Categories > Games > Halo > Fate Twister Original

Chapter 13

by sgtlegendkiller 0 reviews

*Origin Post Date: 9/20/2011*

Category: Halo - Rating: G - Genres: Sci-fi - Published: 2015-04-27 - 3624 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter 13~ Interspecies Coordination

Time: 2200hrs Location: Downed Seraph

Collins sat close to Chasey, his gun resting on his bent knee. He was comfortable, but if needed his M45 would be ready within a split second. Chasey lay quiet, finally asleep after several hours of painful groaning.

He had taken her into the Seraph; it was the best shelter he could find with a little bit of time. There had been little noise for the past few hours. The only ones being Chasey's shallow, pained breathing and the occasional sounds of distant fighting.

Collins had hardly moved in hours. He had sat still, quietly thinking. He couldn't figure something out, for instance: the downed Seraph... the dead elite... why had the elite died? Had the Seraph been a victim of friendly fire?

Mean While:

Soon after passing through the light, D'rok had started to regain his feelings. Immediately he was washed from head to hoof with pain. In realization of being severely sore, a groan escaped out is mouth opening. He groaned softly once again as his vision started to come to him as well. He was still on the floor...looking down at a pool of blood, his own purple blood pasted upon the floor. With a slow motion, D'rok attempted to stand, or to even kneel. This resulted in a loud heaving fit, and D'rok's lungs tried to rid themselves of his dried blood. The sound had alerted, if not startled Collins.

The sound of the coughing caused Collins to practically jump from where he sat.
"Son of a-" He had begun to say within his confusion. He stopped cold as another group of loud, heavy heaves emitted from the one area in the Seraph that worried Collins the most.

Collins became very silent in the dim light of the Seraph. Collins moved, M45 raised, finger touching the trigger. From the cockpit of the Seraph, a faint shadow of an Elite cast itself into the opening of the hallway. Seeing this, finding that his worry was true: that Elite wasn't dead, Collins pressed himself, using the corner of the door as cover, against the wall. He looked down at his M45, seeing that the Magazine was almost full; he pumped a shell into the chamber.

D'rok placed his hand on his chest, he was still heaving. His coughs were working slowly; he was unfortunately still oblivious to the human that awaited attack. Kneeling back down, D'rok gave a painful heave, he lowered his head as he spat out some somewhat still wet blood.

Taking a slow, quiet breath in preparation, Collins tightened his grip on his M45. Collins gave himself a thought 1-2-3, once at three; he moved around the corner of the door and pulled the trigger. His M45 discharged, blasting several lead pellets at D'rok. Lucky enough for D'rok, the shot missed just off to D'rok's left. D'rok stumbled back in surprise.

"Human! Stop!" D'rok yelled at his highest his dry voice could reach as he saw Collins.

Collins, not letting the Elite surprise him, fired another shot into the cabin. This time the blast hit D'rok in the legs, D'rok's shields flickered in vain in their last moments of operation. D'rok responded with a growl and a little less than graceful move into cover behind a computer terminal.

"Human, please cease your attack!" D'rok yelled in attempts to stop Collins, as well as trying to stay alive.

Collins pumped his M45 as he slowly approached the terminal D'rok moved behind. Collins was not about to be caught compromising with an alien, it had nowhere to run.

"I...I can help you" D'rok paused, frantically trying to catch his tired breath. "I can help you get off this world alive." D'rok begged, this caused Collins to pause. D'rok, however did not feel comfortable, he actually found himself fearing the human.
"I...UNSC Hercules! The war started October 7, 2525!" D'rok, in vain, attempted to list everything he could remember that only a human would know, hoping to better his survival odds.

D'rok was interrupted, more than less stopped in fear, as Collins fired his M45 into the wall just above D'rok's head.

"Shut the hell up, Slip-lip!" Collins growled loudly in hatred of D'rok's entire existence at that point.

"You all arrived on a Phoenix class colonization ship, The Spirit of fire! CFV-88!" D'rok screamed. D'rok was deathly afraid, so much so that he had put his hands up to protect his shaking body.

Collins, angry but at the same time confused, lowered his M45. He found himself unsure what to do as he stood, watching the whimpering Elite. D'rok had begun to whimper, his mental health was rather destroyed by both the dehydration and his lingering, yet quickly growing feeling of abandonment.

Collins was now in a stupor, he had never seen an Elite do anything but kill. Whereas this one in front of him... seemed to show mental instability. Collins, even against his understanding nature, only thought of the Elites as killing machines, nothing else. He had never really thought of them to have emotions. Collins, almost to the point of being intrigued, had to physically shake himself from his vulnerable state.

