed chair in front of several computer panels.

“I am Commander Data from the Federation starship Enterprise.” Data said.

“I know.” Thor said, turning back to his computer panels.

Data and Worf exchanged nervous looks.

“We have come to rescue you.” Worf answered, when suddenly the security officers posted at the doorway called for him.

“Commander Worf!” the guard called. “Sir, we have movement.” He said.

Worf moved to the door and saw several forms scurrying down the hallway, some on the floor and even more on the walls and ceiling.

Worf held the pulse phaser rifle against his shoulder and took aim. “Drop the field.” He barked. The air in front of the door shimmered and Worf began to fire. The first several shots disintegrated the Replicators.

“How is it possible that your energy weapons are effective?” Thor asked Data.

“From what I am able to discern, Asgard weapons use a focused, plasma based energy weapon. Our phasers are Phased Energy Rectification using the rapid nadion effect, where nadions are subatomic particles that allow the beam to liberate strong nuclear forces.” Data said.

Thor looked back at Worf firing at the Replicators, vaporizing them. “I see.” He said. “And how do you allow for the cohesion of the particle stream before the nadions disperse?” he asked.

“The phaser beam travels at the speed of light, allowing the beam to have an effective range of several hundred meters before dispersal occurs.” Data said.

Worf fired another shot and, much to his dismay, saw the Replicator only stagger and continue on. He shook his head. “Not again.” He muttered. Moving back inside, he turned to look at Data. “They have adapted to the phaser.” He said.

Data nodded and tapped his communicator. “Data to Enterprise.” He said.

“Enterprise here Data, go ahead.” Captain Picards voice came over the comm.

“Sir. We have found Commander Thor and are prepared for transport.” Data said.

“And the energy signatures?” Picard asked.

Worf ground his teeth. “Replicators.” He said, shaking his head.

“I see. Prepare for transport.” Picard said.

As Data and the away team moved in to begin transport, Data saw a familiar figure outside the room. He was about to speak when he felt the transporter beam activate. Data found himself looking at Captain Picard in the transporter room.

“Something wrong, Commander?” Picard asked.

“Yes sir. I believe I saw Colonel Carter as we were being transported. She was surrounded by Replicators.” Data said as he stepped off the pad.

Suddenly, the ship was rocked and the red alert klaxons sounded.

Captain Picard tapped his communicator. “Report!” he ordered as he, Data and Worf made their way to the bridge.

“We’re under attack, sir.” Came the reply. “The Asgard ship is firing at us.”

“Shields to full, prepare to return fire!” ordered Picard.

Data, Picard and Worf all boarded the turbolift, Thor coming along with them.

“I do not believe your vessel will be a match for the DanielJackson.” Thor said.

Picard looked at Worf, who shook his head softly. “I see, Commander.” Picard said to Thor.

The turbolift doors opened and the four stepped onto the bridge, another blast rocking the ship causing circuits to blow behind several of the panels, the Enterprise’s computer automatically re-routing command pathways through undamaged circuits.

“Report.” Picard said calmly, sitting in his chair.

“Shields down to…” Worf re-checked the display.

Picard turned. “Mr. Worf?”

“Shields are down to fifteen percent.” Worf said, grinding his teeth.

“After two volleys?!” Picard asked, shocked. Recovering quickly, Picard looked at Thor. “Are there any weaknesses you can tell us about?” he asked Thor.

Thor looked at Picard and shook his head. “There are none. The DanielJackson is one of the most advanced battle cruisers the Asgard have ever produced. It was made specifically to combat the Replicator threat.” Thor said.

“Sir, sensors are picking up several incoming objects.” The conn officer said.

“Identify.” Picard said.

The conn officer’s hands flew over the controls. “They appear to match the sensor anomalies we saw on the scan of the DanielJackson.” She replied.

Thor looked at the sensor panel. “The Replicators launch small pods of their blocks at ships, infecting them and using the raw materials for replication.” The Supreme Commander replied.

Picard smiled. “That’s all. They simply float across and latch onto the ship?”

Thor nodded.

“Well then.” Picard said. “Commander LaForge.” He tapped his communicator.

“Go ahead sir.” LaForge’s voice came back over the communicator.

“Mr. LaForge, we need to activate the navigational deflector array.” Picard said. “Any troubles?”

A few seconds passed before LaForge came back on the communicator. “All set sir. Just had to override the protocol that only engages it in warp drive.”

Picard nodded to the conn officer and smiled.

The ship hummed slightly and the crew held their breath slightly.

“It’s working sir. None of the pods can approach within ten meters of the hull.” The Conn officer said.

“Set course, bearing 180-mark 0.” Picard said. “Maximum Warp.”

The conn officer keyed the commands and the Enterprise lurched and shot off into space at nearly three trillion kilometers per second.

Thor looked at the display in front of him, staying out of the way of the crew. “Most impressive. What was the weapon used to avoid the Replicators from boarding your vessel?”

Picard smiled. “It wasn’t a weapon, it was our navigational deflector array.”

“Explain it to me, please.” Thor pressed.

“Of course. I’m sure Mr. LaForge would be more than happy to give you all of the details as soon as we make sure the ship is alright.” Picard said.

Thor nodded. “I would be most interested.”

To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+

Picard looked over the engineering reports on his desk. “Well done, Mr. LaForge.” He praised his Chief engineer. “And have you gone over the sensor data from the scan of the DanielJackson when we first arrived?”

“Yes sir. I’ve attuned the sensors to scan for the energy output of the Replicators kiron pathways.” LaForge replied.

