Categories > Games > Halo > Rebache

Act I Chapter III: Midtown Madness

by sgtlegendkiller 0 reviews

Chapter 3!!

Category: Halo - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover,Sci-fi - Published: 2015-04-14 - Updated: 2015-07-04 - 3412 words

0Unrated
SGTLEGENDKILLEЯ
Rebache
Act I Chapter III
“Midtown Madness”

A1C3 Track
Beg ~ Saliva (Every Six Seconds)

D: 3:12 p.m. June 15th, 2016

Sam sighed as he dug his hands into the pockets of his jeans. His steps were lively and brisk as he was late for a commitment that he himself set. Nicky was waiting for him to pick her up from work at three in the afternoon and he was now just a lick over 10 minutes late for that. Deep down he knew she wouldn’t care all that much, however due to his gentlemanly intuition, he felt disappointed in himself that he had let her down as he picked her up every Wednesday at the same time.. It wasn’t even really his fault in fact, as there was some idiot who wanted to have a several minute conversation with the only cashier at the gas station he stopped at and traffic was fairly heavy and, of course, slow for whatever reason. Maybe it was the time of the year where there were tourists from out of state sightseeing and blocked up the roads.

Sam sighed once again as he hit the lock button on his key dongle. His Challenger chirped loudly from the parking space nearby and he, with a sort of finesse, spun the key ring around his index finger before catching it in his palm and shoving into his right pocket. He continued on walking the sideway towards the GameStop. The awning of the stores in the plaza provided some shade of the sun that bear down onto the sandy surface of Texas. It wasn’t that bad compared to any other day of the month, you just got out of the sun as much as you could.

He had managed to clean house in all of the crew’s class the last weekend at the Battlemaster venue. He had spent the entire weekend gathering up several hundreds of thousands of dollars. Most of it was put and split towards the crew entirely as it always was; he just got the largest cut of all. He had put most of that into a ‘safe vault’ he had and a bit towards vehicle maintenance. He had quite a bit built up of course, however he was saving up to buy himself a nice workspace and garage lot for himself and whatever vehicles he wanted to procure or work on. He also wanted to get a house that he could share with Nicky; the more honest goal of saving the money.

There was quite a few cars in the parking lot that Sam could see on his short walk to the game store. He was damn near certain that a lot of them was here for the little mini-JCPennies and the book store that rested on the opposite end of the plaza from the GameStop. There was nothing really to look at in terms of motor vehicles, with the exception of one that came into his view as he got just a few yards from the GameStop: A certain yellow colored Chevrolet Corvette Z06 that sat in a parking spaces from the store between two sedans. Sam’s eye twitched.

Inside the store, Nicky was just doing some basic trivial work that she could leave at any moment whenever Sam showed up. This mainly was the boring task of checking all of the stock to see if it was all perfectly alphabetized. It was something she did to keep herself busy throughout the day. It was done quite a bit on her shift due to children who never could handle the urge to essentially throw games around. Now was a good time to do it anyway as there was only one customer in the store. She moved an Xbox One game and ended up accidentally dropping a copy of the new Marathon game onto the floor from the shelf.

“Shit…” She cursed out under her breath before bending over to pick it up.

“Oh, hello sweet pea!” A voice spoke out behind her just before she felt someone grab her ass through her jeans.

“Hey!” She yelped and stood up, leaving the game on the floor. She turned to see Chad standing there with a large smile across his face.

“Sorry, babe… Did I scare you?” He soothed to her. “Let me help you with that” Chad grabbed her by the sides and tried to move in for a kiss.

Nicky promptly graced his cheek with an open hand smack. “No!” She yelled at him, causing Pete too come from behind the counter. “Chad! What the fuck!?”

“It’s nothing much, Nicky. I know you want me…” Chad spoke with a snakelike tongue as he stepped back rubbing his face.

“’ey!” Pete called out “You need to leave, sir!”

“Shut the fuck up, featherhead!” Chad shouted back at Pete. “I am not here for you… I’m here for this diva right here.” He looked back to Nicky in quite the crazy, off-putting manner.

