Categories > TV > Doctor Who > An Unexpected Journey

Stakes and First Dates

by TheDoctorsTARDISXO 0 reviews

Did you REALLY think we'd leave the Ponds to fend for themselves? Time to rescue them! And then time for Amy to put her diabolical plan into action

Category: Doctor Who - Rating: G - Genres: Romance,Sci-fi - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2013-08-13 - 3063 words

0Unrated
Doctor Who is again owned by his most groovy-ness Steven Moffat and the bell-bottom wearing chaps at the BBC (they traveled to the 70s or so I'm told) ~XO TheDoctorsTARDISXO

A warning bell went off from somewhere inside the TARDIS. It sounded like it was coming from the console room. The Doctor released me from his crushing embrace and the two of us made a dash for the console room without as much as a glance to each other. We knew that for any type of bell or alarm to be going off inside the TARDIS, something had to be wrong. Up to the console we jogged, the two of us flipping switches and pushing buttons. Somewhere in the back of my mind it amazed me that I knew exactly what switches to flip and buttons to push upon this very elaborate console, then I remembered that I had all the knowledge of a Time Lord in my mind, that I myself was one of them. It was a graceful dance the Doctor and I were performing and we weaved to and fro around the console together completely in sync. A matter of moments later we had a reading up on the monitor. It was an SOS call from Amy and Rory.

"They're in trouble Doctor. I'm trying to get the video frequency on their wrist communicators working, but something is jamming the signal." I called out to him as I smacked the monitor as hard as I could. Bloody thing just did not want to work properly.

"No time to waste then, yeah? We'd better go rescue the Ponds before something really terrible happens." He replied with a smile imputing coordinates and finally hitting the dematerialization lever sending the TARDIS hurling though the Time Vortex.

I held on for dear life, for once enjoying the feeling of the TARDIS moving throughout the Vortex. I didn't feel sick from the roller-coaster like shock waves, and as odd as it was to say, I felt much more connected to the TARDIS than before. I knew it had to be because I was a fully fledged Time Lady now. I remembered the feeling the first time, four years ago beneath the Chameleon Arch. The TARDIS knew what the Doctor had to do that day, and she stayed with me the entire time. Throughout my protests, my tears, my begging, she held on to me giving me strength that I needed to be brave and trust the Doctor then. I heard a low rumbling noise coming from my left and knew it was the TARDIS. She knew I was remembering those times, and she was right there letting me know she herself never forgot either. We landed as noisily as ever and the two of us wasted no time. Amy and Rory were in trouble and we had to find them. God only knows what the people of this town could do to them, hell you take one look at them and the way they speak and clothing they wear and you just know they're not from this time. The people of Salem, Massachusetts might just burn them at the stake.

We landed on a hill top a little ways outside of the town. From our vantage point we saw numerous people gathered in the town square. The Doctor and I vaguely heard the sounds of muffled shouts and saw six different stakes erected in the square. The townspeople were adding piles of wood around some of the stakes, while I noticed that just behind the action five blindfolded people were being led to what only could be their deaths. If this was any other day I would have been so excited to see this happen in person, I mean it was terrible what the people of Salem did, burning innocents for practicing "witchcraft", but think about how amazing it would be to see it for yourself. Like I said, today wasn't one of these days, especially when I noticed the two blindfolded people who stood taller than the rest. The girl with the fiery red hair, and the boy in the puffy down vest. Amy and Rory. Things were about to go from bad to worse.

"Doctor they have Amy and Rory. I told you that you shouldn't have just sent them off with nothing but dinky little wrist communicators are protection!" I couldn't believe the Doctor just shipped his best friends out like this. And where was this friend of his that was in trouble. A feeling of ice cold dread came over me. "Doctor," I began my voice tight and emotionless, "you're mate was never in trouble was he? There's no one here for them to save."

I watched as the Doctor paced back and forth occasionally running a hand through his floppy brown hair or occasionally tossing the sonic screwdriver between his hands. He was nervous, worried, and above all not happy that I saw through his ruse. "Oh alright, you're right. I lied, there was never anyone here in danger, and I just sent the Ponds off so we could have some time to discuss what had happened in Greenwich. This wasn't supposed to happen, this was supposed to be the time before anyone took witchcraft seriously here." He paused for a moment to nervously scratch at his chin, "Looks like I made a mistake with the coordinates."

