Categories > Original > Mystery

Sci Fi vs. Fantasy

by smandol125 0 reviews

In a dystopian future where science fiction and fantasy are enemies, Scarlet Ryan is deperately trying to survive after her family is torn apart while also dealing with a war between the Science Fi...

Category: Mystery - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2014-11-22 - 976 words

0Unrated
My ocean blue eyes flutter open as I hear a gunshot in the distance.

I uncover myself from the soft blankets and walk to the window. Of course. The war.

I walk to the wash room and look at myself in the mirror. My scarlet hair hangs in a braid around my neck, tickling my pale skin. I run the faucet in the bath and climb in. I feel the warmth of the water over my skin as I gently caress my arm with my fingernail. I climb out of the porcelain tub once I am done and dry myself off. I walk down the stone stairs to the kitchen and walk to the refrigerator. I pour myself a glass of milk and prepare myself a bowl of cereal.

This is how it is every morning. I sit at the round kitchen table, looking at all the family portraits, wondering what went wrong. My mother was beautiful, with her long, rustic brunette curls and her sparkling green eyes. I inherited nothing from my mother. My scarlet hair and my eyes are all my father's. My older brother, Adam, inherited my mother's genes.

When all boys turn sixteen, they are officially considered men and are sent to fight in the war between the science fiction and the fantasy. I will tell you more about how that started later. My father had to fight in the war, but due to an injury, he was allowed 5 years to rest to full health. My mother was a nurse and she was assigned to treat him. They say it was love at first sight, when they're eyes met they just knew they were soul mates. They married 2 months later and had a baby 9 months later, Adam. Two years later, I was born. My father had to leave when I was only two years old. Adam was four at the time. My earliest memory of my father is when I was one, and I was sitting on his lap, and I was bouncing up and down on his leg and I was laughing and he was laughing until mother called us in for dinner.

Our family started to crumble a while after my father left. My mother had to work full time as a nurse, and my brother was barely home. I do not know what he was doing. When my brother turned sixteen, he went off to fight in the war and is was just me and my mother. Me and my mother never had a very close relationship. My mother always seemed like she thought I was the odd child of the family, the girl that never really fit in with anyone, and in I way I suppose that's true. I never had many friends and I never had an intimate relationship with anyone. My only friend was a girl named Clarissa, but she died when we were only ten years old. The causes of her death were unknown.

My mother left shortly after my brother went off to the war. She didn't leave a note. No "I love you's", no "I'll be back soon's", nothing. So here I am today, caught in the midst of this war. Years ago, the sides were at peace. In fact, they barely interacted. The two sides couldn't be more different. The fantasy side was very old fashioned and medieval, with stone walls and horses. The science fiction side was futuristic and had laser guns and could have anything delivered to them with the push of a button. One day, the leader of the fantasy side, Alex Maynot, decided that we were neglected compared to the advancements of the Science Fiction side, and had a falling out with the leader of the Sci Fi side, Mellissa Maron.

That is where we are today, as Alex decided to prove to Mellissa that we could easily beat them in battle even without the same advancements as them. I am on the fantasy side, and do not know when the battle will end, or if it will ever end. It has been going on for 20 years now.

I quietly slip out the door and walk to the stables. My horse, Ember, is waiting for me. He is a beautiful horse, with soft white hair and blue eyes. He was not beautiful when I found him. He was the only horse to escape a stable fire, which is why I named him Ember. I groomed him and made my mother heal him. My mother never cared much for him, but that didn't stop me from riding him every night. Looking at the stars and the glistening midnight sky gave me a sense of ease, and I knew that everything would be okay.

I ride on Ember to the meadows. The meadow is beautiful with wild flowers and a sparkling blue pond nearby. I am able to drown out the gunshots, and close my eyes...

I awaken later, I am not sure how much later. My horse is gone, with is odd, since Ember never wanders off when he is not in the stables. I guess I did not get much sleep last night. I probably had nightmares again.

I whistle. "Ember!", I call out, but not too loudly. I walk around in the surrounding woods, jumping whenever I heard a twig snapping, the sun already setting and the sky orange. How long was I asleep?

All of a sudden, I hear snarl. I tremble, and tears start to fall down my cheeks. What was going on? I turn around and nothing is there. Maybe it was just my imagination. My imagination is good at making my life a living nightmare. I start to walk again but as I do, I see something out of the corner of my eye. Then, something slams into my head and I fall.
Sign up to rate and review this story