“I will not stand here and let you act like this in my store. Get out!” Pete shouted as he pulled a wooden baseball bat from behind the counter and threatened Chad with it.

“What are you going to do, bush nigger? Hit me?” Chad hissed in response. “Now where was I?” He looked back to Nicky.

Sam, seeing the entire scenario happen through the glass windows as he was about to enter the store, came in and quickly approached Chad. With a blow driven by momentum, Sam drove his right fist into Chad’s cheek. Chad recoiled from the punch and stumbled several steps away from Nicky. This was quite a feat as Chad was quite the large and stocky type, being the football type. The only way that it had worked was that Sam had gotten the jump on him. Chad was well enough to return a swing at Sam. Sam, being quicker, ducked under Chad’s disoriented and frantic swing. Sam used the open spot to put another jab into Chad’s cheek before having to dodge another swing.

This went on for a few quick swings back in forth before Chad got a grip on Sam’s neck. Sam struggled violently with the enraged jock’s grip as he felt he couldn’t breathe from the hold. Something seemed majorly wrong with Chad; it was either something about his face or his eyes, but Sam could see it. Chad had always been extremely compulsive but this was overkill even for him. His pupils were nearly unnaturally constricted and his face was twitching just a bit more than her normally did when he was angry. A soft red light drew Sam’s attention to something around the base of Chad’s neck. It was the same type of metallic collar that Mr. Black had, he barely noticed it as it was, and much like Mr. Black’s, tucked and hidden under the collar of Chad’s plaid shirt. If the light on the collar would have not blinked Sam might have not noticed it; it blinked once again after a few seconds.

Chad then switched motives suddenly and shoved Sam forcefully into a rack of PlayStation 4 games. Sam tripped and fell to the floor with the rack of games as they scattered all over the floor. He looked up to see Chad coming over to continue to fight. The jock was stopped as Pete came up behind him and stuck him in the back with the wooden bat. Chad doubled over to the floor and writhed in pain. Pete quickly helped Sam up and told Nicky to call the cops.

“I told you to leave!” Pete yelled at Chad.

“You wait till my father hears about this shit!” Chad growled from the floor.

“Get the fuck out of here, dick head.” Sam added loudly as he got up..

“Or what? The cops don’t scare me!” Chad stood firmly despite his blow to his back.

Sam took the bat from Pete. “Get the fuck out of here, Chad!”

“Whatever, pussy.”

Sam readied the bat. “How about you chose: Your face or your car?”

Chad shifted. “You’re not touching that car!” Sam hit the pride mark.

“So your face??”

“She is out of your league, kid!” Chad stammered.

“I could the same to you about your car.” Sam smiled.

“You wouldn’t”

“I would…” Chad seemed to reevaluate the situation.

“Fuck this!” Chad turned and bolted out of the store.

Sam grimaced and began his way out of the store. Nicky stopped him as she grabbed his arm.

“What are you doing?!” She demanded.

“I’m going to keep to my word and finish this.” He answered furiously and took his arm from her grip.

“God damn it, Sam! Why?!”

“Because he won’t quit until something happens to him.”

Nicky sighed, knowing he was probably right. “Be careful.”

“Of course!” Sam shouted back as he darted out of the store in pursuit of Chad.

Sam quickly found that Chad had just started his Corvette and had just began to whip out of his parking spot. Chad accelerated quickly for the exit of the plaza from where he was parked. Sam, seeing he was making a break for it, quickly sprint to his Challenger. He slid into the driver seat and quickly turned the key in the ignition as he snapped his seatbelts across his chest. He shifted into first and stomped the gas pedal to the floor.

The rear wheels of the Challenger gave a loud scream of rubber fighting for traction. The car lurched forward, springing from his parking spot in the center of the lot. He rapidly turned the front wheels to the right to spin the car to power slide a full 180 from the parking spot onto the lane towards the lot exit. He accelerated for the exit in time to see Chad quickly roar off down the road turning left out of the parking lot.

