Categories > Original > Romance > Kiss Me

Just Talking

by sickly_ill 1 review

Chapter 20 - Just Talking

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2013-10-17 - 4577 words

1Ambiance
It’s Friday. I’m walking back from the shop. Fabi and Lauren by my sides. We chat while we walk to class. Then I see them. Hayden and Bailey. Ugh! He knows I hate her, yet he still talks to her! I stop in my tracks and frown at the sight of them laughing and her touching his arm. That bitch! Lauren and Fabi look their way as well. “We’ll see you later.” They say and walk off. I sigh and go up to Hayden. I smile at him.

“Hey, baby.” He leans down and kisses me sweetly. Which gives me some reassurance. I eye Bailey.

“Hey.” I kiss him back. I look over at her burgundy hair and nose stud. “Bailey.” I regard her coolly.

“Sky.” She fakes a smile at me. “I’ll talk to you later, Hayden.” Bailey makes sure to touch his arm while she smiles at him and struts away. I glare until she’s no longer in my line of vision. I turn to Hayden.

“Why are you hanging out with her?” I look up at him.

“Babe, we were just talking.” Hayden shrugs.

“You know I’m not a hateful person, but I hate her.” I spit. “She’s a two-faced bitch! I don’t want you talking to her.” I start to walk to class.

“Sky, you’re being over dramatic.” Hayden follows me.

“No I’m not! You told me to stay away from Trevor, and I did!” I get angry.

“Fine! I won’t talk to her, okay?” Hayden takes me in his arms.

“Promise?” I ask.

“I promise, promise.” He kisses me. I smile.

“Good.” He walks me to class.

“So, what color is your dress? So I can get a matching tie.” Hayden smiles.

“I don’t know yet. But Lauren, Adelia, Fabi, and I are going shopping after work tonight. I’ll text you the color.” I suggest.

“Or,” Hayden grabs me by the waist and pulls me to him. I blush. “I can go with you.” He pecks my lips.

“No. It’s girl time! Go do guy stuff.” I push him away. He chuckles.

“Fine. I’ll go be a guy and kill some squirrels.”

“No! No killing anything. That’s mean. Go play video games or something.” I say. He just rolls his eyes and walks away. I get into class and go about my day.


At the mall, we all walk around and try and find prom dresses. We look in a boutique, but find nothing. So we head to the other store I know has awesome dresses. Fabi and Lauren find a few and try them on. I’m still looking through the large racks. I can’t pull off a long dress since I’m so short, so I need a short cocktail dress. Kind of like the one I wore to the wedding. Which I have hanging in my closet sitting pretty.

I start to think I won’t find anything when I get to the last dress hanging on the rack. I gasp. A light beige dress with a black satin bow at the waist. Velvet floral patterns at the chest and running down near the bottom. It’s perfect! I grab it and rush to the dressing rooms. I get it on and I find out I’ve gained a little weight because I used to be five, and this dress is six. My boobs even fill out the bust part a little big. Damn, am I growing? I just check myself out in the mirror and decide this dress is mine.

I come out of the dressing room beaming. In my street clothes now. “Did you find one?” Adelia asks.

“Yes.” I grin and hold it up for her to see.

“That’s so cute.” She gushes. “I found one too.” She holds up a long flowing magenta dress. A jeweled waist and one strap.

“Ooo!” I admire it. She’ll look so good in that. Finally, Fabi and Lauren find dresses and we check out. Adelia’s the last to pay, but she doesn’t have enough.

“How much extra do you need?” I ask.

“Thirty.” She gets ready to put it back.

“Whoa! You can’t do that! Here!” I hand her a fifty.

“No, Cielo. That’s your money.” She shakes her head.

“And you’re my best friend.” I smile at her. She grins and pays. Giving me my change.

“I love you!” She kisses my cheek. I giggle and we all walk out with dress covers swung over our shoulders.

We’re walking around trying to find shoes for our dresses when we run into the boys. Austin, Elio, and Hayden. “Hey!” Hayden acts like he didn’t know we were here. I just fold my arms across my chest. “What are you guys doing here?” He asks.

“You know what we’re doing.” I purse my lips at him.

“I tried to stop him. But he’s relentless when it comes to you.” Austin sighs. I just blush.

“Let’s see what we got here.” He grabs my dress.

“No! You can’t!” We start to wrestle for it. “Hayden, if you rip my dress I’m gonna kick your ass.” I finally get it back.

