Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha > Okaeri

Chapter Nine

by blackberry 0 reviews

After the end of their quest, Inuyasha and Kagome adjust to life in modern Tokyo. But there are still secrets in the past, and dangers in the present. And finding a place to call home may be the mo...

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Romance - Characters: Inuyasha, Kagome, Miroku, Sango, Shippo - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2006-08-12 - Updated: 2006-08-12 - 4087 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: Inuyasha and associated characters are the property of Rumiko Takahashi.
...
...
...

Chapter 9
...
...
...
...

Kagome squinted, her eyes sore and watering from the smoke billowing through the room, and tried to make out what was happening at the far wall. The howling chaos had subsided into an eerie silence, the pounding of her heart the loudest sound in her ears. Apprehension nearly as thick as the fumes choked her, and she was aware of a terrible jyaki rising. It was dark. The lights were out, and something more substantial than smoke was blocking the window over there. And worst of all, she couldn't see where Inuyasha was- Inuyasha, where are you?

The girl-now purified of the evil she had sensed- whimpered and twitched; Kagome held her tighter, afraid that she might somehow roll outside of the protective barrier she had put up almost by instinct. It was barely holding up to the strain of repeated assaults by their unknown assailant. Her skin burned and stung, her head ached. That attack-it's shouki, she realized. Before she'd been able to force it back with a barrier she had felt the burn of miasma, as potent as Naraku's. But that hadn't been his voice-

Suddenly, she saw the flailing whips of energy rushing out of the shadows again, towards her. With a yell, she flung up an arm, and light fountained out of her hand, striking the things-they hissed as her power touched them, and jerked back.

"It's futile, girl. You think you can stop me from taking what I want?" The odd, low voice came from the swirling gloom, and slowly the darkness receded as weak daylight filtered through the clouds of smoke and poisonous vapor. She now saw a figure silhouetted against the faint square of the window; it glided forward a slow step or two and paused.

For a moment Kagome wondered if she was dealing with another Noh mask. Out of the murk an extremely white, sharp-featured face loomed, framed by a long fall of impossibly straight black hair. Obsidian eyes gleamed beneath the pallid brow, and the red mouth was frozen in a small, malicious smile. The effect was rigid and unnatural.

But this was no artificial construct as the mask had been. This was a powerful demon, judging from the surge of jyaki emanating from the figure. A female figure; a swift impression of formal, ornate costume flashed through Kagome's mind, elaborate and museum-perfect. Black layered upon black; red-orange patterns flickered at the hem like flames, with a thin line of scarlet burning at the V of the throat. It was flawless, and jarring in the wrecked and smoldering hospital room.

The dark eyes glittered in the red light of the energy surrounding her. "Come, give her up, miko. I might even let you live if you drop your pathetic little barrier and surrender. My patience is short."

"I told you, you can't have her. We'll stop you!" Kagome's voice was rough from the smoke she had breathed, and she was nearly exhausted. She desperately flicked a glance to the side, and through the dissipating smoke could now see Inuyasha down on the floor, struggling to raise himself up. /Inuyasha! /He still gripped Tessaiga, its enormous length glinting dully. Kagome was horrified to see that the hair on one side of his head was matted with blood, and he was moving too slowly-

"Oh, yes. You and your /dog/." The demon's still face cracked; it twisted with loathing as she directed her gaze at the hanyou. "I'm not some sniveling kit to fear a mongrel." With that she suddenly moved, flinging a burst of shouki at Inuyasha.

She cried out in warning, but somehow he brought up Tessaiga to block- the shouki burned away on contact with the sword, splashing to either side of him. Kagome shrank away instinctively though protected by her barrier, still holding up. She heard his low growl.

"You'd better be afraid of me, you damned bitch." He was on his feet now, holding the sword in a guard position, his blazing eyes not leaving the whey-faced creature. Tessaiga was changing, becoming brighter, individual glints of scales appearing along its surface. "Kagome. Grab that brat and get out of here."

