Categories > Original > Fantasy

Caleb Lynch

by andrew_3507 3 reviews

please review!! Caleb Lynch is your typical seventeen year old. Or at least he was. When he finds out he's something called a Counter Shadow, the world flips upside down. New friends, new enemie...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2015-02-20 - Updated: 2015-04-27 - 14829 words

3Original
From the moment Caleb Lynch disentangled himself from the blankets that held him captive, he could tell something was wrong. The smell was wrong- The usual chokingly thick fruity scent of home, was replaced with the strong aroma of incense. The sound, or rather the lack of sounds, was wrong. Even the texture of the blankets felt foreign under his pale skin. It was then that he noticed he was bare under the covers. Caleb cast the comforter to the wooden floor, attempted to stand, and failed. His stomach throbbed, and the movement drowned him in a wave of nausea.
“I wouldn't try standing quite yet.”
Caleb immediately covered himself, and stared wide eyed at the man who just entered. He was tall and attractive, with long brown hair, and a neatly trimmed goatee. He wore a leather jacket, and tattered jeans, like some biker...But the most intriguing thing about him was the sword and dagger at his spiked belt. “Who are you?” Caleb demanded, snatching the covers off the floor to better conceal his nudity.
“My name is Edmund Nash.” As he approached the scent of coffee entered Caleb's nostrils.
Caleb stumbled backwards, the motion sending him into violent convulsions. He threw up all over his chest, and the quilt. “Don't you come any closer.”
The man who'd called himself Edmund stopped in his tracks. “I'm sorry if I've frightened you.”
“Frightened me?” Caleb shrieked “You've kidnapped me, and god knows what else!”
Edmund smiled at him, his blue eyes showing no sign of aggression. “I saved you. The departed were after you. Would have dragged you under had me and Jacqueline not been there to fend them off.”
Caleb reached for the closest thing: He found a glass, half full of water., and heaved it at the man. “You're crazy!”
Edmund didn't move, instead he raised his hands, purple ripples emitting from them. When the cup hit, what acted like a shield, it simply fell to the ground as if a feather. The water however surpassed the barrier, and splashed against Edmund's face, who did nothing but laugh and say: “Better than vomit.”
“What are you?” Caleb asked, his voice shaky. “And what do you want with me?”
Edmund gave him another smile, and slipped a bandoleer from the back of a chair. “To put a little salve on that wound.”
Caleb glanced down at his bare body, and was mildly surprised to find a deep gash on his leg. “Did you do this?”
“Me?” Edmund said, clearly offended. “No! It was the Departed. I am a man of medicine, I'd never hurt a fellow human being!”
“Then why do you have a sword strapped to your hip?” Caleb countered.
Edmund gave another smile, though this one was rather more grim than the last. “Departed are not human beings. This sword is reserved for their throats.”
Caleb glowered at him. “Where are my clothes.”
“Just in there.” Edmund gestured to a wooden chest at the foot of the cot. He turned his back from Caleb to allow him to change.
Caleb, using the blanket as a type of cloak, propped open the container, and sifted around for his garments. It was all there: his Screaming Over Banshees shirt, a pair of ripped, fitted jeans, adorned with a black leather belt. His converse were were there at the bottom, alongside a faded black zip up hoodie. Standing to look for his clothes set his stomach tumbling again, but he suppressed the urge to throw up.
“Allow me to put on that salve before you get into your jeans.” Edmund instructed.
Seeing no other option then doing what this man wanted, Caleb sat on the bed in his boxers and extended his leg. “Put your damned salve on it then.”
Edmund selected a small jar of a white and thick paste from the bandoleer, and made his way over. The paste was cold on Caleb's skin, and stung when applied to the wound, but he didn't wince, instead he asked: “So what are these departed?”
“They're humanoids,.” Edmund told him.”In fact they were humans at some point.”
“Like zombies?”
“No, not like zombies,” Edmund said as if he'd answered the question a hundred times.”More like a ghost. A very, very bad ghost for lack of a better word.”
Caleb raised his eyebrows. “If they're ghosts, how did they attack me?”
Edmund grinned. “They're not literal ghosts.”
“Having the departed talk again, doc?” Caleb's eyes snapped at the new, female voice. She was tall and muscular, with short dark hair. Dressed in a baggy pink coat and knee high boots, a hatchet resided loosely in her long fingers. Caleb wrenched the blankets over his legs.
“Can't you see I'm busy, Jacqueline.” Edmund said with a raised eyebrow.
The woman named Jacqueline laughed, “I helped saved him, might be that I should see him, make sure he's alive. And I told you, call me Jack.”
Edmund tied a dressing over Caleb's leg. “Well I suppose that's true.” He turned to Caleb, “You can put your jeans back on.”
Caleb looked at Jacqueline, o rather, Jack , who turned her back to him. He slipped on his pants quickly, wincing when the denim scraped against his leg.
“It smells like barf in here,” Jack said with a wrinkled nose.
Caleb felt his cheeks flush, but neither Edmund nor Jack seemed to care to much. “Is there somewhere, where I can clean up?”
“I'll take you,” Jack offered, slipping her axe into her belt, and extending her hand to help him up.
Again, not seeing much of an option, he took her hand, and she heaved him up. Caleb groaned, consequence of his stomach, but managed to make it out the door. The room they entered must have been a living room of sorts. It was filled with comfortable looking white leather sofas. The kind Caleb knew he'd spill a drink on, A flat screen, at least fifty inches, hung on the wooden walls. There was a carpet made of, what looked like, bear fur sprawled across the laminate flooring. A countless amount of paintings were hung on the wall, each of varying degrees of skill.
When Jack saw Caleb looking at them, she said: “Art by our occupants.”
“You mean there's more?” He asked, leaning heavily on Jack's bulky arm. “Where are they all then?”
Jack dug around in her pockets, and produced a cellphone,. “It's almost half past noon. I'd guess lunch. Are you hungry?”
The thought of food made Caleb nauseous. “I'd rather just clean up, if that's okay>”
“I'd say so. You've been out four days, and, no offense, but you reek.”
Caleb believed her about the smell, but not quite about being out for multiple days. “If it's just a little cut how come I was asleep for so long?”
“Your immunity was zilch. The first time you get hit by one of the departed, you're likely to be out for a couple of days. It's best not to get hit, but after the fourth or fifth time, you can pretty withstand it.” Jack unzipped a pocket on her coat and produced a pack of cigarettes; she held the pack out to Caleb.
He shook his head, “I got my own.” Caleb patted down his own pockets: phone, wallet, but no cigarettes. “I must have dropped them while getting killed.”
jack laughed, “So you believe us about the departed?”
“I don't know for sure,” Caleb muttered.
Jack opened a door that led to what looked like creaky wooden stairs. She pulled a string and a bright light appeared. “Fair enough,” she said. “And about your cigs, Edmund probably took em.” Jack started descending the stairs.
Caleb followed her. “Does he smoke too?”
“Used to,” Jack said. “Now he's way against it.-” she lit her smoke. “He'd kill me for this. The trick? Just don't get caught.” She offered the pack again.
Caleb took a cigarette. “You got a-” he was rendered silent by the room he entered. The area retained the same rustic cabin look, but it was obviously an armory of sorts. Swords, axes, daggers, pole arms, crossbows, and even a few throwing stars. The room smelt of leather , metal, and the now familiar, incense. The only thing Caleb could think of was: “Aren't you people scared of a fire?”
Jack laughed, “If we didn't have wards around this place we would have burned down a long while ago.”
“Could I learn? The magic I mean.” Caleb asked.
“What do you mean learn it? You've already done it! You're obviously a necromancer!”
Caleb raised his eyebrows. “What?”
“You know someone who summons the dead, puts curses on people, that sorta stuff.” Jack smiled at him. “I mean I wouldn't have pinned you as one, had I not seen you in action.”
“What do you mean, 'seen me in action?'” Caleb was becoming more confused by the second.
Jack grinned, “I mean you must have been holding your own against the departed for a few minutes before we made our, ever so needed, appearance.” She handed him a black lighter. Using her finger she pointed out two doors: “Gym is the on the left, showers are the right. Just a warning, the water is either too cold, or too hot. It's a bit of a piss off.” Jack turned to leave.
Caleb tucked the lighter and cigarette in his pocket before calling out: “Wait! There's so much more I need to ask you!”
She pivoted, and faced Caleb. “I'll still be here after you bathe, then you can ask me all the questions you want. But only after you wash up.” Jack ascended the stairs with little more than a wave and a nod.
Caught between eagerness to be clean, and the apprehension of being in a strange place, Caleb remained still. Eventually the basic urge of cleanliness won him over. He approached the right door, and swung it open on well oiled hinges. In the room resided almost thirty showers, twenty seven to be exact, all closed off with blue curtains. Caleb's converse immediately became sopping wet with shower water. The room was tiled, and impossibly clean. Lockers lined the walls, Caleb approached one of these and flung it open. He found a soft white towel, and took it, quietly praying it was clean. Caleb stripped, shoved his clothes in the locket, and made his way back to the shower. He faced the same problem everyone faces when using a strange shower: turning the damned thing on. He stood, naked and shivering, fiddling with the knobs. Eventually he managed to coax the water to flow, and it was a small victory. Whilst standing under the too hot water, he realized just how crazy his situation was. He woke up in some strange cabin, naked, where for some reason people knew his name, and claimed he was a necromancer. It was just bizarre. He contemplated running, but where would he go? He was positive he wasn't in Vancouver anymore. Caleb sighed, it was best he stayed, at least for now.
He found a bar of sweet smelling soap, and a half empty bottle of shampoo. Caleb squirted some of it into his hands and coated his thick, short, blonde hair in a soapy lather. He rinsed it off, scrubbed his body with the soap, and stood there for a good ten minutes before finally turning off the water. Caleb dried his locks, wrapped the towel around his thin waist, and tugged back the curtain. His stomach practically fell to the floor when he found a guy, around his age, leaning against the lockers. The new arrival brought life to the, 'my little teacup', song. He was indeed short and stout, with long dark hair and a rough coat of stubble. The kid wore a white and black polo with the words 'Port Barrier,' sprawled across the chest. His pants were faded black and in ribbons and, as seemed common suit around here, a weapon was at his hip. It was swathed in a small black leather sheath, but Caleb could only assume it was a dagger In his arms was a bundle of clean clothes. “These are for you-” he extended the clothes towards him. “I'm Oaken.”
With one hand holding the towel in place, and another reaching for the clothes, Caleb said: “Caleb Lynch. Nice to meet you.”
Oaken passed him the clothes. “I know who you are, man. Everyone does.” He ran a hand through his hair.
“How does everyone know me?” Caleb made his way behind the shower curtain again to change. In the bundle was a fresh pair of socks and underwear along with a pair of black jeans, and a black and white polo, same as Oaken's. What the hell is Port Barrier?
“Everyone has heard about the way you singlehandedly took on those departed!”
While tugging on the clean clothes Caleb said, “Jack and Edmund helped.”
Oaken laughed, it was a deep chortle. “I just wish I was there to see it! I hear Jack goes into a berserker mode...It'd make sense, she is part of the combat ward.”
“What's the 'combat ward?'” Caleb asked, emerging from the curtains feeling refreshed.
“The combat ward is basically our front line men and woman, they are masters of combat, as you may have guessed. There's also the summoner's ward, which me and you are a part of, and the builder's ward.” Oaken led the way out of the showers, and Caleb trailed behind him, dirty clothes in his arms. “Plus the healer's ward-” he opened the door for Caleb. “-Oh shit! Almost forgot about the Devastator Ward. They're easy to forget, cause there's so few of them. We only got two. Three if you count Abby, but she's only six.”
Caleb lifted his eyebrows. “What is the Devastator Ward?”
“They're also on the front lines,” Oaken explained. “They use combat magic.”
“Like shooting fireballs?”
Oaken nodded, he took the stair two at a time. “I'll be your tour guide of sorts,” he said. “There's not too much to see.”
“I want to see Jack and Edmund. I want to see answers.”
Oaken laughed, “I suppose I could show you that, first. You get straight to the point, huh? You're a man who wants answers, and will fight tooth and nail to get em. I respect that.”
Caleb was beginning to like Oaken more and more by the second. “Thank you.”
Together they made their way up the stairs, Caleb using the rail as a support. His stomach pain had died down, but that only left room for his leg to start screaming. It was hell.
“Watch your head on the doorway here, wouldn't want to add another injury to the list.” Oaken warned.
Caleb heeded the advice and stooped low whilst going through the entrance.
“Now,” Oaken started.“The minute we get in there, you're going to be bombarded with questions. Just drive right through, kay?”
Oaken was right; the second they entered the living room, what seemed like a hundred people, were asking Caleb all sorts of questions.
“How'd you survive?” One kid asked.
Another said, “How many departed were there?”
“Are you single?” Inquired a third.
Caleb did exactly as Oaken said, and plowed through everyone. He felt like a celebrity, and an ass of one at that. They approached a large door, with a knocker in the shape of some sort of dog. Oaken raised the knocker and gave three short raps.
“Come in.” Edmund's voice called. Caleb followed Oaken into the room. It was the standard wooden floor and wall. There were inspirational posters covering the walls, and a large bleached white ,wood, desk. Behind it sat Edmund, and on top of it sat Jack. “If it isn't my favourite little tree.” Edmund announced. For a moment Caleb was confused, but then he saw Edmund looking at Oaken.
“And if it isn't the world's best doctor!” He called back.
Jack snorted. “Kiss ass.”
“You're the one who trails him around like a lost puppy.” Oaken countered.
Edmund just smiled, and leaned back in his chair. It looked extremely comfortable. There was a fox curled up in his lap. Ordinary, Caleb would have been surprised, but after today it just seemed common suit. “How are you feeling, Caleb?” He asked, stroking the fox behind its ears. At that moment, Edmund reminded Caleb of a super villain. But just for that moment, his smile washed away those suspicions.
“My leg hurts, like a bitch.” Caleb instantly regretted saying it after the fact.
Jack laughed, Edmund smiled, and Oaken clapped him on the back, causing his knees to buckle.
“Did you take off that dressing when you showered?” Edmund asked. Caleb shook his head. “No matter, we can just tie a new one on. I'd assume though, that you have questions before we get to that?” Caleb nodded. “Then ask away.”
Once Caleb started it was hard to stop. “How do you know my name? Why can't I remember anything? How many people are here? Does the government know about this? What do you mean I'm a necromancer.”
“Slow down,” Edmund said with another grin. “I can only answer one at a time.”
Caleb felt his cheeks flush. “Okay, then first question: How do you know my name?”
“You were carrying your license.” Edmund answered.
Jack snapped her fingers. “He also had a bag on him! Where'd you put that?”
“It's locked away...It had some less than desirable things in it.”
Caleb glared at Edmund. “Like what?”
“Alcohol for one.”
This time Jack glared at Edmund. “That's not 'less than desirable', it's amazing!”
“It's poison!” Edmund snapped.
Oaken groaned. “Oh, not this again! Please not this again!”
In unison Jack and Edmund said. “Shut up Oaken.”
Caleb clapped his hands. “I still have questions, people.”
Edmund's and Jack's shouting died down, and Ed said. “Oh, right. Sorry, we're making asses of ourselves. Ask away.”
“Why can't I remember anything?”
Edmund placed a finger on his thin lips. “I suppose that's just how the Departed have affected you. It's rare that it causes memory loss, but it is possible. For me it causes stiffness, well for most it causes stiffness. Some fall into a deep depression, and some aren't affected at all.”
“Okay, well how many people are here?”
Jack cocked her head, and counted on her fingers. “Forty-seven. Eight in the Builder's Ward, eleven in the Healer's Ward, ten in the Summoner's Ward, fifteen in the Combat Ward-" She paused. “Oh and three in the Devastator's Ward.” Jack smiled at him, revealing white teeth. “And no, the government does not know about Port Barrier. No one whose not part of Port Barrier, knows about Port Barrier.”
Caleb raised his eyebrows. “How do you keep it a secret?”
“Magical wards. Wards on our weapons, on our cabins, on our everything. You can see, because you're magic.” She said it like it was the most obvious thing in the world, and Caleb realized for her, it was.
“This must be a lot for you to take in,” Oaken said, placing a hand on Caleb's shoulder.
Caleb gave him a wry smile. “That I can believe.”
“Now about you being a necromancer,” Edmund said, folding his hands atop his desk. “We know you're a necromancer, because you summoned the dead...It's simple as that.”
“But how?” Caleb asked.
Edmund shrugged and raised his hands in surrender. “I have no idea. It can't have been the first time though.”
Looking back on it Caleb knew it was in fact, not the first time. Once, when he was seven, his mother had found him talking to himself..But really he was talking to his grandmother. Except she had passed away when he was five. Another time, in seventh grade, he had found his pet cat on the floor, not breathing, and he'd touched it and it woke up...Did he bring back the dead? “I think I know what you mean.” Caleb said.
Jack laughed, “Just don't put any curses on me.”
“Don't make that promise just yet, Caleb. She can be a pain in the ass.”
Edmund laughed, his laugh was rich and comforting. “Anything else you have to ask, Caleb?”
“Just one,” Caleb said. He pointed to a sword hanging on the wall. “Where can I get me one of those?”

