Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Final Battle

Back to Privet Drive

by DobbyElf 1 review

Harry returns to the Dursleys for the final time. A new Dursley enters the scene.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure - Characters: Harry, Luna, Ron, Vernon Dursley - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2006-08-05 - Updated: 2006-08-06 - 2675 words

0Unrated
Chapter 2 - Back to Privet Drive

June 1, 1997

Harry sat alone in the car as the Hogwarts Express pulled out of the Hogsmeade Station bound for London. This was the eleventh time Harry had ridden the Express, this was the loneliest, and most miserable he could remember ever feeling. Harry considered Hogwarts to be home, but how could it be home with Dumbledore gone?

A stray thought wandered through Harry's mind as he realized this should have been his twelfth trip. Two trips per year. However, he and Ron had never actually made the train for the start of their second year. Harry smiled briefly as the memories of that trip in the flying Ford Anglia came back to him. Although the whole flight to school and their arrival had seemed a nightmare at the time, over four years later Harry could only smile at the memory of the two Second-year boys' adventure.

The sliding door to the compartment suddenly opened to admit Neville Longbottom and Luna Lovegood.

"Hey Harry. Can we join you?" asked Neville.

Luna did not wait for an answer. She floated into the compartment with her normal, distracted expression. Dropping onto the seat across from Harry, she looked around and noted, "This is much better. The Humbites in the other compartment were much thicker!"

With Harry's nod of accent, Neville walked in and sat across from Harry next to Luna. "I expected Ron, Ginny and Hermione to be in here with you already."

"Ron and Hermione are with the rest of the prefects meeting with the Aurors guarding the train. They should be along in a bit." Harry replied. The he shrugged, "I haven't seen Ginny since Professor Dumbledore's funeral."

Luna looked quickly at Harry without a sign of her usual "Luna-ness". "Why Harry? Did something happen?"

Harry's gaze moved towards the window without really looking. Harry thought for a moment and answered, "Voldemort is out to get me and anyone close to me will also be a target. Being close to me makes Ginny a target for the Death Eaters. I owe her and the Weasley's too much to allow that to happen."

"But Harry," Neville protested, "All of the Gryffindors and definitely the DA are already targets!"

"I know, but I can make sure Voldemort doesn't have a special reason to target Ginny," came Harry's quiet reply.

"Harry, you prat! And people think I am clueless!" Luna yelled.

Before Harry could respond, the door opened to admit Ron and Hermione. Hermione sat immediately next to Harry while Ron slid the door closed. Ron then sat down next to Hermione.

"Mate, I understand what you did and why. I just wish that you didn't do it." Ron said while looking down at the floor. "Ginny was allowed to go straight home with my parents."

"Forget about that right now!" Hermione yelled. Turning towards the door and pulling her wand, Hermione said, "Silencio!"

Putting her wand away, Hermione turned to Harry. "Have you made up your mind on what your plans are for the summer?"

Harry glanced at Neville and Luna, who was still pretending to look out the window, and then back at Hermione and Ron. "I have to go to the Dursley's until my birthday. Then I will go to the Burrow for Bill and Fleur's wedding on Saturday. After that I will complete the mission that Professor Dumbledore and I started."

"What was that Harry?" asked Neville.

"I can't tell you Neville. I trust you but I can't risk Voldemort finding out what I am doing."

"I know I can't do much, but if you need any help just let me know. You don't need to ask. I will be visiting Luna for part of the summer so I won't be far from Ron's house." Neville hesitantly offered.

"Neville, do not sell yourself short. When we fought the Death Eaters in the Department of Mysteries last year, you were the only one but me left on their feet at the end of the fight. Even with a broken nose and a broken wand, you never gave up. You have done well in the DA sessions." Harry responded, "Thank you for your offer. If I need help I will let you know."

Neville turned a little pink at Harry's praise, then turned very red when Ron shouted out, "Hold on, WHY are you going to be at Luna's house?"

Luna reached over to hold Neville's hand and looked at Ron. "Just because Neville is braver then you are doesn't give you permission to give him a hard time."

As Ron turned redder then Neville, Harry leaned back and closed his eyes. Listening to his friends bicker did detour his brooding on the future and was mildly amusing. Harry felt that he needed to store up some of that amusement. He knew it would be in short supply at the Dursleys.

Listening to his friends, the exhaustion of the past two weeks came calling as Harry passed into a deep sleep.


