Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Chronicles

Wedding Bells!

by SwissWitch 0 reviews

Harry and Hermione get married!

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Humor, Romance - Characters: Arthur Weasley, Blaise Zabini, Draco, Dumbledore, Ernie, Flitwick, Fred, George, Ginny, Hagrid, Harry, Hermione, James, Justin, Kingsley, Lily, Lupin, Mandy Brocklehurst, Morag McDougal, Neville, Padma, Parvati, Professor McGonagall, Ron, Sirius, Ton - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2005-06-15 - Updated: 2005-06-15 - 9772 words

0Unrated

25.7.1998 / Harry


Well, that's it, folks! We've done it. All we can do now is wait for the results. 'Mione and I are already registered at Avalon Academy. We'll start our university courses on September 1st and until then we will do really nothing.

Did I say we'll do nothing? We've got a wedding planned and we've got a load of work on preparing for it, how could I think we'd do nothing? That preparation work starts to get on the nerves of both of us and we get a bit snappish at times. I'm glad that we have the location. Hogwarts grounds. We have the person to perform the wedding, which was very hard to decide, so in the end we wanted them both: Remus and Sirius. We have our best man and maid of honour. We have the guest list and we have replies from those who will attend. We don't want anything public, so there will be a Fidelius charm over the area during the whole wedding. The Secret Keeper will be Professor McGonagall. All of the people we have invited will be there, no one said they couldn't make it. We're most pleased about that and apparate to Hogsmeade to talk with Professor McGonagall about the seating arrangements. She asks how we would like the setting decorated. Hermione suggests a few things, which sound very nice to me. I gladly leave this part to the ladies anyway.

Then we have a very serious talk about the wedding traditions in wizarding weddings. We gather ideas and traditions from all the adult wizards we know and make a list from which we choose what we'd like to have for our ceremony. Another hard decision. It seems that wizarding weddings aren't religious. They're a very touching ceremony, but it's all about the relationship that the bride and groom have and about binding them together in a magical bond. There are about twenty bonding spells and we have to choose from them. We sit together with Remus and Sirius and ask them for advice.

"Which one or which ones should we choose?" Hermione asks.

"Basically don't choose anyone that could hurt one of you if you ever want to separate," says Remus.

That eliminates six of them. The remaining spells are quite different. Some put more weight on the fidelity, others more on the fertility and some others more on the health. Remus tells us that usually the couple chooses a combination of three of them.

"You probably haven't heard of many divorces in the wizarding world. That's partly because of those spells. If one of your bonding spells contains the fidelity part then you are much more aware of the needs of your partner and you will be enabled to react to that need. Both of you. The performer of the wedding will cast those spells on both of you and since we'll be two of us you might be careful, because they might turn out stronger if both of us cast them. Or you decide you want only one of us to cast them, of course."

Decisions, decisions. It seems to never end. Every night in bed we still discuss subjects that have to do with that blasted wedding. The catering is the smallest problem. We've talked with the house-elves at Hogwarts who really would be miffed if they weren't allowed to cook the dinner and bake the cake, so all we have to do is give them a list of the dishes we'd like to eat. Hermione of course is worried that we take some of their time to recuperate from the school year, but luckily one of them tells her to stop that and just enjoy the food she'd be getting and that they were so honoured to procure the wedding dinner for Mr. and Mrs Potter. She promises each of them ten galleons as an extra gift and thank you for their work and insists on it. They only accept when she threatens them to have a caterer from somewhere else altogether.

But in spite of the preparations for the wedding we have a wonderful time. Mid-July we get our results and we're all happy with ours. Everyone from our group has done very well again. No one is astonished that Hermione's scores are the highest again. She has a reputation to uphold. We're feeling quite accomplished in any case. Draco invites Parvati, Blaise and Padma to an extended holiday in France. They will be back for the wedding.

When 1st August finally draws near we get a bit skittish and only the final fitting of Hermione's robes, which I'm of course not allowed to see calms my soon to be wife down.

In between all of the preparations are Remus and Sirius who have to take care of their little ones. Seraina and Dennis are really cute. Dennis is a bit more lively, but I suppose that would be Siri's son! We have decided that Ginny and I would be godparents to Seraina and Hermione and Ron would be godparents to Dennis. I really love those two little buttons, as they are sweet and cuddly and I don't think that apart from sleeping with my lover there could be anything nicer than having a baby on one's arm. Seraina is so tiny, but she's growing as fast as her brother. I'll spoil these children rotten! Let Siri and Remus fix it through their parenting, I'll take the liberty of spoiling them. When I tell Remus and Sirius about that they grin and Sirius says:

"That's why children have grandparents and godparents, you know. We know we're the unpleasant guys who will have to say 'no' all the time. You go ahead and be the nice guy! But let me warn you. Once you have some of your own turnabout is fair game!"

He's really grown up! But we do baby-sit them so that Remus and Sirius get time for an extra nap or a shopping trip or simply to send them to go out sometimes. They haven't had anything of that sort in the past three years apart from that weekend in Montreux and their vacation in France last year. They are most thankful for that, too. So we all have our lessons in changing nappies and feeding the twins. It's all much easier than I thought and whoever thought a baby was made from glass is an idiot. They are quite solid actually and apart from taking care that their little heads are held up well we can play around with them quite nicely. Both love baths. Seraina loves singing. By the end of July she smiles at me when I hum a melody, regardless how off-key it may sound. She looks me straight in the eyes and smiles. What a wonderful feeling to be recognised now! Laying down she can turn from the back to the side and her tummy easily now and she looks up and grabs things. Siri says it's because her eyes are developing now, they get stronger and each day she can see a bit farther. Seraina's eyes are a velvety brown, very much like Hermione's. She has a shock of very light brown hair. I can't stop looking at her tiny hands and feet. One afternoon I'm giving her the bottle outside and when Hermione sits down next to me I look over to her for a moment and say:

"That's what expects us soon, my love."

