Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Death's Child

Chapter 6 : The Duke's Pathway

by PuckSilverbreeze 14 reviews

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2013-09-01 - 4688 words

5Original
Chapter 6 : The Duke's Pathway
Did you just try to strike me. Only my Lord may strike me. Be glad you did not draw blood
- Astra Hecate Malfoy, Sorceress in Training

#

Narcissa froze when a soft voice whispered, "Hello mother, dear." Slowly the blonde daughter of the House Black, turned to find her albino daughter standing against the back wall of the room.

Astra wore a black dress with a silver cloak over it. Astra looked well fed and happy to her mother's eyes. The next thing Narcissa saw was her husband's snake head can being held by her daughter with both hands in front of herself. Only after processing this did Narcissa notice her little Star's jewelry.

Narcissa stood and walked over to her daughter. She gently reached out tracing the grim laying on the bed of bones crest on Astra's left wrist. Narcissa bowed her head and whispered, "Always Pure." Suddenly she grabbed her daughter's wrist and turned it. With a gasp she looks up from the mythril wrist band into her daughter's purple eyes. "The Myrddin, how do you wear the Myrddin.

Astra giggled and lifted her chin drawing her mother's eyes to the silver appearing choker around her neck, "By service to the rightful Lord, just as I wear the Basilik of Sytherin at my throat." She smiled at her mother, "Although that is not the crest I have been wearing all week. I wore the Basilisk now because I believed you would notice my choker before my wrist.

Narcissa stepped back and put her hands on her daughter's shoulders, carefully examing her, "You look happy my little star in the black sky." Cissa kissed Astra on the forehead. "We will have a long talk later but I must know", Narcissa stopped speaking and looked around fearfully, "Astra, how did you get into the manor, the wards did not announce you."

Astra smiled and with soft giggles slid out from under her mother's hands. She grabbed her mother by the hand and firmly pulled Narcissa toward the comfortable chairs of her mother's study. As she sat down, Astra touched the crest at her throat, causing the crest to reform as the Eye of Horus. "Much better", the young albino remarked to Narcissa as she sat down crossing her legs at the ankles, she then looked at her father's cane, not sure what to do with it. Suddenly with a secretive smirk Astra called out, "Dobby!".

The yound Malfoy elf appeared bouncing on his toes, White Mistress called Dobby?"

Astra smiled at the odd elf, he used to annoy her but a week with Harry and Jhaelvyll made her view of all magical beings change. She handed her father's walking stick to the house elf, "Make sure Father finds this."

Dobby looked uneasy as he held the cane. The Elf could feel his master's wand hidden within, "White Mistress, Dobby can no do", the elf whimpered as he looked up pleadingly at Astra. The poor elf froze stiff as he eyes reached the mark at Astra's throat. The house elf visibly stumbled with a worshipful look in his eyes. Dobby reached for the crest, "Harry Potter". Noticing that he had almost touched Astra, Dobby popped away with a battle cry, "For Harry Potter's White, Dobby Obey!"

Narcissa sat back and crossed her arms. She nodded approvingly as Astra sat back and crossed her legs demurely. Clearing her throat, Narcissa said, "Harry Potter's White, thats what the elf said. It clearly recognized the crest at your throat." Narcissa leaned forward and whispered, "Is there something I need to know daughter?"

Astra giggled, "I find it amusing that you forgot your original question Mother." With a gentle smile and calm tone, the albino girl continued, "Whom did you think was Lord Myrddin?" Seeing the dark look in her mother's eyes, Astra continued, "Let me guess, you like my dear brother and father, believe that Muggleborns are freaks of nature or stealing magic from good pureblood children somehow."

Narcissa shrugged, "That is how I was raised and I can not think of what else they can be."

Astra sighed, "The Muggle born Drago was degrading is in fact the Lady McArthur, I was there for the Vitae Magica Rite." Astra squeezed Narcissa's hands, "You taught me the magic enforced right of succession, how the McArthur line has always been of the Distaff line." Astra took a few seconds to collect her thoughts, "I am starting to believe Muggleborns are lost bloodlines returning to the Wizarding World.

