Categories > Anime/Manga > .hack//Sign

Veterans Flag Depot Offers 100% American U.S. Flags And They're's a Difference!

by throne95hill 0 reviews

Category: .hack//Sign - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2013-10-22 - 435 words

0Unrated
The History of The American Flag

The American flag is without doubt the most widely flown flag in the world. In fact, as far is we can tell, it is the most widely flow flag in our known universe: there are American flags both on the Moon and on Mars. There are also flags folded up aboard the spacecrafts Jupiter 1 and 2 who are by now beyond our own solar system.

It has become a simple of freedom, American nationalism and a rejection of secessionism. It is proudly flown by many for various reasons, including by retail stores to draw customers. It is interesting to note that the desecration of an American flag is considered a public outrage, but in a curious example of the freedom it symbolizes it also is an act protected by the Freedom of Speech.

The general design has changed over many years, but there has always been the same underlying coloration that originated in the British Union Jack. In fact, the flag is a variation of the Red Ensign flow by the British Merchant Navy. It was changed and adapted during the first year of the War of Independence to distinguish it from the British and became the Grand Union Flag. A few variations followed, including one supposedly stitched together by Betsy Ross, although that fact is disputed. In 1777 the Continental Congress resolved its design as having 13 stars on a blue background to represent a new constellation.

Used at first as both naval ensign and garrison flag and a territorial marker, it attained its patriotic status after it was flown during Major Robert Anderson's defeat at Fort Sumter. Afterwards the 33-star Fort Sumter flag was carried throughout the union states and became a symbol of the war, the design gathering stars as more and more states joined.

'Old Glory' as we know it with its 50 white stars on a blue background set in the left upper corner of 13 red and white stripes was designed by Robert G. Heft. Heft was 17 at the time and did it as a High School class project. He received a B- minus for it. Nevertheless the flag was put into use in 1960 under Eisenhower after the last new state, Hawaii, had joined the union. Subsequently Heft's B- was changed to an A.

To this day the flag remains one of the most important symbols in human history. No matter what the future brings, it will stand forever as a testament to the achievements of one particular nation, the United States of America.


http://www.veteransflagdepot.com , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ovsZApbDYA , http://veteransflagdepot.com
Sign up to rate and review this story