Categories > Books > Harry Potter > A Lost Friend

Chapter 14

by USA_Tiger 0 reviews

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Harry,Hermione,Ron,Sirius - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2014-03-27 - 8334 words

1Ambiance
Disclaimer: Harry Potter belongs to J.K. Rowling, Pokémon to WB and Nintendo, and Ranma 1/2 to Rumiko Takahashi.

A Lost Friend

By: USA Tiger

Author Note: Thanks to Blissfull Wulf who betaed this chapter for me.

Chapter 14

"Harry, are you sure you are alright?" Hermione asked in a mother-hen like tone. She didn't know what turning into what appeared to be some sort of ghost could do to a living person. She wasn't the only one worried, Ryoga and even Shampoo who viewed Harry as sort of her little brother was worried as well.

"I'm fine," Harry assured them. "My heart had stopped beating and everything but I didn't feel /dead/. It just surprised me."

"Blimey," Ron said. "Still, kinda useful ain’t it? Turning into a ghost and everything, not that you looked like any ghost I've seen."

"He looked like a muggle idea of a ghost, from a horror movie," Hermione agreed. "I wonder if you can do things like float through walls." Harry perked up at the idea, an ability like that could be useful if he couldn't teleport for some reason.

"We can try it down here," Harry said, waving his hand around. "See where some of these tunnels go and if there are any more hidden rooms. There has to be other entrances to this place, why just the one in a girl's bathroom?"

"Slytherin could have been some sort of pervert," Ron guessed.

"More than likely it didn't always use to be a bathroom," Hermione guessed. "Back when the school was created, plumbing like we know it didn't exist yet. It could have been a storage room. Still, it is odd that there isn't some sort of back up exit or entrance. The cave itself looks natural if you take away all of the statues and torches, there should be other entrances."

"Let's look then," Harry said. As Harry and his two best friends picked a tunnel to explore, Hermione marking their way so they wouldn't get lost, Ranma grabbed Ryoga's arm to stop him from following them.

~What the hell was that all about?~ Ranma hissed softly in Japanese.

~What was what about?~ Ryoga asked. Shampoo scowled as she joined them and poked Ryoga in the chest.

~Pig boy not lose control like that in long long time,~ she said.

~You were really depressed and angry to make a ShiShi Hokodan that large, it was almost a Shin Shishi Hokodan,~ Ranma added. ~It has something to do with Harry doesn't it, everything seems to now.~ Ryoga sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. (1)

~I realized today that I came very close to losing Harry, the only person I had really considered my friend for years, and I didn't even know it at the time,~ He said as he looked in the direction of the basilisk remains. ~He told me some of the things he had done since starting Hogwarts but seeing the results right in front of me...~

~Man, you got it bad,~ Ranma said with a shake of his head. Ryoga gave Ranma a scowling look.

~What is that suppose to mean?~ the fanged teen asked.

~You’re in love with Harry,~ Ranma said, waving his hand in the direction of the tunnel said teen was exploring. ~This is how you acted a lot around Akane and Akari, only worse. You're like a love sick puppy or something.~

~Pig boy care lot for Harry,~ Shampoo agreed.

~Could you please stop that, I know the language spell is still working,~ Ryoga grumbled to Shampoo, making the purple haired girl blush slightly.

~Fine, the point is you like Harry a lot,~ Shampoo said, speaking normally, startling Ranma. ~And I think he likes you in return.~

~Do you think so?~ Ryoga asked before he could stop himself. He ducked his head down to try and hide the bright blush on his cheeks.

~Look Ryoga,~ Ranma said. ~Just think about it ok? I don't think I've ever seen you as happy as you've been this summer.~ Ryoga just blushed some more and had doubts, what could he offer Harry? He didn't even know if Harry liked boys in that way and he saw a few girls giving his Harry-chan looks. Ranma rolled his eyes, he swore he could almost hear Ryoga's thoughts and the depressed air rolling off the teen in waves. He reached up and slapped the back of Ryoga's head hard.

~What the hell was that for!?~ Ryoga yelled, leaping at Ranma who just laughed and jumped back out of his reach. Sirius looked over at the teens as Ryoga and Ranma started to fight again.

"What was that all about?" He asked Cologne, the two of them having been looking over what was left of the basilisk. While there wasn't much left besides the bones, there was some use in them still and Cologne wanted to use the leftover venom in the potion she was making for the sliver of soul in Harry's scar. It made it easier for her, she didn't have to track down one of her sources for the snake venom now.

"Son-in-law and my great granddaughter confronted the Hibiki boy on his affections for Harry," Cologne said with an amused chuckle. Sirius gave a bark like laugh and grinned.

"Yeah, Prongslet is just like his Dad, Prongs got the same look around Lily," Sirius said. "Harry is just a lot shyer than James was."

"I do not even think he knows how to address his feelings," Cologne observed. Sirius sighed and nodded his head.

