Categories > Games > Halo > Rebache

Act I Chapter V: Vanishing Point

by sgtlegendkiller 0 reviews

Slight Transformationz!

Category: Halo - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Crossover,Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2015-07-04 - 4328 words

0Unrated
SGTLEGENDKILLEЯ
Rebache
Act I Chapter V
“Vanishing Point”

A1C5 Track
One Good Reason ~ Celldweller (Celldweller)

D: 11:58 p.m. June 19th, 2016a

Sam slowly shifted his Challenger into park before slowly turning the key in the ignition to shut the vehicle off. He rested several moments in the leather driving seat as he listened to the engine tick and whirr softly from a lengthy drive. Shortly after his win the day before, he was given the location via phone call in which to meet Mr. Czar’s assistant to receive his prize. The meeting place was out in the middle of nowhere just off a Salvicon exit. It was slightly hidden and secluded, so it would do just fine. With a sigh, he took a sip from a coffee he had picked up after filling the gas tank of the car just a few minutes prior to reaching the destination. He never did anything remotely like this in private without a full tank of gas.

Before exiting the vehicle, Sam reached over and took a pistol from between his seat at the center console. The pistol was a HK45 that his father had given to him on a previous birthday as a means of self-defense. Sam kept the thing in his car just in case of any unruliness that ever would happen in his line of work. He never once had to use it, but he was not one to go unprepared; he would use it if he had too. He set it inside a pocket under his jacket before he took a magazine and slide that into the same pocket as the handgun. He then exited the car and waited for anyone to show up.

The sky was patchy; through spots vacant of clouds stars could be seen. Even though the moon had given some solace from the dark landscape of the night, it hardly did more than lightly illuminating the scattered clouds overhead. For the most part, the only lights against the dense darkness were the headlights of the late night trucks that were traveling down the Salvicon that was just half a mile or so down the road from the meeting location. With a shiver, he put his hands in his pocket as he sat lightly on the front of the hood of his car; it was fairly chilly on this night for some reason.

Ignoring the sudden chill, Sam pulled out a cigarette from his coat and put it between his lips. He then began to fish around the multiple pockets of his jacket for his lighter. He did not usually smoke however tonight was different; this whole situation was already unnervingly stressful for him. The main reason he did not do it often was that he didn’t like the taste or smell of the tobacco, but due to his father’s use when he was younger, he had already been conditioned to tolerate the nasty burning cancer stick. He felt his fingers graze the metal tip of the lighter and so he pulled it out.

He lifted the lighter towards the end of the cigarette and flicked the striker twice before a small flame started from the lighter. He moved the flame to the tip and drew in slowly to help the cigarette catch. As soon as the tip held a good ember, he took a deep inhale of the cigarette as he slipped the lighter back into his pocket. With the fresh rush of nicotine in him, he gave a drawn out sigh as he let his tense shoulders sag softly. He looked down at the cigarette as he put his lighter away and shook his head in resentment.

He stood for a few moments, occasionally taking a few puffs of the cancer stick. Even after the few short inhales of the chemicals, his lungs begged for an end. Regretting the cigarette immediately, he decided to discard it. He went to take one final puff as a loud metallic screech rang out to the eastward sky. The sound made him jump at the immediate snap from silence. Wide eyed and stiff, he listened to the screech as it echoed loudly over the landscape in the distance. He was frozen from this as his mind was racing; his thoughts ran parallel between finding out what it was and getting in the car and splitting. His still stature was soon bothered by a new sound that had introduced itself from above. This time it was a loud whining hum that was unlike anything Sam had ever heard before in his life. With full uncertainty, he watched to the clouds towards the source of the sound. In was only a few moments before his curiosity was answered. Soon a swift moving beetle shaped object burst from the clouds to the east. He was quick to notice that the object not only was getting closer, but quickly heading directly towards him.

Sam stood from his car and watched with his feet planted in the dirt as he watched the strange object. The thing moved quite quickly, much like a determined military piolet helicopter. Strangely enough, the sounds or sight of any sort of blades could not be heard or seen from the object even as it began to slow menacingly just above where Sam was. He looked up at the bottom of the object to see that it was lit up like a Christmas tree with many spots of blueish light that ran alone the underside of the very alien shaped craft. He blinked quickly as the downforce of the very obvious non-Human craft kicked up a near constant blast of sand that flurried at Sam as it hovered loudly to a stop several yards ahead of the Challenger.

A beam of light shot down from an illuminated opening that appeared on the underside of the craft. The cigarette fell from Sam’s mouth as he began to come to his senses from the quickly developing scenario before him. Having seen enough already, he quickly moved back to the driver side door of the Challenger. He had hardly slid into the seat before he turned the key of the ignition; the engine gave its familiar growl as he looked back up at the craft. As he did a large bipedal figure was being lowered down to the ground in the light beam as if it was some sort of gravitational elevator. The figure was Human like besides the fact that he placed it close to nine feet tall, it had digitigrade legs, and an overall sense of being the literal definition of a non-Human powerhouse. The creature held some sort of green tinted weapon in one arm as it pointed towards Sam. Its mouth split into quarters and spread widely as it snarled in a voluminous foreign tongue that was just below audible levels over the engine.