I have never wanted to slap someone so much in my entire life as I wanted to slap the Doctor at that moment. I wanted to punch him or scream at him. How could he be so bloody DAFT!? For a Time Lord he tends to have a very bad sense of timing. Come on now Kayden, focus. You have all the time in the world to beat the ever living daylights out of the daft bow tie wearing idiot, right now Amy and Rory need you two more than anything. Things were getting worse now. The townspeople had just finished securing the so called "witches" to the stakes and had begun to light the torches. One by one the piles of wood at the innocent's feet began to smoke and blaze. We couldn't wait any longer.

"Doctor! Come on we have to save them!" I shouted and grabbed his hand and together the two of us ran like we'd never run before. Down the hill and into the village we went. I shoved passed all the people blocking my way until a wall of flames stopped me from getting any closer and the Doctor yanked on my arm to stop me colliding with them.

"Who are you people?" One of the townsfolk cried as they all backed a few steps away from us. To them we looked rabid, crazy, like nothing they've ever seen before.

"Oh yes ah, hello," The Doctor called out and waved to his unlucky audience, "I'm the Doctor and this is Kayden Grey, say hi to the nice townspeople Kayden."

"Uh, hello." I tried my best to smile politely and wave all while looking around to see how I could get past the fire to save Amy and Rory.

"We've come to collect our good friends, Amy and Rory who I see you've met. Aren't they lovely? Now what on earth could they have down to your beautiful town to receive such treatment? They're perfectly harmless. A bit stubborn from time to time, but who's asking, am I right?" The Doctor spoke to the townspeople trying to get their full attention on him.

"Oi!" I heard both Amy and Rory call out amidst the flames and I had to smile at how even in a life or death situation they were ever so stubborn.

The flames were spreading a bit more rapidly now, and I heard the people behind me begin to choke on the fumes and smoke. I shot a pleading look to the Doctor and he gave the minutest nod to me. I took that as a sign and made my way around to the back of the square trying to figure out how I was going to get the Ponds out of this predicament. The Doctor, on the other hand was putting on quite a show. He had taken his sonic screwdriver out of his jacket pocket and began performing acts of "witchcraft". Leave it to the Doctor to cause more fear and panic in a town that was already full of fear.

"Witch! Sorcerer! The Prophecy foretold of your coming! You and your magic blue box, and companions who do not belong here. They're coming for you and they're getting closer, closer now." One of the elderly townspeople cried out and the Doctor was momentarily stunned. What on earth could they be talking about?

"What do you mean the prophecy? What prophecy, and who's coming? Tell me! Who?" The Doctor had made his way through the crowd to the elderly woman who cried out to him.

While the Doctor had the entire town of Salem distracted by his "witchcraft" and talks of a prophecy that somehow managed to make the hair on my arms stand on end, I was struggling to find a way to get to Amy and Rory. There was a wall of flames separating myself and them, and I could not for the life of me find a well or a bucket of water to put it out. It's not like the water would have done anything anyway, the fire was burning out of control. If I did not get to them in a matter of minutes they would be goners.

"Kayden!" Amy called out trying to find me, "Hurry! I don't know how much longer Rory and I've got! Any time you're ready to save us is much appreciated."

"You're becoming like the Doctor," Rory expressed with a cough, "always having to make a dramatic entrance and wait until the last moment. Can't you Time Lords do anything relatively normal for once!"

I had to giggle, couldn't help it. Here they were burning at the stake for witchcraft and Amy and Rory were going on about how not normal the Doctor and I were.

"Keep talking like that Rory I'll grab myself a bite to eat before rescuing you, yeah?" I shouted back. I knew what I had to do, it was the only thing I could do at this moment. I gathered up all my courage and steeled my nerves. I backed up a few paces before charging straight for the flames, "Here goes nothing!" I cried and leapt through them.

Boy was Amy and Rory glad to see me, just as glad as I was to see them I would imagine. The heat was unbearable and instantly my hair clung messily to my face, and smoke and soot began to stain my clothing. The Ponds looked at me like I was nuts, I mean who else in their right mind would just go barreling through a wall of flames. No human in their right mind would, I guess it's a good day to be a Time Lady huh?

"Boy am I glad to see your faces." I coughed against the smoke as I quickly undid the ropes holding Amy and then the two of us went to work on the ropes holding Rory. The smoke stung our eyes and we worked, and it became harder to breathe with every breath we took. Once we finally had Rory freed I grabbed their hands and we stared down the flames in front of us. "Well I know what my Doctor would say: Allons-y!" With a leap the three of us made it out alive.