Sam hardly slowed for the turn across the roadway, completely blasting past the stop sign as he send the Challenger into another screeching power slide to the right side of the road. With the heading set for the Corvette that was quickly shrinking down the road before him, he power shifted into second gear and accelerated viciously. After a few moments of weaving and shifting lanes around law abiding traffic, Sam was soon on top of the Corvette. He slowed up right behind the Corvette and stuck there like glue, giving off one hell of a menacing offensive between his weaving and the wailing sound of his car’s supercharger.

It took only a few seconds of this for Chad to realize that Sam wasn’t here to play. His Corvette spat out a sudden roar as it rocketed off from Sam’s speed. Sam was quick to accelerate with him and did his best to match the Corvette’s flank. The Corvette was stronger off than the Challenger, which was apparent as Chad began to gain some ground on Sam as the two belted down the road. They whizzed past civilian vehicles who blared their horns in protest.

Despite his gained ground, Chad seem to decide that the best way to shake Sam off was to change routes. Sam stayed close on him as he swiftly shifted directions by turning right onto a side road through a residential area. Chad seemed to be shaky on how the Corvette liked to turn, and thus gained no yardage from the Challenger. Sam weaved around a minivan turning out of a driveway about halfway down the road. As Chad took a left turn in the residential area, Sam’s police scanner buzzed off calling officers to response to a pair of street racers in the two’s location.

Sam gritted his teeth as he tightened the grip on his shifter as he shifted gears. The Corvette roared down the road frantically with the Challenger hot on its tail. As Sam could, he gave the Corvette a slight nudge in the back bumper; nothing hard enough for anyone to lose control, but enough to make his point. He didn’t care about the damage to his car. He had the money to replace the car several times over. With the bump from the Challenger, the Corvette’s movements and actions began to slip into dangerous levels of desperation.

The chase lead back onto a main road. The two cars slid violently as they danced in the two lanes around multiple cars and trucks as they sped loudly down the road. At this point Sam was gone; in a normal state he never would dream of this. The situation with Chad had unfortunately been ongoing for years and this was now the breaking point. His entire honed and perfected focus was on one precise thing: wrecking that Corvette. Through desperately taken measures, Chad kept his speed up to test Sam, and with his perfectly honed skills, Sam kept up with little difficulty.

With any given continuation of the chase, the police scanner buzzed off that there was a Highway Reaper on the chase for the two. Sam began to feel the biting teeth of his nerves as red flags began to popup in his head. He may have slightly been clouded with anger to add to his current compulsive actions, but this was too much. This was too much for even Chad.

At this time, the Corvette began to turn to the right onto another main road. Chad cut the corner too quick and ended up bouncing the front tires over the curb of the inside of the turn. This caused him to snap to fix to the car as the rear end of the car began to buckle and slide from the jarring of the curb. The Corvette was forced into an uncontrollable drift that sent Chad to the other side of the road into the oncoming lane. The car slammed sideways into a coach bus that was stopped for a red light on the other side of the road. A nonlethal collision that surely would cripple the Corvette.

Sam looked back down the road as he finished turning the corner that Chad had failed to clear properly. With Chad taken care of, Sam barreled on down the road to find the nearest back road he could slip onto. At this point he had seen no police cruisers of any sorts on the roads as he eased around traffic at a more calm speed than before. This was true until up ahead a Police interceptor speedily turned the corner and made its way on the opposite side of the road from Sam. The vehicle was a Dodge Viper, specifically: The number 42 Highway Reaper.

“Fuck…” Sam groaned out as the highway reaper began to slow down at the sight of the Challenger.

Sam’s grip tightened again on the steering wheel as he gritted his teeth. He quickly tried to decide if he would run or just give up. It could be possible to get away if he could make it too some back roads or alleys to dart around in without it being on his ass. Despite his frantic decision making, the Viper accelerated back towards Chad’s crash, speeding up as if it had completely ignored him. The confused Sam; his father totally had seen him.

Shaking this off, Sam quickly made his way out of dodge and got to a secure location where he normally would go for a cool down period from the police. The radio chattered with the calls of the chase and crash. A yellow and black Corvette and unknown gray muscle car; the Corvette had crashed and the driver was being taken to the hospital for a broken arm. The gray car had been lost. Now Sam just sat under the concealment of a darkly shadowed bridge over a small aqueduct.

