Categories > Original > Drama > Balthazar's Story

Life is Merely a Duty

by AlexisSCREAM 0 reviews

A duty to be carried out for the people.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Fantasy - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2013-10-31 - 370 words

1Original
As Balthazar swung his new sharper axe, he felt himself breaking. He felt as though someone was clawing his insides out and hanging them around from the ceiling for all, even measly peasants, to see. His new inability to voice anything struck him hard and he fell to his knees as his sparring partner caught him. The shock caused the teenager to hyperventilate and he clumsily removed his faceguard before looking up at his sparring partner, his best friend.

“Balthazar?” Dadeross questioned, removing his own faceguard. The two Minotaurs watched each other for a while before Balthazar found his voice again.

“I’m sorry. I’m a little distracted, but, I’ll be fine and we shall continue,”

Shocked by the unusual amount of formality spurting from Balthazar’s lips towards him, Dadeross frowned and shook his head.

“Rest,” he simply said, collecting the Prince’s axe and faceguard before he left. Balthazar sat on the dirty, dusty ground, sharp tears burning in his eyes, blinding him as he attempted to remove his plated gloves. What a pathetic Prince you’ve become. What a useless piece of junk you are. Nobody wants you. Thor was right, you’re nothing but a worthless faggot and no one would ever want you. Balthazar’s thoughts buzzed around his head like those stupid wasps from Alvar and he was just relieved that Dadeross had taken the axes away with him. His best friend had unknowingly saved the sobbing teen’s life.

Balthazar forced out a slight chuckle when a sudden thought occurred to him. No one else would find this behaviour suspicious. He was the younger son; he was bound to have an attachment to his dying father, so it was natural that he’d be upset, right?

Balthazar couldn’t care less about his father. He felt nothing towards the man who lay in a grand bed, unable to carry out a simple duty. To live.

But, Balthazar himself would surely be stripped of such a duty before long. The dark furred Minotaur sighed.

Feeling a little more secure, Balthazar began to regain his composure. He knew now what he had to do. It was his only choice. And his only chance.
Sign up to rate and review this story