"Human... please stop. I mean you no harm" D'rok prayed with Collins' kindness, Collins wanted nothing to do with it. Forming clenched teeth hidden by his visor, Collins used the stock of his M45 as a club and hit D'rok in the face. D'rok stopped making sound all together, in fear of angering Collins. With a quick inspection of the surrounding area, Collins found some wire. He, wanting to secure the Elite, restrained D'rok as tight as he could.

Collins stood leaning against the doorway, watching the Elite as it lay on the stained floor. He had been watching, picking at his fingernails for several hours. Collins, getting tired and being not easy to bore, but the several hours of silence is enough to make a normal man crazed.

D'rok, in contrast to his watcher, watched the human right back. D'rok had lied there staring into Collin's black visor the entire time, all except for an hour he had drifted into sleep.

"Please Human...listen, I mean you no harm." D'rok broke the silence, trying to keep his captor from boredom and thinking of bad ideas.

"How do I know I can trust you?" Collins asked in reply after several moments of thinking.

Quickly groaning in thought, D'rok replied with,
"Why do you think the Seraph was shot down by plasma?"

"Accidental friendly fire," Collins said, with a hint of disbelief.

"It would not be considered friendly fire if it was that much plasma, correct?" D'rok asked, smartly.

"Why were you shot down then?" Collins asked quizzically.

"Because i do not agree with the Covenant." D'rok softly chuckled "I had decided I had enough so I turned against the Great Journey. I am now, as we Sangheili would call a Heretic

"Why?" Collins found himself strangely wanting to hear more.

"Because I don't despise humans, unlike my... brothers" D'rok hated that word, 'brothers', he felt it meant that when he spoke it, he was accepting the fact that he were like them. With a tear in his eye, D'rok broke his gaze with Collins and rest his unhelmeted forehead against the cold floor.

Collins watched D'rok closely, he once again felt that confused feeling he had felt the first time he interacted with this Elite. Although he would hate to admit it, Collins felt, deep down, a hint of sympathy for D'rok. Collins knew he didn't understand, and that scared him. Without a sound, Collins left D'rok and sat down next to Chasey. It wasn't surprising to him that she lay perfectly still in her spot. He quickly forgot his concerning thoughts about Chasey, almost as if against his will, he plunged into the depths of his mind looking for the simple, compelling answer: why?

Collins had quickly, although by most standards not as much, fallen asleep and even as he was free from reality, his mind remained plagued by that simple question. About the Elite. It was not long that Collins stayed in peaceful slumber, violently, almost jumping up to his feet he had woken up. He stayed still, sitting up in a deep pant and a cold sweat. Collins removed his helmet in order to breathe better. Glancing around, confused once again.

Collins, intrigued once again, stood with a stretch, soon after he walked back into the room that D'rok still lay in. Collins gave D'rok a light kick.

"Hey...get up" Collins spoke in an ordering manner softly, unknowingly showing D'rok a light form of kindness

D'rok looked up slowly
"Hello, Human," he greeted his captor softly, weak than he had been before. D'rok thought quickly.

"Are you alone human?"

"No I'm not." Collins replied slightly nervous of revealing too much to the Elite.

"Who else accompanies you then, Human?"

"One other but that's all I'm saying." Collins said sternly.

"Why? I do not mean to intrude into your comfort zone...however it would be nice to get introductions wrapped up. There is not much of time."

"Fine- one woman Private. Chasey. She's badly injured." Collins informed the Elite.

"How so?" D'rok asked with a grunt as he struggled to sit up.

"Fractured ribs I think"

"oh that is not good...not easy to deal with...i can help her! I am medically trained"

Collins, realizing that this was amazing news, wanted to keep the Elite in check. Collins lifted, with a little help from the Elite, too his feet.

"If you kill her you will die an even worse death." Collins warned D'rok aggressively.

"I would do no such thing... I only require simple materials and assistance."

"Fine," Collins snapped at D'rok as he gave him a slight push into the room.

"Is this the female?" D'rok asked as he saw Chasey lying on the floor.

"Yes that's her," Collins untied D'rok and brought his shotgun up. "Don't try anything."

"I understand... I will need my hands, human"

Grudgingly, hesitating slightly, Collins untied D'rok's hands. After a quick session of rubbing his wrist, D'rok knelt down alongside Chasey. With gentle hands, D'rok fiddled with her armor, trying to figure it out.

"Human, can you assist me removing her chest plate? ...for medical reasons of course" D'rok requested sheepishly.

"Yes" Collins crouched and removed the armor easily.

"Forgive me for asking...might you remove her jacket?" D'rok blushed slightly, another sheepishly asked question.

Collins quickly removed while not saying a word.

"I apologize..." D'rok tried to tread lightly on this problem, blushing greatly in attempts to not look at the female too much in the wrong way. She needed a brace, something to keep her ribcage from expanding while breathing. With quick thinking, D'rok took his own chest plate.