The Hogwarts Express pulled into Platform 9 ¾ exactly on time. Most of the students rushed off the train, eager to see their parents and try to forget the disturbing events of the last two weeks.

Harry gathered his things and pulled his trunk along behind him. Following behind Ron and Hermione, Harry saw Mr. and Mrs. Weasley approaching the train in their usual odd assortment of Muggle clothing. Harry felt his stomach roll as he noticed Ginny was not with them. 'I can't think about her as my girlfriend,' Harry told himself. 'She is just Ron's sister."

Mrs. Weasley enwrapped Ron in a great hug.

"Mum! You just saw me yesterday!" Ron protested within the hug.

"I know but I am just so relieved to see you again." His mother replied. Turning to Harry and Hermione, she gave them the same treatment.

While hugging Harry, Mrs. Weasley whispered into his ear, "I appreciate what you are trying to do for Ginny but I think we will need to talk when you come to visit us." With that she said, she held Harry out at arms length but did not let go. Instead, she just gave Harry a sad smile and nodded her head. "I've told you before that it was a lucky day for the family when Ron sat in your compartment your first year."

Leaving a surprised Harry, Mrs. Weasley gathered them all up with her eyes. "Okay, let's get all of your stuff loaded up! Hermione dear, your parents are waiting outside at the cars. We wouldn't want a Muggle policeman to ticket the car. They were already looking at us funny because Mr. Weasley was trying to take the parking meter apart!"

Mr. Weasley gave the group a sheepish grin and admitted, "It is amazing how Muggles get the device to count down the time without magic. Harry, can I talk to you a minute?"

"Sure Mr. Weasley."

Harry and Mr. Weasley walked a little bit down the platform so they were out of earshot of everyone. Mr. Weasley looked around and then handed Harry a small scroll from inside his mismatched Muggle clothes.

"Harry, I want to say how proud I am of you and all that you have accomplished. I know your parents and Sirius would be very proud of you also."

Harry felt his emotions filling up with this expression of approval from one of the wizards he most admired. Mr. Weasley was not the wisest or most powerful wizard around, but he stood up for his beliefs and welcomed things that were different into his life. He and Mrs. Weasley had accepted Harry immediately and accepted him like one of their own boys. After some many years with the Dursleys being included into a family meant a lot to the orphaned boy.

"Thank you Mr. Weasley. That means a lot to me."

Mr. Weasley smiled, "Harry, the Ministry is concerned for your safety. And, I think, finally made a correct decision. You are underage for two more months. This scroll is permission from the Ministry waiving the age restriction. Don't abuse this and you should still take your Apparation test, but this should keep you out of trouble for protecting yourself."

Harry looked at the scroll and then back at Mr. Weasley. "Wow, I feel relieved that I won't have to go back to the Wizengamot again this year." Harry laughed.

Mr. Weasley laughed also and patted Harry on the shoulder. "I wouldn't want to go back there again either. Come, let's join the others."

The whole group trouped out into the Muggle area of King's Crossing. Mr. and Mrs. Granger came to greet them and were followed by a site that Harry certainly didn't greet. Mr. Dursley followed them with a dark scowl upon his face. Being seen in public with Harry and his "ilk" infuriated Vernon Dursley. Harry really did not look forward to the trip home.

Then Harry noted a stranger following behind Uncle Vernon. He was barely 1.5 meters tall but almost that wide also. None of it seemed to be fat but pure muscle. He looked like a moving fireplug. Looking at his face, Harry noticed he looked a bit like Uncle Vernon, but mixed with a bit of troll. He even appeared to have a scowl permanently mounted on his face like Uncle Vernon.

Before Hermione's parents could do more then say hello to their daughter, Uncle Vernon shoved his way in and demanded, "Come now boy unless you want to walk to Privet Drive!"

Mr. Weasley's face clouded up at this rudeness. "You will treat Harry with respect. He has had a very difficult time and does not need you making things more difficult!"

"I don't care what kind of time that freak has had. Making me come all this way to pick him up early shows the ungrateful whelp he is!" Mr. Dursley bellowed in response.

Before Mr. Weasley could overcome his shock to reply, the ugly troll man quietly moved into the group, "I hate to break up the party but we are attracting a lot of attention here. We should end this or take it somewhere else." An odd smile crossed the ugly face. "I am used to being stared at but this is making me uncomfortable."

Harry stared at the man in amazement. He had an American accent and seemed to be in his early thirties. Harry had never seen anyone else cut off Uncle Vernon without earning a serious tongue-lashing.