Narcissa sat up, "Don't explain it to your father, please never tell him."

Astra sighed and pulled her hands from her mother's to hold her own head, rubbing her temples, "It was a Malfoy curse then. Some old Malfoy is the reason Dowager Longbottom was the last of her Magical line."

Narcissa grabbed her daughter's shoulders in fear, "How do you know this?" She shook Astra, "You must tell me how!"

Astra put her hands on her Mother's wrists. "Mother, be still, be calm." As her mother stopped shaking her Astra could tell Narcissa was still very confused, but no longer scared out of her mind. Astra softly removed Narcissa's hands off her shoulders and kissed the backs, "Look at my eyes please, Mother."

Narcissa did as her daughter asked. As she watched her daughter's beautifully purple eyes, her mouth fell open, as the Eye of Horus faded into visibility around Astra's left eye.

Softly the true Lady Black whispered to her mother, "To the sight of a mage, what is a Wizard's Magic. To Death's favored are the Lost Arts, a domain to master." Astra smiled at her mother, "Do you understand?" Astra hugged her mom, "We are Blacks, truly are you shocked that Lost Arts call to me?" She leaned closer and whispered into Narcissa's ear, "Those anchent secrets like Mage Sight, are his to teach or hold hidden."

Narcissa hugged Astra tightly, "Are you happy little star, do not do this for the skills alone, the novelty will sour."

Astra sat back and smiled at her mom, "Mother, I am a lucky girl." She took Narcissa's hands hugged them to her chest, "There will be no old perverts. I am bound to a Mage Lord, while we are still both young, barely more then children.

Narcissa smiled and sighed in relief, her daughter was correct. While Lucius may hate it, but there is nothing he can truly do. Neither the Old Laws of the Great Houses nor the younger less traditional laws of the Ministry could take a bound servant or apprentice from a Mage. Narcissa gasped as Astra suddenly rolled out of her chair, just ahead of a curse strike.

#

Astra ended her roll on her feet, her Blood Dagger in hand facing her father. "Hello father, Do you know how a wizard becomes a Goblin Clan Lord?"

Lucius laughed, "That daughter, like the Hallows are lies used in fairy tales. No wizard can beat a entire goblin clan without the use of not only one wand but multiple wands." He aimed his wand at his daughter, "Now be a good girl and hand over all that lovely silver, then recieve your punishment for defying your Lord."

Astra shook her head as she leaned back on the wall behind her, she rested her dagger on the wrist band, clearly showing the Black Crest, if a style used by hit wizards to steady their wands. The young witch whispered yet her words were clearly heard across the room, "Father dear, you face Mage enchanted Mythril, put your wand away, and let us treat as the blood we are.

Narcissa lifted her hand and rested it on Lucius's arm, "Husband are you sure it is wise to face Mage Living Silver?" She turned her head toward her daughter, "You may need need to leave Little Star."

Lucius smirked and spoke in a mocking tone, "How will the girl be leaving, Wife? The Wards are in lockdown. Nothing other then a house elf can leave without taking then down."

Astra did not fear, she trusted Harry and Deedee, reaching out with her magic as they taught her the girl spoke softly to her parents, "These are not Potter Wards, let alone Wards set by a Mage."

Lucius laughed mockingly, "Legends and Potters, the Dark Lord himself rebuilt these wards. Even Old Potter would need hours to break them."

Astra suddenly smirked, as the Eye of Horus appeared to fade into visibility around her eye, "Farewell Father, may you find peace." Astra entoned her words, vibrating them very deliberate fashion, "Hear my call, Magic of this place. I am Astra the Little Star of the Mage Lord. I am Astra the Eternally Faithful. For me let the Door be opened to the Clan of Elghinnz'hins."

There was a scream and Lucius fell to the floor unconscious as the manor's wards, exspecially the dark viscous ones built by the Dark Lord faced a power beyond the limit of their existence, feedback back into Lucius's energy system.