Oaken handed Caleb a longsword, the hilt adorned with a single piece of garnet. “What do you think?” He asked.
Jack scoffed, “He can hardly lift the damned thing.” She grabbed hold of Caleb's bicep, “I mean look at this, not a shred of muscle.”
“Hey!” Caleb exclaimed, snatching away his arm.
She stuck out her tongue at him. “Well it's true!”
“She's right,” Oaken said apologetically. “It's too heavy for you.”
Caleb sighed, he knew it was true. They had been in the armory for nearly half an hour swinging different weapons, trying to find one that worked for Caleb. So far none had even seemed right. They/d tried short swords, longswords, warhammer, maces, and axes. None of them felt right.
“Don't get down on yourself,” Oaken scolded.
Jack laughed and then muttered, “Especially cause I know many girls who would do it for you.”
Oaken wrinkled his nose, “That's disgusting.”
“What?” Jack said. “He's hot!”
Caleb laughed and felt his face flush. “Thanks.”
“He's like four years younger than you, Jacqueline.” Oaken snapped.
Jack punched Oaken in the arm. “I didn't say I wanted to sleep with him, I can just acknowledge he's good looking. And call me by that name again, I'll punch you somewhere else.”
Oaken crossed his legs, and quickly changed the subject. “Why not try this?” He pressed yet another sword into Caleb's open hand.
Caleb immediately knew that this sword, wasn't going to be his sword. The weight was wrong, the leather handle felt wrong, even the look was wrong. Not that he knew what he was looking for.
He passed the sword back to Oaken, who frowned and raised his hands in surrender. “I don't know what we're going to do with you. Jack you try.”
“Oh, it's Jack now that you want something?” She said with a wink. “Alright, let's see.” Caleb got the impression Oaken and Jack were close. Not in any sort of amorous way, but in a brother, sister sort of way.
She selected, from a chest, what looked like a long dagger. Probably a foot. It was beautiful with a worn black leather handle, and adorned with a tartan ribbon, and a single piece of amethyst in the hilt.
“What is it?” Caleb asked, taking it in his hands. The leather was warm and soft under his fingers.
“It's called a dirk,” Jack told him. “Used in the Highlands.”
Caleb smiled at her. “It's the one..”
Oaken glowered at them both. “Are you shitting me? Me and you spend the better part of an hour looking for something, and the first thing she plucks from the chest is 'The One.'
Caleb shrugged a shoulder. “Beginner's luck.”
Jack was caught in a fit of laughter, “Take a few test swings before you set yourself on it,” she managed.
“What's so funny, Jack?” A new voice inquired. All three turned to face the fresh noise, and Caleb immediately was self conscious about how tiny the weapon he was holding was. The new occupant was beautiful, perfect really. She hit all of Caleb's ideals, while look wise anyway. Long auburn hair, bright green eyes, and full lips. She was short and slender, with beautiful hips, and long fingers. She wore a pair of black leggings, and a white band T-shirt. “Oh, I didn't realize you had company.” She made her way to Caleb and shook his hand. Hers were soft, and she smelt like vanilla. “I'm Cadence Barnett, but everyone around here calls me Caddy.”
Caleb smiled at her. “But Cadence is such a beautiful name.” His voice cracked when he said it, and his knees were shaking, but Cadence ignored it. Instead she grinned and said,
“Thank you. What's yours?” She asked.
“Mine what?”
“Your name?” Cadence giggled, and Caleb could feel his cheeks flush.
“Caleb. Caleb Lynch.”
Jack laughed, “You don't sound so sure.”
“Is that a dirk?” Cadence asked changing the subject, and plucking the weapon from his hand. She studied it, took a test swing, and said. “My Grandpa is Scottish.”
Caleb nodded.
Cadence placed a finger on her lips, “I get a quiet, but intelligent vibe from you.”
“Don't take that lightly,” Oaken said solemnly, “She's really good at picking up vibes. She's kinda an...eccentric.”
Cadance put on a small smile. “Thanks for not saying freak.”
“You're not a freak, Caddy,” Oaken said placing his hand on her slender shoulder.
Cadence laughed, “Sometimes I forget that.”
Goddamn, Caleb thought. Even her laugh is perfect.
“Here, you can have this back.” Cadence said, passing him the dirk. “I have stuff to attend to.” When she turned to leave, she whispered in Caleb's ear. “I think you're cute too, by the way.”
Caleb must have been blushing something fierce, because Jack announced. “You look like a tomato.”
“At least he's a cute tomato,” Oaken laughed.
In unison Caleb and Jack said. “Shut up, Oaken.”
“Just trying to help,” Oaken muttered.
Caleb placed a hand on his shoulder and offered him a cigarette.
“Where'd you find those?” Jack asked.
Caleb laughed, “Well, Edmund didn't check every pocket of my bag.”
“You sneaky little bastard,” She said with mock scorn.
Oaken took the smoke, “You got a light?” He asked.
“Always,” Caleb told him, producing the lighter Jack had given to him.
Oaken put the cigarette in his mouth. “You light it,” he said. “If I don't light it, it doesn't count and Edmund can't get mad at me.”
Caleb laughed, lit the smoke, and composed two more. He offered one to Jack, and took one for himself.
“You shouldn't be so generous with your smokes,” Jack told him, taking the cigarette. “It's a pain in the ass to get more without Edmund noticing.”
“Wait, you mean were close to civilization?” Caleb asked, lighting his own cigarette. He passed the lighter to Jack.
Jack nodded, “We're just outside a little town called Bluestream. They sell the necessities. Food, water, cigarettes, alcohol. Those last two are practically impossible to get in here.”
For awhile they stood there, cigarettes in mouth, not saying much of anything. Finally the silence was broken by Oaken saying, “I'm sick of the stench of incense and smoke, let's get some fresh air.”
Jack swept up the cigarette butts, and Caleb held the dustpan. They dumped them in one of the many lockers in the shower room, and then the three of them made their way up the stairs. Caleb's hip was weighed down with his new weapon. It was a comforting weight.
Once they were outside Caleb pulled out his phone; he was a little surprised to find it to be six already. He breathed in the fresh air, and caught a hint of barbecue. It was then that he realized how hungry he was. “What time is dinner?” he asked, shivering. The snow was deep, and his shoes offered little protection from the cold.
“Anywhere from six thirty to seven,” Jack said, then added. “Ugh, their serving dead animals again.”
Oaken rolled his eyes. “You mean meat?”
“What do you think meat is?” Jack asked with a raised eyebrow.
“She's a vegetarian,” Oaken explained to Caleb, “Mostly cause she's an idiot.”
Jack punched him in the arm.
“Oh,” Caleb said. “My older sister's a vegetarian too. I couldn't do it.” He paused and glanced at his phone again, no bars, that explains why he wasn't getting any frantic texts from his mother. Soon enough she'd have him on milk cartons. “Is there anywhere with service?”
Oaken laughed, “It depends how bad you want it, man.”
“Pretty bad.”
“In that case, on the top of the Healer's cabin, you can get a couple of bars. We have some time before dinner if you want to try?”
Caleb nodded, “I'm there. You two coming?”
“I have nothing better to do,” Jack said with a shrug.
Oaken shuffled his feet, “I best not, I got a lot of cleaning to do before supper. Jack will show you where it is though.”
When Oaken had dissapeared for his quest of cleanliness, Jack said. “He's scared of heights. I figure it's because he's so shot, he doesn't know what's up there.”
Caleb laughed, “Makes sense.”
“Come on,” Jack said grabbing his arm. “I'll show you where the Healer's cabin is.”
The pair of them trudged through the snow, Jack occasionally pointing out the sights. There was a training ground here, a shooting range there. Each was vacant, probably due to the cold. The camp was surrounded by trees, and you could occasionally hear the chirping of birds.
When they passed the Summoner's Cabin, Jack said. “That's where you'll be staying.” It was a large building. The paint on the outside was black with red trim, and the door was huge, again adorned with a knocker molded to look like a dog. “Maybe you'll get lucky, and get top bunk.” Jack told him with a wink.
“Maybe,” Caleb laughed. “Or maybe I'll get the floor.”
Jack nodded, “That's more likely.”
The Healer's Cabin was a lot like the Summoner's Cabin, save it was light blue with red trim. The door was the same, with the same dog shaped knocker. The building was almost twenty feet.
“So,” Caleb started. “How do we get up there.”
Jack looked at him like he was an idiot. “We climb?”
Caleb rubbed his hands together, and made his way to the wall in an attempt to scale it.
“There's a ladder, you twit.” Jack said, rolling her eyes. She walked around the back of the cabin, and there indeed was a ladder. She mounted it, and started making her way up.
Caleb held the ladder in place. Damn she has a nice ass. He shook his head, that wasn't his place to be thinking about.
“Enjoying the view, perv?” Jack called from the roof, she was smiling.
Caleb made his way up the ladder and sat on the roof beside Jack. “I don't know what you're talking about.”
“Is that so?”
Caleb shrugged, “I guess it's so.”
“Careful up here, it's icy.” Jack warned. “Edmund would kill me, if you died.”
“Thanks for your concern,” Caleb muttered, holding up his phone. It took less than thirty seconds for it to start going mad.