"May I borrow your knife, Human?" D'rok asked as he set his chest armor on the floor next to him.

"Yes..." Collins cautiously handed D'rok the knife.

Using the knife D'rok cut the sleeves of his body suit. Carefully, wrapped them both around the Female's delicate body. Once around her, D'rok tightened the sleeves and tied them.

D'rok sits back with a sigh, dropping the knife next to him. He was pleased; he had never fixed somebody with that type of injury before.

Collins, seeing that D'rok was finished, replaced Chasey's jacket and chest plate.

"Is she stable?" Collins asked afterwards to make sure.

"This may be uncomfortable for her, but you do not want her ribs to expand." D'rok explained "If it does it will rip and cut all tissue around the breaks... the less expanding the ribcage does, the less pain she will be in... to answer your question human, yes"

"Well I know about the expanding ribs shit, I've had basic med training, but ok." Collins said.

"If you would like me to human, i will return to the cabin to be farther away from you and your female companion." D'rok suggested.

"Do it," Collins said sternly.

"I will explain more if you would like... I will have too eventually, Human"

"Fine, go ahead; fill my head with useless knowledge." Collins said sarcastically.

D'rok sighs at Collins remark. After a moment to prepare his tired mandibles.

"This place" He started "that you are on. Is a shield world...it is going to explode in a few days. we will need to get the three for us off this world as soon as possible...it is difficult to explain, would you try to understand as best as you can?" D'rok explained

"umm... alright" Collins replied, somewhat confused by the whole thing.

"Do you have any questions?"

"How do we get out?" Collins asked, giving D'rok a chance to explain further.

"First, we wait for your friend to awake. Then we discuss best way out of here"

"I'm putting a lot of faith in you- don't screw us over" Collins warned D'rok with an aggressive reminder.

"I understand..." With that, D'rok left for his cabin away from the two.

It was not long before Chasey started to awaken. Silently, she opened her eyes

"Collins? How long was i... how long was i out?" She paused with a cringe midsentence. Collins looked over at her.

"Only a few hours" he replied.

"Did you figure a way to get back to the Spirit of Fire?" Chasey asked softly as she struggled to sit up.

"Maybe, I don't know if we can trust him"

"trust who?" Chasey asked, curious to who would Collins would have to talk to besides herself

"There's an Elite helping us..." Collins told her softly, he was nervous of what her response would be.

"What!" Chasey yelled, this caused her voice to hurt and a cough escaped her throat.

"He says he's not with them, he gave some evidence"

"Are you insane?"

"No... I don't think so"

"u better…" She scoffed "I don't even know what to say to you"

"I'm just trying to get us a way out of here!"

"I can't believe you sometimes, Jeff..." Chasey sighed and looked away. As she did, D'rok, hearing the noise of voices, came out to see if Chasey was alright.

"Human, is she alright?" D'rok asked Collins with concern.

"Yes... but she doesn't like the idea of you helping us..." Collins stated as Chasey scooted a few feet from both of them.

D'rok walked over to the door, looking out with squinted eyes.
"Female, i only ask if you will be alright. Are my bandages too tight?" Chasey did not answer him, due to her fear.

"Will she be alright?" D'rok asked Collins as he turned his head.

"Yes, she will be" Collins answered him, a tint of annoyance towards D'rok riddled with in his voice.

"There is no reason to be defensive human, my concern is for her wellbeing"

"Oh well, she doesn't want you nearby" D'rok turned his head at Collins' comment.

"Why must you humans be difficult" D'rok mumbled, feeling both aggravated at the two, but somewhat understanding.

"Because you bastards attacked us!" Collins yelled, clearly hearing D'rok's mutter.

"My kind, yes. I did not" D'rok sighed sympathetically "I never wished this war and hatred upon your...your species, Human"

"Oh well"

"Would the Female be able to travel as of now?" D'rok asked, changing the subject quickly.

"Chasey can you walk?" Collins asked. Chasey, using the wall, stands and stumbles

"Yes, if I support her"

"We must move, we have little time... do you have any bearings of this world?" D'rok asked, looking at Collins' black visor.

"No not at all" He answered, taking Chasey's arm over his shoulder

"do you even have an Aerial?"

"yes but its torn"

"You mean that it is not digital?"

"Low tech at last minute"

D'rok chuckled "Why does this irony seem fitting?"

"Shut it"

"as i stated before, there is no reason to have agr-"

"Both of you shut the Hell up!" Chasey yelled, interrupting the both of them.

"What? What-" Collins tried to get another word in. His attempt was met with a punch in the side of the head

"I want to get out of here alive! Collins, shut your mouth and let the nice alien lead us out of here" Chasey, continuing to yell, ending her demand with a pant. Her amount of aggression had even managed to bother D'rok.

