Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > The Eye of Hallow

Chapter 1: The Sand and The Snow

by WasARainbow 0 reviews

How can darkness be so unpredictable? How could they have come to such a maddening place on purpose? Hallow would not let them live. They all knew this, but two enemies that were once friends can't...

Category: Naruto - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Fantasy,Romance - Characters: Gaara,Naruto,Orochimaru,Sakura,Sasuke - Warnings: [!] [V] [X] [?] - Published: 2015-05-27 - Updated: 2015-05-29 - 1820 words

-1TrainWreck
Disclaimer: I do not own Naruto or the characters of Naruto. This is a non-profit fan made story.

Rated M: For language, minor violence and Male X Male.

Note: There may be spelling and grammar mistakes. I am currently looking for an editor.

Pairing: Sasuke X Naruto

The eye of Hallow

Chapter 1: The Sand and the Snow


"It's cold," whispered a tall, lean, teenager standing knee high in snow. His breath showed in the moonlit night as his chest heaved up and down. Despite his heavy clothing, the unforgiving wind stung and ripped right through him. His eyes began to burn as the falling flakes lashed at his uncovered face. The teen's patients was drawing thin. Before him was a meadow of freezing winter wonderland and there was not a village or house for miles. Every now and then some of the snow that landed on his dark hair lingered and glistened in the soft light of his lantern. Even though every part of his freezing body was begging him to hug his cloak around himself a little tighter and run off somewhere warm and safe, he never flinched, nor moved. He was waiting.

Suddenly there was a large puff of smoke and a figure emerged from the ashes. "Sorry to have kept you." Said a ninja who bowed before him. The ninja's face and body was completely covered, only revealing sparkling green eyes and jagged brown hair.

The teen had been working with this man for two days now, yet he could not recall the man's name. He had been told it several times but not once did the teen care to remember it. In the young man's mind this ninja would most likely not live past the next afternoon and he saw no point in knowing the name of the dead. "Let's move inside" said the teen sharply. "We'll discuss what you've learned when the sun rises"

The ninja bowed again. "Understood Sasuke" Then they both disappeared underground. The falling snowflakes buried the footprints the two figures had left behind and concealed the door to their dwelling.

"Hey, kick it over here!" Yelled a small tan boy waving his arms towards the bright burning sun.

"Okay" Yelled another, taller boy with a shemagh wrapped protectively around his head and neck. He carefully positioned the brown ball they had been playing with in the sand. "Alright, here it comes!" The kid then kicked the ball as hard as he could towards his friend. Whack! He missed his target.

"Oww!" Yelped an angry person standing quite a ways away from them.

"Uh oh!" The two boys muttered and ran away, as they saw, that the target they had hit was a ninja from another village.

The ninja rubbed the back of his head. "Little brats I outa-"

"Naruto!"

The ninja turned. "Huh? Sakura?" He saw a pink haired girl with a stern look running towards him.

"Naruto you idiot!" The girl gave the boy a bonk on the head. "Don't be taken off guard so easily and by a toy ball, of all things! Do you want the Sand Villagers to think that all of the Leaf are as dumb as you?"

The boy, Naruto scratched the back of his blond head. "Sorry Sakura." He apologised half heartedly while grinning sheepishly.

Sakura sighed, "Come on. The Kazekage wants a word with you."

The boy's grin faded and a solemn look began to spread over his face. "Alright," said Naruto. The Leaf Ninja glanced back at the spot where the two boys had been playing. For a moment, a memory unwillingly crept into his mind. A memory... a memory of time when he was younger, playing with his best friend... Sa-

"Lets go," Shouted Sakura.

Naruto's mind quickly returned to reality. He nodded to the girl to show he knew the importance of their haste. In a flash they disappeared from the sandy road and headed towards the leader of the Sand Village.

"Gaara," Naruto called as he walked into a large round room piled high with scrolls and paper work. Sakura stepped in close behind him. "You've got some news for us?" The Leaf Ninja both seemed a bit timid as they glanced around. Naruto always wore bright orange, witch stood out quite vividly against the white and brown walls of the compound. The only thing that stood out more than Naruto's orange jumpsuit, in this room, was the bright red hair of the Kazekage who sat before them.

Gaara, dressed in white robes, rose from his chair behind a thick desk and rolled out a scroll he had been gazing at. "Yes." He said sternly. "This here, is the location of one of our spy's, who ended up encountering a ninja matching the identity of Sasuke." He said this while pointing to a specific place on the mapped scroll. "At first... we thought it was a mistake, but the spy gave an almost perfect description of Sasuke's appearance, so we looked into the matter further and now..." Gaara glanced at Naruto. "We are almost 100 percent positive it was Sasuke Uchiha our spy spotted." Naruto didn't move. For a few seconds his sparkling blue eyes stared into the Kazekage's solid green ones. Then the young, red haired, adult continued. "If you take a look at this map you'll see that their location is an extremely barbaric one."