Mom: Where are you?
Mom: Seriously, where are you?
Mom: You're scaring me.
Mom: Fuck, Caleb, where are you?
Rachel: Where are you? Mom's worried and pissed.
Rachel: Seriously, Caleb, this isn't funny.

Caleb's fingers danced above the touch keyboard. What could he say that would make them feel better, and ensure he was safe? He slowly typed in: I'm safe, don't worry, I'm with friends. Love you! He checked the time, quarter past six, and shut off his phone.
“So about Cadence,” Caleb said. “Do you think she'd go for a guy like me?”
Jack snapped her fingers. “I knew you had a thing for her!”
“I think she's beautiful.”
“And apparently you think her name is beautiful too,” Jack said with a small smirk.
Caleb laughed and stuck his tongue out at her. “Shut up.”
“Nah man, just saying you got some sick wheels.”
“Well thank you.”
Jack nodded, “Anytime.” She swung her legs over the ledge.
“I have to ask,” Caleb said. “What's with the fox?”
Jack shrugged, “It's Edmund's favourite animal, I guess.” She pointed to a flagpole, the fabric billowing in the wind.. “The colours of Port Barrier are black and white, the sigil is a fox.”
“So Edmund started this place?” Caleb asked.
She nodded, “He rounded up all of us.”
“How'd he know who was who?”
“One of three ways. One, the departed attack you. Two, he sees you perform magic of some sorts, or three, and this is only for the most powerful; he sees your shadow is cast backward.”
“Was my shadow backwards?” Caleb asked, looking at his silhouette to see if it was in fact opposite..
Jack shifted uncomfortably, “I probably shouldn't say. You'll either get disappointed, or cocky. I can't stand either shade on a person.”
“Just tell me.” Caleb urged. “And either way I'll never be as cocky as the hockey players.”
Jack laughed, “That's true, no one is that cocky.”
“It's physically impossible.”
Jack glanced at her phone, “We should head back. The bands gonna be starting soon.”
“What band?”
She climbed down the ladder, calling up, “I think December Gardens is playing tonight.”
Caleb followed her to the bottom. “What kind of music do they play?”
“Their Post-Hardcore, really good too, well if you like that sort of thing. It's all made up of campers. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.”