“Fine.” He laughs and hugs me.

“You’re so nosy.” I punch his stomach softly.

“I know.” He kisses the top of my head and puts an arm around me as Lauren shows Austin her dress. Elio and Adelia are chatting and Fabi’s on her phone texting. Suddenly, Adelia squeals. I look at her like she’s gone berserk. She just nods and Elio smiles.

“I have a prom date!” She gushes. We all clap and walk off to get some food.


I’m in AP Literature when I need to pee. I grab the pass and leave. I get into the 300 building and go to the bathroom. I do my business and come out to wash my hands. Just then, Bailey comes up the mirror next to the sink and fixes her appearance. Yeah, like that’ll ever change her shit personality. She then sees me and asks, “You’re Hayden’s girlfriend, right?”

“Yeah.” I say dryly and grab some paper towels. I dry my hands.

“Well, don’t expect to be for much longer.” She applies lip gloss.

“Excuse me?” The nerve of this bitch.

“Face it. Hayden doesn’t need a little girl. He needs a real woman.” She smacks her lips together and I really have to contain the urge to bash her face in the mirror.

“And what makes you a real woman? It sure as hell isn’t your hair and eye contacts.” I call her out. She just smirks because she has no dirt on me.

“Watch your back.” She threatens and brushes passed me, grazing my shoulder. I grab the pass and go back to class fuming!


It’s lunch and I burst into the shop. I see Hayden with Austin near the lathes. I march up to them. “I don’t want you hanging out or talking to Bailey.” I tell him.

“Sky, what the hell is going on?” He looks down at me and Austin watches us.

“Your bitch ass friend came up to me at the bathroom and threatened me. It took everything in me not to kiss her fat ass right on the spot!” I feel my anger bubble.

“Well, what did she say?” He asks. I just glance at Austin. I don’t want to say anything in front of him. He gets the hint and leaves.

“She told me that she’s gonna take you away from me. And to watch my back.” I whisper harshly.

“Is that it?” He asks. I gape at him.

“That’s all it takes, Hayden.” I say.

“Well, I haven’t talked to her anyway.” He shrugs.

“Good.” I sigh.

“Are you okay now?” Hayden smirks at me. I just smile.

“Yes.” I say.

“Good. I can’t have you stressing. You’re happy, I’m happy. And anyway, I’m not going anywhere.” He grins and kisses me softly. I moan a little.

“I love you.” I caress his face.

“I love you too.” He kisses my nose and gets to work. I just go over to Lauren and we chat. About everything, and Bailey.


It’s been two weeks and Hayden’s been a little odd. I don’t know what it is, but he’s been distance. Maybe he just needs space. Which I get. We’ve been hanging out a lot more since it’s nearing the end of the school year and there’s nothing left to do but plan for graduation. And we have. And prom’s next Saturday. We’re all set for that. Even Fabi found a date. Alex. They’d be so cute together.

“Elio, let’s go get some Dutch Bros. I’m PMSing and I need caffeine!” I tell my brother. He just shrugs and gets up off the couch. I grab my purse and we head towards Burton. It’s quite dark out, but I know Dutch Bros. doesn’t close till nine.

We pull into the Chevron parking lot where the coffee house is located. I turn off my high beams and slow down. I see a couple of teens sitting at the tables outside. “Damn, I wouldn’t be out here. It’s fucking cold.” I keep going towards the window and see that one of the kids is Austin. And beside him is Lauren. “Hey, there’s Austin and Lauren.” I wave at them. They smile at me. Then the other kids turn their heads to my car. Hayden and…Bailey!! What the fuck? My smile fades. I grip my steering wheel and take a deep breath.

“Just keep calm.” Elio soothes me.

“I’m calm.” I shrug and park at the window. I order our drinks and try my hardest not to look in rearview mirror.

“Here are your drinks. You two have a good night.” The handsome barista grins at me.

“Thank you.” I tip him two bucks. He winks at me and I turn around to head out. I wave at Austin and Lauren once more and I get a satisfied smile from Bailey. I just clench my jaw and drive off.


“Ugh! She makes me so mad!” I storm into the house. My coffee sloshing out of my cup and burning my hand. “Fuck!” I drop it and Elio grabs my hand. He gets some ice and rubs it on my burn.