"Between all the crap Dumbledore has put him through and nearly getting killed almost every year, I know Harry hasn't had much luck in dating," Sirius ran his hand through his black hair. "He's only gone out with two birds and I don't think he's had a good time with either of them. Told him once to give blokes a try, just sputtered and blushed at the suggestion."

"At this rate, we will both be entertained by Hibiki and Harry," Cologne said, Sirius giving another bark like laugh in agreement.

**

Meanwhile Harry, Ron and Hermione explored the tunnels that surrounded the chamber. So far it seemed they were just going around in circles. If Hermione hadn't been marking their way, Harry was sure they would be very lost right now.

"Well let's try this tunnel," Hermione said as they came back to an intersection in the tunnels they had been in before. The boys nodded and lead the way down the dark tunnel, there wasn't much in the way of lights there. Harry could tell something was different as the tunnel started to incline slightly.

"It's a dead end," Ron said when they reached the end.

"Well something may be on the other side," Hermione said, looking at Harry. Harry nodded and changed into his Mew form then Transformed into his new ghostly Haunter form. Harry took a second to get use to his heart not beating then floated over to the wall. He pushed one of his free floating hands up against the smooth rock and was only mildly surprise when his hand really did go through it.

"Blimey," he heard Ron say behind him.

"Just like a real ghost," Hermione added. Harry agreed with both of them then gathered up his Gryffindor courage to phase his whole body through the wall. It was dark for a few seconds as Harry-Haunter floated through solid rock then he was surrounded with water.

"Haunter..." Harry looked around; he was in the Black Lake by the school. Thinking about it, it wasn't really surprising, he and Ron had already figured they were under the lake when they came to the Chamber of Secrets in second year. It was very weird being underwater and not needing to breath, it would have been nice to have this ability during the second task of the Tri-wizard tournament, it seemed a lot better than using the Gillyweed, at least like this he didn’t have to worry about the effects of the Gillyweed running out. Shaking his head, Harry-Haunter marked where he had come out of then explored a bit, in the distance he could see the Merpeople village and when he looked up he could just see the towers from the castle. "Haunt haunter."

Exploring done, Harry turned and floated back to the tunnel where his friends were waiting worriedly.

"Harry!" Hermione said. "We were getting worried!"

"You're soaking wet mate," Ron said confused. Did ghosts even get wet? Harry looked at the water droplets dripping off him then got a mischievous look on his face. Ron quickly noticed the look, it was the same one that his brothers George and Fred got when they were thinking up a prank. "Harry don-"

Ron was cut off as Harry started shaking his whole body like a dog, sending water flying everywhere. Ron and Hermione yelled as Harry soaked them both.

"Haunter," Harry said, laughing in mirth as his friends glared at him.

"Harry," Hermione growled, sending a light stinging hex at her friend. She was only mildly surprised when the hex passed through Harry. Harry-Haunter laughed again then changed back into human.

"I'm sorry, don't know what came over me," He apologized, a large grin still on his face. He yelped as Hermione sent another stinging hex at him.

"Don't do it again," Hermione scolded. When Harry nodded the scowl left her face, replaced by one the boys recognized when Hermione had something she wanted to know. "So what was it like? You were wet so you must have come out in the lake or something."

"It was the lake," Harry agreed. "Pushing through the wall was a little weird but I didn't feel anything."

"Why would the tunnel go out into the lake?" Ron asked.

"The basilisk had to eat, it couldn't have lived that long or gotten that large by eating small stray animals that got stuck in the walls," Hermione said as she lead them back to the other tunnels. "Snakes can swim, it must have swam in the lake and ate fish or even some of the Merpeople."

"Wouldn't someone have noticed a giant basilisk in the lake?" Ron asked.

"Maybe not, if it wasn't near enough to the surface to be seen," Hermione said as she picked out a tunnel they hadn't explored after marking the one they left as 'Lake'.

"Or it only left sometimes, who knows the last time it was even in the lake. The area where the tunnel ended on the outside looked pretty overgrown," Harry said.

"Voldemort may have told it not to leave the chamber after the first time, for goodness sakes it’s just a name Ron," Hermione said, scolding Ron when he flinched at hearing you-know-who’s name. "To keep anyone from finding out about it after he pinned killing Myrtle on poor Hagrid."

"Let’s just see where the other tunnels lead," Harry suggested.

***

They found at least one other tunnel that lead outside on the far side of the chamber that lead straight into the middle of the Acromantula nest. Harry discovered another form when he changed into a little green spider that was roughly a foot high when he saw one of the giant spiders as it passed over him. The Acromantula glanced at the strange little spider in their midst but didn't bother Harry as it left the area.

Harry quickly changed back into Haunter and floated back to the other side of the tunnel entrance where his friends were waiting. Ron paled and started casting all sorts of spells on the wall to keep the dreaded Acromantula away from him.

By the time they were exploring a third tunnel going up, Ron was back in the main chamber recovering from being so close to those spiders again even if they hadn't known they were there, and Ryoga and Ranma joined Harry and Hermione instead.