Chapter Three

Jack swung open the door to the cafeteria, or rather, the Food Hall, as she had called it. A wave of noise hit; the clattering of cutlery, the excited voices of the other occupants, and loudest of all, the twinge of someone tuning their guitar strings. Half the available benches sat unoccupied, probably because everyone sat in a large cluster. Everyone seemed to know everyone around here. Caleb had expected it to be like high school, and the people involved were in their little cliques, but it wasn't. The only members of Port Barrier that were sitting in solitude was Edmund and a tall and lean, redheaded boy.
Caleb nodded his head in that direction. “Why are they all alone?”
“He probably wanted a one on one with the doc,” Jack explained. “Most of the people around here suffer from some sort of anxiety, or depression. You probably do as well.”
Caleb laughed, “You don’t know the half of it, man.”
“Try me.”
“I’d rather not.” Caleb muttered, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans.
Jack didn’t push, instead she placed a hand on his shoulder. “The show will cheer you up.” She led him to a loaded bench, where Oaken was waving. He nudged over, allowing room for them to sit down. The Food Hall was huge, full of benches, and tables. A large stage occupied a quarter of the room; there was two guitarists, a bassist, and a drummer. The mic was not yet occupied.
Oaken turned to Caleb and pointed to an open canteen. “There's food over there if you're hungry.” He took a bite of his burger, ketchup squirted out the back of it and landed on the table. “It's good.”
Jack wrinkled her nose, and motioned gagging. “I don't know how you can eat another living things flesh.”
Through a mouthful, Oaken said. “Because it's fantastic.”
“It was an innocent cow!”
Oaken rolled his eyes. “Every time I eat an animal, it was 'innocent.' How do you know this cow wasn't a jerk?”
“Cows are sweet by nature.” Jack insisted. “Caleb, where do you stand on this?”
Caleb raised his hands, “Don't get me involved in this, I'm just here for the food.”
“The living thing's flesh you mean,” Oaken said with a small smirk.
Jack punched him in the arm. “You shut up.”
Oaken opened his mouth to respond, but there was a tapping on the microphone, followed by a sweet voice saying, “Testing, testing.”
Caleb turned away from the bickering pair, to see an angel: Cadence. She stood there, in a too big Upstream t-shirt, and a pair of black skinnies. Her eyes were lined with black, and her gorgeous inciting lips were an alluring red. Her auburn hair was tied in a messy bun. She looked perfect.
:”Told you, you'd be pleasantly surprised.” Jack said, this time it was her smirking.
Caleb felt his cheeks flush, but he just looked straight forward.
“Wait till he hears her sing,” Oaken laughed, “He'll be in love. “
Caleb would have retorted, had Cadence not smiled at him. “We're December Gardens,” she said. “As you all know so well, and as usual, we're here to get you on your fucking feet.” She growled the last part, and Caleb felt his heart jump into his throat. She could do dirty vocals.
The benched people went wild, December Gardens was obviously a crowd favourite. Three was table banging, and head banging, whistling, and cheers.
“Thank you,” Cadence called. out. “This song is a new one, called: Even a Broken Heart Beats. I hope you like it.” Cadence flicked a loose strand of hair away from her round face, and nodded to each of the people in the band.
A heavy guitar started, immediately countered by the deep thrum of the bass. The drums added another level to the music as well, but it wasn't the bassist, drummer, or guitarist Caleb was entranced by.
Cadence, in dirty vocals, sang:
“You say you're fine, but I see a flat line,
You say you're surviving,
But I' see, the brutal honesty,
You look the same, talk the same,
But your heads just not in the game.
But your blood still runs red,
Your neck still homes your head
You're gonna live though, cause I'll tell you this,
a broken heart
still beats.”
The chorus was made up of clean vocals:
“A broken heart still beats,
you don't need to find solace, between the sheets.
You don't need to have such low self-esteem,
You' may not be beautiful to everyone,
but you're beautiful too me.
A broken heart still beats.”
Dirty versing took over again:
“So wear your heart on your cuff,
Say enough is enough,
So don't be beaten by your illness,
Don't mar your innocent flesh,
be the solution to your own issues,
Cause if anyone could help you,
it's you.”
This time the guitar player and Cadence sang the chorus in unison. Caleb was surprised to feel a pang of jealousy. He wanted to be up there with her...Even though he couldn't sing. In the slightest. The third, and final verse went like this:
“I can' relate to what you've said,
I too have wished for nothing more than death,
I've prayed for cancers, and disease,
But the devil only takes your soul, if and when he pleases.
But live for the moment, as cliché as it sounds,
Just take my hand,
you were in the dark,
but now you've been found.”
The song ended with the chorus, and a roar of applause. Jack stuck her thumb and forefinger in her mouth, and whistled. Oaken clapped. Loudly. And Caleb stayed silent, completely entranced.
Cadence did a cute little curtsy. “Thanks everyone,” she shouted. “But we have something more exciting than a new song, and that's a new member of Port Barrier! Come on up!”
Caleb found himself looking around, wondering who the new resident was. It didn't dawn on him, that was in fact him, until Jack tapped him on the shoulder, and said. “That's you, idiot.”
His legs shaking, Caleb stood up, and made his way to the stage. He prayed to god his fly wasn't down. Jack let loose a whistle, and the room of occupants laughed. Caleb felt his face turn red, but he pressed on, taking the steps of the stage one at a time, as to not trip.
“Hey,” Cadence greeted him, with a smile. “How'd you like the song? Be honest.”
Caleb wanted to tell her how amazing it was, how beautiful she looked, but only managed. “It was awesome.”
“Thank you,” Cadence said. Seeing how uncomfortable Caleb was, she did him the curtsy of introducing him to the rest of the members of Port Barrier. “This is Caleb Lynch,” she announced. “He\ll be in the summoner's lodgings.
A cheer went up from the benches, followed by Oaken shouting. “He gets the floor.”
Caleb felt the corners of his lips twitch.
“Why don't you kind men and woman from the summoner's cabin introduce yourselves?”
A group of ten matching, yet different, people stood up, one of them being Oaken. Six guys and four girls:
The redheaded boy that had been talking to Edmund said. “Brian Smith.”
“Kelly Tomson,” A tall girl, with her brown hair tied back in a ponytail, answered.
“Jacob Heft,” another called out. He was muscular, with a shaved head.
A fourth introduced himself as, David Turnmyre, but then added that you could call him Dave. He looked to be about eight, with long, unkempt black hair.
“Leanne Revlona,” said another. She was stereo-typical beautiful; blond hair, blue eyes, and an excellent figure. Not exactly Caleb's cup of tea.
Number six, said, “James Maclean,” he was gorgeous: Finely chiseled features, blue eyes, and stark white hair. Caleb hated him immediately.
“Trix Summer ” the third girl said. Another young one, probably about twelve. She had brown hair that traveled to her lower back.
Oaken smiled and waved at Caleb. “Oaken MacDuff,”
“I'm glad my last names not Macbeth,” Caleb said with a smile. Majority of the Benched people laughed, but none so loud as Oaken.
“Benjamin Evans and Sloan Baker,” A man, who could Caleb could only assume was Benjamin, said. He was tall, and neat. Beside him stood a girl, they were hand in hand, her dark hair in her eyes. She looked at her shoes.
“That's the summoner's ward,” Cadence announced, “Everyone give Caleb a warm welcome=” The room roared with applause. “-You can go back to your spot if you want.”
Caleb smiled at her, and made his way back down the steps. He shuffled back to his spot, and plopped down in between Oaken and Jack.
“Who wants to hear another song?” Cadence asked the crowd. The suggestion was met with a raucous bout of clapping and whistling.
Cadence laughed, and shouted “this ones called I'm human. One, two, three, four!”
This song was spoken word, and it went like this:

“I scream, but just into my pillow,
I wish I was strong, like my feelings for you, or a great willow.
I think, and it's a dangerous past-time,
No matter how much I wash I can't shake this blood and grime.
I smile, but it's always fake.
I pray to a God I don't believe in, just to see what difference it'll make
I fall, but there's no one to catch me,
And I'm left with a broken heart and a skinned knee
I plead with the devil, offering my soul
But he says it;s shattered and worth no more than coal.
I've attempted to hang, attempted to over dose,
But sometimes wonder if I'm just a character in a TV show.
I'm broken, broken hearted, and of broken stature.
At the very least my poor heart, has suffered a fracture.
I sip my drinks, but hardly taste,
I act happy, but it;s all saving face,
I bleed just like a normal human being,
i can be rude, cruel and obscene.
I hate the world, I hate myself,
Is it normal to pray for bad health?
I sing but no one hears,
My eyes are dried up, so it;s safe to say no more tears.
I breathe air, I've loved, I've lost,
I'm human.”

