Categories > Cartoons > Teen Titans > Die To Save You

Strange Love

by bored-piper 0 reviews

Category: Teen Titans - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Raven - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2014-06-26 - 2364 words

0Unrated
Keep in mind that the large bay on Kyoshi faces east - at least for this story – and that I absolutely hated writing this chapter, partly because there really isn't anything useful to the plot except for the last scene. So I figured I'd fill it with something that could help with characterization instead of just pointless crap.

So I don't own TT or A:TLA, surprise surprise! What, aren't you surprised? I know I am, I could've sworn that I was entitled to them.

*

Raven shot upright in a cold sweat, feeling lightheaded as she sat up too fast. She looked down at Holly and Rena, both of which were still asleep beside her, and calmed herself as much she could with the sight of them peacefully sleeping, despite them both losing somebody so important to them. After a few minutes she shuddered again, not being able to rid her thoughts of the nightmare she just woke up from. Or would memory be more accurate?

She got up and tucked her part of the blanket that they all shared under Rena. Realizing she was still in grimy dress, she pulled a kimono off the wall without thinking much about it and, after quickly changing, wandered out of the cabin pondering the dream, as her feet led her to nowhere in particular.

*

A younger Raven stood on the bank of a river of lava, unable to move, with shock and fear etched onto her face. A man, with his lower half submerged in the molten rock, tried to drag his way onto the river bank; clawing in vain at the sharp rocks and tearing his fingers apart as he did so. His cries of agony pierced through the air, his mouth frozen in a disembodied scream. It echoed in Raven's head, and yet she stood there, paralyzed by an unwanted force. It isn't real she tried to tell herself. Just another one of those damned visions of his. She shouted in her head, cursing her father and the visions that he tortured her sleep with. The man pulled himself forward a few inches, out of the fiery river just enough for Raven to see that his lower half was no longer with him. His bloodied hand grasped at her small ankle and pulled her in. I had defeated that monster already, so why must he torture me again with these windows into hell?

But those visions had stopped years ago, even before I met the Titans. She thought to herself as she sat down on the frozen but dry earth, on the same hill that she and Holly had sat on almost a week ago. Could they have returned because of what had happened at the ball reminded me of it? But that means they were my memories, and not visions sent by…him. e refused to say his name, or even think of it - as if acknowledging his very existence would give him more power.

"How's my kimono fit?"

Raven jumped a bit, being caught off guard again while she was lost in her thoughts. "Oh, sorry, didn't look whose it was." How long have I been up here already? A half hour? An hour? The sun has already risen across the bay…

"It's fine, keep it. I'll get a spare from Suki later." Raven looked at her as Holly walked towards where she sat. She too had gotten rid of the grimy dress and was now in her undergarments, although they still covered much of her lithe body.

"C'mon, I don't want Rena waking up with nobody there." Holly said, pulling Raven up to her feet.

"How are you holding up?"

"Death is something that we've all felt here as warriors, you learn to come to terms with it after your day of mourning." Holly thought for a moment. "Although I always figured that I would die before anyone I really cared about did." Her face fell. "Guess this proves me wrong."

Raven gave a nod as Holly pulled closer to her, trying to get out of the freezing gusts of wind that were common for Kyoshi's winters. She used the tightly woven silk that fell in excess from the kimono as a wind breaker, huddling closer to the large kimono Raven now wore, which wasn't restricted by the leather armor that it was normally fitted with.

"I've also been thinking," Holly continued. "That because I'll be training most of the day and the school was burnt, could you look after Rena for today? She finds school too easy so if you'd like to teach her about something new, I'm sure she'd love it."

Raven smiled as they neared their cabin. The conversation had brought back memories of Timmy, Melvin, and Teether. "I'll find something for her."

*

The Professor watched from the large couch at the rest of the titans replayed their conversation with Raven. Why were they so excited about this? It isn't like she was at any real risk. I'd bet my reputation that she would be the one to always survive going through the portals; there was no doubt she make it. And she's a titan! She could hold her own anywhere. He pressed his hands over his ears as they replayed the recording of Raven's conversation with the Titans again for the new group of Honorary Titans returning to the tower. It must be the fifth time already. He slumped down on the couch. Renee, I'm so close. But when the time comes, will you still be waiting for me?

*

Raven finished polishing a thick piece of glass that she found beneath the ashes of what used to be a brewery; it was the third piece that Raven had cut and polished into a simple, concave lenses. She fitted the final glass piece into a tube with the others and called Rena over, who had been finishing a math problem that Raven gave her. She quickly showed her how to slide the one lens slightly forward or backward to help adjust it, and she was off, Raven sat in the center of the small room as she looked at different fabrics in the cabin under the rough microscope. Raven looked on with amusement and pulled out her communicator, touched the redial icon and waited as it tried to connect.

*

"Hey, what's that?" Argent asked, pointing to a blue button flashing on the side of the cube and its attached communicator.

"I dunno, press it." One of the voices said from behind her.

"Because pressing random buttons is always a good-" She was cut short by Kid Flash pressing the button over her shoulder.

"Oh, hello." Raven said sheepishly, expecting Cyborg or Robin to anwser instead.

In an instant she was bombarded with questions, which she tried to answer while keeping an eye on Rena, who was now inspecting her battered leotard and cape which hung on the wall. Still have to fix a few tears before I can wear that again.

"Yes, I've met a group of good people here…" She answered a question from who she thought was Aqualad. She ignored the next question as she saw Rena stand up, look around, and run outside.