This tunnel traveled up further than the rest had, this one Harry was sure lead into the school itself. He was holding Ryoga's hand as he led the older boy, never noticing the flush on Ryoga's cheeks or the slightly dopey grin he had. Ranma and Hermione did notice, Ranma shaking his head in amusement while Hermione eyed both of the other boys with an amused glint in her brown eyes. She caught the blushes and gazes Harry gave Ryoga during classes and in the common room when he thought no one was looking.

'I'll have to talk with Harry,' she thought with a soft giggle. She knew that Ron's sister Ginny was still holding out hope that Harry would notice and fall in love with her; Hermione didn't share Ginny's hopes. Harry, after dating Cho, didn't seem to really notice any girls and while they were somewhat friends now, Harry didn't really seem to notice Ginny in that way and honestly Hermione thought Ginny was still seeing the 'Boy-who-lived' not Harry, at least somewhat. Which was why Hermione suggested to the girl that she date other boys.

Harry meanwhile seemed to give all his attention to Ryoga when the older boy was there, though Hermione wasn't sure if Harry noticed what he was doing himself.

'I really have to talk with him,' Hermione thought to herself again. She wanted Harry to be happy since he had very little to be happy about.

The sharp incline came to a stop several feet later at a stone wall. Harry changed into his Mew and Haunter forms then slowly floated through the wall. As he predicted, he had come out into a hallway in what looked like the dungeons. Not a part he had ever been in but the cold hallways had the same feel. He floated out fully into the hallway, his five foot form taking up at least half of the space.

The area didn't look like it had been visited in a while and when Harry changed back and checked the map, he noticed he was at least one floor down under the hallway that contained the Slytherin dorms and potions classrooms. Harry checked to see if anyone was in the area with him but saw nothing. He did see Malfoy's name in the Slytherin area leaving to a higher point in the school. Harry wanted to track the blond teen but knowing his friends were waiting on him Harry wiped the map clean instead then looked around.

Harry turned to the wall to give it a long look, if the tunnel lead all the way up here then there had to be a clue to where the door was. A frown crossed Harry's face, there was no obvious clue he could see, no little snake like there had been in the second floor girl's restroom.

~Open,~ He hissed after imagining a snake in his mind. At first nothing happened, and then the wall made a rumbling noise and slowly sunk back toward the tunnel on the other side. Once it was far back enough, the section of wall split in two and drew back on either side. Waiting for him with wide eyes were his friends, Hermione looking very excited as she exited the tunnel.

"Where are we?" She asked.

"The dungeons, at least one more level down than the Slytherin dorms," Harry said. "The wall opens here but I can't find anything that would clue someone in to where the entrance is."

"It was over a 1,000 years ago that the chamber and entrances were created," Hermione reasoned. "Any sign could have eroded in that time. Or the only way to find the entrance is to be told where it is."

"No one has been down here in a long time," Ranma said as he kicked up a cloud of dust on the floor. Ryoga sneezed in response and glared in Ranma's direction.

"Must be unused if even the House Elves don't come down here," Harry said as he walked over to one of the doors nearby, it opened easily under his touch with loudly creaking hinges. The room on the other side was a simple storage room filled with old furniture and boxes of old junk. "These aren’t even old class rooms."

"All of this stuff is really old," Hermione said as she opened one of the boxes. It was filled with old text books that hadn't been in use for a long time. The bushy haired girl sniffed in disappointment, the time in the damp dungeons had not been kind to the books, and the words were faded and had some mold. "Any spells on these books wore off a long time ago."

"There may not be anything useful down here," Harry said with a shake of his head. "The entrance may be good for a quick way to sneak into the dungeons but that's all." Hermione sighed and nodded her head.

"I still want to come back sometime and look through the rest of this stuff, but we should head back to the others," The other teens nodded in agreement with Hermione's words and headed back to the tunnel. On the other side Harry hissed for the wall to close which it did with a rumble, plunging the tunnel into darkness.

"Lumos," the tip of Harry's wand lit up, casting shadows around the group, it was a little spooky looking. Leading the way back to the main part of the chamber Harry mused that they hadn't found much other than a few quick escapes. "Do you think Voldemort knew about these tunnels?"

"Maybe, if he went looking," Hermione said. "But we only found two that lead outside and with one under the lake and the other in a spider nest he may not be able to get in."

"That nest wouldn’t have been there when Riddle was last here, Aragog was still a little spider and hadn’t started his colony yet. Still, you think a bunch of Acromantulas are gonna stop him?" Harry asked. Hermione frowned then shook her head.

"No, he and the other death eaters wouldn't have any problem cutting them down," she said. "We should ward off all the entrances then, just in case. I'll head to the library after we leave."

"How did it go?" Sirius asked as the teens came out into the main chamber.

"We found an entrance into the lower dungeons, the area didn't look used at all," Harry said.

"I remember that area, me and your dad found it when we made the map," Sirius said with a nod. "The doorway is behind a tapestry past the potions classroom. Just a bunch of junk from what we remember but it made a good hiding spot when we pranked the Slytherins."