“You just need to forget about her. Her goal is to ruin your relationship. And you’re letting her, Cielo.” Elio takes me to the bathroom and rubs some toothpaste on my cooled burn.

“I’m trying not to. It’s just, she is always there! With Hayden! Fucking with him!” I growl and stomp my feet. Just then my phone rings. “Hayden.” I smirk.

“I’m out.” Elio holds up his hands in surrender and leaves me. I get into my room and answer.

“Cielo’s phone.” I say.

“I know you saw me.” He gets right to the point.

“And you saw me. Yet, you did nothing.” I start to undress.

“What was I supposed to do? Run up to your car just to say hi?” He asks.

“Uh, yeah. As my boyfriend, yeah you do. ‘Cause I’m your girlfriend! And I thought you were working late!” I am furious!

“I was. Boss let us out a little early. So Austin and I went to go get some coffee. Lauren met us there. Bailey was already there when we sat down. What was I supposed to do? Tell her to leave?”

“Yes! Because that bitch just wants to fuck with us! With my life. And you’re a part of my life!” I defend.

“So that’s the only reason she hangs out with me? I’m not even worthy of having hot friends?”

“Hot? Bailey is not hot! She’s not even cute! She’s a conniving bitch troll!” I yell.

“You’re just jealous!”

“Jealous? You think I’m jealous of Bailey the skank box?” I gasp. “The only reason I’d ever be jealous of her is when I feel you’re giving her the time you should be giving me.” I sob. And with that I hang up.

Hayden calls and texts all night. But I just turn off my phone and cry into my pillow. I’m slowly losing Hayden and I can’t control it anymore.


It’s Thursday. Hayden and I haven’t talked since our fight. I avoid him at school, not that he ever goes. But on Thursday he does. I see him and Elio talking near the shop. I see them and jog to the pottery room. In there I plug in to Oasis and throw some oddly shaped vases and bowls. Maybe I’m being childish. Maybe I just need to suck it up and be mature. I mean, Hayden said he wasn’t going anywhere. So, I head to the shop. I’m sure he’s in there.

There, I see Hayden and Bailey hanging out in the shop. I’m so mad! I told him to stop but he doesn’t listen to me! Why is it I can’t hang with Trevor yet he can hang out with Bailey? They’re the same fucking person! It’s just that Bailey’s got tits!

It’s lunch and I march to the shop fuming. I swing the door wide open and spot Hayden getting his tools ready to weld. I go straight up to him. “Why are you still fucking with Bailey?” I ask hotly.

“What do you mean?” He puts his tools down, turns to me, and furrow his brows.

“Don’t play dumb, Hayden! I saw you with her this morning!”

“She came up to me!”

“I don’t give a shit! You are not to associate with her!” I tell him. “And that’s final!”

“Sky, it’s not my fault you’re being a jealous bitch.” He snaps and, before my mind registers, my hand flies across his face. I slap him. My breathing labored. My palm stings. But his words sting worse at the moment. How could he ever disrespect me like that? I have done everything for him.

“You promise, promised.” I whisper/sob.

Hayden doesn’t reply. He just grits his teeth and sucks in his cheeks. Facing away from me in the direction that my hand hit his face. I keep my tears at bay.

After a few moments his eyes finally flick to mine. I see no remorse in them. He just looks at me. Hurt, but angry. I say nothing either. After I know he’s not going to apologize, and I sure as hell ain’t either, I walk out and drive home. I need some alone time. No Hayden. No Elio. No Adelia. No parents. Nobody. Just me and my thoughts.


Hayden calls later that day and apologizes for the insult. We end up making up, but things are still a little awkward between us. Like we’re walking on glass around each other. But at least we’re both trying. Well, I know I am. We’re on the porch after a movie date.
“Mmm, what are you doing this weekend?” I smile after our heated kiss on my front porch. My arms around Hayden’s neck. His hands on my hips.

“Well, the guys want me to go fishing with them. Just Saturday and Sunday.” Hayden smirks. He brushes my nose with his.

“A guy’s weekend?” I ponder the thought.

“Can I go?” He kisses me. I giggle.
“Why are you asking? You know I’m not that kind of girlfriend.” I say.

“I know. I just didn’t wanna make plans and you get mad at me.” He smiles.

“When do I ever get mad at you for making plans with your friends?” I furrow my brows. He just looks to the sky for an answer.