"Hey, get back here. You're not going out like that, it's freezing!" She yelled after her unsuccessfully. She put down the communicator and the honorary titans could see Raven block the entrance with her powers and force a coat onto Rena, before letting her go outside.

"Whoa Raven, when'd you get a kid?" Jinx asked, her head filling the screen as she forced herself to the front.

"She's not mine exactly."

"You're acting like she is." Argent interjected. Raven ignored her as she stared at the congregation of Kyoshi Warriors forming at the dojo. Rena began running towards them, curious about what was happening.

"Hey, I'll talk to you later." She said absent mindedly, closing the communicator and walking towards the group, where Rena already waited.

*

"Oh good, Raven." Suki waved her over. "Could you go get Holly, she should be to the south of here."

Raven shrugged and set off on the southern trail that followed a river, fed by the few hot springs on the island. Stepping over a few burnt and fallen trees she walked quickly down the path, rounding a bend when she nearly tripped on Holly's katana and armor. The Kyoshi Warrior was bathing in the hot spring a not far away, cleaning her arms by rubbing fistfuls of sand over them until the dirt had been abraded off.

"I… I'm Sorry." Raven stammered, turning away from her partner's barren body. "I didn't mean to intrude."

Holly looked up at her and let her arms fall to her side. "Sorry for what?"

Raven didn't answer, uncomfortable by the situation. Sure we're in a relationship…but not in that sense, at least not now…right?

"Raven, you shouldn't be embarrassed by this." Wait, nothing for ME to be embarrassed about? What about her?

Raven glance back at her, focusing only on her face. My Azar, she's serious. Has she no shame?

"Can't you at least try to cover yourself? It's indecent."

"For a woman, perhaps." Holly continued, “I was raised as a warrior, you know that, and as such consider myself that over a woman, and that I've treated this body accordingly. Never once did I expect that it'd be any other way."

"Well which way is it now then, with us?"

"…I'm not sure."

"Well cover up at least, it's still indecent to be out here like this, right along the pathway." Raven said looking away from her again.

"A trail that is only used by the warriors; the villagers take a different one to the other side of the mountain."

"Whether you're a warrior first or second, you're a woman to me and you're all that Rena has left. So at least try to set a good example."

Holly sank back into the water thinking about Rena.

"That also means don't do anything stupid if you have to fight. I don't know what we'd do if we lost you." Raven said as she picked up the kimono off the pile of clothing on the ground and slipped it on Holly when she stepped out of the spring, quickly tying the belt portion behind her.

"So why were you even taking a bath at this time of day?" Raven inquired as she picked up the rest of the equipment from the ground.

"Oh, Suki told me to –realized we hadn't washed since the dance." She answered, but her mind still on Rena.

"You'll do fine, Rena adores you, you know." Holly looked at Raven when she said this, wondering if she had thought this topic over before mentioning it.

They walked in silence for a few moments, and when Holly asked how Rena was doing, "Disturbingly happy." was the best way Raven could put it. Holly nodded and gave her opinion; that perhaps she was still in a state of shock, as she remembered being that way when she met Hiroko, shortly after her mother was killed. They walked in silence the rest of the way back. Raven opting to carry the black leather armor, despite Holly's protest. The armor, she suspected, had metal plates in it somewhere, due to its weight.

*

They got back to see the Warriors and a few villagers still crowding Suki, who stood with a messenger hawk perched on her arm; the bird's message case decorated with the Fire Nation emblem in gold, representing a family from the upper class. The warriors were talking quietly amongst themselves, fearful but curious of the contents of the letter. "It's to you." Suki said, handing the unopened letter to Holly. Holly opened it and glanced at it, before handing it over Ko to read.

"The commander that you "questioned" had lied. It was a test. One month until the actual attack. Far stronger." Ko finished reading the short message. "Who's this from?" She asked, her voice unsteady.

"Doesn't matter. We can trust it." Holly answered quickly.

"Are you sure?"

Holly nodded, remembering the kindness that Mai had shown her. Perhaps it was a lie, but could they chance that? While she had learned to distrust most people to an extent, there was no reason for Mai, for she was certain that it was from her, to warn them of this outside of respect for each other.

"If this is true," Yumiko spoke up, "we stand no chance with just the nine of us."

"We'd need an army." Akiko said. Or Titans Raven thought.

"Not only that, but we can't fight off an invasion with our tactics. If we fight individually, as we usually do, we would be killed in minutes." Suki stated.

"The villagers," Akiko continued, ignoring Suki's point for the moment, "there's a few hundred of them across the island. If they hear about this they'll fight alongside us, or want to at least."

"Ko, Yumiko, I want enough armor and weapons for every person on this island. You have a week, and I don't care how you get it." Suki started issuing orders and the two were off. "Akiko, Masa, spread the word to the villagers. No merchants can know. Tell them that every person who will fight to come to the dojo tomorrow at dawn. Volunteers only." Suki sent the others off of different jobs across the island, knowing that if there was to be a large invasion, their island should be at little risk from the Fire Nation until then.

"Tactics, we need new tactics." Suki muttered to herself, thinking of the island: the mountains almost completely sealing off the west side of the island, while east was relatively flat with mountains surrounding the main bay. There was a smaller bay on the north side, but it was relatively sealed off by the thick forest, it would be impossible to move more than a dozen men through it with any order. Suki muttered bits and pieces of the topography out loud as she ran through scenarios in her head.

"Suki?" Raven caught her attention. "Have you heard of the phalanx?"
Sign up to rate and review this story