#

A dark oak door appeared in the wall beside Astra, the door swung outward forcefully with more then enough force to stagger anyone blocking the door. A halberd blade appeared, soon followed by an armored female goblin. "Hey Albino girl, whatcha summoning a door for?", was said in a playful tone to Astra.

Before Astra could answer Jhaelvyll appeared through the door, "Wow, look at that, young Master Bad Faith fainted." There was the sound of many female voices laughing floating through the magic door.

Jhaelvyll looked around and blinked then frowned. She walked up to Narcissa and bowed lightly, "Greetings Lady Malfoy, You wouldn't happen to feel like allowing a search of the Manor would you?", the drow did not smile and spoke with a very serious tone.

Narcissa was about to refuse absolutely, then stopped and wondered what the Drow sensed in her house. Never sure exactly what dangerous items her husband may have where the children can find them. She looked at Lucius on the floor and then rubbed her forehead, "Who is it that asks Drow?"

Jhaelvyll relaxed her stance, "I ask as seneschal of House Potter and Voice to the House Black."

Narcissa started in shock, while House Malfoy can refuse House Potter as even the most Traditional Houses try to forget the power of Potter when the Old Magics are invoked. But to refuse the Black, the very source much the Malfoy wealth and prestige in Britain. No matter what her husband would like to believe, Narcissa would not disobey the Black without a very good reason. With a slight bow of her head, Narcissa asked, "What caused this need?"

Jhaelvyll looked toward Astra, "I trust my mother", was all the albino girl said as she put away her dagger and sat beside her mother, giving Narcissa a hug to try to comfort her mother.

With a nod Jhaelvyll speaks softly, "I can feel the False Lord's soul energy here, while everyone seems to think I am drow, my father was a vampire lord. If you were not a daughter of House Black, I would have the Unspeakables here already, As it is you are a Black." Jhaelvyll paused to let Narcissa think or respond.

Narcissa calmed and suddenly relaxed, "Aunt Dorea, with Sirius in prison, Harry would be the next in line for the Lordship." Not even waiting for an answer, Narcissa goes to Lucius and levitates him, "Do what you must Black Voice, let this issue remain in the family." She then leaves with a angry gait to her stately walk.

Jhaelvyll looked at Astra, the albino shrugged, "I want to stay and watch"

Jhaelvyll smirked and went back through the portal door, she quickly returned with a squad of Death Bird Curse Breakers.

#

Lucius woke with a pounding headache. As he opened his eyes, he found his wife glaring at him. "Headache potion", the platinum blonde man moaned.

Narcissa glared and hissed, "You swore to me, that the family mattered more then anything, even that trice damned Dark Lord."

Lucius rubbed his head, "Cissa, Please I am in so much pain, your words are not making any sense to me at the moment."

Narcissa helped her husband drink the potion the drow had given her, with a glare Narcissa whispered to him, "I will return soon and we will speak husband."

Fifteen minutes later, Cissa returned, she stayed standing beside the bed, "Husband, what is the book, the Dark Lord gave you to safe guard?"

Normally Lucius would have tried to reassert his dominance, but the tone used was known to the man. It was just better to answer a Black when they were like this, "A Blood Grimore".

Narcissa relaxed and smiled, "Husband would you trade that book for a Black Blood Grimore?"

Lucius blinked, "If one could be found and our children are proven able to access it. Yes in a heartbeat, the Dark Lord's book gives us no benefit." He took a breath and glared, "Cissa, what happened?"

Narissa glared, "You faced Mage Power and survived. If I was not a Black, the Manor would be crawling with Aurors and Unspeakables." Narcissa pushed Lucius back into the bed, "By luck our daughter was able to call the Black Voice."

Lucius stopped trying to get up. "The Ministry?", he whispered fearfully.

Narcissa shook her head, "No, it remains a Black Family situation."

Lucius calmed, "What is the price we must pay for this discretion?"