Sakura walked over to the Sand leader's desk and glanced over the map. "It looks like they're trying to lose us by hiding in various dangerous places." She said wisely.

"I thought that too but…" Gaara walked over to a dusty shelf. "That was, until I looked up more about the area." Garra then pulled out a second scroll. However this scroll was much older and more faded than the first. The wrinkled parchment seemed as though it was about to crumble in the Kazekage's white hands. So Gaara unrolled it very slowly and carefully.

"What is it" asked Naruto impatiently.

"It is most likely the reason why Sasuke's and Orochimaru's men are currently located in one of the coldest places on earth." Said Gaara. The scroll was now laid out flat to reveal a poorly drawn map.

Naruto leaned over to look, but had a hard time deciphering the squiggly lines and blotches of faded ink. However, one spot in the upper right hand corner of the parchment caught his eye. "What's this symbol here?" asked Naruto.

"That is the eye of Hallow." Said a sudden voice from behind. Naruto turned to see Gaara's secretary, who unexpectedly walked into the room with a pile of scrolls in his hands. This Sand Ninja had a white cloth draped over his right face and a scar under his left eye.

"Hallow?" Questioned Sakura. "I've never heard of it."

"It's an old tale." The secretary said as he sat down the scrolls for the Kazekage to look over.

"Thank you Atsushi." Said Gaara and he began to go through the new parchment in a rather hasty manor.

Atsushi then addressed Sakura and said "It's really more of a myth, if you ask me. The story has been past down by the Haden Tribe. They're very old and very superstitious. Hallow, was apparently a demon who could kill any that dared look at him."

"A demon?" Naruto questioned sounding both interested and uneasy.

"Yes." The secretary continued. "According to our resources the story is that, Hallow lived in a land of paradise. Many people tried to take this paradise for themselves and Hallow killed thousands of them for it." Sakura, scowled deeply at these words. "Eventually," Atsushi went on. "The demon grew tired of the endless slaughter. So he turned his paradise into a land of treacherous winter to be at peace from humanity."

"And... this barren ice land is where you think Sasuke is?" Sakura asked. A look of worry and resentment crossed her face.

"According to this scroll it's the same place." said the secretary.

"Do we know anything else about this myth?" She asked now turning to Gaara.

"No" Gaara sighed. "We're not even sure if this legend is remotely real but there is no other reason we can find for Sasuke to be in such a place."

"According to the Hokage, Orochimaru has always been a big believer in superstition." grunted Atsushi. "He must be after something involving this legend or maybe he knows something we don't about it. Even if it's nothing I think, it would be in every ninjas interest to investigate what Orochimaru is up to out their."

"If the legend is real," said Gaara hastily. "And Orochimaru or Sasuke somehow gains a power similar to the one in this story it could mean a lot of trouble for us all."

Naruto continued to stare at the eye on the map taking in the information.

"I'll inform you if we find anything else" said Gaara going through another pile of paper and gestured towards the door.

"Thanks for all your help" said Sakura bowing.

Naruto looked Gaara in the eye's again "This means a lot to us. Thank you." he then bowed as well before taking his leave.

"What do you think all that stuff was about?" asked Sakura as they made their way down the sandy rode back to the inn they had been staying at the last few weeks.

"I'm not sure" Said Naruto, his eyes were unfocused as they walked through the heated village. So many thoughts were on his mind and he wasn't entirely sure if he should be happy or worried about this new news. On one hand that had finally found Sasuke and knew his current location. On the other… it seemed as though he would be harder to reach than they originally thought. It was a while before he noticed that Sakura was frowning and in deep thought as well. "I'm sure will find Sasuke before he gets too close to trouble." Naruto grinned trying his best to brighten her spirits.

Sakura smiled softly. "Ya, your right." She said picking herself up. "Want to get something to eat?" She offered eyeing a few stands nearby. Thier exotic food smelled delicious and it had been a while since either of them had a proper meal.

"Maybe later," said Naruto still focused on his earlier thoughts.

"Later?" Said Sakura sounding flabbergasted. "Since when do you turn down food?"

"I don't," Naruto started to say, "it's just..." He wanted to tell her how scared he really was and how much he was worried about their old friend's welfare at that moment. But he knew that saying so out loud would only cause her worry for Sasuke to escalate as well. He sighed. The ninja looked towards the evening sun that was blazing down upon them and mumbled "It's hot."

Thanks for reading! Please leave a comment and tell me your thoughts on this first chapter.
Sign up to rate and review this story