Categories > Games > Halo > Fate Twister Original

Chapter 17

by sgtlegendkiller 0 reviews

*Origin Post Date: 12/23/2011*

Category: Halo - Rating: G - Genres: Sci-fi - Published: 2015-04-27 - 2445 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter 17 the Spirit of Fire

"Let me get this straight;" Sorren started "You're planning on just walking him in there?"

"Yes. Sorren, this needed elsewhere. This is not the place for him" D'rok explained softly.

"What about the ODSTs?"

"It is their choice… but I believe that t is best for them to get home. You know this; they are inseparable. If they would even consider being in separate Cryo tubes" D'rok stated with a chuckle.

"Yes… I know. Yes sir."

"Are you finished now?" D'rok asked as he slowly drew his hand from the medical table, tightening his hand into a ball around the bandaging. Even after nearly two weeks the gash that crossed the palm of his hand still bled.

"Yes, just stop picking at it sir" Sorren exclaimed with a jest.

"Yes, very funny. A cut by paper between fingers is more painful that a cut on a limb. It lasts longer and does not heal well."

"You would be correct. Good point, sir."

D'rok stood, his left arm stayed close to his chest. He turned his back to look at Sorran's avatar. With a chuckle he began to leave.

From there D'rok went to the Hangar Bay, this is where Forge spent most of his time. This was proven true as D'rok saw him upon entering the room; Forge stood near an opened gun cabinet. Walking over slowly, D'rok approached Forge from behind.

"Is there anything I can get for you, Forge?" D'rok asked softly.

"No, I'm just looking over a few things… thinking mostly" Forge answered.

"About what, may I ask?"

"Well, nothing much… cleaning my gun and what's going to happen next."

D'rok smiled, for a reason unknown to even him. D'rok turned to the dust cover that lay draped over his car he had not forgotten. Gripping the blanket softly, he pulled it from the twisted heap that still remained recognizable as his GT500.

This was the first time he had seen it upon returning to the Audience of One. It was not that he did not care; it was the simply the fear of remembering even more than he had. Even after its years of silence the bent metal remained unfixed, but yet somehow easy on D'rok's tired eyes.

D'rok smiled, setting the cover on the floor next to him. He slowly ran his hand over the uneven hood softly in a caring manner.

"She is like me…" D'rok spoke after a moment of silence. "Her shell is crude and pained, yet her stance and spirit remain unchanged"

D'rok stood there for several moments watching over the memories of his past. Forge stood idly by, watching D'rok in an intrigued manner. Once D'rok had regained himself, he began to lead Forge up to the bridge of the Audience.

"Sorren, begin transmission." D'rok ordered as he entered the bridge, Forge followed behind.

"Yes sir" Sorren begins a secure AI to AI Com link in an instant.

"Play it through the speakers please, Sorren" D'rok ordered in a firm, yet always present polite tone.

"Already in progress...link established." Sorren announced.

"Spirit of fire to unknown vessel state name and registration" Serina, the onboard AI of the Spirit of Fire responded demandingly.

"This is ONI Vessel A0413C25, the Audience of One. I am the on board AI, Sorren; I am ordering you to stand down and allow boarding access." Sorren ordered with authority.

"Please state reason for request, it's a little lonely out here and strangers are not so welcome."

"I am authorized by HIGHCOM to order and command any UNSC vessel encountered; I request again: Stand down and allow boarding access."

"Very well Initiating engine cool down." Serina followed her abrupt orders; The Spirit of Fire's engines began to cool down.

"Do not raise alarms, tell your shifts to take no action upon boarding members"

"Already done Audience of one" Serina assured Sorren. From the Bridge D'rok and Forge watched as the Audience of One slowly began to drift closer to the obviously larger ship. With several hisses of escaping air, the external boarding clamps took hold.

"The cable is received, boarding underway" Sorren informed Serina.
"Let us not keep them waiting then" D'rok suggested with a sigh as he turned and began to head for the boarding ramp.

The pair walked cautiously from the boarding ramp, D'rok leading. Upon entering the Spirit of Fire's hangar bay a pair of curious maintenance workers spot D'rok and reach for their side arms, dropping their wrenches and tools in the process.

"Put those down!" Forge loudly ordered, yet they still leveled their service pistols

"Sir!" One of the frightened workers asked in disbelief.