Narcissa gave a sly grin, "Mostly trades of items, not gold." She cupped her husband's face, "Are you up to coming to the negotiation table?"

Lucius cupped his wife's cheek and smiled, "When?"

Narcissa gave a secretive and sexy smile just for Lucius, "About an hour yet, What may we do to enjoy the wait."

#

Narcissa and Lucius entered the Parlor to find their twins seated around the largest table with the Drow, talking softly. On the table sat three boxes, the left box held a book with an older version of the Potter Crest, the central box held a blank black leather book, the last box held a thick hand bound book, baring an ancient, much darker grim version of the black crest and a three medallions marked with the Black Crest.

Jhaelyvell was looking right at the Lord and Lady Malfoy as they entered, "I was right", was all she said to Narcissa.

Narcissa blushed and nodded, "He believed it to be a Blood Grimore."

The death elf nodded then handed the three medallions to the male Malfoys and Narcissa. Unlike his parents Draco quickly put on the medallion. He gasped as suddenly he could see the magical auras around his family. The controlled pulsing of his father, the sun like radiance of his mother, and the oddly dense aura of his sister. As his eye fell on the table, the young wizard jumped out of his chair and backed away, "By Morgana, what is that disguising thing?"

Astra looked at her brother, then at the death elf, "Do i even want to know what he is seeing?" Not waiting for an answer she activated her mage sight, which caused her eye marking to blaze into visibility. A very dark hiss escaped the girl, who then looked at her father, "Put on the medallion and see what evil you brought into our House, Father."

Lucius and Narcissa put on the medallions and looked at the muggle seeming leather journal. Much like their son the two adults scrabbled away from the table.

Everyone just watched the book, they saw a dark imprint of a male face, from the face a seemly endless of black tentacles spread out in all directions seeking something, like a can of live night crawlers.

Narcissa found the sight of the inky dark magic reaching out toward magical energy sources, highly disturbing so looked over to her children, enjoying the beautiful sea blue of Draco's aura and the dense jade of Astra's energy, even as she watched her children. The Lady Malfoy spoke to Jhaelvyll, who was proved now without doubt to be the Black Voice, "My dear Black Voice, How old are these medallions?"

Jhaelvyll gave a sly grin, "Grandfathered, as they existed before the Ministry and bear the arms of House Black."

Lucius finally got over his shock enough to whisper, "It's alive, what is it? Is it feeding on us?"

Jhaelvyll nodded as her face fell into a dark frown, "Yes, the other two are Blood Grimores. While this mundane style of store bought journal, is truly evil. It holds a portion of Thomas Marvolo Riddle's soul, and will try to possess anyone who is stupid enough to try to use it." She paused and then sat back, "Let us try to reach an agreement between our Houses."

Lucius sighed, "Let me hear your offer, Drow." The Lord Malfoy just kept staring at the oozing black tar like tentacles that reached out from the mudblood book.

Jhaelyvll put her hands flat on the table, "We have four issues to agree on." She put on a dragon hide glove and lifted Voldemort's diary, everyone watched as the tentacles tried to reach her hand, "First and most importantly this disgustingly evil piece of dark soul magic." The death elf dropped the book back into the box. After watching the dark tenticle flowing between the book and her glove, Jhaelvyll peeled the dragon hide off, tossing into the box with a look of disgust.

Jhaelvyll, then rested her bare dark hand on the book with the Potter crest, and everyone watched as the energy of the book woke and recognizing the death elf's bond to the Lord Potter, caressed the hand touching it, our second issue, The Potter book, your father's ill gained trophy." With a smile the death elf lifted her hand from the book and placed the same bare hand on the Black Blood Grimore, "The Blood Grimore." Finally Jhaelvyll rested her hand on Astra's shoulder, "Our final issue will be the daughter of House Malfoy."

Lucius frowned but then nodded, "I agree, it is best to move in that order, what exactly is the offer for the mudblood book?"