"I'm glad for these two here, though. It helps us be a bit patient until we've finished our studies."

"Wouldn't it be fun if ours would be able to go to Hogwarts with them? Think of McGonagall's horror of having a Black, a Potter and a Lupin there at the same time again!"

She laughs.

"That's true! But who knows, I wouldn't put it past them that they produce a second batch in a few years. It will still be fun then!"

I have to laugh, too. Oh, Hermione, if you knew how much this little one makes me long for one of my own. If the feeling of holding this one who's my godchild, is so good, how much better will it be to hold my own on my arms? Every time I see Sirius or Remus lift one of them up I can see so much love in their eyes that I almost want to cry. I know it's maudlin, but it's how it makes me feel.

Back to the wedding. The plans are finished, the preparations almost done, Ron and Ginny are VERY secretive about some schemes of their own, I bet they are going to put us to shame badly, but what the heck, it should be fun. There are moments I curse this wedding, but then there are those moments when I can't wait! It's not even so much the thought of the knot that will be tied. Even with those bonding spells I think they cannot "make" a bond that isn't there already. I will believe that they enhance a bond though. I'm looking forward to the whole thing and I'll just take it as it comes.



31.7.1998


Finally a quiet birthday, no party, just quietly sitting together and having fun. The twins, Draco and Blaise tell us about their holidays. We share a few bottles of wine and a large plate with a large selection of cheese and things. Hermione has been to the bakery in Lützelflüh to get a lot of really nice flûtes. The crunchy bread, a bit of olive oil with loads of pressed garlic inside, the cheese, the wine and the good company make for one of the nicest birthdays so far. I have decided that I'm too grown for silly gifts now, the gift of the friendship and the time my friends spend with me is much more important.

Mandy is back after having left her parents for good. She's moved back into her room and will apparate to her job at the ministry, which will start on August 3rd. Remus has told her to get in contact with Amos Diggory who was glad to get someone who wanted to work at his department and so she got a job at the Werewolf Registry. She'll be working in the Support Unit. Blaise and Padma have come back from Padma's parents. Padma is also moving on to Avalon Academy with Hermione and I, she'll have her major in Transfiguration though. Parvati is going to St. Mungo's as a healer apprentice and Draco has already started to do something with the Weasley twins. Funny, that Draco has found the Weasley twins, but ever since we've been to the Aquamare together they are tossing around ideas after ideas for some crazy scheme. They seem to enjoy themselves a lot with those plans. If it makes any sense, Draco will back the twins up financially and will join them to work on the project. He doesn't need to work anyway, but he isn't as blasé anymore to just do nothing anymore. Morag wants to work herself through Muggle schooling, so she can teach at the Hogsmeade primary school. She's started a course through correspondence. She says it's fun. Blaise is going to come to Avalon Academy, too, he's in for Charms and so is Ernie. Ginny will also join us at the Academy, she wants to go for Charms and Potions. Justin and Ron have successfully applied for the Auror training. Lastly Neville has found a job as a herbologist at a wizarding gardening company in Hogsmeade.

So tonight is really a conversation about our prospects, about how we think we're going to build up our lives. We all have plans and Remus keeps encouraging us to make plans. He says the world will not stop turning if we change plans on the way as opportunities or situations may demand, but that we need to have ideas and goals to reach. For the next four years Hermione and I will learn a lot. Probably a whole lot of very old and rather cryptic stuff, but I'm actually looking forward to it. And to what I might get done better.

We will all apparate to Hogsmeade and fly over to Hogwarts on our brooms early tomorrow morning. Siri and Remus have their apartment prepared, I will get dressed in their bedroom, while Hermione gets dressed in the guest room. Winky will look after the twins for the time Sirius and Remus will be occupied with the ceremony. We are terribly nervous. But we've talked it all through. I didn't want a rehearsal, because I think this is something we want to experience firsthand, not scheduled to the last second. Who cares if the party isn't ready at exactly one o'clock? Who cares if the cake is rolled in two minutes early? No one. Hermione and I want a day that's important to both of us, not a perfectly choreographed stiff affair. We want our families and friends to accompany us to our life as a married couple and give us the start we all need: built on love, fun, friendship and happiness.

During the evening I drift in and out of the discussions. I turn to Hermione and ask her:

"Do you want us to walk up to the castle together tomorrow morning or do you think we should take the brooms?"

"The weather is supposed to be nice, so why not walk?" she says.

"Walk it is then. Afterwards we'll be off right away anyway..."

We plan to come and pick up our prepared luggage from here and immediately apparate to a wizarding resort in Fiji. We'll have two weeks for ourselves down there and should have a nice trip around as well as loads of time of lounging about on the beach.

But we're not there yet, I have to remind myself. Just before midnight I suggest we both go to bed.

"Yes, that's probably a good idea," she says.

