Categories > Original > Drama > The Name of Love

Family Matters

by syncretic_routine 1 review

Giovanni catches up with Dimitri. They proceed to have a discussion about the delivered package.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2006-08-06 - Updated: 2006-08-06 - 779 words

0Unrated
Dimitri's vision was a hazy red as he stormed through the city streets. He was walking with no real destination. He needed to calm down, but he couldn't. There was nothing about this situation that warranted him being calm and collected. He was irate.

How dare he.

The thought echoed through his mind. Ever since they'd been small, his brother had been conniving, always wanting more than he already had. It was in his nature to be so, but he crossed the line at this. There were some things Dimitri would not tolerate. The rage was a family curse. Dimitri was one of the lucky few who did not blow his top all that often, but when he did, it was impressive.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and whipped around, nearly blackening Giovanni's eye as his fist came up and around. The gaunt elder brother was faster though, and caught the fist with his own hand, stopping it in mid-motion. "My, aren't you an livid little bird today?"

"I don't have time for this," Dimitri hissed, all traces of Russian accent now gone. It was difficult to place his new accent, which consisted of hints of everything from all around the globe. A voice that had used too many languages.

His brother leaned in, breathing against Dimitri's skin. "You have time," he whispered into Dimitri's ear. "You will listen." There was a pause as he stood back, one black eyebrow cocked. "Giovanni?"

Dimitri blinked and then as the meaning of the question came to him, he shrugged. "It was a name," he said. "You looked like a Giovanni. Hope you don't mind."

"No, not at all. I rather like it. You always did have good taste. I haven't been using an alias lately. Giovanni will suffice."

"It's better than your given name," Dimitri muttered and started walking again.

Giovanni ran to catch up with him once more and when he next spoke, it was in French. "You shouldn't be going. It's a trap," he said.

"Obviously," Dimitri replied in German. "But what else would you expect me to do? Stand idle while he destroys my brother?"

The switch was made to Latin. "Absolutely not." Giovanni started swinging his cane idly as he walked. "But you're forgetting that the firefly is our brother as well."

"In name only," Dimitri said, keeping to the Latin theme. It was a dead language. No one spoke it anymore. Therefore, it was safe. "He wasn't made for /you/."

"Oh get over it. Mother would never forgive me if I let you wander in there alone. You know how she feels about /him/. I doubt she'd forgive me if I let you wander in there at all."

"Mother stopped being a concern of mine ages ago."

"Mine as well, but you know how she nags." Giovanni stopped, putting a hand on Dimitri's arm to halt him as well. "Let us take care of it."

Dimitri shook his head. "This isn't your business."

"I've made it our business," Giovanni said. "What you think of us is not my concern. I know where he is now. Let us go. I promise I will keep you informed at every step, but I'm not sending you into the place we should be."

Dimitri's eyes narrowed as he stared at his brother, studying him, trying to find a motive beyond what was already presented, but he wasn't good at this game. Not when it came to his older brothers. Especially not this one.

"I should go," he said finally.

"Should and can are two different things. You can't go, because you know that's what he wants. He's waiting for you to walk right to him and you won't be able help the firefly." Giovanni pursed his pale lips. "He won't expect /us/."

"You're looking for an excuse to stretch your legs," Dimitri muttered.

"I can't say I won't enjoy the opportunity."

"Fine. You have three days," Dimitri said. "If you do not contact me then, I will come to Boston myself."

"You will receive my message three days from now. Don't bother packing." Giovanni nodded, tipped his hat respectfully and, swinging his cane in front of him, walked off down the street whistling merrily. Dimitri watched him go, scowling at his back. While he did not distrust Giovanni's word, he did not believe his brother was doing this out of the goodness of his heart. Giovanni had no goodness in his heart. There would be a price for this, and it would be high, but if Giovanni accomplished what he was setting out to do, then Dimitri would pay it.

The next three days would last an eternity.
Sign up to rate and review this story