Chapter Four

Caleb, Cadence, Jack and Oaken sat under the bleachers of the training yard two days after the concert. They watched the combat ward go through their drills, and passed around a makeshift bong. Caleb put his lips around the mouth of the bottle, and sucked in. He loved the noise the bubbles made. He held it in, waited, and blew it out in a puff of white smoke.
“That was a good hit.” Jack admitted. “Now pass the bong.”
Caleb passed it over, and inched closer to Cadence. Hoping it was subtle.
Jack took a long hit, and blew it at Oaken. “You guys feeling it yet?” She asked.
“Meh, I've only taken half a hit.” Cadence said. She moved her hand closer to Caleb's. Was that an accident?
Oaken was staring at the snow. “Can you believe everyone of these things is different?”
“Unique just like you,” Caleb whispered to Caddy, “My little snowflake.”
Cadence flushed red, and Jack said: “What was that?”
“Nothing,” Caleb muttered. “The weeds just making me more confident than I should be.”
Oaken turned to Jack, “Aren't you supposed to be doing the training drills too?”
She shrugged a shoulder. “What if I am? You two are supposed to be with the summoner's ward at the firing range, and Caddy is supposed to be in the gym with the rest of the Devastator's ward.”
Cadence laughed, “I hope we're not too missed. Pass the pot.”
Jack handed her the bong, and she took a hoot, she coughed.
Caleb smiled at her, but his smile soon became tight, and he felt his body go rigid. He could feel himself falling face first in the snow but he couldn't do anything to stop it. He heard screaming, felt the cold, and then he felt nothing, heard nothing, and saw nothing but black.

The sky was dark. Pitch black to be accurate. The air smelt familiar: The ocean, and the scent of smoke from a bonfire. There was snow was up to his ankles, and for some reason he was out of breath. He must have been running. He wasn't much of a runner. But what was he running from? Caleb looked behind him, and saw nothing. Heard nothing. But there must have been something, someone, if he was moving at such a fast pace. His hands drifted to his pockets, and he pulled out his one form of defense: His cellphone. Caleb punched in 9-1-1, just in case. He didn't hit the call button just yet. He could just be hallucinating. Caleb could tell he was high as hell. He must have smoked what was left in his bag.
A new sound entered his ears. Screaming. Screaming and heavy footfall. Caleb ran, pressing the dial button on his phone, and holding it up to his ear. The phone call wouldn't go through. Caleb cursed and tried to dial again, but before he could, he hit a wall. No, not a wall, a chest.
Caleb fell to the ground, his phone flying out of his hands. He threw his arms in front of his face, and struggled to catch his breath. A cold piece of steel touched his throat. Caleb looked up and saw the silhouette of a man. He hissed, what sounded like. “Counter shadow.” But that didn't make any sense. The man wore, despite the cold, ripped leather pants, and no top. His white hair stretched to his shoulders, and his eyes were violet, no pupil, just violet. The smell of blood radiated from him.
Caleb felt his veins throb, not just one, every single one of them.
The man laughed. “I thought this one would be more a challenge, hey Iris?”
A black cloud of smoke appeared, and morphed into a woman. She was bald, with skin that was the colour of milk, and the same purple eyes. She wore a dark leather vest. A black sword was put over one of her shoulders. “I was hoping it'd be more of a challenge,” she said. “It's more fun when they run.”
Caleb's veins continued throbbing, his fingers tingled, and he let out a scream. A new figure appeared. At first Caleb thought it was another enemy, as it was shrouded in black smoke, but it swung a shadowy blade at the man. He raised his steel up to ward off the blow, and Caleb rolled away.
The one the man called Iris shrieked, and charged the silhouette, sword raised,
Caleb got to his feet, and ran as fast as his feet could take him.
“Get him!” The man yelled, causing Iris to bolt after him. She reached him in what seemed like seconds, gripped him by the collar and tossed him to the ground like a rag doll. She swung her blade in a wide arc, and Caleb stumbled back, the blow landing across his leg and causing a deep gash. He screamed., and dots formed in front of his eyes. The last thing he saw before passing out was an axe go through Iris's skull.

Caleb's eyes snapped open. He was on a bed in the medica, he could tell courtesy to the uncomfortable mattress. The sound of acoustic guitar playing town red, Caleb's favourite acoustic band, caused him to turn his head. Cadence sat in an armless chair, strumming chords, and softly humming.
“Hello, Snowflake.”
Cadence did a cute little hop. “You're up,” she exclaimed, her hand on her heart.
“I'm up,” Caleb said. “How long was I out for?”
Cadence counted on her fingers, “Three hours, I think.”
Caleb shrugged off his blanket and sat up. The blood rushed to his head, making him dizzy. His pant leg was rolled up to reveal the cut on his thigh. Fresh dressing was placed on it. “How long have you been here?”
She smiled. “About three hours. Jack and Oaken just left, probably, fifteen minutes ago.”
“Fair enough.”
Cadence smiled at him, “So it's just me, your snowflake. Is that okay?”
“I guess it's okay,” Caleb told her with a wink.
“Don't do that!”
Caleb raised his eyebrows, “Do what?”
“Wink!” Cadence exclaimed.
“Why not?”
“Cause I can't.” She said matter of factly.
Caleb laughed and then blurted out, “You're perfect.” He felt his face turn red.
She shifted uncomfortably.v in her chair, and strummed a chord absentmindedly on her guitar. “I'm so far from perfect, Caleb.” She said quietly.
Before Caleb could take her hand and tell her how amazing she was, how he adored that she couldn't wink and the way she sang, Edmund Nash walked in. “Oh good, you're up.”
Caleb gave him a false smile. “I'm up.”
Edmund raised an eyebrow, detected the tension in the room and said, “Am I interrupting something?”
In unison, Cadence and Caleb said, “No.”
“That was a little fast, for not interrupting anything.” Edmund said, tapping the side of his nose. “But that's no matter, I have to talk to Caleb alone anyway.”
Cadence got up from the chair, gave the pair of them a smile, and shuffled from the room.
Caleb slumped against his bed.. He knew what was coming, the you have a weak and vulnerable mind, you shouldn't be smoking up. He'd got it from every psychiatrist he ever had, and now he was about to get it from his new doctor.
Instead Edmund said, “I heard you were muttering in your sleep. Something about a man and a woman. You kept repeating something, counter shadow. Do you know what that means?” He asked gently.
“No, not really.”
“It means your special. Strong willed, protected.”
Caleb was taken aback. Instead of being told he was weak minded, and vulnerable, he was told the opposite. “I see.”
“The more important part is: You heard the departed talk. To most people it comes out as a hiss. To me even, it comes out as a hiss.”
“What does that mean?” Caleb asked.
Edmund sighed, and took the seat Cadence had left unoccupied. “It means you're special to say the least.” He took Caleb's hand and felt for his pulse. “I want you to keep this between just the two of us though. People already look to you as some sort of God, because of your taking on the departed.”
Caleb laughed. He didn't mean to, but this was all just so ridiculous. A week ago he was just some introverted kid. Now he was some sort of God. “This is crazy,” he admitted.
“Life is crazy,” Edmund said simply.
Caleb nodded. “That's true. Yeah, I can keep this a secret.”
The wrinkles on Edmund's face deepened, “Remember something. The great often die young.
“Well,” Caleb said. “Let's pray I'm not so great.”
Edmund clapped him on the shoulder. “Here's to not being great.”
Someone cleared their throat, and Edmund and Caleb turned to see Jack leaning against the door to the Medica. “You've been in here, more than you've been out of here.”
Caleb shrugged. “Gotta stay healthy, y'know.”
Jack smiled at him, “How ya feeling?” She asked, plopping herself down on the foot of his bed.
“Pretty alright, I guess.”
Edmund patted him on the shoulder. “I'll leave you two to it. Oh and Caleb, remember what I said.” He tapped the side of his nose, and made his exit
Jack didn't ask, instead she smacked his good leg and said. “You ready to get up?”
Caleb nodded. “Let\s get the hell out of here.”
They walked through the door, and were ambushed by a bunch of kids. Caleb recognized David's bright face amongst the crowd.
The children whispered, “You ask him,” and pushed David towards the front. He thrust out his chest, and in a what would be confident voice asked. |Is it true you had a seizure?”
Caleb looked at Jack, who nodded. “Of some sorts, yeah.”
“Did it hurt?”
“Not really, I don't think.” Caleb told the splurge of children.
David nodded as if that's what he'd expected. “Flicker has seizures. Ep-Epi,” he struggled to pronounce his next word. “Epileptic seizures.”
“That means I have Epilepsy,” A girl said stepping forward. She was perhaps eight, with dark skin. Her black hair was tied into two separate braids. “My real name is Brianna. They call me Flicker cause I have to stay away from flickering lights and stuff.”
“Makes sense,” Caleb admitted.
“Oh, hey Jack.” Flicker said, as if she had just realized she was there. The other children followed her example, and said hello to Jack.
“Hey Kiddos,” Jack answered with a smile. “How've you guys been?”
They all responded, most with good, others with bad, some just said meh.
“Well that's great,” Jack announced. “Well for you doing good that is. For the ones doing bad, I hope you feel better, but me and Caleb have places to be and people to see.”
Caleb loved Jack for that. He couldn't stomach children, but nonetheless, he smiled and said, “Bye guys.”
The children waved as they made their departure.
“Where are we going?” Caleb asked, as Jack swung open the door to the outside world.
She smiled at him, and held up a set of keys., “I need more cigarettes.”
“Where'd you get those?” Caleb inquired, a grin was starting to form on his lips.
Jack laughed, “Edmund\s door isn't always locked, y'know?”
“Are we getting the others?”
“Nah, let's just make this a you and me trip, okay?”
Caleb nodded, “I'm down.”
Jack clapped him on the back, “Good. You didn't really have an option.”
Together they walked, or rather snuck, to the camp gates. Jack was quiet as a mouse, and graceful as a cat. Caleb on the other hand was quiet as a banshee, and graceful as a landed fish.
After reaching the entrance to Port Barrier, Jack used the keys to swing open the gate. All attempt at silence was immediately nullified when the gate swung open with a loud creak.
Jack cursed, “I forgot about that,” She looked around to make sure no one had heard them. No one did.
“So what exactly does Edmund have for a set of wheels?” Caleb asked.
She spun the keys on her fingers, “A Seventy Six Ferrari.” Jack said it like it was nothing. Caleb knew minimal about vehicles, or machines in general, but he knew that was a nice car.
He asked the only thing he could think of, “What colour?”
“Black and white of course.”
Caleb nodded, as if he knew it all along. “Does it, uh , have heated seats?”
Jack raised her eyebrows, “No?”
“Just a hope,” Caleb said, rubbing his hands together in a vain attempt to ward off the cold.
“Puss,” Jack muttered. “It's like minus five.” She wore her pink windbreaker, and a pair of baggy blue jeans. Her axe sat on her side, easy to access.
“Where do you come from? The Arctic?”
Jack laughed and exited the wards of Port Barrier. “E-Town.” She called back.
Caleb nodded, that made sense if she was so used to this damned snowy weather. He exited the camp, and he immediately felt his stomach do a flip. There was a gnawing hunger, like he just got the munchies.
A large house and separate garage sat in front of the pair of them. Jack walked towards the garage keypad, punched in a code, and the large door ascended, allowing them to enter.
The Ferrari took up a large majority of the space, and the Harley beside it took up even more; but there was still enough room for a workbench in the back corner. There was an impressive collection of weaponry adorning the walls.
Jack unlocked the car, turned the key in the ignition, and called, “Hop in.”