We have discussed whether we want to spend the night apart, but have decided against it. I'm in no mood for drugging myself before my wedding, which is why I also forewent a stag night, and we see it no different from any other night. We are both quite tired though, so falling asleep is no problem. Both our wedding dress robes are already at Hogwarts, Remus and Sirius have already taken the twins there and will be waiting for us when we arrive. The others will apparate shortly before the ceremony is to start at one o'clock.

It's going to be a wizarding wedding from beginning to end. Mum and Dad, Barb and Housi will be the only Muggles and they have all four spontaneously asked if they would be allowed to wear robes as well. So Barb and Housi have travelled to Britain a couple of days ago and Sirius must have gone shopping with them at Gladrags Wizardwear. With thoughts like these I fall asleep.



1.8.1998 / Hermione


Mum and Dad have a Portkey to get to Hogwarts. Remus and Sirius have taken care of Housi and Barb already. Harry and I get up and take our shower together quickly. We are both very excited and a bit nervous, too, now. But this must be healthy according to my Mum. Mum said on the Commumirror yesterday that she's very curious as to how that wedding will be enacted and I said so am I. Neither Harry nor I have ever taken part in a wizarding wedding. From all the traditions everyone talked about we picked the ones we thought would fit to us and would be the most fun for us. Harry wants a fun wedding not a 'choreographed stiff affair' he says and I have to say I want that, too. And I know I've been thinking about wonderful weddings in white gowns and veils and everything, but now I can do well without the white gown. I'm looking forward to start dressing. Ginny and Ron will apparate up with us and then Ginny will coach me, while Ron has to sooth Harry's twitching nerves.

We eat breakfast together and then apparate to Hogsmeade. It's a beautiful day, crisp and cool, but sunny. I've been here yesterday to oversee the preparation of the site on the Hogwarts grounds, where the ceremony will take place. Since the weather forecast had been a bit unsure we picked the large courtyard next to the Great Hall. Our party is fairly moderate, there are of course a lot of our schoolmates from Gryffindor, Harry's team mates, the whole Weasley clan, some of the Hogwarts staff and lots of Aurors we have learned to know over the past years. I take Harry's hand. He looks down on me and smiles.

"We're really doing this, love," he says.

"Yes, love, we're really doing this. We'll enjoy a fun day, Harry. Together with so many friends! Would you have imagined anything like that when you rode the Hogwarts Express for the first time?"

"Never! I was still so caught up in the Dursleys' hatred and all. Is it really only seven years since then?"

"It is."

"Would you have thought of anything like this?"

"No. But we're so happy now..."

"We are!"

"I can't wait!" I say.

We reach the castle and go inside. Sirius is waiting for us in the Great Hall, as he promised. Also there at the teachers' table are Professors McGonagall and Flitwick. They give us a cheerful hello and we greet them back. Sirius hugs both of us and says:

"Come, sit down, you have at least another hour of time before you need to start get dressed!"

"You have no idea. It will take two hours to tame my hair!" I tell him.

He just laughs.

"You're a witch, for Merlin's sake, you can use magic for that, can't you?"

"I don't know, but for some reason magic and my hair combined always cause some kinds of accidents," I tell him.

But we take a seat for a while and chat with everyone there and then Sirius shows us the way to their suite.

"We have a lovely flight of rooms, three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room and a kitchen. It's on the ground floor. Through here!"

We follow through a tapestry and another solid looking wall and then through a long corridor. Then Sirius gives a door a password and lets us all inside. We are entering the large living room with a lovely large window and two bay windows and two window seats. Sirius and Remus have already furnished it nicely. Sirius points to some bookcases and explains with a small grin:

"Remus has used Dumbledore's duplication spell for his books, so he'll have them ready here as well as at the Sunnegg. Some of them are in here, most are in our office."

"This really looks very nice, Sirius!"

"Yes, all the teachers have very lovely quarters. Now, here's our bedroom, Harry - in there! And this one's the nursery for the moment and this one's the guestroom for the moment. Hermione, that's your corner. I'll monitor that Harry will be out of the apartment before you come out. Your Mum and Dad have a Portkey right in here, they should arrive shortly before one."

"Oh, that's good. I was a bit worried."

"They're doing fine, I've spoken with your Mum this morning. I'm really beginning to get used to your Commumirrors, you know..."

"That's great. I think that's kind of what I wanted."

Ginny and I get into the guestroom. Sirius has put a vanity in there, which I suppose he only added for my sake. I grin and since it's just shortly before noon Ginny gets to work. It will take some time to get my hair tamed. But then it's falling in a lovely braid on my back. Ginny has added morning glories to it, enchanted so they can't wilt before I take them off. The vines are artfully braided inside and she has managed to have leaves and flowers all on the top. I undress quickly and put on a pair of very lacy knickers, black and I'm putting on a garter on one leg. I plan to have one little muggle wedding tradition next to throwing the bride's bouquet. Then I wear an equally lacy black bra. I step into my shoes, which are ballerinas made from the same silk as my dress robes. The dress robes are made from finest silk, in a very lovely bluish purplish hue, a bit changing from one to the other colour and a perfect match with the morning glories. And my flowers are white roses mixed with morning glories.