The ugly man stuck out a shovel-sized hand to Harry and said, "Hi, I am Mike Dursley. I am the black sheep American cousin."

Harry shook his hand in surprise that someone with the last name of Dursley was being polite to him. Harry's amazement grew even more when Mike proceeded to introduce himself to all of the Weasleys and Grangers.

Finishing with the introductions, Mike turned back to Harry, "Is that your gear? I'll put it into Vernon's car while you say your good-byes." Mike then picked up the stuffed truck as if it was empty and walk out of the station.

With the exception of Hagrid, Harry had never seen another person that strong. Harry turned and saw duplicates of his surprise mirrored on all of the Weasleys and Grangers.

Mr. Weasley cleared his throat and said, "Mr. Dursley, we will be picking up Harry before his birthday to take him to our house for my son's wedding."

"Yes and then he will never be coming back! That Dumble character told us last summer that you freaks consider seventeen 'of age'. So he won't be coming back to my house, ever!"

Harry's face went black with anger. "You will never see me again after I leave in July. Why would I ever want to see you again?" he shouted.

"Well boy, there is something we do agree on then! Now get in the car!" With that parting shot, Uncle Vernon turned on his heel and stalked out of the station.

Hermione looked at Harry, "If you need anything let us know immediately. I really don't like the idea of you being alone with that man."

Harry gave them a game smile. "I survived for eleven years in that house without knowing who or what I was. Then five more summers. After all that, two more months should not be bad."

"Just watch out for that cousin. I mean, bloody hell, did you see him lift your trunk!" Ron exclaimed.

Ron then had to duck quickly as Mrs. Weasley reached up and smacked him in the back of the head. "You may be taller then me now, Ronald Bilius Weasley, but I refuse to hear that kind of language!"

Harry looked out in the direction that Vernon Dursley had gone. "Well, I better get going or he really will leave me."

The Weasleys and the Grangers all said their good byes to Harry and then watched him leave the station. The magical people in the group all understood the weight that Harry carried on his shoulders. Hermione's parents did not understand all that was happening but they did see a boy that their daughter spoke very highly of who was in a nasty situation.

Once Harry was out of site, Mrs. Weasley turned to Mrs. Granger and handed her an envelope. "My son Bill is getting married on July 26th. We would really like to have your entire family join us for the event."

Mrs. Granger smiled and replied, "We would be glad to attend. I would love to get to know some of the other people that I have heard about from Hermione."

Then with final goodbyes made, the two groups separated to make their way to their cars. As Hermione reached the family car, she looked over to where Ron was waiting to climb into a Ministry car.

"Just a minute Mum," Hermione said as she ran over to Ron.

"Ron, you don't think Harry will do anything crazy do you? Like go off after V-Voldemort without us."

"I am sure he will be fine, Hermione." Ron then surprised himself by wrapping his arms around Hermione to give her a final hug. Ron enjoyed the feeling of holding Hermione in his arms until he realized what he had done. Letting her go, Ron started to turn red again.

As Ron moved to step away, Hermione grabbed him and kissed him on the cheek. She whispered, "Thanks Ron" into his ear and then turned back towards her parents.

Ron could only stare in stunned disbelief until his father called him to get into the car.


Harry sat quietly in the back seat of Uncle Vernon's car during the drive to Little Whinging. It was easy to go unnoticed as Uncle Vernon held forth on everything the politicians were doing wrong. Of course, Uncle Vernon knew exactly what they should be doing to fix it. In Harry's opinion Uncle Vernon's ideas would led to collapse of Western Civilization.

During a pause in Uncle Vernon's diatribe, Mike turned to Harry and said, "You have been quiet back there. I hope you don't mind but I have been using your room for the last week. I will be out tomorrow but we will be bunking together tonight."

Harry looked at him suspiciously, "You are leaving soon to go back to America?"

Mike shrugged, "Yes and no. I have recently gotten an apartment, excuse me, a flat as you say, and I will be moving in tomorrow. Actually most of my stuff has already been moved but I can officially move in tomorrow."

"Michael just left the United States Army. He won't put up with any of your hooligan ways, boy." Uncle Vernon spat back at Harry.

The odd American glanced at his cousin and turned back to face the front of the car. Harry gratefully slunk down into the seat to wait out the last of the trip.

Not long after Harry looked out the window to see Privet Drive coming up. He was back.
Sign up to rate and review this story