Categories > Anime/Manga > Fruits Basket > Bite-Sized Fruits: A Collection of Furuba Drabbles

Accidents Happen

by Niamh 0 reviews

The Request: A Furuba drabble, starring Ayame and preferably the other two components of the Mabudachi trio...with the Snake being potty-trained

Category: Fruits Basket - Rating: PG - Genres: Humor - Characters: Ayame, Hatori, Shigure - Published: 2006-08-11 - Updated: 2006-08-12 - 763 words

0Unrated
It wasn't that he didn't want to. He did. He wanted to be a big boy, just like his cousins. 'Gure-chan held his chopsticks like a big boy. 'Tori-chan didn't cry when 'Gure-chan took the toys he wanted to play with. 'Gure-chan could eat candy without getting any in his hair. 'Tori-chan knew all sorts of big words.

Aya-chan wanted to be more like his two most favorite people in the world. He wished for it as hard as he could, all the way down to his toes, but it never seemed to happen. And so, on days like today, the little Snake sat in the sand -- wishing, but quietly -- as the Dragon worked industriously on building a sandcastle. After a moment, the Dog ran his dump-truck over the sandy structures, giggling as they collapsed.

"RRRRRRR! Errrrrrrrk! RRRRRRR! Errrrrrrrrk!" Shigure ran his dump-truck back and forth over the mound of sand happily, flattening it.

"Shigure, stop it," Hatori replied gravely, sitting on his heels and folding his arms as he cast the young Dog a very grown-up glare for someone so small. That was something else 'Tori-san could do very well: glare. Ayame practiced in the mirror every morning, but he never seemed to get the same results.

Shigure looked up, wide dark eyes laughing and full of mischief. "But Ha-chaaaaan! Your building wasn't safe!"

And then, suddenly, the dump truck was yanked out of Shigure's hands. "Then your truck is unsafe. And I'm impounding it," Hatori said, placing the toy beside him.

Ayame didn't know what "impounding" meant, and he wasn't sure if Shigure knew, but they weren't about to ask the Dragon, especially since he was already busy rebuilding the castle Shigure had demolished. Hatori knew all sorts of big words, like "impounding" and "instigate" and "consequences." However, the little Dog was undaunted. Shigure had never had any trouble finding things with which to amuse himself, and so his attention shifted to the Snake, who was presently dusting a beetle from the top of his shoe, scowling at it.

"C'mon, Aya-chan!" he said brightly, grabbing the Snake's hand and tugging him to his feet. "Let's go do something FUN." He paused to stick his tongue out at the Dragon, who was presently ignoring him. "Fun WITHOUT Ha-chan."

Aya smiled brightly and stood, taking his cousin's hand, when Shigure's dark eyes widened suddenly and he gasped. "Uh oh."

Ayame looked down when he heard his cousin, his own eyes widening when he saw what had caught Shigure's attention.

"Ha-chan, Ha-chan, Ha-chan! Aya-chan had an accident," the young Dog breathed.

This had, in the past, been enough to send little 'Gure-chan into fits of laughter and silly dances, which would carry on until the little Dragon conked him over the head with some toy or other. But now that Ayame was struggling to keep up with the other two boys, "accidents" were enough to make Aya's kaa-chan storm outside and sweep the Snake back in with her. Then there would be Yelling, and Aya-chan would not be allowed outside to play for the rest of the day.

Shigure couldn't let this happen, especially after Ha-chan had impounded his truck. The Snake was his only logical choice for a playmate at times like these. And now Ayame was looking down at himself, eyes filling with tears even as his lower lip trembled slightly.

"I didn't mean to..."

Hatori looked up, blue eyes going from Shigure to Ayame and back again. He regarded them in silence for a moment or two before carefully getting to his feet and dusting the sand from his hands and short-pants.

"Come on," he said, simply.

"Where're we going?" Shigure asked, trotting after Hatori as he tugged the teary-eyed Ayame along with him.

"Your house."

It wasn't long afterward that the three boys -- Ayame wearing freshly laundered short-pants -- were sitting on the front steps of the Dog's home, an empty plate nearby. There was a dusting of soybean powder on the platter, and the boys were licking the remnants of red bean paste as well as the white powder from their fingertips. When Shigure picked up the plate and went back inside, intent upon getting more daifuku buns from his mother, Ayame looked at Hatori.

"'Tori-chan, how did you know 'Gure-chan's kaa-chan wouldn't get mad?"

The little Dragon didn't answer right away, taking the time to lick at the corner of his mouth to get the last of a stubborn smudge of red bean paste.

"Because."

"Because /why/?"

Another long pause.

"Why, 'Tori-chan? Why?"

"Because Shigure still wets the bed."
Sign up to rate and review this story