Harry and I have picked the colours together, so that the dress robes fit with each other. His will be the purple that's flickering in mine, only a shade darker. The cut of mine is fairly simple. It's like I imagine those dresses the ladies wore in the middle ages, long, flowing, held together in the middle by an embroidered belt which hangs down at the front. The sleeves are fitting closely up to the elbows where they start getting wider until they end in a long triangular bit down from my elbows. This is the under-dress. It's covered with a purple tunic that's held together by the same belt. The tunic is in the same shade of purple as Harry's robes. Harry has bought me a fairly heavy gold chain. It has no precious stones, but is made so intricately that stones would have been a distraction. Now the chain falls prominently over the dress. With the lovely braid and the flowers in it I think I'm decorated just fine. I turn to Ginny.

"I like it," I say.

"That's the spirit, Hermione, meaning you like yourself right now. What better attitude to go into a partnership like marriage than that? If you'd hate yourself how could anyone else like you?"

"Actually I hated myself a lot for a good long time. You know, the buck teeth and the bushy hair... now that the teeth are just fine I find that the hair really isn't such a great problem. I could cut it after all, if I hated it so badly. But Harry likes it."

Ginny smiles. She's getting dressed rather quickly, I think, but she looks so lovely. She's wearing a marine blue set of silk dress robes, which Harry and I have given her and it's lined with gold everywhere and has gold embroideries on her chest, the collar and the sleeves. The belt outlining her tiny waist is a gold wire chain as well. It's cut in a similar fashion like mine, but still entirely different. She's wearing her coppery hair open except for a few strands outlining her face, which she gathers on the top on the back of her head with a small gold clip. Ernie has given her the clip and it looks like a very lovely bit of jewellery. I only heard about it yet, but now I can see it for the first time.

"Oh, Ginny, that clip is just lovely. And are these tiny sapphires on it?"

"Yes, which is why it fits these dress robes so perfectly. You know, you'll be the dashing bride, but I'll be the quite dashing maid of honour," she says and giggles a little.

I have to giggle, too. Then I reply:

"Well, I'm firmly in Harry's hands now, so I don't need to be the really dashing one, after all I'm off the 'marriage market' now. You can be as dashing as you want to be, love!"

Now we're both in fits of laughter. It's not entirely true anyway, because Ginny seems to still be so happy with Ernie I don't think they're going to break up anytime soon. I'm amazed at how well the couples held that were formed all the way back in fifth year. I suppose it's because we really had a lot of support and understanding. I look at the clock and notice it's almost time. Just then I can hear a crack and then voices. Ginny looks up, too, and says:

"Let me go and check. It's probably your parents. I'll send your Dad in as soon as it's time for you to come out, okay?"

"Yep, that's fine. See you then!"

She leaves and the minutes tick by endlessly slow. Then there's a knock on the door and my Dad pokes his head around to say:

"Hey, darling, are you ready? - Wow!"

"Hi, Dad! Did you get here well? - Oh, you look great in those robes!"

"You think so? They feel strange, but I think it will be nicer among all those robe clad people. And you don't look great, you look splendid! As does Ginny, by the way. That coppery hair with those dark blue robes, dashing," he says in what I quickly recognise as my own way of talking very fast.

"Yes, she looks that. She's a beauty, don't you think?"

"And has the brains and heart to go with it, like you do."

"Thanks, Dad..."

I'm not protesting about not being a beauty for once. This is my wedding, so I'm going to suck up all the compliments I get with big "thank-yous" and leave it at that.

"Ready?" he whispers.

"Ready," I reply firmly.

"I've seen Harry, he's out there already. Wherever it takes place..."

"Inner courtyard. Similar to this one only a lot larger..."

I point to the window, which goes out on another courtyard with a lawn and a stone tiled path around it. Actually the path is really an arcade which makes it look like a cloister. I think I already like that place and I'll have to visit some.

We check the watch. Then the door opens and Ginny comes in.

"Okay. Off we go! Ron is waiting at the door to the courtyard for us and will join us there. Harry is already biting his nails at your place in front of the audience."

"You're being evil, love! Don't let me start biting MINE!"

"Nah, you'll do no such thing, Hermione. Let's go."

Dad offers his arm and I take it. He smiles down at me and remarks:

"I think it's nice that wizards also have the bride come to the groom with her father. It's nice to actually give you away to your future husband. I wouldn't let you go so easily, but first of all I know that you are well capable to look after yourself and I know that the lad waiting out there for you and biting his nails is a wonderful young man. You two will be a great couple, you know."

"Thank you, Dad! You know that I'll always love you and Mum, don't you?"

"Yes, Hermione, that's another reason why I have no problems seeing you getting married this early. Normally I would have recommended for you to wait, but I can see that the two of you fit together perfectly. Add to that the fact that you are both equals. Intelligent, powerful and financially independent. You'll be very good."

While he talks we have started to move out of the room and out of the deserted apartment. I lead the way out of the corridor and Dad trembles when he sees the wall and that I'm walking straight ahead at it. I grin and give the wall the password. It quietly disappears and then we move on to the tapestry. I think he expects another password, but I'm guiding him straight through it. He turns back and mumbles:

"Something like that barrier at King's Cross Station?"

"Yep. Though this one here is more complex, so that even the magical students are fooled. Anyone can get through, but then there's the wall."

"I see, so that's to guard the teachers' privacy, I take it?"

"Exactly. This was Remus' and Sirius' new chambers. And Seraina's future room."

"Ah."

Silently we walk through the halls and it's a bit creepy, because it seems that this is a dead place. We reach the Great Hall and while we enter I remind Dad to look at the enchanted ceiling. Today it's just blue with a brilliant sun and only a few tiny clouds.