“Fuck this!” Sam spat as another creature descended from the craft.

Sam flicked his headlights on, which seemed to effectively blind the creatures where they stood, as he dropped the shifter into first and slammed down onto the gas pedal. The engine roared loudly as the tires spun furiously in the dirt. As soon as the vehicle began to roll forward, he turned the wheel swiftly to the left. The rear of the Challenger slid around before Sam corrected the wheel towards the entrance of the turnoff. Luckily for him, the spinning tires of the car threw sand up into the air, creating a dust cloud that would give him a bit of cover as he played with his pedals to get the Challenger moving.

The Challenger continued to slide and slip through the dirt as Sam made his way down the curved entrance to the turnoff. As he maneuvered the vehicle towards pavement, several green colored streaking projectiles zipped around the car. One of these streaks entered his passenger window and exited out the right side of the windshield. He flinched from what he could only think of a bullet going through the cabin. Despite the sudden fire, he paid as much concentration as he could allocate mentally on getting himself onto the road and putting some distance to whatever bizarre happening that had unfolded just moments before.

Soon the Challenger finally reached the roadway. Even as the tires hit pavement, Sam didn’t let up. In turn, the wheels screamed for grip as the rear of the car swayed widely as he turned right down the road towards the Salvicon. He straightened out the car before power shifting into second. The car barreled down the road madly towards the highway. He looked in the rearview mirror to see the lights of the craft moving to pursue him. He questioned whether he would actually be able to get away from it, and soon as reached the onramps to the highway, he felt he would give it his best effort.

He slowed down to around 45 mph after downshifting into second from third to turn onto the onramp. The car lost traction as he fluttered the throttle mid turn. Despite the slight sliding of the rear tires, Sam managed to keep the car and himself very controlled. Just as the Challenger hit the sweet spot of traction while exiting the slide, he punched the accelerator to the floor. The supercharger of the car loudly wailed and shoved Sam back into his seat hard as the car bolted forward up the ramp.

Sam gripped the steering wheel tightly as the tachometer quickly run up into the red levels. He power shifted into third gear once the car reached the speed of 90mph. The Challenger bellowed as the engine churned devilishly under the hood as it propelled the driveshaft through the spindles. The car blasted onto the Salvicon at 115mph from the off-ramp. Sam looked back in the rearview once again to see the craft turning over the highway after him. He grimaced and shifted into forth as he passed a ‘Speed Limit 125’ sign on the side of the road.

‘The Challenger buckled once more as it roared toward 150 mph. The car began to shake from the craft that pursued closely overhead; the craft’s hum shook the car and even over the loud engine note of the car, it deafened Sam as it rocketed down the highway after him. He shifted quickly into fifth gear and sank back into his seat once again as the car roared on. Once again he tracked the location of the craft glancing up at it as he could out the windows. The craft only seem to waiver slightly from side to side as Sam would maneuver quickly around a civilian car or truck.

The speedometer reached 180mph and Sam then shifted into sixth gear. He grimaced as the speedometer slowly began to climb for 190mph. As the needle climbed and the car shook through the triple digits, he looked frequently to the right where the craft seemed to have no trouble keeping up with the Challenger. With the speedometer now reading 190, he began to feel a sense of dreed. For one, this craft was not letting him go without a fight. Secondly, he had never gone this fast in the Challenger. Sure, he had handled the Ford GT just fine over the 230 mph mark the day before, but never in his car.

“Cmon!” Sam shouted out in frustration.

His voice rang just short over the engine and the sounds of the craft. He watched as the Challenger struggled over the 195 mph mark. He breathed heavily, both of his hands shook against the steering wheel as the wind resistance ran its course over the vehicle. Over the period of several more seconds on the clock, the car struggled vigorously. Before he knew it, Sam watched the speedometer roll over to 200 mph; Sam didn’t know that this car could actually do it, but it did. He watched out for any other vehicles on the road and blasted on at this speed.

He traveled at this for what seemed like minutes. He glanced every now and then to see if the craft was still there. After several frustrating moments of tension, the hum of the craft disappeared. All that was left was the roar of the Challenger. The craft, after following for minutes, had seemed too given up. Sam gave an excited smile of a hopeful victory, and so he began to slow down to a less straining speed.

His joy was short lived as a new sound could be heard approaching from behind. Sam checked behind him to notice a spotlight from a helicopter move up onto him from behind. He cursed under his breath and flicked his forgotten police scanner on to see what was going on. The radio turned on and immediately was filled with the crackling reports of a gray Dodge Challenger traveling down the Salvicon at speeds exceeding 185 miles per hour. The spot light of the police helicopter stuck to him as he continued his high speed traveling. He was grateful; the helicopter had probably scared the strange craft off, but now he unfortunately had to deal with law enforcement. He would much rather worry about them than whatever the hell he had seen from the craft. He had to lose the police. He doubt they would buy his telling of UFOs and aliens.