"He's with me!" Forge stopped walking and stood tall, defending D'rok's situation.

"But-" the crew member was unable to finish.

"Do not question! He rescued me from the core, he's on our side, see that ship over there?"

"Y-yes" the crew member answers nervously.

"Where do I take you, Forge?" D'rok asked, changing the subject.

"Cryo Bay 2" Forge looked up at an overhanging railing, hinting at the route.

"Lead as you wish..." D'rok suggested to Forge, he did.

The two left the shaken crew behind and headed to the Cryo chambers. Inside all of the Cryo tubes where filled with sleeping crew; all except for one tube: that one belonged to Sgt. J. Forge. D'rok slows to a halt as Forge steps up close to his tube. Forge's eyes looked over the tube slowly; his tired eyes soaking in reality as if it was not real.

"Welcome back, Sergeant" Serina greeted as her avatar flickered into view on a nearby column. At the same time she opened his tube; it's front sliding upwards.

Forge remained staring into his tube. D'rok stood silent, as if to say something; his mandibles remained tightly closed.

"Stay safe, Forge... "D'rok simply said

"you too"...

"Good bye, friend." D'rok said, extending his arm to shake hands.

"Good bye, thanks for getting me out of there" Forge says his final good bye with a shake of the hand.

D'rok steps back, watching as Forge lowers him into the Cryo tube. The Front plate slides down, hissing with a click, clamping shut. Only seconds later Forge is unconscious; a thin icy layer coats his pale tinted skin.

"I am sorry that I cannot further assist you. I apologize for the confusion" D'rok stated with a sigh, turning his head to Serina.

"It is... alright, this situation is quite interesting" she explained.

"I am sure you have many questions..."

"There are a few, Your AI has informed me on what he is aloud."

"You should reveal nothing to those you meet"

"What?"

"I'm telling you this meeting is confidential" D'rok turned away slowly saying this; defending and trying to remain somewhat professional.

"Understood"

D'rok turns to leave. He is only to be yet again facing the pains of good byes. He looks back at Forge's tube quietly. With a sigh, D'rok turned his head back and began to walk back to the boarding ramp.

D'rok soon stood on the boarding ramp; he turned slowly, looking at the still confused crew members. Maybe they would someday. D'rok hoped at least this. As the door closed and sealed, he continued his way the short distance up to the bridge.

Watching the ship release and thrust itself from the Spirit of Fire, D'rok watched in a daze; what was he to do now?

"Sorren... chart a course to the nearest human colony, I will depart there..." D'rok spoke softly, closing his eyes.

End of Fate Twister
Epilogue

(K'an Retmaree SpecOp Commander & G'rek Malatee SpecOp Minor)

K'an kneel still, perfectly still as he looked through the zoomed scope on his Type-50 Particle Beam Rifle over the luscious valley. His accomplice, SpecOp Minor G'rek Malatee, had been good at keeping quiet for a decent amount of time. G'rek's urging questions compelled him to speak.

"What is it like?" G'rek paused "to kill a Human?" G'rek asked, inquiring in an eager manner. G'rek was new to the Covenant ranks, only being on duty for a little less than a week. He was a skilled and worthy warrior, but he was very inexperienced.

K'an turned his head back slowly, looking at the young soldier.
"It is nothing to be proud of…" K'an explained with a sigh, he received a confused look from his accomplice. "Defeating you opponents is glorious, but in a conflict such as this war. Both sides forget this simple fact: the opponent… Human and Sangheili alike fight for preservation. The fight is unnecessary… just remember, you have a family; your friend and kin. You are a part of their lives; your existence keeps them alive. This is the same for Humans, they have families, friends."

K'an paused, letting G'rek think on this. K'an continued; "the Humans are different, very different, but we share many things; we enjoy war, and at the same time greave it. I wish that you, please; do not kill for unnecessary ideals. If you have been watching, which you have been…" K'an paused, seeing an opportune teaching. "Take this for example:" K'an turned back to his gun, to look down his scope. G'rek followed suit by looking through his observing lens.

Through his scope K'an could three humans; two were young, probably recruits with the rank of private, the other, more aged; he held the rank of lieutenant.

"Are you going to kill them, commander?" G'rek asked, still filled with anticipation.

"No… I am teaching you something." K'an paused "do you see the elder one of the three?"