"Fine" Collins simply agreed with her as he rubbed his head.

D'rok took a step out into the sunlight. His eyes squinted almost to the point of closing; he had not seen sunlight in several days, if not a week. Using his hand, he shielded his face and looked back into the Seraph. "Humans, stay close" Simply said, he began to lead them away from the Seraph.

After a while, D'rok stopped and rested himself against a tree. He was tired; his body had become dehydrated and weak from food deprivation.
"Human, let us rest here... for a moment." D'rok suggested.

Collins was about to tell D'rok to shove off, but he stopped, seeing Chasey shake her head no at him.

Collins set Chasey against a tree, once she was comfortable, he stood and stretched.

"Don't get too comfortable" Collins told D'rok and sat down next to Chasey.

D'rok, kneel down, resting his head against the tree. Somehow he enjoyed the coolness of the bark, and with that, his mind slowed down from its nervous, life clinging state. Collins pulled his pack from behind him and set it between his legs. Rummaging through its contents; a few extra magazines, two multi colored smoke signals, a pair of fragmentation grenades, four MREs, and his Canteen. Seeing that Chasey had not eaten in two or so days, same went for him; he pulled out the MREs and the Canteen.

"Hungry, Chasey?" He softly asked her.

"Yes" she replied, quickly grabbing one. Collins, himself took one, and set the other two next to him. The both of them unwrapped their packages. The two ate quickly, Collins finished first, pulled Chasey's canteen for her. Once finished, she sipped her water slowly and looked over at D'rok. D'rok, being quickly increasingly tired, even more than when he had knelt by the tree, was on the verge of passing out. His hand had slipped several times within a few minutes. She looked back over to see Collins begin to take a big mouth full from his Canteen.

Chasey slapped his arm, causing Collins to stop and spill several drops from his canteen.

"What the hell was that for?" Collins demanded an answer loudly.

"Don't drink that, give hit to him" She told him, pointing at D'rok.

"No, I'm not gonna drink yours"

"Don't not argue with me, Jeff! Look at him! Give him your canteen and the rest of the food."

"But, we need to save-" Chasey cut him off, pushing him.

"Jeffery H. Collins! He is going to pass out. Give him the food, quit being such an asshole!"

Collins grumbled, picking up the food and stood.

"You're just like my mother" he muttered as he walked over to D'rok. Collins stopped a few feet behind D'rok.

"Hey..." Collins attempted to get D'rok's attention, tapping his arm.

"Yes human?" D'rok asked tired

"Take these" Collins shook the food next to D'rok till he takes it. D'rok, not wasting anytime, took all the energy he had to gobble down both the MREs. He probably couldn't have eaten it any faster, and if he could, he would have eaten the plastic.

Collins sat next to Chasey, watching D'rok sip from his Canteen. This angered him slightly.

"Quit being a baby, Collins, you can drink off mine. And if you complain, think of it as our first kiss" Chasey chuckled slightly

"whatever Chase..." Collins took her Canteen and took a sip from it.

It was not long before D'rok was rested and ready to go.

"Let us continue, Humans" He said as he stood. After packing their stuff up quickly, Collins and Chasey stood. Aiding Chasey, Collins followed D'rok as they continued through the brush.

It was not long till the trio had stopped on the edge of an opening in the brush, a kind of trail. D'rok lowered himself to a knee, as if to see something.

"What's wrong?" Collins asked as he set Chasey down under a tree.

"Come with me, ready your weapon" D'rok told Collins as he began to move silently up the trail.

Collins shrugged, pulled his M90 from his back, and followed closely behind D'rok.

"Do you see that?" D'rok stopped on his knee, and pointed at a grey metallic object in the trail.

"...hell yeah, that's a Warthog! Let's put it too use!" Collins said excitedly as he moved forward. He was stopped by D'rok's arms.

"Do not rush, it could be a trap set up by the Covenant." D'rok warned him. Moving slower than before, D'rok moved up closer and eventually right next to the warthog. He looked around quickly then stood.

"Go get the Female, i will ride on the turret"

Collins went back and aided Chasey to the Warthog, she climbed into the passenger seat, D'rok was already hanging onto the turret. Collins quickly slipped into the driver's seat.

"Ok here we go...that is north...um battery is ok, keys are check" Collins spoke, listing everything "here goes nothing.

With a turn of the key, the Warthog engine turned over, purring its soft whirr of its hydrogen cell.

"This is good... next heading, Northeast!" Collins exclaimed brightly as he pressed the pedal down. With a quick fight for grip of the ground, the trio began to travel, more quickly than before, to where ever fate was leading them.
Sign up to rate and review this story