"I think not. I will take my property-now." Faster than Kagome could react, the woman was moving, the whips lashing directly for her. But Inuyasha was there, leaping in front of her to intercept the blow. He wasn't quite fast enough. Some of the things evaded him to strike Kagome's barrier with a sizzle and crash that reverberated through her skull- she couldn't suppress a whimper at the jolt of pain she felt, and she felt her control slipping. But now he was rushing the demon with a furious roar, the great sword swinging in a deadly arc. The black eyes widened as Tessaiga inexorably swept towards her, despite her warding gesture- screamed as it connected-

And then nothing. She was gone.

Kagome blinked, warily keeping her battered defenses up as she probed the room with her senses, but it was clear; the only youki present was Inuyasha's. There was no longer any sign of possession in the girl either, who moaned a little, eyes tightly closed.

Inuyasha hurried to the broken window and stared out for a long moment, before spinning around, his expression reflecting anger and puzzlement. The smoke was clearing from the room swiftly now, and she winced at the destruction. Part of the back wall had blown out with the window behind him. She was suddenly aware of a siren blaring outside.

"Inuyasha?"

"She's gone. I don't know how the fuck she got away." He examined Tessaiga briefly; it lost its scaly appearance, and he sheathed it. "Tessaiga's barely warm, so I doubt I killed the bitch. She was pretty strong."

With a sigh of relief she dropped the barrier. Inuyasha quickly moved towards her, his expression concerned and intent. "Kagome. Are you hurt?"

Her dress was smudged with soot and singed by shouki, and her skin was reddened and smarting; she probably didn't look very good right now, but he looked just as bad /and /had what looked like a serious head wound. "That's my line. Let me see your head."

He snorted contemptuously, but sat down on the bed next to her anyway. "This is nothing, Kagome," he was saying as she leaned over to gently part the sticky hair below his right ear; the skin did seem to have sealed over already. "Damn that fucking bitch. You're all right?" He gripped her wrist, holding it away from him as his amber gaze pierced her. He reached up to touch her face gently with his other hand, his eyes not leaving hers.

"I'm alright, Inuyasha," she whispered, pinned by those fierce eyes.

"Um, excuse me."

Both of them looked down in surprise. The girl was awake, peering up at them in confusion. Her eyes lingered on Inuyasha's ears bemusedly. He abruptly released Kagome's arm and stood up.

Off-balance and awkward, Kagome attempted to gather her scattered thoughts, and cleared her throat. She managed to smile reassuringly down at the girl. "Ah, Michiko-kun, I presume?"

"Yes...who are you? Where are we?" She sat up, looking around the trashed room. "What happened?"

There were multiple sirens wailing outside now, and as she followed the girl's gaze to the gaping hole in the wall, it came to her suddenly that they'd been battling a monster in a large public hospital/- police, emergency crews, firemen, /somebody should be here any minute to investigate the damage. She hoped the other patients had been evacuated while they had been occupied. In the meantime, she did/ not/ want to explain why the boy with her had dog ears; his cap was long gone. Her wrap was still clinging to one shoulder; she whipped it off and thrust it at Inuyasha. "Quick, cover your ears." She ignored his grumbling as she faced the girl, who looked dazed.

Kagome touched her arm to draw her attention back, and said gently, "We're in Tokyo General Hospital. You've been here for a couple of weeks, unconscious." She heard distant voices now, coming closer. Inuyasha was watching the door as he tied the shawl around his head, his expression annoyed. "I'm... a miko. Your uncle contacted me and asked me to help you. He thought you had been possessed." Her face hardened for a moment. "He was right."

Michiko stared at her, stunned, and suddenly her face crumpled and she began crying. "Yes! It said it would kill them all if I told- said it would kill me if I didn't do what it wanted-" she broke off, sobbing.

"Shh- it's all right... you're safe now..." Kagome gathered the girl into her arms, stroking her hair soothingly. The sound of men's voices coming their way was getting louder. She looked over her shoulder at Inuyasha; he was looking a little uncomfortable, arms crossed over his chest, but his ears and the blood-matted hair were adequately concealed under the wrap. He looked back at her, an eyebrow raised eloquently.

"We'll leave soon, Inuyasha. I think we're about done here."

