Categories > Cartoons > Teen Titans > Die To Save You

Die To Save You

by bored-piper 0 reviews

In a fight gone wrong, Raven was forced into another dimension. Now with nothing to help her but blind trust, her own power, and four superheros working hard to bring her back- she must decide how ...

Category: Teen Titans - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Raven - Warnings: [!!] [V] [?] - Published: 2014-05-26 - Updated: 2014-06-08 - 2335 words

1Ambiance
Italics will be thoughts of a character, usually Raven unless specified otherwise, or a monologue for longer blocks of writing.

Possible Yuri / torture scene in later chapters; nothing too extreme in my own opinion. Also, while there is a lot of text blocks in the first one or two chapters, it thins out later on. One of the main characters in this will be an OC, one of the Kyoshi Warriors.

This, by the way, is set after the end of the Teen Titans series, and before Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I don't own Teen Titans or A:tla, unless I win a couple lotteries and buy them, in which case I don't have to post that disclaimer...so if I do become rich, you'll know.

*

~Raven

Interdimensional travel, it’s a subject that I don't know a great deal about. Although I suppose others would not think that, considering that half of my family was made up of interdimensional demons. That being said, it should also be noted that while I can travel between dimensions, it is a skill I've only used once. During my childhood in Azarath I would become bored in between my studies and meditating. Loathing the place because of how restricting it was to me, yet almost grateful because I knew that without those monks, I would have become somebody, no, something, very different from what I am now.

Regardless, the only time I've used my ability to travel between dimensions was to escape from Azarath. And in truth, I did not know where I would end up. I figured my best shot would be an empty dimension, devoid of life. That way I hoped I could not bring harm to anybody. As you already know, I had no such luck.

What I'm attempting to say here is that while I can travel between dimensions, I have very little control over it. It took nearly a half of a lifetime for Trigon to control where he went, and he had the luxury of not caring where he ended up when he was figuring it out -along with a few hundred more years of a life span. Traveling like this required me to release more of my demonic side than I ever had before that. And while it was dangerous to release that much of my demon self, I had expected the danger and prepared myself as best I could. My greatest fear now, concerning interdimensional travel, seems rather trivial. Yet after arriving on Earth, getting lost was a major factor in my silent vow to never travel like that again. I have a home now. And now I have the closest thing to a family that I could ever have. If I ever were to travel dimensions again and run the high chance of getting lost, I would be chancing all of that. To gamble that is something I do not think I could do, no matter the consequences to myself.

That is, unless I had no choice in the matter.
*
~Titan's world

"TITANS GO!" was the familiar call from Robin, as the team swept in to action against the new villain occupying Jump City. The Professor is what the underground has dubbed him. He was an average looking man, with nothing distinguishing except for his thick eyeglasses and balding head. His suit was a dark purple robe with a red trim. Simple, yet it almost radiated his arrogance. Robin had hoped the battle would not last long. During fights with new villains, the team had to take chances, gambles to see how the villain would react, and where his weaknesses were. They had to stick out their necks a bit further for him, to see what he would do.

As the team continued their assault; Raven stepped back for a moment, believing the rest of the team had things under control for the moment. She edged closer to examine the machine that the Professor was building. It was a large metallic disk, roughly five feet in diameter. Standing vertical, it was a foot or so higher than her, and as wide as she could stretch her arms out. This was due in part to the machines triangular base raising it over a foot, and the control box with just a few switches on it that was welded to the side on the disk.

After almost twenty minutes of evading the Titan's attacks and keeping them at bay with small, but ineffective explosives, he was finally cornered against his own machine. The Professor had not proven to be a particularly difficult opponent, but definitely an annoying one for the Titans. The ideal battle, if there was such a thing, was to have the criminal subdued within the first five to ten minutes of the Titans' arrival, and even then, ten minutes in a fight was a lifetime. This was mostly in effort to minimize the risk of the team members getting hurt and damage to the city.

The Professor, however, had focused on keeping them away and had not used any weapons strong enough to seriously harm any of them. To Robin, it seemed like he was buying time; keeping the team occupied with him, but not allowing either side to gain the upper hand.

"Give up now and come easily." demanded the weary leader, eager to get back to the tower and rest before filing a report.

“Well now, it's not like I have a huge choice in this, do I?” The Professor laughed, becoming hysterical. “It really is a pity to see this end, Robin. I was hoping for something grander than this wee warehouse. Anyhow, this all should still serve as a good test for my device."

Robin was unable to respond before the Professor pushed his fingers against a button taped on the inside of his wrist. The silver disk soon crackled to life, and began emitting purple bolts of energy that seemed to flow through the room. Robin, startled by the sudden activity of the disk, took his eyes off the Professor for a fraction of a second, allowing him to tackle Robin. The two struggled on the floor for a few seconds until Raven, who was the closest at the time, ran forward and used her powers to pull the Professor off from Robin.

Raven did not see the bolt of energy leap from the disk to her, nor did she remember falling to the floor immediately after. What she did remember was the ripping feeling, as if a force was trying to pull her organs from her. She had experienced this only once before; during her escape from Azarath to Earth. It was now a reminder to her; telling Raven what she would lose when the transfer was over. The first people she could call her family, her home along with it. Those were the reasons that she silently promised herself never to try dimensional travel again.