“Excellent.” Picard said. “Are you free right now?”

LaForge nodded. “Yes sir. I was about to go off duty.”

“Would you mind taking Supreme Commander Thor on a tour of engineering?” Picard asked.

LaForge seemed eager. “I’d be happy to.”

“Dismissed.” Picard said, smiling at his chief engineer.

LaForge left the Captain’s ready room and headed to the turbolift. He was very eager to have a talk with Thor about his own ship, and he was nearly giddy to talk about the Enterprise. Stepping into the lift, he looked at the ceiling, smiling. “Deck three.” He said. The turbolift shot off, seeking the deck at a rapid pace. ‘Yeah.’ Geordi thought. ‘This is gonna be great.’

To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+

The Enterprise raced through space at Warp 9.7, heading away from the replicator-infested DanielJackson. The conn officer studied her panels and constantly scanned the area of space all around them looking for any signs of the vessel pursuing them. The screen showed nothing for several million kilometers in any direction, when suddenly an alarm flashed on her screen.

“Sir, we have a subspace disturbance ahead.” She reported.

Data looked up from his command chair and nodded. “On screen.”

The image on the screen showed a nebulous cloud appearing ahead of them, with a very familiar shape flashing out of the center as the cloud disappeared.

“It’s the DanielJackson sir.” The conn said. “They appeared out of nowhere.”

“That is not correct, Lieutenant.” Data said. “They appeared out of what seemed to be a subspace breech.”

The conn officer just stared. Her instruments affirmed the Commander’s assessment. “Sir, the Federation is years from that kind of travel.” She said.

“Red alert, drop out of Warp.” Data said. “All hands at battle stations.” Data spoke calmly and efficiently, keying the controls on the arm of his command chair. “Captain Picard to the bridge.”

To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+

“And so, the field actually expands into subspace and distorts regular space to allow for FTL speed without relativistic effects.” Geordi said as he walked Thor through Main Engineering.

Thor nodded. “Most impressive.” He said. “However, would it not be easier to simply enter into Hyperspace?”

Geordi chuckled lightly. “To do so would take a lot more power than the Enterprise, or any other Federation starship for that matter, has.” He said, shaking his head. He studied the small aliens and suddenly his smile dropped. “You can do it, can’t you?” he said in awe. “That must be how you are able to travel across the galaxy so quickly.” He said. “How did you get the power? How do you create a widow large enough to accommodate an entire ship?” he started to ask, when suddenly, the Red Alert klaxons went off.

“What is happening?” Thor asked.

Geordi went to the command panel and studied the monitor. “Looks like your ship is back.” He said.

“I must get to your bridge.” Thor said.

“Right.” Geordi said. “Ensign.” He looked at the security escort. “Take Thor to the main bridge, please.”

The security officer nodded, leading the frail looking alien to the turbolift.

To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+ To Boldly Go ~+~+~+

“Report.” Captain Picard strode onto the bridge.

“The DanielJackson has appeared approximately 500,000 kilometers from our present location.” Data said.

“What is it doing?” Picard asked.

“At the moment, nothing.” Data said. “We have been subject to numerous scans so far.”

“Combat status?” Picard asked Worf.

“Shields are at maximum and phasers are fully charged. Photon torpedo tubes are loaded.” Worf said.

“Hail them.” Picard said.

Worf keyed the controls and shook his head. “No response.”

“Are they receiving us?” Picard asked as the turbolift doors opened.

“They are. However, they are scanning your technology to see if they with to replicate it.” Thor said, stepping onto the bridge.

The alarms went off and the DanielJackson opened fire. Circuits exploded all over the bridge and the lights went out, the emergency lighting coming back on after several seconds.

“Report!” Picard called out.

Data stood quickly and moved to the now abandoned tactical station. Worf was unconscious on the deck. “Shields are down. We have numerous hull breeches on decks ten through twenty-three. List of casualties number so far…” Data paused, waiting for the data compile. “Casualties so far at over three hundred.

Picard stared at the viewscreen, which was dark now, in awe. There had been one shot. Just one. “Weapons status?” he asked.

“Inoperative.” Data said.

“Shields?” Picard turned.

“Also inoperative.” Data said.

“Can we run?” Picard asked.

Data looked at the controls. “No sir. The warp core is about to breech.” Data said.

“LaForge to bridge!” the chief engineer’s voice echoed over the communicator.

“Go ahead.” Data replied.

“We’re about to have a core breech. I have to jettison the warp core!” LaForge replied.

“Acknowledged. Do we have impulse power?” Picard replied, nodding his thanks to Data. He was still very shaken from the news.

“I can give you maybe half impulse.” LaForge said. “That’s about it.”

Picard nodded. “Let me know the second you have the core ejected.” Picard said.

“Yes sir.” LaForge said, cutting the relay.

Picard looked at Data. “What are the replicators doing?” he asked.

Data looked at the screen in front of him. “Nothing at the moment, sir.” He said. “They appear to be waiting.”

Thor staggered to the control panel nearest him and began to move his hands over the LCARS display. “They are scanning a section of space behind them.” Thor said.

“What are they looking for?” Picard asked.

Thor turned. “Reinforcements.” He said.

Four hyperspace windows opened up behind the DanielJackson and four Asgard heavy battle cruisers jumped in behind it.

Picard stared at the display. If one shot from one ship was able to terminally cripple his ship, he shuddered to think what five ships would do to the Enterprise.
Sign up to rate and review this story