"Impressive," he says.

"It is, isn't it? It's an amazing view. I really loved this place. It was like home."

"You say this is where you ate?"

"Yes. There are four long tables along it and up there's the teachers' table. In place, because many teachers stay here full time and they eat their meals here together. Over there is the Gryffindor table. Then the Hufflepuff, the Ravenclaw and on the other end the Slytherin table."

"No wonder you loved this boarding school. Not that we would have sent you in any of those if it wouldn't have been for the fact that you're a witch, Hermione."

"I know. I'll be thankful for your understanding until my dying day, Dad."

"Shush! That's too long from now, hopefully."

I laugh. He's got such a practical sense in most things. Then we reach the double door to the courtyard, where Ron, dressed in marine blue dress robes holds us up.

"Hi there! You look smashing, Hermione! They're not all seated yet, but they're all outside, so it's just a moment yet."

"Okay."

We wait. Ron travels in and out. I peek through and see Harry standing in front of the seats for the guests. Ours are set a bit further away and I can see Sirius and Remus in their newest dress robes, silver for Siri and gold for Remy, standing next to Harry. They seem to be speaking with the people in the first row. Harry looks spectacular in that dark purple fabric. He looks so serious even when he laughs at something Sirius seems to have said.

In the middle of my musing I see them breaking up and taking their positions. Harry straightens up and stands in front of his chair. The area has been decorated with a few poles, decorated with lots of morning glories, a gauzy white canopy connecting the poles and what seems like a constant stream of tiny glittery bits. Ron joins us again and says:

"Okay. You two ahead, Ginny and I right behind you."

Dad lends me his arm again, I can see Ron doing the same for Ginny and then we hear the music starting with a jazzy march theme Harry and I have selected. Ron opens the door magically and Dad and I fall into step and slowly walk out. I think I have a permanent smile plastered on my face and my heart beats so fast I'm sure Dad can hear it.

I know that at this moment Professor McGonagall places the Fidelius charm over the whole courtyard so that no one else will be able to break into the party.

Behind us Ron and Ginny move on as well. We reach the last row of chairs and some of our guests and then the next and the next... and it seems like I'm in front in no time. Harry looks at me and he has that same grin on his face that seems to mirror mine. He reaches for my hand as I let go of Daddy's arm. Dad winks and steps back to sit next to Mum in the front row. I take a deep breath. The music starts to wear down and Sirius, in front of us, asks:

"Ready?"

We both nod.

"Good. Just a moment."

The music stops and Sirius and Remus move to the middle of the canopy covered area. Sirius starts to speak:

"In the name of the bride and the groom I would like to welcome you all to this gathering. You all know the drivel so I just have to say a few words: I've been incredibly honoured by the wish of my godson and his bride to lead today's ceremonies together with my bondmate. Since we haven't ever done this before we both decided to go our own way. Remus will be Hermione's guide and I shall be Harry's guide. We both will guide them through the rites that will bind them together. Nothing is written in stone, so I say hopefully for the rest of their lives."

Then Remus takes the next step in asking:

"Again according to old tradition I will ask the question that must be asked by law in the wizarding world: If anyone objects to these two people bonding, then they may step up and state their concerns or remain silent forever."

He gives this question a full minute and since of course all remain silent he smiles and says:

"Then let us proceed with the rites. Though it may sound boring for many of you I have to explain that we have some Muggle guests among us who do not know about the way a wizarding wedding takes place. Bear with us explaining some of the rites."

Sirius speaks again:

"Sermons are not strong points of my bondmate and I, so we thought of just saying a few short words about living together as you are going to do from now on, Hermione and Harry. You have already been able to collect a bit of experience in that for a while, but you will soon learn that there is a slight difference from the way you've lived together until now and how you will be together from on today. So far you have been two independent people in love. Now you will become bondmates. At first you will sail on the clouds of your love bound together for good, and then you will notice that everyday life will take over. It's then you will have to work for your bond to remain intact. It's then you will feel most used and tired and irate. It's then you will find your bond to be the very thing that can save you. But even though we will bind you magically, everyday life is so profane that no magic can help you keep up, only the love you feel in your souls for one another. In short, you will have to work on it, every day and every night of your life. Love is something so very precious you cannot but cherish and nurture it as if it was the most fragile thing you will ever encounter in your lives.

Do not be afraid of that. Because love is fragile, but it is at the same time one of the strongest things. It is said that with love you can shatter mountains. While that might not be called for you will nevertheless need all your love to shatter the mountains of any normal day. Remus and I know - at the latest since the day our twins were born."

There is a slight laugh of all the people in the crowd who are parents.

"I can see that there are some people who agree with me. But I let Remus continue."

Remus looks at us.

"While Sirius has talked about the perils of everyday life I'd like to speak of the heavens of those precious days when you will be able to celebrate your love undisturbed. Yes, sometimes it can be a bit hard to get away from all of that and actually find time for each other. But if you manage don't restrain yourselves. Live and celebrate that love with every fibre in your body and every wisp of your souls and every cell of your brains. These moments will become milestones, whether you get them every night or only once in a while. There will be times you get not the slightest bit of a chance to take that time. I know from experience how frustrating that is and I also know from experience how difficult it can be to just let go of that frustration and give and take when the time finally comes. So let me remind you of all the ways you can get there.

A hot scented bath. A glass of wine. Soft music. Candlelight. Five minutes of cooling down and meditating before you even get together. A bit of something to pick off a plate together.