Chapter Five

Jack pounded on the steering wheel to the beat of the music. She was listening to Beverly Hills Alive, and singing along. She was about as terrible as Caleb. The view out the window was beautiful. Mountains, frozen lakes, and countless trees in all sort of variety. Unfortunately it passed by in a blur.
“Pretty smooth ride, hey?”
Caleb gripped the seat tightly. Jack was a speed demon, going at a buck ninety down the dirt road. “Yeah pretty smooth.”
“You okay? You look pale.” Jack said, with a raised eyebrow.
“Yeah, I'm all good.” There was a definite shake to his voice.
Jack shrugged, “If you say so. Ooh a text.” She pulled out her phone, unlocked it, and used her knees to steer while responding.
“Won't need heated seats for long at this rate.| Caleb muttered.
“But on the bright side, we'll get fresh smokes in like an hour instead of two.” Jack finished her text and hid her phone away.
Caleb couldn't help but smile, he knew the lust for cigarettes well. Before his mom knew he'd been smoking, he'd have to weekends cold turkey. “That makes sense, man.”
Jack laughed, “I've been limiting myself to one a day for the last three days.I need some fresh packs.”
“Why don't you just buy a carton?”
She shrugged, “I'm trying to cut back I guess.”
“That's good!” Caleb exclaimed. “How long have you been smoking?”
“Since I was twelve, so eleven years.”
Suddenly the hacking cough made sense. “What made you start?”
Jack shifted in her seat. “Honestly?”
Caleb nodded, then added. “I mean if you want to share that is.”
“I was by myself for a lot of my life. When I say alone I don't just mean like, I don't know how to explain it, I don't mean just an introvert. I mean i literally had no one. My mom left me shortly after birth, with my father. He's nice enough, but he doesn't know the first thing about being a daddy, y'know? Anyway in grade six I finally found a group of friends...They were in grade ten. They first introduced me to drugs, alcohol, and of course, cigarettes. I did a lot of stupid shit, all for the sake of fitting in, but y'know what they say: No regrets.”
Caleb placed his hand over hers on the center console. “I'm so sorry.”
Jack shrugged, “Oh well. Some people have it worst.”
“That doesn't make it suck any less.”
She laughed, “That's true, but it was a long time ago. I'll be fine.” Jack retracted her hand.
“Okay, good.” Caleb checked himself out in the mirror. He looked the same as always: Short brown hair, blue eyes, pale complexion, and a black beanie. But he felt foreign in his own skin.He was being told he was not the kid he was a week ago, and was in fact something much more powerful. It was just bizarre. Life was bizarre.
“What about you?” Jack asked. “When and why did you start?”
Caleb shrugged a shoulder “I started last year, grade eleven. Just needed another release self harm just didn't cut it. Pun intended."
Jack rolled her eyes. “Not funny. Just don't say that around Caddy, she's sensitive about that kinda stuff.”
“Duly noted.”
They rode in silence for a good ten minutes, before Jack turned down the music and said. “I'm thinking of an animal, who is gray.”
“What?” Caleb asked, peeling his eye away from the scenery.
Jack grinned at him. “Don't go on many long car trip, do ya? It's a car game, you try to guess the animal I'm thinking of with the information I give you. Like I said: I'm thinking of an animal who is grey.”
“A shark?” Caleb asked, taking a stab in the dark.
“Nope.”
“Where's the animal live?”
Jack scoffed. “That'd give it away!”
“Is it an elephant?”
“Ooh so close.”
“Does it live in Africa?” Caleb wondered.
“Yes.”
He shrugged, and said, “Rhino?”
Jack shook her head.
“Hippo then?”
She nodded, “You got it. Your turn!”
“I'm thinking of an animal, whose black.”
Jack put a finger on her lip and asked, “Is it a penguin?”
“Fuck this game.”
She laughed. She had a pretty laugh, and her smile showed her gums. “Well what do you suggest we do?”
Caleb shrugged, “We could just ask each other questions, I don't know much about you.”
Jack nodded, “Sounds fun. What's your favourite colour?”
“Purple, like a dark purple though. How about you?”
“Easily blue! I used to have blue streaks in my hair, but it was much longer back then, I shaved it for cancer.” Jack answered.
Caleb rubbed his stubble covered chin, before asking, “Has Cadence ever talked about me?”
“I thought you were trying to learn about me,” Jack chided, sticking her tongue out. “I shouldn't say, but I ship you two so hard, so I will. Yes she has.” Jack then paused, and said. “You do like her, right? You're not just playing games? I know sometimes guys do that. Trust me I know.”
“I like her. or what I know of her I like. Was that you question?”
Jack nodded.
“Why do you go by Jack, and not Jacqueline?” Caleb asked her, worrying he was treading on icy territory.
Jack cracked her knuckles. “My grandpa's name is, well was, Jack. He basically raised me, when my dad wasn't around...He meant the world too me, so I carry his name. Plus I was always a tomboy type.”
Caleb smiled at her, a concoction of pity and reassurance. “That's really sweet. I'm sorry for you loss, by the way.”
“It was three years ago, I didn't see much of him towards the end, I moved out when I was seventeen. But thank you, it means a lot too me.”
“Your turn.” Caleb said.
Jack rolled down her window and let her hand ride the airwaves. “Um, are you a virgin?”
“Nope. I just recently got out of a long term relationship. Two years almost. How about you?” Caleb asked, his face red.
Jack laughed. “No, I haven't been 'pure' for a long time. Like I said I did a lot of stupid shit.”
“I can relate to that,” Caleb admitted. “Do you like to read?”
She grinned. “I love it! Books are amazing. How about you? Do you read?”
“Hell yeah! They're an escape for me.”
Jack bowed her head in agreement. “They definitely do that. You burn, right?”
“How'd you know that?” Caleb asked, his back stiffening.
“I've seen your leg, hon. Theres smilies all over it. So either you belong to Bic, or you burn.”
Caleb laughed. “You caught me: I belong to Bic.”
Jack grinned but it soon turned sour. “But in all seriousness, how have you been doing? I know how hard it is to quit doing that. I carve.”
“I haven't done it in a while.”
“How long is a while?” Jack asked.
Caleb shrugged a shoulder. “Since I got to Port Barrier.”
“That's not even a week,” Jack exclaimed. “Well I guess it's a-” Jack's word was cut off by a scream escaping her lips. Caleb threw his arm across her, to keep her from going through the windshield. There was a shriek of steel on steel, and Caleb's head rocketed forward, then was driven back into his headrest. He cried out in pain Dots formed in front of Caleb's eyes, but he forced himself to stay conscious.
“Are you okay?” It was Jack\s voice, but it sounded far away and hollow. Her face loomed over his, and he managed a grimace that was supposed to be a smile. Jack had tears in her eyes.
Caleb reached up and stroked her cheek, “I'm okay. Are you?”
Jack shrugged. “I've been better.”
“We have to check on the people we hit,” Caleb said, the realization hitting him harder than the crash, they could have killed someone.
“You stay here,” Jack said. “I'll check on them.” She opened the car door, with great struggle, and limped towards the car they'd hit.
The moment Jack left, it dawned on Caleb how odd this was. The car had come out of nowhere. Caleb only knew of that happening one other time...”Jack,” he called, but it was too late. She was lifted from her feet from the throat, by a burly man. He stood, Caleb would estimate, almost eight feet tall, and his arms were massive. The hand that gripped Jack, was double the size of Caleb's. He didn't even know how the man fit in the car seat.
Caleb wrenched open his door, and drew his dirk. Dots formed in front of his eyes, but he pushed them away, he couldn't just sit there. “Hey!” He screamed. “Put her down. Now.”
The large man laughed, and tossed Jack aside. She fell, in a crumpled heap. “Counter shadow,” He hissed, drawing a hatchet from his belt. “You're Just the icing on the cake., we are so fortunate to be graced by your company..”
We? Caleb thought, but just as the thought surfaced it went back under. Another man stepped from the wreckage of the car. He shook his head. Where the other man was mammoth in muscle, this man, departed, whatever, was mammoth in girth. He had long ginger hair, and those terrifying purple eyes that seemed to see right through you. He wore a half opened silk shirt revealing a hairy chest. A sword was in his hands, and a cigarette was in his mouth.
Caleb must have looked ridiculous, with his tiny dagger, but he didn't give two shits. He needed to save Jack. That's when Caleb charged at the burly one
The departed must have been taken by surprise, as he jumped backward and made a very unfitting yelp. He came to his senses quickly however, and gripped Caleb by the shoulder, wrenched him around, and drove his meaty fist into Caleb's jaw. Caleb fell against the dirt road, on his hands and knees. He spat out a wad of blood, and what looked like a tooth, and eased himself to his feet.
The fat man laughed, it was a high pitched and cruel cackle. “Look at him,” he sneered to the other., around his cigarette “He thinks he's going to get up. We'll just have to fix that.”
Caleb could hear the man's heavy foot falls, and wheezing as he approached. Then, when he could see the man's black loafers, he felt a searing pain as a blunt object was driven into his back. Caleb felt the wind flee from his lungs, and he collapsed, dropping his dirk. The fat man must have hit him with the pommel of his sword.
“Get that steak knife out of his reach,” The fat man ordered, he stepped on Caleb's fingers as he passed. “We'll be eating like kings after we deliver this one.”
Caleb managed a bloody smile, and said, “I don't think you need to be eating like a king.” An agonizing hurt spread across his side, curtsy of the muscled man. Caleb was sure he cracked a rib or two.
“You shut your mouth, you insolent piece of scum. You talk to the finest bounty hunters in all of the land.” The fat one snapped.
Muscle head snarled, “Can't we just kill ourselves? If he's to die anyway, may as well be by our hands.”
“No you fool. We need both of them! Get the girl.”
Caleb felt all his veins start throbbing, and his fingers tingled. The feeling slowly went up his arm, and spread to his chest. Soon enough the tingling encased his whole body. He struggled to find his footing. One, two, three, up! Caleb managed to raise himself to his feet. “Don't touch her.” He growled. Next he did what felt natural, and raised his hand. Tendrils of purple smoke burst from his palm, it ensnared the fat one, and constricted around his enormous girth. The departed's shriek pierced the air. Things seemed to be going well, until Caleb remembered the muscled one. He got a pretty rude dose of recognition, in the form of a fist.
He was floored, the second the blow connected with his temple.
The flames around the fat one dissipated. “Fucking scum,” he screamed, picking his sword up from the dirt. “I have half a mind to kill you, and bring your head to Renamax.” The fat man's silk shirt had been reduced to cinders, and the fire had left brutal burns around his chest and abdomen.
Caleb spit a gob of crimson at the fat man;s shoes. “Kill me then,” he snapped. “But kill me with a weapon in my hand.”
That made the man laugh. “Boy, what led you to believe I had any sort of honor. Dread, tie this child up, and the girl too. We really must be going.”
It was then, when everything seemed loss, that hope was born. Hope today was in the form of the engine of a Harley. Edmund Nash appeared, a cloud of dirt billowing behind him. One hand on the handle, the other gripped a sword. Riding behind him, and holding on to his waist for dear life was Cadence.
Edmund drove by the fat one, and lobbed off his head. A fountain of blood sprouted from his neck.
Dread had time to say, “Renamaz will kill you, all of you!.” Before he was severed from shoulder too waist.
The corpses fell to the ground, and sank into it, leaving nothing behind but a blood stain.
Caleb wiped the blood, his and the fat ones, from his face. He stooped down to pick up his dirk, just as a third vehicle rolled up. An old clunker car, sporting patches of rust, and a hideous baby blue paint job. Oaken hopped out.
“You frigging idiot!” Oaken yelled at Caleb. “You could have died!” He stepped closer, and Caleb was scared he was going to punch, but instead he pulled him into a hug. “You're one of my smoke buddies, I can't lose you!”
Caleb hugged him back, and from the ditch Jack's voice called. “I could go for some smokes.”
The four of them rushed to her, Edmund leading the pack. He was surprisingly fast for a forty something year old man. He knelt beside Jack, and cupped her face in his calloused hands. Edmund kissed her on the forehead. “Thank god you're okay.” There was angry red hand marks around Jack's neck, and some bruising, but nothing that looked too serious.
“I'm sorry about the car, Ed.” Jack said, through a fit of coughing.
Edmund rolled his eyes, and pulled Caleb and Jack into a hug. “I'm just glad you idiots are okay. The car can be replaced.” Oaken and Cadence joined in on the embrace, and they all sat in the snow covered ditch for a good while before Edmund said, “What were you guys thinking?”
“Honestly, I was thinking I needed smokes.” Jack admitted.
Edmund sighed. “To tell the truth, I think we could all use a cigarettes after this shit show.” He produced a pack from the inside pocket of his leather jacket, and dolled them out. “Not a word.”
Cadence looked like she might faint, but spoke for all of them when she said, “”Your secret is safe with us.”
Jack produced a light from her coat, lit her smoke, and passed the lighter along. “Black Lung is back.” She called to no one in particular.
Oaken and Cadence laughed, but Caleb raised his eyebrows. “Black Lung?” He asked.
“When I used to smoke, I smoked around two packs a day, that dubbed me the nickname 'Black Lung.' As much as I told Jacqueline not to call me that.”
Jack stuck her tongue out at him. “Bite me, old man.”
“I think I preferred Black Lung,” Edmund muttered. “Now let's get out of here before the Narks come. Who's going with who?”