"I'll say you are!" A sweating man-wearing a suit, not hospital scrubs- appeared in the doorway, flanked by a policeman and a fireman. She guessed he was a hospital administrator. All three gaped at the wreckage and the smoking hole that used to be the window. As they watched, a piece of masonry broke off from where it was dangling above the window, and fell, bouncing once off the bottom of the remaining window frame with a crack before tumbling outside. There were several shrieks from outside and down, and a thump when the chunk landed. All of them winced, and the suited man rounded on them angrily. "What the hell is going on here! Who are you?!"

Kagome got up swiftly, placing herself in front of Inuyasha who had tensed at the perceived threat, and took a deep breath. /Miroku, if you can hear me, help me now. /She hoped to have a fraction of the cool glibness he had usually displayed. Reaching into a pocket, she pulled out a business card and offered it to the man, endeavoring to project more confidence than she felt.

"We're representatives of the Higurashi Shrine," she said as smoothly as she could. "This was an exorcism."

"An exorcism?" the man sputtered. He waved his arm at the remains of the room. "An exorcism! Tell it to the insurance company! Look at this damage! Who's going to pay for all this?"

She smiled, the picture of calm professionalism. "Our client, Mr. Kitamura."
...
...
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
...
...
This is sort of like being in the Sengoku Jidai, Kagome mused a couple of hours later, another paper cup of tasteless coffee warming her hands as she watched the cleanup crew coming and going from her vantage in the waiting area, near the nurses' station./ We come into the village, kill the monster, and move on- leaving the villagers to clean up the mess./ Of course, trouble had always found /them, /so it was best to move on quickly, but still...

As it turned out, they stayed a bit longer than expected. The police officer, after goggling at the room, remembered his job and asked Kagome to give him a statement about what happened. She readily agreed and she, the officer, and Inuyasha headed out to the waiting area where it was a bit quieter, though not much. The place was swarming with cops and firefighters. Michiko had been hustled off by several doctors and nurses for an examination; she gave Kagome and Inuyasha a plaintive look as she went.

While the officer went off for a few minutes to get some coffee, Kagome pulled Inuyasha aside. "Let me do the talking," she said, giving him a warning look. "I can't tell these people all the details, and I don't want them taking a good look at you either. If he asks you, say you were knocked out and didn't see anything. And don't say yes if they ask if you want medical attention."

"Fine." He shrugged, disinterested. "Whatever. As long as we can get the hell out of here soon."

They were approached by an EMT, a middle-aged, motherly woman, before the officer got back with the coffee; Inuyasha refused treatment with a grunt and a shake of his head, but Kagome accepted an offer of help for the light burns and small cuts she had. As the woman calmly applied disinfectant and bandages under Inuyasha's close and suspicious scrutiny, the officer got back. He seemed a little overwhelmed, staring back in the direction if the room; he seemed to remember where he was when he looked at her and sat down slowly, belatedly handing her one of the two cups he had brought back. Regarding her cautiously, he brought out his notebook and asked her to describe what had happened.

Again she invoked Miroku, and without revealing Inuyasha's true role, she coolly composed a story as close to the bizarre truth as she could. Why not tell at least that part of the truth? she thought grimly. They would find out soon enough that there was no trace of explosives or gas. It was a youkai, here in Tokyo, which had done the damage. Jii-chan would certainly feel vindicated.

It seemed that the officer was buying it, too; he was sweating and nervous after she proceeded to tell him that a powerful demon had possessed the girl and had nearly killed her, and that she, a miko, had vanquished it after a terrible struggle. Inuyasha's conspicuous yawns of boredom appeared to unnerve him further. Clearly attempting a semblance of routine professionalism, he asked for a description of the perpetrator. When she calmly told him that the demon had a chalk white face, formal black kimono, long black hair, and red magic tentacles and miasma coming out of her hands, he dropped his pen.

He managed to pick it up and feebly finish his questions, ending with their names and contact information, and fled quickly. The EMT had sat through her recital, eyes wide; when the officer got up, she did as well. She asked rather perfunctorily if either of them needed any other help, and when politely refused, she took herself off quickly.

Kagome saw her make a beeline to some hospital personnel and upon reaching them started talking excitedly with an air of urgent gossip to impart. Kagome hastily jerked her face away when the group turned as one to look at her. Embarrassment, fury and despair chased through her, and she couldn't suppress an angry sobbing breath. It was one thing to have people stare at me in the Sengoku Jidai...but this is home...where I could just be Higurashi, another high school student. Her stomach churned as she thought of the way people at school had avoided talking to her today. Was this how it was going to be?