And of course never underestimate chocolate!"

This time there's a whole crowd of people who laugh. Remus has a smile on his face that I just love! He can be witty and he's still sometimes that mischievous boy Sirius describes to us. Their speech has taken away some of our tension. I can feel that they really want to tell us something useful and at the same time put us at ease. Sirius takes over again.

"Now we shall proceed to the binding spells cast over Hermione and Harry. There will be three of them and they are the standards I think. For our Muggle friends I will quickly explain what happens now. There is a first spell that will enhance their health. The second spell they have chosen is one that will make them share fun. And the third spell they have chosen is a spell to raise their awareness for possible dangers around them and in their relationship. None of these spells can create something that isn't already inside of them. All they can do is enhance their natural talents in the respective discipline.

These spells require to be cast by five people. Ron, Ginny and Albus Dumbledore have volunteered to cast them.

Hermione, Harry, would you please join us here in the middle?"

Harry and I get up and we notice that Remus, Sirius, Ron, Ginny and Dumbledore are standing around us in a pentagon. They cast the spells synchronically one by one. We are covered in red and gold sparks and until these sparks have vanished completely we have to remain on the spot. Then Ron and Ginny step back a bit, while Dumbledore returns to his place in the first row. Remus and Sirius shift, so that Remus now stands in front of me and Sirius in front of Harry. It's time for our vows. We have chosen a few simple lines for those.

"Turn to each other," Remus says softly, "Then take your hands."

We look into each others eyes as we speak the words slowly and together. We can see that Sirius and Remus both hold their wands over us and more sparks are flowing over us. I shiver. The bonding seems to take place right now and while Harry and I exchange our vows Remus and Sirius whisper more spells. Once we're through the vows, Sirius calls Ron:

"Please pass them the rings."

They are lying on a small dark blue cushion. Ron stands to my side and levitates it out to Harry. Harry puts the ring on my finger, still staring straight into my eyes. Ron offers me the other ring. I pick it up and put it on Harry's finger. We don't wait for anyone to tell us, we step up, embrace and kiss. Then we turn back to our guests.

"Let us introduce Mr. and Mrs Harry James Granger-Potter. They have now been bonded in front of their friends and families as well as their chosen witnesses to their marriage. May you both be blessed with a long and happy life together. This marriage is now entered into the Ministry's Book of Marriage. We ask the newly wed couple and their witnesses to step into the house with us to sign the respective papers now," Remus and Sirius say together.

I find the ability to breathe returning to me. There is music again and we are asked quietly from behind to walk through the aisle back inside the Great Hall. Ron and Ginny follow, then Remus and Sirius and slowly we reach the end of the rows of chairs. We enter the Great Hall and Sirius guides us to the small chamber behind the teacher's table. A short man in black robes has followed us from the crowd and we await him inside of the chamber. He brings a scroll of parchment forth, which he unrolls and puts on one of the tables in the room. Remus produces a quill and hands it to me.

"You need to sign here, Mrs Potter," the man says.

Oh, how unusual it is to be called this for the first time. I pick up the quill and sign my name, Hermione Granger-Potter, then pass the quill to Harry. He signs and hands the quill to Ginny who signs her name next, then Ron and finally Remus and Sirius add their names as masters of the ceremony.

I'm touched to tears! It's over and we can move on to the cheerful part of celebrating, but it has certainly been the most moving thing I've ever gone through in my life. I kiss Harry again and he pulls me into his arms.

"Let's go meet our guests, Mrs Potter," he says with a grin.

"I'd be happy to, Mr. Potter," I reply.

He kisses me and admits:

"I needed to say that to you, love. I need to know it's real and has actually happened!"

I nod and understand perfectly well. We're married. We've certainly bonded long ago, but now I know what Sirius meant by talking about this feeling that would be different from until now. We are adults, fully responsible for our own lives and what we would make out of them. We turn to Remus and Sirius who are watching us and I think I detected a few tears in their eyes. It's the cutest thing! Both pull us into hugs and Remus whispers:

"All the best to you, my girl. You know that you've been a daughter for me for a long time now, don't you?"

"Yes, Remus, I've had that feeling. Now you're my father-in-law, so to speak and you have no idea how happy that makes this wolf here!"

He laughs. Then twinkles and says:

"Fancy a run through the forbidden forest now?"

"Would love to!"

"Some other time. But the September moon would be great!"

"September moon it is!"

He gives me another tight hug and kisses my cheeks. I hold him tightly. I know I have loved him since the days he's been my teacher in our third year. Now I can freely admit it.

"Love you, Remus! Be there for us for a long time still, please!" I whisper.

"I will."

Then I move on to Sirius. He holds me and says:

"It's good to have a new Mrs Potter, Miss Granger! I'm so happy for you I could burst. It's unbelievable that you've done it so early, but let me tell you that I thought it was even more right than when James and Lily got married. You two have been the best of friends for so long and you know each other inside out already. Everyday life is not going to intimidate you much anymore."

"Thank you, Siri. I love you, just as much as I love Remus, you're both wonderful and as I've just told Remus: be there for us for a long time still. Just like we'll be there for you."

"You saved my soul, Hermione. Not to speak of my arse, but without you and your time-turner I'd be worse than dead since then. Meeting you was probably the greatest bit of luck I've met with in my life apart from meeting and loving Remus."