Two minutes later, Cadence and Caleb piled into the back of Oaken's old beater, and Jack hopped on the back of Edmund's bike. Edmund drove off with a wheelie, that made Jack scream. Oaken waved to them, and yelled. “See you at camp!”
“Dibs on the aux cable,” Cadence announced, taking the pink jack and plugging it into her phone. She threw on some Town Red, and sang along. Reaffirming in Caleb's mind that she was in fact, perfection. He added his crappy voice to her gorgeous one, and Oaken even sang along with the chorus (the only part he knew.)
It was somewhere between the songs, Leaving Home, and, The World's Worst Pessimist. That Cadence grabbed his hand. Oaken winked at him from the rear view mirror.
Caleb glared at him, but a smile soon broke through. Oaken smiled back.
Cadence rested her head against his shoulder, and hummed softly along with the music. She smelled like vanilla. Cadence looked up at him with beautiful green eyes, as if asking. Is this okay? Caleb pulled her hand up to his mouth and pressed his lips against it.
“Hey,” Oaken called from the front. “This ain't no limo, I can't just put up a screen.”
Cadence threw a piece of crumpled up paper at him, and in unison her and Caleb said, “Shut up Oaken.”
Oaken veered to the left, causing them to collide, and become even closer. They knocked their heads together. “Whoops,” Oaken said.
“Dick,” Cadence muttered, rubbing her skull.
Caleb thew a fast food bag at him. “At least you go the speed limit.”
Oaken laughed, “Yes. Driving with Jack is scary to say the least.”
“I'm glad you're safe,” Cadence murmured. “If I had known what you and Jack were going to do, well I would have offered to go with you! And I most certainly would have given you this. Oaken close your eyes” She paused, then added, “Or don't cause your driving.” Cdence put her hands around Caleb's neck, and pulled him close to her, and kissed him full on the mouth. She tasted like cigarettes, and weed. It was perfect. When she went to retract, Caleb placed his hands on her lower back, and pushed her in tighter. Their tongues danced together., and Cadence's hands ran up and down his back, whilst Caleb's hands ran through her hair.
Oaken honked the horn, and they pair jumped back. “I'm glad you two are happy and all, but really, why in my car?”
Cadeb shrugged, “I guess cause Edmund's motorcycle wouldn't fit three.”
“Listen,” Cadence said. “It's You and I, this could be our song!”
“That's the song you were humming while I was in the medica, Snowflake. It's like destiny.”
Cadence kissed him again.
“You know,” Caleb said after they were apart.. “I usually hate tongue, but this feels right.”
From the front seat Oaken exclaimed, “You hate tongue?”
“Usually it's just too much.” Caleb muttered sheepishly.
Cadence laughed at him with that adorable laugh. “I'll stick to minimal tongue then.”
“Thank you,”
Oaken chuckled, “I don't mind too much tongue Caddy, how about a kiss for me.”
Cadence made a face like she just ate something sour, “You're like my brother!”
“What kind of bullshit is that?” Oaken snapped.
Cadence laughed, and pulled Caleb closer to herself. “I'm all his anyway, aren't I?”
“Yes,” Caleb agreed, not knowing what else to say.
Cadence placed her head on his shoulder again and closed her eyes. Oaken looked at him from the front of the car with raised eyebrows. Caleb mouthed, I guess we're together now. He didn't know how he felt about that.

Chapter Six

Caleb didn't want to wake Cadence. She looked so beautiful sleeping on his shoulder. He wouldn't mind staying like that all night; but they had pulled up behind the house, and their, a little too adventurous trek was coming to an end. The sky was pitch black by that time.
He shook her shoulder, and whispered her name, until she stirred. Cadence rubbed her eyes with her knuckles, and sat up. “Where are we?”
“Back at Port Barrier,” Caleb told her, rubbing the stiffness out of his arm. “You look like an angel when you sleep.”
Cadence laughed, “You only like me when I'm sleeping, cause I'm quiet.”
“Cheers to that,” Oaken muttered, still sore over the lack of kissing.
Caleb put his arm around her, “You're just as amazing when you're awake.”
“You're just saying that,” Cadence said through a yawn. She took her phone out of her pocket. “Holy shit, it's already eleven-thirty. I've got to get into bed.”