"That is fine and good but if we are done, I would like to get this venom into storage," Cologne said, holding up a reinforced jar that held the basilisk venom. Everyone else agreed, they had spent enough time in the dark damp chamber and were ready to rejoin the warmer parts of the castle.

***

"Tonight we are going to start to brew a very complicated potion," Cologne said as Harry entered the lab for his private lesson. "It will take up to Christmas holidays to brew and many of the ingredients must be fresh so we shall head out to pick and gather them from time to time."

"What's the potion for?" Harry asked.

"You'll find out in due time, it is connected to the lessons Dumbledore is giving you," Cologne said. Harry nodded slightly, his occlumency lessons with Albus were coming to an end as there wasn't much else the elderly wizard could teach him on that front. Harry needed to take the time to build up his own defenses and while it would be years before he was on the same level as Dumbledore or Snape, Harry did well enough to block out someone until he could escape or throw the person out of his mind. It helped a little with his head aches as well he found, blocking the connection a little with Voldemort though it was still there.

The rest of Harry's time was taken up by Sirius and Professor Flitwick now as Dumbledore prepared something new for Harry. Harry loved the training he got with both men, Flitwick was teaching him how to dual and spells that were common in advanced defense. Sirius on the other hand taught him more uncommon spells, some he, Harry's father James and Remus had created in their youth, as well as helping Harry to discover a bit more about his Mew form and the different powers he could use with it.

Cologne started to instruct Harry in the beginning stages of the very potion that would expel the sliver of Riddle's soul from his body. She referred to the scroll that contained the instructions for the potion often and watched proudly as Harry took to the rhythm of brewing as if it was second nature.

'Foolish man, if he hadn't been so blinded by his hatred of the boy's father, he would have seen that Harry has the talent,' Cologne thought to herself. She was not impressed with Severus Snape in the least. Yes the younger potion master did have the love of brewing and a brilliant mind but he had stifled any natural talent in his students except for a very few. From the tales she had heard from Sirius and his friend Remus, Harry's mother Lily had been a natural at potion brewing as well and had rivaled Snape for first place in their year group.

Cologne scowled slightly, Snape had done a lot of damage to the students of the school, they were just catching up all the students who took up the offer of tutoring and most would never have any love of it because it was tainted by a man who seemed to have a permanent bad mood.

"Are you ok?" Harry asked as he saw the look on his teachers face.

"It is fine child," Cologne assured him. "Once you finish with adding the wild rose petals you can leave for the night, the potion will have to simmer for a few hours."

Harry slowly nodded, he still thought Cologne was miffed about something but he wasn't going to push it. As he headed back to the Gryffindor Tower Harry mused on what the potion he was making with Cologne was for and what it had to do the lessons that Dumbledore was giving him.

Shaking his head as Harry came up on the painting of the Fat Lady.

"Harry-dear, do you know this young woman?" The Fat Lady asked as he came up. "She claims that she knows you and is trying to enter the tower."

"Hedwig!" Harry yelped in surprise. Hedwig smiled brightly at seeing her chick. "What are you doing here?" Harry asked worriedly, she and Sirius were hidden away from the rest of the school. He knew Sirius was supposed to stay hidden but he wasn't sure about Hedwig. "Come on, Courage," the Fat Lady swung open to let them into the Tower where everyone was waiting.

"Harry, we were starting to get worried that you wouldn't... what is she doing here?" Hermione asked when she saw Hedwig enter behind Harry. Some of the other Gryffindors in the tower that were still in the common room looked up.

"Who's she?"

"Wow, she's beautiful."

"You think she's got a boyfriend?"

"Maybe she's with Potter."

Harry scowled at his house mates as he heard them talking about Hedwig as he lead her over to the corner where his friends were waiting.

"She was outside the portrait," He explained to Hermione as he sat down on couch. Hedwig sat beside him and started to run her fingers through his hair, preening it much like she did when she had been an owl. Harry could hear the others in the room whisper again and rolled his eyes. He looked around at his friends who just looks amused then realized someone was missing. "Where’s Ryoga?"

**

Meanwhile, somewhere in the French country side...

"Where the hell am I now!?!?!" Ryoga yelled to the sky in anguish.

**

"Porker got lost again," Ranma said. Harry scowled at Ranma, he liked the older boy but he didn't like the way Ranma picked on Ryoga all the time.

"Sorry Harry, we just turned our backs for a moment," Hermione said.

"It's ok Mione, we already knew he got lost really easily," Harry said with a sigh. "He even said he was amazed he had been able to stay as long as he had."

"Ryoga will show up again, he always does," Ranma said with a shrug.

"How could you be so uncaring about him?" Hermione asked she picked up on Ranma's attitude as well. Ranma sighed and ran a hand through his bangs.

"Look, it's not that I don't care," he said. "I've known Ryoga for a long while, I'm use to him getting lost then just showing up. I know he can take care of himself, he's had to do it pretty much his whole life. Both of his parents are like him, always lost, so Ryoga had to mostly raise himself. It's like Harry said, it's amazing he hadn't gotten completely lost before now more than he already has. He's due to get lost like this."