"Think nothing of it, Padfoot. You're too great to be lost to the world."

Then there are Ron and Ginny who wait for their hugs and they receive it, hugging us both. I hear a sigh from Harry and it sounds so vulnerable, but so sweet! I take his hand again as we return to the courtyard. The Ministry official takes his scroll and bids goodbye.



Harry


I take a deep breath and look at that woman who is now my wife. Dad, wherever you are, I do hope you've seen this and I do hope you and Mum approve. I have never been this hilariously happy in my life. It seems as if the years at the Dursleys and their cruel ways have completely vanished. Not even the threat that was Voldemort counts anymore. I've spent almost three years with this wonderful being next to me and they have been three years of bliss. I will never be able to name all the things Hermione is for me. I know of a few that I am for her. It's wonderful to discover new things. Like studying together at the Academy. Avalon Academy has accepted us with more than just pleasure. We've met some of our future professors and they are all honoured to have such a gifted student joining the Academy as Hermione. She's already made an impression on them, not the least through the invention of her Commumirrors.

The next hour passes with greeting all of our guests. We meet them and share a few words with all of them. Then we find that the house-elves have set up a lovely table with refreshments of all sorts. I remember to eat a few bites, before I finally dive into the champagne. I know there will be a flood of alcohol in the next few hours and we have prolonged the time to take all of that stuff in as we've set the start of the festivities that early. But I've wanted to have as much as possible of the day. The early afternoon is meant to mingle and be able to talk with everyone and share fun and laughter or also more serious conversations, just as opportunities come up. The moment we are through with the greeting of our guests, Sirius and Remus quickly dash to Winky and pick up Seraina and Dennis. The twins have taken a nap in a quiet corner. It quickly gets time to feed them their mid-afternoon bottles. Winky has them with her and they heat them magically. Mum is standing close and wants to see the children.

"Oh, they're so cute! Well done, both of you!" she says.

"Thanks, Helen! They're great for us, even though we're already dog tired. But they're so much fun!" Sirius says with a grin as he shifts Seraina on his arm, so she can look over his shoulder. He summons her bottle and heats it with a quickly muttered spell.

"Now that is practical! If you can't do it the natural way this must be the most practical way to give them a bottle. No waiting needed!"

"No, and we're pretty glad for that, because their nightly concerts are fairly unpleasant. So if we can actually feed them at once we're quite happy."

He sits down on one of the chairs in the last row and offers the bottle to Seraina. She starts to suckle and he smiles down at her.

"My sweet little one. How lovely you are and how well you do this already. Hold the bottle yourself? Just grab it tightly. I'll help you. Mm, nice stuff?"

I look over his shoulder and see his interaction with the baby. Seraina is a very lively little girl on Siri's arms and she's the placid doll on Remus'. I've found out that the difference in their styles doesn't seem to faze either child. They just learn that Remus does things like this and Sirius does them like that and that there are a few aunties and uncles who do them yet differently. But the behaviour they show when they're with Remus or Sirius is different, too, and I find that completely fascinating. When Remus holds them on his arm they look inquisitive, contemplating and interested. If they are with Sirius they look curious, active and even a bit mischievous. I walk back to Hermione and nudge her.

"Have you ever noticed that the twins mirror Remus' or Sirius' temperaments when they are with either of them?"

"Yes, I have. It's cute, isn't it? They seem perfectly fine with that."

"Mhm. It's really sweet."

We are not getting much time for ourselves on that afternoon, but we're standing together all the time. It's the first time I don't feel exposed or unwell being the centre of attention. Whenever I need to I can feel Hermione's hand in mine or the ring. We get background music and the Weasley twins have a few funny surprises. Of course I know that they have prepared a firework for the night, but that's not quite everything. To see Draco with them makes them more dangerous than ever and I know that several people throw wary glances in their direction, especially Mrs Weasley and Professor McGonagall.

During the afternoon we see people turning into the most surprising things. It's certainly the twin's doings, but neither Hermione nor I can work out quite how they manage it. At first. All of a sudden there's a tiny ball flying in my direction and my Quidditch reflexes intact I grab it. Only to change into a feather duster for the duration of roughly a minute. After she's done being shocked Hermione just stands in front of me and laughs her head off. I look a bit put out when I come around, I think, but she just grins and kisses me. Then she puts my robes back in order and cleans them. I turn to look for Fred, George or Draco, but I think they're already on the lookout for their next victim.

At five the house-elves start to set up the tables for the dinner. The chairs make space for the tables or better the one table, which is a large circle big enough to seat everyone. Hermione and I get to sit under the canopy, with Ginny and Ernie next to Hermione and Ron and Justin next to me. Ginny sits next to Remus and Sirius, then it's Hermione's parents. Hermione and I sit down and look around. The table is beautiful. A blue cloth covers it, the same colour as the blue in Hermione's robes. It's decorated with white roses and morning glories. The golden Hogwarts dishes gleam on it and even the cutlery is gold tonight. We don't have goblets for once, but crystal glasses with gold rims.