"I do, he is an officer; recommended to kill him first to weaken the other"- G'rek answered but was cut off.

"No! You are thinking like a killer. Look closer at him." K'an ordered. G'rek did but was confused at this activity that he was assigned. He watched, dazed at the human lieutenant as he sit cleaning his MA37.

"What am I looking for, Commander?"

"I will show you" K'an switched to remote control of where G'rek's lens was looking, to share the view.
"Do you see his face?"

"Yes…"

"What do you notice about his face? Look closely" K'an instructed. G'rek tried to answer, but was still confused and gave no response.
"His face is wrinkled; there is darkness under his eyes; He is tired. Notice how his eyes do not look up and how his posture is; he is depressed." K'an began to list things that he observed.
"Do you see the gold ring on his fourth finger?"

"Y-yes… I do commander" G'rek answered nervously.

"That is most likely the cause of him to be depressed; he is married." K'an spoke calmly, trying to avoid pressuring or frightening G'rek.

"Yes, but I thought humans did not have such ceremonies…I was taught that they-"

"That is what they want you to know." K'an cut him off once again "They did not take the time to make you understand… to form your own opinion…" K'an explained coldly, referencing to the teachings to the Covenant warriors. What he speaks now would be considered near heresy.

"Sir… but-"

"Notice the multiple jewels on the ring; he has several young." K'an continued dangerously.
"If I killed him... that is already several who would mourn." G'rek looked from his lens at K'an with gritted mandibles. "Do you see what I am meaning? Humans are not a parasite… they are more alike to Sangheili than the hierarchs wish to tell. Please understand; the Humans have just as right to live in our galaxy as we Sangheili."

"But the Hierarchs…"

"Do not believe all that the 'overlords' speak. They mislead us more greatly than you can comprehend."

"What you say is heresy!" G'rek stood over K'an. K'an glanced back up.

"Is it? The Prophets are like any form of government or autocrat; abusive and misleading. Notice they speak more of death, destruction, and heresy than they do of survival, toleration, and enlightenment?"

"What do you say these lies!"

"You do not see the truth now… but you will"

"Not before you meet your end" G'rek widens his stance, hand over his plasma rifle.

K'an just stared. "I ask that you think carefully about your next decision. I will not make it for you, young one."

G'rek remained tense for several moments; what broke his tenseness was his com becoming rushed.

"Commander, the com" G'rek said lowly with gritted teeth as he put his finger to his ear, to better the signal.

"All Covenant teams on sight, there are reports of Human craft in the air, be still." Mission Over-watch informed over the com.

"Where is that Commander?" G'rek asked, kneeling close behind K'an

"I am looking… there!" K'an stated loudly as he turns his aim to the west sky. G'rek moved, almost sliding over to his observing lens.

From the clouds, a single Human space craft burst from the mist many miles away from their position. It was a Human Longsword, the craft blazed through the sky, heading in their directions. As the Longword got closer it banked across the sky, racing in the direction of the Human base.

"What is it doing sir?" G'rek asked, confused by the craft's irrational movement.

"I do not know" K'an answered simply. Soon their feed began to pick up the Human base's transmission to the craft.

"Delta D7V9654, please state authorization and destination" The Human Controller demanded the craft.

"Sir, scans read there is Covenant onboard!" A human shouted in the background of the transmission.

"Covenant! Antiaircraft batteries bring the bastard down!"

In almost an instant; several hundreds of pounds are railed into the sky, volley after volley of anti-aircraft shells. although all the shelling was thrown into the air, only a select few made contact with the Longsword as it tried it's best to outmaneuver the AA trajectories. The Longsword erupted into a ball of smoke and fire as its left wing was torn off. The Craft span wildly as it lost altitude, slamming into a hillside and sliding uphill no more than a mile from where K'an was.

"What?" K'an asked involuntarily, confused at what transpired.
"G'rek!" K'an stood "if there were Covenant on board we are going to pull them out. Follow please."

"I will not!" G'rek stated defiantly, in attempts to uphold his honor.

"Remember what I explained to you, youth. I am your teacher and you the student..." K'an pointed out aggressively. "Are you going to shut your mandibles and follow me? Or are you going to defy me? The choice is yours, I will not choose for you." With that, K'an turned and walked away.

~Fin
Sign up to rate and review this story