"I hate to agree with him, but that's how Ryoga explained it to me too," Harry agreed with a sigh. Hedwig cooed softly, tucking a wild strand of hair behind her chick's ear.

"Hey Harry," Seamus wondered over, eyeing Hedwig. "Who's your friend?" Harry quickly pondered how to answer his dorm mate's question. Sirius had to stay hidden, after all even after being 'dead' the man's name hadn't been cleared yet and it wouldn't do for Voldemort to find out his godfather was once again among them, but it was never decided on whether to keep Hedwig hidden from the public. It was too late now, everyone in the common room had seen her and already the word was spreading.

"Seamus, this is Hedwig," Harry said loud enough so everyone else listening in could hear as well.

"She has the same name as your owl?" Seamus asked. Harry shook his head.

"It's more than that," Harry said. "She's not a woman with the same name as my owl, she is my owl. Or use to be my owl."

"Huh?" Seamus asked, expressing the feelings of most of the others in the room. Harry sighed and stood up, looking out at the rest of his housemates. Since the cat was out of the bag and everyone already knew about the curses, or at least Ranma's curse, Harry started to explain.

"Hedwig was cursed the same way Ranma was," Harry said. "She's an owl cursed to turn into a human version of herself. But because it's dangerous for her to go from owl to human if say she was flying, it was decided to lock Hedwig's curse for good so from now on she's a human."

"So that really is your owl?" Lee, the twin's friend, asked. "What about that owl that visits you sometime at breakfast then?"

"That’s my new post owl Isamu, Hedwig picked him out to be her replacement," Harry said. "Hedwig is a part of my family now and I don't want to hear anything else about it!" He turned and sat back down again. Hedwig turned and glared with her amber colored eyes at the teens in the room for making her Harry-chick upset. Seamus gulped and quickly hurried back over to Dean's side.

"Harry do you really think that was wise?" Hermione asked.

"It's kinda too late now, everyone already saw her just by coming in here," Ron said.

"Ron's right, you know how gossip spreads around here," Harry agreed. "Better to nip any rumors in the bud before they can start. At least now Hed doesn't have to hide like Snuffles does." Hermione sighed but nodded, knowing her two best friends were correct.

"Alright, I can see both of your points," she said. She cast a tempus spell as she yawned. "It's getting late, maybe she should head back." Harry frowned at that.

"I don't know Hermione," Harry said very softly so only his friends would here. "I don't think it's safe for her to wonder around this late at night by herself with only the few spells that she knows."

"Is this about Malfoy?" Hermione asked. She understood and agreed now that maybe Harry had a point about the blond but she also thought the boy had an unhealthy obsession.

"Partly, but it's just not him that's a follower I bet," Harry said. "Voldemort's got to have other minions in the school and if he knows that Hedwig is important to me, don't you think someone would take the chance to hurt her?"

"Oh," Hermione blinked, Harry had a point. "We'll I guess she can sleep up in our dorm, I think I can transfigure a bed for her for the night."

"Why don't you just have a House Elf bring a bed or something up?" Ron asked. Hermione scowled at him, she didn't like to overwork or ask anything of the House Elves. Harry rolled his eyes then cast a ward to keep others from over hearing and called out softly to Dobby.

"Yes Master Harry Potter sir?" Dobby said as he popped into view.

"Dobby, could you have a cot or something put in Hermione's dorm, Hedwig came to visit but we think it's too dangerous for her to go back this late," Harry explained. "And tell Snuffles where she is so he doesn’t worry."

"Dobbys be doing this for Master Harry Potters Hedwigs," Dobby said, nodding his head excitedly.

"Thank you," Harry said with a smile. Dobby gave a small happy squeal then popped back out of the room.

"I'll explain to the other girls why she's camping in our dorm," Hermione said as she stood. "Once I explain I'm sure the others will be fine with her staying there." Harry nodded in thanks while Hedwig stood to join the younger girl.

"Good...night... Harry-chick" Hedwig said carefully. Harry blushed at the nickname but smiled.

"Goodnight Hedwig," Hedwig returned his smile then followed Hermione up the stairs to the girl's dorms.

***

Shampoo growled under her breath as she padded her way back to the rooms she shared with her Great Grandmother. She had been exploring the castle a bit and ended up running into the school's poltergeist Peeves who had poured a bucket of water on the purple haired teen. Her own Jusenkyo curse was unknown to the school so far, how the poltergeist figured it out or if she just happened to be a random victim to his pranks she didn't know, but now she was a wet pissed off cat.

'Oh I wish I could dig these claws into that stupid ghost!' Shampoo thought to herself, flexing her claws as she imagined raking them across Peeve's face.

"Rowllllhiisss," a low growling hiss came from Shampoo's right as she passed one of the many hallways Hogwarts had. Shampoo stopped with a frown on her cute kitty face and looked in that direction. Standing in the hallway was a mangy looking long hair cat with bright, evil looking red eyes.

"Mrowl," Shampoo said as her ears went flat, she didn't have time to mess with some stupid cat.