“I can’t recall one time.” He shakes his head and brings his eyes to mine. His eyes an icy, cool blue. I smile.

“But, yes, you can go.” I kiss him. “No girls, right?”

“No girls. That’s why it’s called a guys weekend.”

“Good.”


Hayden is back from his bro weekend and I’m meeting him at his house. It’s been torture having limited communication with him since where he went there wasn’t much reception. So, I’m glad to have him back in town.

When I pull up all the guys are gathered near the boat laughing and joking. I come up to them. Austin nods and points Hayden to me. “Hey, baby.” He kisses me hello.

“How was your weekend?” I ask.

“Badass. Austin caught three rainbow trout the size of my forearm. Joey didn’t get anything though.” He smiles. Seems the bro weekend was a success.

“You catch any fish?” I ask.

“More like chicks.” Joey snorts.

“I thought there weren’t any girls going on the guy weekend.” I furrow my brows. Austin frowns and glares at Joey. What are they not telling me? “What’s going on?” I look at Hayden.

“It’s just that Bailey was there.” Hayden avoids eye contact with me.

“Was she invited?” I try to act calm, but on the inside I’m screaming and my blood is boiling.

“No, she just showed up. I think maybe somebody told her.” Austin says.

“Like who?” I look at Hayden. He’s still not looking at me.

“We don’t know. I tried to get her to leave, but she just never left.” Austin shrugs. I just nod.

“And you weren’t gonna tell me this?” I turn to Hayden and cross my arms over my chest.

“Why would I wanna tell you, Sky? I knew you’d get mad. But you heard Austin. He tried to make her leave. She just stayed. What was I supposed to do?”

“Be the asshole to tell her to leave. I mean, if I were on a girls weekend and Trevor showed up I woulda told him to leave.” I say.

“That’s not even the same thing, Sky. Trevor’s a fuckin’ creep!” Hayden’s voice starts to raise.

“And so is Bailey. Just because she’s got a pussy doesn’t mean she can’t be the same as Trevor.” I sigh. “Hayden, I have done everything you’ve asked of me as far as who you don’t want me around and who you do. Why can’t you do that same for me?” My heart sinks. He just turns away from me. I nod. “Well, then. I’ll see you guys around.” I say to Austin and Joey.

“See ya.” Austin waves. I just frown and leave.


Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday consist of me avoiding Hayden. Things are bad again and we don’t talk. I can’t bring myself to talk to him. Or to even look at him. He’s betrayed my trust yet again. I’m still hurt from the time he called me a bitch. But whatever.

Friday after school I’m sitting in my room wondering if I still have a date to prom. Or even if I still have a boyfriend. Just then, the doorbell rings. Someone answers it. “Cielo!” Elio calls. I sigh and head to the door. It’s Hayden.

I roll my eyes. “What do you want?” I fold my arms across my chest.

“Are we still going to prom?” He asks.

“I have no idea.” I say.

“Look, we already have the tickets and limo paid for. Let’s just go and see how things end up after.” He suggests.

“Fine.” I shut the door in his face. Elio just glances at me when I pass by him in the hall. I go to my room and blast some Alt-J. I need to just relax. I lay on my bed and try not to cry. Just then, Elio comes in quietly and climbs into bed with me. He hugs me and I lay with him. He comforts for the little time I’m awake until I just pass out.


Saturday morning, I wake to an empty bed. It’s ten in the morning. I get up and shower. As I’m getting on my undergarments Adelia calls. “Hey.” I mumble.

“Dude! I heard you and Hayden are still going together. What’s up with that?” She gets right to the point.

“He said we already paid for everything so we should just go together and see what happens.” I sigh.

“That’s harsh.” She says softly.

“Yeah, well. At least I’ll have you, Lauren, and Fabi there.”

“Of course. We are so here for you.” She says.

“Thanks.” I half smile.

“So, Elio said all the guys are going to pick up the limo and then pick us girls up one by one.” Adelia tells me.

“Okay. I’m sure I’ll be last since I’m the closest to the freeway.” I say. Prom is in Portland since Vancouver has no good venues.

“Yeah.” She says, and then we hang up. I just put on a tank top and some track shorts. I sit in front of my full length mirror and do my make-up. Simple eye make-up and some lip gloss. Nothing special. Then I do my hair. Waterfall curls. Once I’m satisfied with that I take a break and decide to get some lunch.