“Caleb, I\d like to talk to you and Jack. Alone.” Edmund said, cutting the power to his motorcycle. He wheeled it into the garage, put up the kickstand, and ushered the pair of them in. Caleb kissed Cadence on the cheek, to which Jack raised her eyebrows but didn't say anything. After goodbyes they slowly followed, neither wanting to lead their way to their inevitable doom.
Edmund used his keys to open the door. They made their way through the garage, up a set of steps, and into the house. Caleb almost forgot that he was about to be chewed out. Almost. First thing he noticed: the smell. It was like he just stepped into Nabob.; the aroma of coffee beans assaulted his nostrils, almost too powerful. Caleb would have guessed there was at least twenty masks lining the walls, or what you could see of them s at least. Bookshelves of varying sizes, colours and textures were, in some places, stacked to the ceiling. They bore countless books. Hardcover, paperback, some were bound in leather or cloth, most of their pages were yellowed with age. It was beautiful,. That was just the entry hall. When they entered, what must have been a living room, Caleb almost lost his shit. The room was huge, complete with an seventy inch flat screen, four white leather couches, and a coffee table with each leg carved to represent a fox in a different position. The table sat on a white shag carpet, and on the table sat a vase filled with white roses. Under the T.V. a large marble fireplace homed a crackling fire, and the mantle homed countless sculptures: A wooden model of a topless African woman, a trio of creepy looking dolls, and innumerable foxes.
“This is an amazing house, Edmund.” Caleb admitted, his eye catching the tall floor speakers in every corner.
Edmund gave him a weak smile, “Thank you.”
Jack laughed, “Just wait till you meet the occupants.”
“Other people live here?” Caleb asked, peeling his eyes from a suit of samurai armor, to look at Edmund.
“Three. Three Counter Shadows: Simon King, Erin Foster, and Bora Kim.”
Caleb raised his eyebrows, “That’s why we’re here?”
“Partly,” Edmund confessed.
“Well what’s the other part?”
Before Edmund could respond a tall man, came down the stairs wringing his hands together. He was rather attractive, or was supposed to be. He was pretty beat up, with blackened eyes, and countless scratches. A long scar ran from his jaw line, to his right eye. It looked like someone had taken a nail and drove it down. A plaid button up, hole filled jeans, bright orange Vans, and lime green tunnels made up his attire. He stopped at the landing, looked at the trio, and sat on the wooden steps. “What do you need, Edmund? More recruits?” The man, possibly a couple years older than Jack, stared at them with daggers.
Edmund put his arms around Caleb and Jack. “Two Counter Shadows for you, Simon. You know Jack, this is Caleb.”
Simon sniffed the air. “A necromancer. A powerful one at thatt. Hello Jack, you've cut your hair since we last spoke. It looks good." There was no kindness in his words , only courtesy.
A shiver went down Caleb's spine. How could he just pick up that Caleb was a necromancer? He glanced at Jack, but she seemed more flattered than anything else, as if this always happened. She rand a hand through her hair.
“What did you want me to do with them, Ed?” Simon enquired, folding his arms over a broad chest.
Edmund's face was grave. “She's back. Renamax, is back.”
“What?” Simon demanded. “That's not possible, I saw her die. I saw you kill her. You drove a sword through her chest.” He pointed to the sword at Edmund's belt. “That's the sword!”
Edmund motioned for quiet. “I know, I know. We knew that this wasn't permanent though, she's just back much sooner than I'd hoped or anticipated.”
“Wait,” Caleb said. “You mean, these things, the Departed, they come back?”
Simon answered before Edmund had even opened his mouth, “You think we're the only ones with necromancers?” He snorted. “You've been lucky enough to only meet with bounty hunters.” Simon lifted his top and peeled back a bandage to reveal a grisly, but familiar sight: Burns. As Simon worked at the dressing, the marring were proved to be in the shape of a hand print. “This was from a combat mage-” Simon paused, and rubbed his temples. “But that's not important, what's important is that Renamx is back.”
“Who is Renamax?” Caleb asked.
Edmund shifted uncomfortably, “We should sit down for this.”
“Yay,” Simon muttered. “Story time.” He led the way to the couches, and plopped down on a love seat, his legs resting over the arms. 'Want me to wake up, Bora and Erin?”
“Yes, they should meet their new recruits” Edmund said, taking a cigarettes out of his jacket. “I'll need this if I'm going to retell this store again.”
Simon got up with a groan, and ran up the stairs. After the noise of opening doors, there was loud crashing and Simon yelling, “Get up you good for nothing shit heads!” Then a female voice shouting back, “We're up, you twat!” Then there was stomping down the stairs, and two people appeared, hand in hand. A man and a woman. The woman was deathly skinny. Her ribcage prominent through her flowered dress. She had long brown hair, and piercing blue eyes that seemed to know exactly what you were thinking, at that exact moment. Caleb hoped that wasn't true, because he was thinking. Anorexic. She was much younger than the man. Probably fifteen, where the man was at least twenty. “Erin Foster,” she said, with a curled lip. Caleb shook her hand.
The man waved. “Bora Kim,” He was tall and lithe, with black, spiked hair. His eyes were dark and intelligent, but appeared kind enough. Bora wore a set of grey sweatpants, and a white t-shirt that stretched to his knees.
“Caleb Lynch,” Edmund said, giving him a little nudge forward. “And you know Jack of course.”
The girl looked at the pair of them with absolute disdain, the two men however shook their hands, and clapped them on the shoulder.
“Welcome to our modest home,” Bora announced.
Simon laughed, “’Modest home? ‘We have a seventy inch flat screen on our wall, and a Seventy Six Ferrari in our garage!”
Jack switched weight from foot to foot, and retreated behind Edmund a bit.
“About the car,” Edmund said, sparing them the task of admitting what they’d done. “It was in an accident.”
Simon’s mouth fell open and Bora collapsed to his knees. “I got laid for the first time in that Ferrari!” He announced, rather too loudly. Caleb was sure that the people in camp heard it.
\ Edmund rounded on him. “What did I say about sex in the seventy six?”
“For shame,” Simon scolded, shaking his head and wagging his finger.
Erin laughed. It was a pretty laugh. “Please, Sim, you sleep with more people in that damned vehicle than anyone else.”
“There isn't much sleeping,” Simon admitted.
Everyone cringed. Well everyone except Bora, who highfived him.
“Why'd you wake us up,” Erin asked, ignoring the laughing and highfiving pair.
Edmund sat down and put his head in his hands. “Renamax is back. She's back.”
That sobered the couple up, Bora looked like he just followed a fly: Nauseated and scared it was going to lay eggs in his stomach. Simon's mouth was a grim line.
“Well shit,” Erin muttered. “But I thought-”
“I thought that too,” Edmund confessed. “But it seems we were wrong.”
Bora put his hand on Erin's shoulder, recovering his senses. “This is not good, Ed.”
“Okay,” Caleb said. “Whose Renamax?”
Everyone looked at him like he was an idiot, but he didn't care he wanted answers. Renamax was obviously bad news.
“Sit,” Edmund suggested, pointing to a cushy white armchair.
Caleb obeyed.
“Renamax: How do I explain her? She's a good person, of sorts. Just motivated and influenced by the wrong things. She used to be very dear to me.” By the defeated look on Edmund's face, Caleb could tell this was true. He could also tell there was more to that story, but he didn't push. “She wants the world, as most cliché villains, under her command. She wants us to be recognized for who we are, but the worlds just not ready for that. She insists on a hierarchy, with counter shadows being on the top, and as she calls them, regulars, on the bottom. She has an army of Departed at her command.”
Caleb stroked his chin. They were dealing with a super villain, and all they had was a camp of depressed teenagers. Granted most of them were proficient with swords, or bows, or magic, but still, an army versus fifty or so kids? No contest. “An army of those things?”
Edmund nodded gravely.
“Erin summed it up nicely,” Jack admitted. “Well shit.”
Edmund nodded again.
“So, no offense, but where do we come in?” Caleb asked, gesturing to him and Jack.
“Well as you may have figured out...Both you and Jack are Counter Shadows, and as you know so are Sim, Bora, and Erin. Renamax will go to great lengths to preserve your lives...She wants to corrupt you, make you part of her hierarchy. Renamax has a way with words. She's a Counter Shadow, but not just any Counter Shadow. She's an orator. Through Speech she can get you to do most anything. She can force you to kill yourself, and she can push her body to new limits just by telling it to do so. It's the rarest of the rare. Yet for someone who can speak so well, she's easily manipulated. She always wanted to fit in, and would do anything to do so. Jack would have already been part of the Watch Tower, what this building is called, had it not been for underlying circumstances.” Edmund explained.
“Let's not go there.” Jack muttered, her cheeks red.
Erin glowered at her, and through gritted teeth said, “I agree.”
Caleb knew something happened between the pair of them. Erin placed her hand, tightly over Bora's. The gesture could have meant nothing, but Caleb suspected it meant one thing: He's mine, bitch.
“But now?” Caleb inquired.
“But now...We need as many Counter Shadows as we can get to build up the resistance. Finding you was lucky, I just hope my luck persists. Our lucky persists, I should say. I am heading out tomorrow morning on a quest for more of you.”
This took everyone aback.
“So soon?” Bora asked. “You just went out looking for more recruits, like five days ago...If you keep going at this rate, the Departed are going to start catching on to what we're doing.”
Edmund shrugged, “It needs to be done. I have to find them before the Departed do. Before they're corrupted.”













































Sign up to rate and review this story