Inuyasha leaned over to peer into her face, brows furrowed in concern. "Kagome? You okay?"

"I'm fine." She had to get a grip on herself. She swallowed the sourness in her mouth, and drew a deep breath to quell the constriction in her throat. "It's nothing," she said, and forced herself to smile. His expression got darker.

"It's not fucking /nothing/," he growled. "What the hell is wrong? And don't give me that fake smiling bullshit."

She looked at her feet, ashamed, her resentment and despondency ebbing. She was getting upset over people staring at her, when he had gotten hurt. "I'm sorry to worry you, Inuyasha," she whispered. "I just didn't want to be... different, here in my time."

He stared at her, then turned and looked over at the knot of people whispering and peering curiously at them. "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU STARING AT?" he snarled, glaring at them angrily. All of them recoiled, and with several frightened apologies they hurried off in different directions, scattering like a flock of chickens.

He turned back to her, ironic amusement in the set of his face. "Kagome, ignore those shitheads. Assholes like that staring at you-it's not worth worrying over."

She smiled weakly back at him. "You're right." He would know, wouldn't he, she thought suddenly, and felt doubly ashamed of worrying over something as minor as being gawked at. Why should she care? She wasn't alone, after all. She beamed at him gratefully, and was gratified to see a small, fleeting smile in answer.

With a sigh, she pushed herself to her feet. "I guess we can go now, huh?"

"About damn time," he grumbled as he stood up.

No sooner had they gotten up when Mr. Kitamura, Michiko's uncle, came into view, haggard and disheveled. He headed towards them with an exclamation of relief. Inuyasha cursed, but stood and waited with Kagome for the man.

"I'm so glad you're all right! The explosion was all over the news, and I thought- but is Michiko-" He looked at Kagome almost fearfully.

"She's fine," Kagome said quickly. "You were right, Kitamura-san. It was a demon."

Kitamura staggered, his face paling, but steadied himself immediately. "But she's all right?" he asked, looking anxiously from Kagome to Inuyasha. "What happened?"

"Well, the room took some damage, but she's fine, and the demon is gone," Kagome began. "There's something you should know, Kitamura-san-"

"Uncle!" Michiko was running towards them, her face reflecting the relief on his. When she reached them he swept her up in a tight hug, his eyes squeezed shut. He set her down, and looked back at Kagome, his eyes moist. "How can I ever repay you?"

"Um, my grandfather will talk to you about that. But I think I'd better tell you-"

"Are you Kitamura?" The hospital administrator was advancing on them now irately, accompanied by two grim-faced, suited men.

"Yes?" He looked at them inquiringly, as Kagome wished she could somehow disappear.

"This.../person-" a wave of his hand indicated Kagome-"says that /you will be responsible for the damages not covered by the hospital's insurance policy. Which, I am told," and he nodded to the men with him, "will be considerable. Will you come with us to inspect the damage? Please," he added punctiliously.

Kitamura gaped at the man for a moment, and then looked rather helplessly at Kagome; she gave him an apologetic shrug. "All, all right," he mumbled, and started going with them. He looked over his shoulder. "Please wait for me, Higurashi-san. I must speak with you."

With a sigh, she nodded assent and went to get another cup of coffee. Michiko sat with them, quietly following the bustle and motion in the room, and Inuyasha perched on a chair with a curse. "I thought we were fucking leaving, Kagome."

"In a bit," she told him soothingly. "Hopefully it won't take long."

She settled down to wait, and slipped into her woolgathering about the feudal age as she watched the disturbed-anthill activity all around them. She snapped out of it when Kitamura finally appeared, looking drained. She got up, concerned.

"Kitamura-san? Are you all right?"

"Er, yes, Higurashi-san. That's...a lot of damage in the room..." he looked dazed and pale. He focused on her. "But I'm glad you're all right. All of you." He straightened up and gave her a keen look, which he slid over to Inuyasha. He looked back at her. "I would like to know the details of what happened, of course."