"Hiisss," Mrs. Norris hissed back, she hated all the upstart cats and children that roamed around her castle and knew her human pet Filch didn't like them either. Mrs. Norris's back arched and her tail fluffed out in challenge, she had to show the new comer her place, like she did with all the cats in the castle. It didn't work all the time of course, some like Hermione's small tig... I mean cat... Crookshanks had quickly put Mrs. Norris in her place. Shampoo raised an eyebrow, or she would if she had one as a cat, and snorted.

'This mangy cat is challenging /me/? Xian Pu of the Joketsuzoku?' Shampoo thought to herself then shrugged to herself. /'Ok, I need to work off some steam.' /Shampoohissed back and arched her own back. The two cats started to circle each other like they were in a turf war, each sizing the other up.

Mrs. Norris made the first move, her muscles bunching up as she crouched down then sprung in Shampoo's direction with her claws out. Shampoo back flipped out of the way then head butted Mrs. Norris in the face.

"ROOWWWLL!" Mrs. Norris yowled in surprise, shaking her head then bared her teeth at the smaller cat.

'Come on you stupid beast,' Shampoo thought as her purple tail lashed side to side behind her. Mrs. Norris lashed out with a paw, claws extended. Shampoo ducked under the claw then dashed forward, throwing her own paw out. She caught Mrs. Norris across the face, leaving claw marks across the real cat's nose. Mrs. Norris hissed in pain and shook her head, her ears flat and red eyes glaring hatefully at Shampoo. She darted forward hoping to catch Shampoo by surprise and pin the smaller feline down.

Shampoo leapt up into the air and spun around, landing a cat version of a roundhouse kick in the surprised Mrs. Norris's chest.

"MMMEEOOOWW!!!" Mrs. Norris flew back several feet from Shampoo's powerful kick. The cursed teen landed on her delicate kitty paws, her own lighter red eyes staring right into Mrs. Norris's darker ones. (2)

Mrs. Norris hunched down in fear, no cat she had even fought before was like this little cat and when Shampoo took a threatening step forward, the Maine Coon decided to cut her losses and turned tail, tearing down the stone corridor like the devil himself was on her heels. Shampoo smirked, her tail held high in the air as she turned and continued her way back to her and Cologne's room. It felt good to work off a little steam.

***

Harry wasn't sure at first just what had set Mr. Filch off, the squib caretaker of Hogwarts had been more nasty toward the students than before. It was very much like Harry's second year when Filch's cat Mrs. Norris had been petrified by the basilisk on Halloween night. The reason behind Flinch's bad mood became clear days later, Mrs. Norris now sported a set of claw shaped scars across the nasty cat's nose. The caretaker's cat had gotten into a fight with a cat who wouldn't take any of her shit.

Of course, no one was coming forward to claim that their cat was the one to put Mrs. Norris in her place but that didn't stop the Gryffindor’s from wondering who it was. Hermione insisted that it was not Crookshanks and Harry believed her, he had his own theory on who was behind Mrs. Norris's new look. He thought Shampoo looked much too smug every time it was brought up but the Chinese beauty wouldn't admit to anything.

Harry watched around the corner as Filch stalked the hall, looking for anyone to yell at and punish, Mrs. Norris dodging his heels.

"We'll find someone my sweet," Harry could hear Filch said.

"Rrow," Mrs. Norris responded. Harry ducked into the classroom behind him, locking and warding the door so he wouldn't be found. Sitting on the old teacher desk he took out the Marauder's map.

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good," Harry said as he tapped the map. A grin spread on his face as the words,

"Messrs. Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs

Purveyors of Aids to Magical Mischief-Makers

Are proud to present

THE MARAUDER'S MAP," along with the whole layout of Hogwarts appeared on the parchment. Harry looked at the corridor outside of the room he was in and sighed in relief as Filch and Mrs. Norris walked on past his hiding spot and down the hallway.

"That was too close," Harry said as he checked over the rest of the map. He had planned on following Malfoy around today since he finally had a free weekend. Sirius had Remus over while the werewolf recovered from the full moon and Hedwig was helping his godfather. His other friends were busy as well so that left Harry to himself. He glanced over the map and pouted slightly when he didn't see Ryoga's name. "Still not back yet," he said with a sigh then looking for Draco's name.

After a few minutes Harry grinned in triumph as he located Malfoy's name in the library then frowned.

"Huh... that's not really all that sneaky," Harry said then tilted his head to the side. Malfoy looked like he was on his own and was wondering around in the Restricted Section. "Crap, I have no idea if he's looking up dark spells or if he's just doing homework." He would have to go to the library to spy, if Malfoy was doing homework then Harry would leave but if he was doing something else...

"Mischief Managed," Harry said as he tapped the map, clearing it. Tucking it back into his robes, Harry opened the door to the class room and peeked out. Seeing the hallway clear, Harry slipped out and hurried to the library.