The townspeople already freaked out over the arrival of the Doctor and his "witchcraft" screamed and ran for safety when they saw the three of us come bursting out of the flames. I had a momentary pang of guilt that I couldn't save everyone still trapped behind the wall of fire. Part of me wanted to go back and save them, but I knew I couldn't not with Amy and Rory running as fast as they could towards the TARDIS dragging me along. The Doctor was hot on our heels, and he did not look happy. I wondered for a moment if he got the answer to whatever the prophecy was. Again just at the thought of the word prophecy a shiver ran down my spine as I ran. Why did I suddenly have the feeling that I've heard of some type of prophecy before? The Ponds and I didn't let go of each others hands until we were safely inside the TARDIS with the doors shut and locked behind us. We stood around the console, covered in smoke and soot gasping for breath from that running. We did it; we were safe and had managed to rescue the Ponds. The Doctor wasted no time in getting us out the Salem. Around the console he ran, still looking very cross as he pushed buttons and flipped levers getting us to safety. Only when the TARDIS stopped shaking and we all managed to catch our breath did he unleash his fury on us.

"What the hell was that? Are the three of you absolutely crazy? Have you lost your minds with that stunt! You scared the living daylights out of me. I could have lost the three of you and then I would have had to massacre and entire town then find a new name because I most definitely wouldn't be the Doctor anymore!"

I was not having any of this from the Doctor, not now, not after all we just went through. If the Time Lord wanted to unleash his fury on us, then let's see how he handled it thrown right back at him.

"Oh don't you even BEGIN to be cross with us, bow tie man. It was YOUR fault Amy and Rory were in this mess to begin with. You're the one who stranded them in Salem to begin with, just because you wanted to have a private Time Lord-y conversation without them eavesdropping. So if anyone is to blame for this mess, it's YOU Doctor, not us!"

It turned into a yelling match then between the Doctor and I. He yelled about my being reckless and not thinking through how to save Amy and Rory, stating that just because I was a Time Lady now and could regenerate if injured was no excuse for jumping though fire with his friends. I yelled back that I did what I had to to save them. Time was running out and I went with my gut. Yes we were a bit burned and singed, but we made it out alive and that is what counted. He came right back shouting at me about how stubborn and complicated I was being. I went right back at him, calling him a hypocrite.

"Don't even try it Doctor! If it was MY Doctor that was with us, he wouldn't have wasted time distracting the townspeople with a charade of fake magic, he would have been first one in the flames to rescue his friends!"

The entire atmosphere of the room changed after I shouted that, and the Doctor flinched like he had just been slapped across the face and kicked in the shin at the same time. I knew I had crossed some type of line. He was after all, still my Doctor. Well, I mean he is the same Time Lord, sure just changed his face and all but, oh hell I really did it this time.

"Oh that's it I have had it with you two!" Amelia Pond cried out before stomping over and grabbing the Doctor and me by our wrists. She began leading us through the corridors of the TARDIS before she stopped in front of my door. "Rory take the Doctor to the theater and keep him there. Kayden and I will join you soon." Rory nodded at his wife and squared his shoulders before dragging the Doctor by the lapels of his tweed coat down some more corridors and out of view. Then the fiery redhead turned her fury on me.

Amy dragged my into my room and like a whirlwind had me cleaned up and dressed in a beautiful midnight blue satin dress complete with dark blue heels. She worked like a woman crazed, throwing my hair up in a chignon and applying my makeup. When she finally thought I had earned the Amelia Pond seal of approval she led me by the wrist through the corridors of the TARDIS to the theater where Rory and the Doctor were waiting.

"Amelia Pond what are you doing?" The Doctor asked her, he was still cross since he only ever calls her Amelia when he's cross.

"I have had it up to hear with your constant bickering! Can't you two see that you need each other? You're both the last of your race, and you need to learn to get along! So this, this right here is a date. Don't you give me that look, Doctor it's a date and you're going on it. The two of you are to stay here until you've apologized to one another and got on with the snogging! Rory and I won't let you out until that happens, right Rory?" Amy asks her husband and he nods his agreement before the two of them leave the Doctor and me alone in the theater together. I hear a key turn in the lock and know that Amy has made good on her word.

It takes me a moment to realize that the Doctor is no longer dressed in his statement outfit, but instead looks rather fetching in a tuxedo with tails, complete with top hat and bow tie.

"Can't you just sonic the door open?" I ask him and he shakes his head no.

"Rory the Roman took the sonic when I wasn't looking."

I threw my arms in the air and sighed, feeling defeated. I trudged past the Doctor and took a seat at the edge of the stage in the theater, feet dangling off the side. The Doctor reluctantly joined me and together we sat in an awkward silence.

"So uh Kayden," he coughed nervously clearing his throat, "what exactly are we supposed to do now?"
Sign up to rate and review this story