Suddenly, his phone began to vibrate on the passenger seat as it began to ring; it was his father.

Sam sighed heavily and answered the phone. “Hello??” Sam said as he put the phone to his ear.

“Is everything alright?” His father asked over the phone. His voice quavered slightly, tainted with emotion a sense of confliction.

“What do you mean?” Sam tried to play it off.

“Sam… I know it was you… I saw you.”

“Yeah…”

“What is going on?” His father asked firmly.

Sam sighed. “Chad showed up at Nicky’s workplace and was touching her and stuff…” he explained poorly.

“Oh… of course.” His father sighed. “I never liked that kid…” he said with another sigh. “How long has this been going on, again?”

“Since her freshman year…”

His father once again sighed. “I did the same for your mother a few months after we got married…” he admitted.

“You’re not upset with me, are you?” Sam questioned at the surprisingly forgiving nature of the conversation.

“No I am not. Lay low, Sam. I covered for you now but I have to go. Sorry.” His father ended the call.

Sam dropped the phone back into the seat and rubbed his eyes. How he had acted was irrational and he knew it. He was now thinking that he literally might have just screwed himself with this; over a single guy touching his woman. No matter what he thought, what happened had happened and nothing he could do would fix that.

His phone began to ring again, immediately shifting his thoughts. With a sigh he quickly picked and looked to see that the screen of his Moto X read that this call was from a ‘Private Number.’ He raised his eyebrow slightly before he swiped his finger to the left of the screen to answer it.

“Hello?” Sam answered the phone softly.

“Mr. Kampten?” A female voice spoke sternly through the earpiece.

“Uhh… yeah?”

“This call is being made on behalf of Mr. Czar, whose associate contacted you a few nights ago at a circuit gathering about.”

“Oh! Mr. Black?”

“Correct…”

“Sorry… I thought he was dickin’ me around…”

The lady cleared her throat at the sudden vulgarity. “Mr. Czar has a proposition for you. He wishes that you would join a high stake event that he has put together. There is a driver slot available and he requests that you fill it.”

Sam paused for a moment. “Sweetheart, I am going to need more details than that…”

“Of course! A car will be provided for you via delivery with a simple text to this number in your call registry. We will deliver the vehicle to wherever you are located…” she explained.

“Ok… you’re holding back.” Sam chuckled. “What kind of car.”

“A 2006 Ford GT capable of 240 miles per hour. There are eight racers in total. Cash price is one million for first place; winner takes it all.”

“A… a million?!” Sam shifted in his seat as he swallowed.

“Correct… Mr. Czar hopes that you will comply with hast.” She gave a little tiny giggle at the end for whatever reason.

“Well fuck…” Sam gulped again. “Hold on a second.”

“Of course!”

Sam looked around to calm his growing paranoia from the call.

“Ok… I’ll do it…” Sam sighed out slowly.

“Mr. Czar will be very pleased at your compliance. Have a nice day, Mr. Kampten.” The line went dead

Sam gave a long exhale as he lowered his phone to his lap. He rolled his tongue slowly is his mouth looking down between his legs at his pedals. After a moment of thought, he raised his phone in his hands again to dial Ali Howard’s number.

“Ey’ Yo?” he answered.

“Ali! Hey man. What’s sliding?”

“Eh… Not much, dude. Just chillin’ with some down time playing Marathon in The Block. Why?” He asked.

“I need a place to crash for a few days…”

“Everything alright, Sammy?”

“Well… I don’t really want to talk about it… I’m not sure about it yet.” Sam sighed.

“Huh… this is so intrestin’” Ali chuckled full of skepticism.

“Ok… All you need to know is that something big is happening.”

“Fine, fine. Get your ass over here, bro.”

“Thanks Ali.”

“Yup.”

Sam hung up the phone and turned on his car before he slowly crept from the shadow of the bridge. He rolled out of the aqueduct and casually headed for Ali’s safe house.
Sign up to rate and review this story