When Harry arrived in the school library he quickly found a dusty, dark corner to hide in. Looking around to make sure he was alone, Harry peeked around the bookcases and located Malfoy. The blond was no longer alone, he was speaking to an older boy who Harry vaguely recognized as an older Slytherin though he had no idea what the teen's name was. The pair looked like they were in a heated talk and Harry frowned as he was too far off to hear what they were saying.

'Damn, I can't hear them,' Harry thought, whatever they were saying Malfoy seemed to be getting annoyed. 'Wait... I do have a form that can hear them from here,' the black haired teen remembered, green eyes lighting up. Checking once again that there wasn't anyone watching, Harry changed into his Mew form with a soft pop then glowed as he shifted into Marill.

In his smaller round blue mouse form, Harry-Marill peeked around the shelves again pointing one round ear at the two Slytherins.

"...this up Malfoy," Harry could hear the older boy saying.

"I know already Griffin," Malfoy said with gritted teeth. "I know what my mission is, I don't need to be babysitted."

"I don't know Malfoy, you're such a daddy's boy you can't do anything without him holding your hand," The older Slytherin Griffin said with a smirking tone as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"I am not a daddy's boy," Malfoy growled. "I'll get both of my missions done and without my father's help."

"Of course you're doing it without daddy's help, he's in Azkaban isn't he," Griffin said with a vicious grin. Malfoy flushed in anger and clenched his fist, the Dark Lord refused to break Lucius out right away wanting the elder Malfoy to rot in the prison for a while as punishment. "Just remember, I'm not the only one keeping an eye out on you," Griffin said in a dark warning tone before turning and walking away. (3)

Malfoy seethed in anger, glaring in the direction at the older boy had gone. The blond then took a deep breath, smoothed back his hair and straighten his robes then swept out of the library himself.

'So I was right,' Harry thought to himself, pulling himself back into the shadows fully. 'But what is Malfoy's mission? Sounds like Riddle's got other students watching Malfoy to make sure he does whatever it is he's suppose to do.'

"Marill..." Harry said with a sigh, rubbing his front paws against his face. He was no closer to finding out what his rival was up to, but at least he knew now he was right about the blond.

"Hello Ryoga-san," Harry's head snapped up in shock as his large round ears heard Luna's voice say Ryoga's name.

**

Ryoga had never seen such a beautiful sight in his life as the large castle that he went to school at now loomed in front of him.

"Thank Kami," Ryoga said with tears of joy in his eyes, the last week of constant wanderings had taken him places he hoped to never see again. The giant robots fighting giant monsters had been hell, and that hadn't even been the weirdest thing he saw! But now he was back at Hogwarts and he would soon see Harry again... if he could find the younger boy.

"I hope he likes my gift," Ryoga said as he walked toward the doors. Ryoga had been... someplace, he had no real idea where, and had found a market place. The people there didn't speak Japanese, or English for that matter. What they did speak was one of the many languages that Ryoga only knew a little bit of. At one of the many stalls at the market place had been a man who sold different types of jewelry, Ryoga had been drawn to a gold ring with a silver etching of a winged lion holding a red stone.

The man who ran the stand had told Ryoga only a little about the ring, Ryoga wasn't sure but he through the man had said something about a heart stone. The Lost Boy didn't know what a heart stone was and wasn't sure what the magic he could feel on the ring meant but Ryoga swore it wasn't evil. Ryoga had also picked up a box of ROYCE', one of the best chocolates to be found in Japan, in Hokkaido that he hoped his Harry would like.

"Ruff ruff!" Ryoga grinned as he heard the familiar bark of his dog.

"Shirokuro!" He said as he turned and knelt down, wrapping his arms around Shirokuro as the ninja dog raced up to him from the direction of Hagrid's hut.

"Rrruff arf," Shirokuro's tail wagged happily as he licked his master's face in greeting.

"Good boy Shirokuro," Ryoga said with a laugh. "Have you been watching over Harry-chan for me?"

"RRrruff ruff," Shirokuro barked in agreement.

"Good good boy," Ryoga praised. "Lead me to him boy," Shirokuro barked once, getting down so Ryoga could stand up, then lead his master toward the school. Shirokuro kept Ryoga on track, pulling and pushing the teen when Ryoga started to stray off the path. Ryoga easily pushed open the large front doors and followed Shirokuro through the school. Shirokuro’s nose was glued to the ground as he followed Harry's scent up to the library.

Glancing around the door, Ryoga happily noted that the librarian Madam Pince was nowhere to be seen, something Ryoga was grateful for because to be honest she scared him a little bit. She would never approve Shirokuro entering her domain, no matter how well behaved the ninja trained dog was, but Ryoga needed his familiar to lead him.

"Be very quite Shirokuro," Ryoga whispered. The black and white dog gave a very small woof and silently crept through the bookshelves.

In another part of the library, Luna Lovegood smiled as she moved to meet Ryoga. Her little spirit friends, invisible to everyone except her, had told her the Eternal Lost Boy had returned to the school grounds. The little seer blood the blond processed nudged her in the right direction so she could meet up with him.