The menu has been kept a secret and apart from Hermione and I no one knows what they will get to eat. There are no menus on the table either. We have asked for a Mediterranean dinner and the house-elves have invited us for a trial dinner to the Hogwarts kitchen a week ago. It was exactly what we have envisioned and so now we can hardly wait for the good stuff to turn up on the table. I notice that I'm really hungry, because even though there have been bits and pieces to eat all afternoon I've kept my stomach empty for the dinner except for a bite or two before I started filling myself up with alcoholic beverages. Remus and Sirius have allowed us to cautiously drink small amounts of wine and other alcoholic beverages in the past years, increasing the allowed amount with care, so we would get the taste but not exaggerate. They claimed it would be better for us to know how to treat the stuff with reason than to just plunge in once no one out there could forbid us to drink it. Those of us who liked the taste did drink wine in small amounts, but not all of us, because some of us didn't like it at all. For them there's liberal amounts of chilled pumpkin juice and water around the table.

I notice that Hermione fills every second glass with water. I soon do the same, because she's right when she says wine is there to enjoy, not to still thirst.

The dinner starts and goes on for a long time. We don't have to hurry and no one minds pauses between the courses. We get everything that the Mediterranean cuisine has to offer. I wonder how the house-elves have managed, because I can only remember one occasion when they actually sent up menus of a more international colouring. It was at the feasts during the Triwizard Tournament. And I don't think I enjoyed them then.

But now it's perfect, especially with this lovely day. I have engaged Colin Creevey to be our photographer and he'll also take a few group photos right after dinner. I know he's already spent a lot of time taking pictures of everyone during the course of the afternoon. It will be great fun to look at them.

Three hours after we were served the first course of dinner it's coming to an end. So far the music has been a mix of many different musical styles, but from now on it will be dance music. The table is cleared of the last course and dessert is marking the beginning of the dance. We gather for the official photos of the family and friends. It's a good feeling to say I have family. Hermione and I pose with what seems like dozens of people, other couples, Siri and Remus who hold their children, with the Weasleys, with everyone. Then I pull Hermione to the dance floor between the large round table and the place where the musicians sit. She looks at them and we hear a waltz of some sort starting and I just love it. We start to circle around the floor and after a while we beckon others to join us. I can see Molly and Arthur Weasley pick up Seraina and Dennis and sending Remus and Sirius on to the dance floor, quickly followed by Ron and Justin, Ernie and Ginny and all of the others who feel inclined to dance. It's wonderful and sweet and I hope this evening never ends.

I'm a good boy and once I've had a few rounds with Hermione we let others in. Sirius grabs her for the first round, then Remus and Dad are there and they claim the privilege of their age over Ron and our friends. But Ron gets his chance with Hermione as well. I'm being nice and ask Helen first, then Molly Weasley, who asks me to finally call her Molly instead of Mrs Weasley. I smile, because I think it's about time, only I never wanted to say anything. After Molly I find Professor McGonagall, who gives me one of her very rare smiles and dances a very decent slow fox with me.

"I don't know how to thank you and Professor Dumbledore for this wonderful setting for my wedding," I tell her.

"This has been a pleasure for us, Potter! You should know that neither Professor Dumbledore nor I have ever left you out of our eyes completely. And both of us greatly like both you and your lovely wife."

"She's always been extremely fond of you, Professor."

"I see many similarities between her and myself, you know. I also married early. It's not to be expected that the same thing will happen to you that happened to my husband though. He was killed when we had been married for only two years. Grindelwald. Or rather Tom Riddle in Grindelwald's service. I never met anyone I could love again and then Albus called me to Hogwarts. Its children are my children now."

I'm baffled. That's the most she's ever told me about herself. I wonder how many people actually know about these things. Not too many I would guess. Or better: not too many would know from her own lips. Losing Hermione this way - I don't even want to think about that. I'm sure I could never love anyone else like this after her either.

When it gets dark Fred and George gather everyone and lead us to the Hogwarts grounds. They have set up their firework there and with a wave of Fred's wand it starts. It's beautiful again. They have managed to actually reproduce Hermione and I, dancing, and then transforming into the wolf and the dog and frolicking around the night sky in a most playful way. Hermione holds my hand and both of us smile. The last part is a sparkling text, which says:

"To Hermione and Harry: a long and happy life together and congratulations!!!!!"

Everyone applauds and we both thank the twins. They look smug, but I think they have every reason to be.

Two more hours of socialising and dancing start and then the older guests start leaving the scene and Hermione and I know it's time to return to the Sunnegg. Before we leave we ask Remus and Sirius to gather the whole crowd of unmarried ladies in front and once they're all there Hermione throws her bride's bouquet. I can see Parvati to be the one to catch it. And after that we ask all the unmarried guys to step up. I help my wife onto a chair. She turns her back to everyone, lifts her robe and rolls the black silk garter she wears down her leg. I explain that the Muggles sometimes do this as a wedding tradition.

"The first of you to catch the garter will be the next to get married!"

I can see Ron and Justin starting to grin and when Hermione throws the garter over her shoulder it's actually Justin who catches it easily. He holds it up and grins.

Then we just say goodbye to everyone, vanish inside of the Great Hall, pass it and Hermione asks:

"Should we get dressed into our clothes from this morning?"

"We just pick the stuff up and do it at home, okay?"

"Okay."

I can't wait! We pick our things up and then walk to the gates from where we apparate home. We're both not yet ready to leave this home completely and I think we might not until we start our own family. Right now we drop our clothes on the bed, undress and get dressed in something entirely different. The place we go in Fiji provides us with a small hut-like house, where we will have every comfort. It will be midday there now and we're not really in a hurry. Our baggage is packed, reduced so we have only to put it in our pockets and start apparating through the several stops until we get to Australia from where it will be one hop to Fiji.
Sign up to rate and review this story