Jhaelvyll looked at the twins, "Could you both lift the Black Grimore out of the box, Please?" With a matching pair of shrugs Astra and Draco lifted the Black book. With matching smiles, the twins watched and felt the magic of the grimore welcome them, "It likes me.", was giggled by both children in a twins speak stereo.

The death elf grinned to the adults, "A clean swap, an ancient Blood Grimore of the Black, for the disgusting diary."

Lucius nodded, this was a very easy and profitable transaction for him. "We are agreed."

Jhaelvyll pulled out a scroll and wrote out, "Dark Journal" in one blank spot, then "Black Grimore" in the other blank. The death elf then signed her name at the bottom and handed the scroll to Lucius.

Lucius read over the scroll finding it to be a rather normal trade agreement he signed his name and smiled, when the Malfoy crest and Lord Malfoy appeared beside it by magic. The blonde tried to hand the scroll back, but Jhaelvyll nodded her head toward Narcissa.

Narcissa arched her eyebrow but read and then signed the scroll. Beside Narcissa's signature appeared Lady Malfoy of Black with the correct crests. A look of understanding crossed Narcissa's face, as two copies appeared, "I see, it is now a heirloom for my children and is not subject to current laws."

Jhaelvyll nodded and intoned, "To you Lord Malfoy and to your wife and children out of her, by right of blood and honor between houses. A clean swap, one book of unknown lineage, bound in black leather, for a Black Family Grimore of unknown authorship. So it is agreed." The death elf took her copy of the scroll and put it away. Then finally put the third in a dragon hide portfolio. She fought the order to laugh and Narcissa sat down between the twins on the sofa and began going through the grimore with them, like a child in Honeydukes. She looked at Lucius and stayed silent, allowing the normal stern man time to enjoy the vision of his family.

Lucius finally took a deep breath and narrowed his eyes at the elf, "What of the rest of the items in that room?"

Jhaelvyll understood the question, even if it wasn't the most polite way of asking, "All we found were grandfathered items of historical value, left behind for the education of future Malfoys." Was all the death elf said.

Lucius smiled and nodded, "Our next item of contention is the Potter Grimore, what is your offer?"

Jhaelvyll smiled, holding up a scroll, "The offer is to swap the Potter book for the three medallions."

Before Lucius can counter Narcissa is up and snatching the scroll, after reading it quickly the Lady Malfoy signed her name and nodded when her title and crests appeared. She slapped the scroll down in front of Lucius, "Sign, the medallions are worth more then a silly book we can not read."

Lucius glared at his wife, but signed quickly, knowing she spoke truth. "We will speak later wife." He placed the original on top of other scroll as Jhaelvyll took the copies again.

Jhaelvyll placed the Potter Grimore into her personal satchel. Then resting her hands on the table, sighed, "Finally the hardest issue. My Master through his connections was quickly able to find the amount that was set aside for Astra as a dowry.

Narcissa sat down next to her husband, both Malfoys noticed that the elf was being very polite in not mentioning numbers, Lucius nodded, "Continue."

Jhaelvyll looked over at Astra, "I estimate her to be a healthy thirty five to forty kilograms, the Master would like to pay forty kilograms of Goblin Platinum for his apprentice."

Lucius and Narcissa whispered together, finally Lucius nodded and sat back, allowing Narcissa to do the talking. Narcissa stared and asked, "What's the catch?"

Jhaelvyll relaxed, "My Master would like House Malfoy to put away their fixation on anti-muggle and muggleborn policies. He plans to work out a part time fostering program between muggleborn students and pure blood families."

Lucius hissed, keeping his voice down as forty kilograms of goblin platinum would be the largest profit a Lord Malfoy has ever added to the house at one time, ever, "He expects us to foster a mudblood?" Narcissa put her hand on her husband's to try and calm him.

Astra looked up from the Black Grimore, she stood and walked over to the table, "Of course not, why would Master expect that?"

Before Lucius could respond, Narcissa cut in, "Please explain daughter." Lucius kept silent and nodded to his daughter, hoping there was a more palatable option, it was his daughter's weight in platinum and highly honorable and prestigious bride price, he could deal with much, after that price was paid.