Luna had seen the way her friend Harry looked at the other boy, and it was the same way Ryoga looked at Harry. Neither boy seemed to notice, not surprising as boys seemed to completely miss something right in front of their faces. But it was something more, Luna had seen the string. The red one tied to Harry’s little finger, the other end leading right up to his friend. Oh it wasn't the only String of Fate Harry Potter had attached to him, Harry's fate was tied to his friends as well, of which Luna was delighted she was one of them. And there were other faint strings attached to people that could mean more to Harry than they already did.

But none were as bright or strong as that one string that tied Ryoga and Harry together, and it made Luna very happy to see it. She loved Harry, in a sisterly way of course, and wanted to see the older teen happy. He needed love in his life, true love, and Luna was sure Ryoga could give that to him.

'But first, I must get the ball rolling before any Wrackspurts confuse either of them,' Luna thought to herself as Ryoga rounded the bookshelves. She knew Harry was nearby, in one of those new forms he was able to take up now, and he would be listening it.

"Hello Ryoga-san," Luna said as she stepped out of the shadows, smiling up at the older boy.

Ryoga stopped short in surprise, Luna had almost appeared to come out of nowhere.

"Oh Hello... Luna ne?" Ryoga asked as he tried to remember the blond girl's name.

"Yes, you're looking for Harry correct?" Luna asked as she tilted her head to the side slightly, her radish earrings swaying with the movement.

"Hai, do you know where he is?" Ryoga asked hopefully.

"He's around," Luna said. "Ryoga, you like Harry don't you?"

"Well yeah, he's my best friend," Ryoga said with a slightly confused look.

"Isn't it a little more than that?" Luna asked. "Since he returned to school, he's spent more time with you than he does Ron or Hermione. Harry lights up when you enter the room, did you know that?"

Behind a bookshelf on the other side of the library, a certain round blue mouse-like creature flushed brightly.

"He does?" Ryoga asked, his dark green eyes lighting up then blushed heavily. Shirokuro panted in amusement at his master. "I mean..."

"Ryoga, do you know how you feel about Harry?" Luna asked. Ryoga frowned slightly, not sure if he understood.

"What do you mean?" Ryoga asked a bit confused.

"I think you like him more than a friend," Luna said in a matter-of-fact way. "You care for him more than that; you want to see him happy and safe."

"How...?" Ryoga was speechless. It was one thing for Ranma or Shampoo to point out how he might feel about Harry, and he couldn't say they were wrong, how he felt about Harry was stronger than any crush he had on Akane or Akari.

"Don't you?" Luna asked. "Care for him like that? Don't let the Wrackspurts or the Nargels cloud your mind about this."

"Nargels? Haven’t you mentioned them before?" Ryoga asked.

"No, those were Nergals, completely different race of creatures that’s distantly related," Luna said. "Just think on it, I think the answer will come to you." Luna turned and left, feeling she had planted the seed in both boys to get them thinking.

***

On the other side of the library Harry changed back into his human form, sliding down the bookcase to sit on the floor.

Did Ryoga like him as more than a friend? The older boy hadn't told Luna he did, but at the same time Ryoga didn't deny it either. Since he’d known the girl, Luna just always seemed to know things and Harry quickly learnt to listen to what Luna said.

And that brought up the question of how Harry felt about Ryoga. Harry couldn't deny that he sometimes thought of Ryoga in more than a friendly manner, in a way he never thought of Ron or Hermione in. He sometimes sneaked a peek at the older boy when Ryoga undressed and sometimes Harry’s heart fluttered in a way that even Cho had never made it do.

Harry bit his lip, he had no way of knowing if he was in love with someone. He hadn't known love growing up, the Dursleys had made sure to let him know that they pretty much hated him and the feeling was returned. Harry loved his friends, he loved Sirius too but he knew that wasn't the same as being romantically in love. Cho wasn’t a good example, their dates ended badly and the only kiss they shared was horrible.

So how would he know?

Shaking his head, Harry sighed and stood up, brushing dirt off the seat of his pants. He didn't know enough about love, to love another like his parents had according to Sirius, to know what he really felt for Ryoga. Sighing again, Harry stepped out from the bookcases and ran straight into the very source of his thoughts. Strong arms wrapped around him gently to keep him from falling.

"Harry-chan!" Ryoga said happily. Harry blushed and tried to put his thoughts out of his mind as he smiled up at his friend. He only absently noted that Ryoga's face was as red as his own.

***

(1) A Shin Shishi Hokodan is a more powerful version of Ryoga's regular Shishi Hokodan. Ryoga has to be really depressed or angry to build up the energy to power it and the attack can destroy everything around it.

(2) I can't remember if I already mentioned Shampoo's eye color in this story but I just recently found out that her eyes are red. I called them brown somewhere before, in this or another fic I am working on, with is incorrect.

(3) Voldemort had to have other students under his command at the school and with an important mission that Draco Malfoy had, I wouldn't be surprised if snake face had Malfoy watched the whole time.

Edit 7-13-14: Very little to fix here. Just a couple of misspelled words.
Sign up to rate and review this story