Kagome felt pretty drained at this point; she wanted, badly, to go home. Inuyasha snorted impatiently at her elbow. "Certainly, Kitamura-san. But...could we possibly meet at some other time to discuss it?"

He looked at her, surprise and embarrassment flitting across his face. "Of course! Forgive me, you must need rest, I've just been so worried... but yes, perhaps we can meet at your shrine. Tomorrow afternoon?"

Another day of studying shot-and there's still the cache of treasure to go through... Trying not to let her resignation show, she said "Tomorrow afternoon, Kitamura-san."

"I'll be there too." Michiko's quiet voice surprised her; the girl was still sitting calmly, but her face bore a troubled expression. "I want to know what happened."

"I would like to hear what you have to say also, Michiko-kun," Kagome said quickly.

"I don't see why you can't, though it's a bit of a distance from your house. Did you want to go home tonight?" her uncle asked, a bit doubtfully. "I've spoken with your mother-she's on her way- she's anxious to take you home."

"No!" She stood up. "Uncle, please- can I stay with you?" She stared into his face, her expression fearful. "I don't ever want to go back to that house. I don't care what Mother says."

Kagome felt a frisson of reflected fear-the girl was right, though she didn't know why. "She shouldn't go back to that house, Kitamura-san. There's something wrong there."

Kitamura gave Kagome a searching look, but nodded decisively. "She can come home with me, then. It should be safe enough there." Michiko looked relieved and thankful, and he smiled at her. "I'll make excuses to your mother, dear. She can see you at my house, or not at all." His face set, he wished Kagome and Inuyasha a good evening.

Kagome took their leave then, with the promise to meet tomorrow. Inuyasha led the way at a brisk pace to a stairwell; Kagome didn't have the strength to argue about the elevator at that point anyway, and simply followed him. The stairs let out to a small garden, currently deserted, on the side of the hospital, and Kagome breathed in the cool night air thankfully. It was later than she thought; the dark was broken by the flickers of red and yellow lights from the police and emergency vehicles still present, and the floodlights of media trucks that had pulled up beyond them. Kagome shuddered, relieved that they had escaped before reporters had gotten into the building.

"Come on, Kagome." Inuyasha bent his knees, indicating his back. "Let's go home."

Gratefully, she climbed onto his back, and held on to his strong, solid shoulders; getting a firm grip on her legs, he sprang off into the night. She let herself sink into the warmth of his back, maintaining a good hold on the folds of his jacket, and was soothed by the familiarity and security of this mode of transport.

"Thank you, Inuyasha," she mumbled into his hair, as he touched down on a rooftop and launched himself again, a smooth repetition of leaps that ate the miles. How many miles had he carried her over the years? He was still carrying her, through danger and even her own weakness.

He bent his head slightly to briefly peer at her over his shoulder. "For what?" His attention returned to the next rooftop on their course.

"For coming with me...for being with me." Her eyelids were drooping, the warmth and comfort of his back sabotaging her efforts to stay alert and awake.

"Keh! You're an idiot if you think I'd let you go off by yourself to fight demons." His arms tightened around her legs, just a bit, and he shoved off the ledge he had lighted on with more force than necessary. They sailed through the night air, wind whistling, and Kagome smiled.

"I didn't mean just tonight." She closed her eyes, leaning her forehead against the back of his neck. "For all the times you've been there with me. Thank you."

They landed on the next rooftop, but instead of bounding on to the next, Inuyasha stopped, and slid her off his back gently. Surprised, she stood still as he turned to face her. And abruptly grabbed her in a fierce hug.

"I'll be with you as long as you want me to be," he growled in her ear, his arms tight around her. She tightened her arms in answer, and swallowed.

"Then stay with me forever."

The bright lights of Tokyo illuminated most of the skyline, but in the shadows of the rooftop they failed to gleam on the pair that kissed, wrapped in each other's arms, for a long time before regretfully pulling apart. Eyes shining in the dark, he offered his back and she climbed on, and they resumed their journey home.
...
...
...
TBC
...
...
...

A/N: For those not following events in the most current manga, the attack Inuyasha used is the "Dragon-scaled Tessaiga".


Sign up to rate and review this story