Astra stood up straight and folded her arms behind her back, "While some families will be asked if they would be willing to foster muggleborns part time and teach them the culture. That is not for House Malfoy." The young albino paused to breath and collect her thoughts, "Master would like House Malfoy to sponsor a tour of the Ministry for each year of Hogwarts. A day tour per year, for all the students."

Lucius folded his hands under his nose and thought. Then he nodded, "All students together, yes, I believe I can support this." He looked at Astra, "I have noticed that you are collared daughter, are you happy? Not that I personally care but your mother will be very unhappy with me if I did not ask."

Astra bowed her head, "I know you love me Father, but don't understand how to show it to a daughter. Yes, I want this."

Narcissa looked at Lucius, the blonde lord sighed and looked at the elf, "We are in agreement."

Jhaelvyll stood up, "I would like permission for my Master and a squad of goblins to come here." Before Lucius can speak she raises her hand, "The squad is only needed to carry the vat to destory the dark book. We believe that you wish to witness the destruction, to put at ease fears of blackmail."

Lucius crossed his arms and sat back, "If they bring my platinum, I won't actively keep them out."

Astra and Draco looked at eachother and rolled their eyes, as their mother with a sigh shook her hair out, trying to make it less clear that she is shaking her head at her husband.

The death elf looked at Astra, "Should we ask him to come the normal way, or the fancy way?" The albino smirked and closed her eyes, softly she vibrated a word, every magical in the manor felt the pulse of power, though none could understand the word. The Malfoy house elves appeared in the shadows of the room to watch.

A soft teen female voice sang out as a glowing Eye of Horus, appeared at the height of five feet from the floor before Astra.

#

He walks the Dusty Plains
Between Time and Space
Death's Favored
Death's Child
The Hero of the Race

Called by His Own
One Loyal to Death
Called by the Pale Witch
Called by the Dead Elf

He walks the Dusty Plains
Between Time and Space
Death's Favored
Death's Child
The Hero of the Race

#

The all seeing eye glowed brightly making all but Jhaelyvll turn away, suddenly the magical beings in the room felt a pulse. When they all turned back a young teen with messy black hair and the eye of Horus around his eye was standing there. Astra and Jhaelvyll knelt at his feet their arms crossed behind their backs. The boy reached behind himself and opened a door that just appeared out of thin air.

Out of the magical door stepped a squad of female goblins came, carrying a stone vat. Moonlight led them forward, in her hands clearly visible as a goblin ledger grimore. She stood at Harry's side and spoke softly in english, "Where is the book that must be killed?"

Jhaelvyll stood smoothly and put on a pair of long dragon hide gloves. With both hands she lifted the diary of Thomas Marvolo Riddle and dropped it into the vat, she then pealed off the dragon hide gloves from the back and dropped them in the vat as well.

Suddenly Harry was standing in front of Astra as a loud scream came from the vat. Everyone watched as a smoke like wraith tried to raise out of the vat only to fall apart and sink back into the vat.

Astra spoke softly but was heard by all, "Not even a soul is immune to the venom of of the King of Serpents."

Harry dropped his hand to Astra's hair, as stared at Lucius. "Midnight, give the man his platinum.", was spoken in the tongue of the Horde.

The adults were knocked out of the shock caused by the scream. It was not everyday you hear a human clearly speak an language that is so different from the languages of Europe. They fell back into their seats feeling weak when the female goblin with the ledger turned and spoke with a goblin behind her. They could only watch as a younger female placed a goblin scale on their table and bar by bar forty kilograms of goblin platinum was weighed and left on their heavy oak table.

Harry rose Astra to her feet, kissed her forehead, "Visit with your mom, I will see you at the Train, no worries." He then turned and with a bow to Narcissa lead the complete group of none Malfoys through the bank portal, allowing it to close behind him.

#

AN: See if you have an idea to answer the question on my blog. The link is in my profile goo.gl/M4lnIk
Sign up to rate and review this story