And in a distant, insane voice, she could hear the Professor:
"Ooh my, it's working so well, and look!...It has even selected a living subject. Wonder if this one will make it through, I can't say the mice did!" exclaimed the professor as he clasped his hands in joy. Only to be cut off shortly after by a swift punch from Robin.

The Titans never had a chance to stop it. Cyborg, who was standing just feet from Raven moments before, had tried to pull her back from the machine. But before he could get close to her, he felt the energy course through his outstretched arm, frying his circuitry. He could feel it slowly creep closer to his motherboard, and had it not been for Beast Boy, who charged him and knocked Cyborg clear away from the machine, Cyborg may not have been functioning very much longer.

Robin silently vowed to bring Raven back. He watched the authorities drag the Professor back into their van. After hearing how his machine essentially vaporized their team member, and a brief call from the mayor, it was decided he would not go on trial until Raven was brought back.

If she came back. Robin thought briefly.

He knew he couldn't think like that. He had to stay optimistic, for the team's sake at the very least. But his training with Batman had taught him to expect the very worst. He had to prepare himself for if she didn't come back, he had to prepare the team.

However, that didn't mean that the Professor wouldn't be seeing him again. Come tomorrow, he decided, he would visit him in his cell. If he didn't talk then, he would come the next day, and the next...

*

~A:tla World

A lone carriage bounced along the dirt road. In the back was Zuko, on his journey back from the Fire Nation capital. After telling his father of the Avatars recent return, Zuko and his uncle, who was driving the carriage, were now en route to the dock where his ship was under repairs. His father had given him barely enough time to finish the repairs; he had to be out of Fire Nation waters in four days.

"Zuko" Iroh said from the driver's bench. "Zuko!" he repeated.

"What is it Uncle?" he said, clearly irritated he was woken up.

"There's a body in the road."

"Then move it."

"Shouldn't we at least take them to the nearest town?"

"You mean the town that we passed two hours ago? It's too far."

"But Zuko, we cannot just leave her!"

"She's probably not alive, just move her off the road."

"Very well" Iroh said, dejected at the chance of having somebody to talk to taken away; but still relived at being able to stretch his tired legs. The girl had very pale skin and a deep purple cloak covered her entire body, save the head and a foot that poked out the side of the cloak. He grunted slightly when he moved her to the side, by no means because of her weight, but possibly his. The girl's eyes fluttered for a second when he was finished dragging her.

"Uncle! Were behind schedule already."

"Do have patience, just a moment now." He called back. Feeling bad for leaving the girl he tied a small leather pouch onto her hand.

She had passed out again by the time the carriage had left.

*

Many hours later, Raven began to regain consciousness slowly at first. She began to feel the cold ground beneath her. A woman, about her age, was brewing tea over the fire. Her belt was laying on the dirt ground an arm's length away from her.

"Good, you're awake." Said the woman as she looked up. "My name is Holly; I suppose you're not from around here."

She was wearing torn red pants, made out of a rough canvas, along with a loose fitting shirt. Some bandages wrapped around her left arm, just below her shoulder. She had a rather worn look in her eyes, but very alert none the less. Raven could not see the scars that crisscrossed her body beneath her clothing, or the few on her arms in the dim light.

"No" Raven said just above a whisper, her throat dry and coated with dust.

Holly leaned forward and pressed a cup of tea to her lips, tipping it slightly for her to drink. Raven reached forward to take the cup, but her hand only rose a few inches before falling back onto her lap.

"Hmm, you're still able to move." The woman said, thinking to herself. "I gave you a drugged tea when I found you, took almost three times the normal dose to stop you from moving." She further explained. Raven tried to move her arm again, but to no avail. A paralysis drug. She glared at her, not being able to do much else in her human form. "You must understand. I don't intend to harm you. But if I trusted everybody I found on a roadside, I'd probably be dead by now."

"So where is here anyway?" Raven asked, holding nothing against the other woman. It was a logical thing to do, after all, if not just a bit extreme.

What a stupid question, it’s not like I would know anyway.

"The Fire Nation, right now we're just under a day's walk to the sea, if nothing interrupts the journey. So where are you from?"

"Jump City, it's...very far away."

"Are you on your way back home then?"

"It isn't quite that simple, I don't think I can go back right now.”

If it’s a friendly dimension, staying can’t hurt, hopefully that machine wasn't random, and it can be replicated; probably not though. Best I get to another dimension, maybe one with technology, if this one proves to be dangerous.

"So where will you be heading tomorrow?" Raven asked, seeing that they were in a very rough tent, and not likely to stay in it for more than a night.

"South, to the shore, then I'll have to find a way to cross the sea and hopefully be heading east." She responded with surprising openness. "You're welcome to tag along, but I can't guarantee your safety."

"It would be appreciated if I could."

"Sure, but as a fair warning: I'm not exactly liked in these parts." The woman said, looking up at her.

"I can take care of myself."

Assuming this hasn't drained my powers, best if she doesn't know about them yet though.

Raven thumbed the small leather pouch, still tied loosely to her wrist, before drifting off to sleep in this strange world.


*


A/N
R&R please! Much appreciated.

Also, there is more of this story up on fanfiction.net, I would post all of it here except that I’ve gotten BSOD’d and don’t have half of the chapters saved, so I’m slowly taking the ones posted there and fandangling them back onto word documents.
Sign up to rate and review this story