I make myself a sandwich and grab some chips and a soda. I watch Modern Marvels until I’m done eating and my phone rings. A text from Lauren. A picture of her hair and makeup. A caption reading What do u think? I just smile. She looks gorgeous.

You look stunning! Austin will go nuts! ;)

I knew it :P


It’s around four in the afternoon and I decide to finally get dressed. I slip on my dress and look at myself in the mirror. I fake a smile. No one will be able to tell with my full-toothed grin. I just frown at myself and put on some black beaded bracelets to match my dress. I then put on a lace chocker and a diamond ring. I look at myself again. I have a hollow look in my eyes. Even all dolled up I look like shit. Maybe I should just stay home tonight. I’m starting to get a bad feeling in my gut. Something’s going to happen. Something bad. I feel it. Just then I hear a knock at my door. I open it. Elio’s in the hall. He takes one look at me and grins.

“You clean up nice.” He says. I look at his tux and magenta tie to match Adelia’s dress. A white spider mum corsage in hand.

“Ain’t too shabby yourself.” I smile.

“Well, I’m off to get the limo with the guys. We’ll be here within the hour. So hurry your ass up.” He’s about to walk away when I grab his arm.

“Elio, I have a bad feeling about tonight.” I admit. He looks down at the carpet.

“Me too.” He says.

“Then why don’t we just stay home tonight? We can get some movies and pig out.” I
suggest.

“And skip the prom?” He asks. “Look, Cielo, I know you and Hayden aren’t really getting along right now, but you can’t skip prom. You’ve been looking forward to this since freshman year! You can’t bail at the last second.” Elio says. “This is your senior year. Live it up, hermanita.” He nudges me. I just crack a small smile.

“Fine.” I sigh.

“Good. Be back.” And with that, he leaves.


It’s five thirty when I hear a honk outside. I look outside and see the long, white, Hummer limo. “They’re here!” I tell my parents. I grab my purse and head out. My parents in tow. Hayden steps out of the limo in his tux with a beige tie. He seems to have found the right color. His hair tamed and his diamond plugs in. He looks very handsome. He looks at me and grins. It seems like I’m the only girl in the world. I blush.

“Okay! We need pictures!” My mom ushers us near the limo. She snaps a few photos. “And the corsage.” She smiles. Hayden takes out a pink orchid corsage. I love orchids! My favorite flower. He remembered. Maybe there is hope for us.

My mom takes pictures of Hayden putting the corsage on me, and of me pinning on his orchid. Hayden watches me and I blush. “Okay. Now Elio and Adelia.” My mom takes pictures of us all lined in front of the limo.

“Okay, Mom! We need to go.” I tell her.

“Okay, then. Be careful!” She tells us as we get in. I nod and in I go. Inside is lit with colorful lights. There’s a phone and a mini bar. And a pole. And of course, Adelia’s the first one on it. We all cheer her on. She laughs and sits back down next to Elio. Then Fabi’s up. She hikes up her dress to wrap her legs around the pole. I laugh and then she’s done. Even Lauren gets on there. Making sexy eyes at Austin. He just watches her with a grin. He’s all pink. She sits down and now it’s my turn. I get on there and everyone cheers me on. I just wiggle my ass and shake my hips. I glance at Hayden and he blushes. I just finish and laugh back to my seat.


We head out to dinner and then to the Wonder Ballroom. Decorations for the Vegas theme hanging everywhere. Poker and Black Jack tables. Slots and bars serving soda, water, and juice in fancy glasses. We just find an empty table and set down our things so no one else takes the table while we’re out dancing. I sit, Lauren next to me. Hayden disappears somewhere as everyone else sits. I just ignore the fact and chat with the girls. The DJ plays some beats and some people are dancing. But not enough people are here yet to get a real party started.

It’s now nine at night. I’m the only one sitting at the table while everyone else dances to “Party in the USA” by Miley Cyrus. I sigh, bored. Hayden hasn’t come back all night. Who knows where he is.

The girls come back from the dance floor laughing. I half smile just to keep them from worrying about me. “Ugh! I need to pee.” Adelia says. So we all get up and go the bathroom.

“So, like, where’s Hayden?” Lauren asks as we all pile into the bathroom. Adelia in a stall doing her business. Thank God we’re the only ones in here.

“Yeah. Where is he?” I hear Adelia ask from in the stall.

“I don’t know.” I shrug and shake my head.
Sign up to rate and review this story