He raced on, the engine of the challenger bellowed steadily as he kept the vehicle around 185mph. He was waiting for the right moment to ditch the helicopter. It would be quite a challenge considering there was low traffic and hardly anywhere to effectively break the helicopter’s sight on him. He doubted there would be any aqueducts to save him. Luckily for him there was hardly any traffic and he somehow even had not run into officers for several minutes. The lack of patrolmen would not last long however. Soon, after passing the occasional semi-truck, there was an upcoming exit to a small town near where his dad lived. He eventually had lead the helicopter on for so long that it followed closely behind to the point it was just a few meters above the elevation to miss the signs and trucks on the highway. Just then a pair of police lights quickly pulled onto the opposite side of the highway at an exit just ahead of him. He would need to act quickly now as those lights belonged the same highway interceptors that his father drove.

As he got to the off ramp he passed it as he was going to continue on the Salvicon. With a quick sense of style, he turned his lights off and pressed hard on the brakes. The car lurched harshly and quickly lost speed. The police helicopter, being so close on him, could not correct itself quick enough to counter Sam’s sudden braking and so it flew quickly flew passed Sam, leaving him in the darkness as it began a rushed wide arc to circle around. Before it could do turn itself to find Sam once again, he had reached the other side of the overpass. He then pulled the emergency brake and slid around quickly into the dirt median between the two sides of the highway. Using the light from a streetlight under the overpass, he accelerated forward and quickly maneuvered between the railings of the overpass and skirted towards the descending turf towards the road beneath the highway. The two Highway Vipers had noticed this act of evasion as they accelerated in his previous direction over the overpass and had begun to slow down to try to catch one of the onramps off of the highway.

Sam continued to accelerate between the railings. The Challenger left the dirt as the ground slanted with angled concrete under the overpasses. The engine screamed loudly as the tires spun madly without anything beneath them to grip to. The car jerked furiously as it slammed against the angled cement; sparks shot out furiously as the underbelly of the car took the blunt of the return to surface. Sam grimaced as he desperately turned the wheel to the right in order to turn onto the roadway as easy as he could. The car clashed with the level pavement harshly, shooting more sparks on contact during this, and left the vehicle leaning on only two screeching wheels on the left side. Sam quickly corrected the vehicle and brought the car to all four tires once again before flooring the accelerator. Using the slight illumination of the moon above, he rocketed towards the town his father lived. He listened over the engine’s roaring to find that the Highway Vipers couldn’t get around to see what direction he went, and the helicopter had not arced around to see either. The helicopter was going off to the direction behind Sam and the two Highway Vipers were following his path far behind him. With this advantage, he floored on down the road. He knew the Challenger would never best the Vipers so he turned off on the first dirt road to go on a back road path which would eventually lead to their evasion.

After he eventually evaded the Highway Vipers, he continued on rolling through back streets and alley ways in order to get to his father’s house. He steered clear of the locations that he knew that police would be sitting for speed traps and paid close attention to his police scanner to hear where the Vipers were looking. With some quick paced turns and snap decisions he soon slid himself into his father’s driveway. He quickly rolled into the garage next to his father’s interceptor and quickly ran to the garage door and closed it after turning the car off and exiting it. He looked out the glass panels to look for police just as a single Crown Victoria Police cruiser rolled by his father’s house slowly. The cruiser continued down the road passed his father house. He was in the clear… or so he thought.

The sound of a shotgun being racked suddenly sounded out loudly behind him. Sam turned to see his father holding a 12 gauge at him from the other side of the Challenger. His father lowered the gun quickly as he saw it was Sam. His father now held the shotgun down by his hip, still in Sam’s direction.

“Sam?!” his father shouted angrily.

“Dad! Calm down! I can explain!” Sam tried to get a word in before his father gave his expected earful rant of righteousness

“No Sam! I told you many times before: I am not helping you with your law problems! You get yourself out of this garage or I will call them and tell them you are here!” His upset father stood fast.

“Dad! Listen! There was something-” Sam tried to speak, but was cut off.

“I don’t want to hear it!” His father swallowed. “I can’t believe that you have the guts to show up here after what you did yesterday.” He spat.

“C’mon, dad. I had to!” Sam argued stupidly, not having ammunition to spit back at his father.

“Oh?!” His father now shouted. “At those fucking speeds!?” His father never swore.

“I didn’t set it up!”

“Then who did?!”

“I don’t know! Some rich guy!”

“It had better been worth it, son.” His father grimaced at Sam.

“A million dollars is worth it!”

“…What!?” his father stood confused, but never the less unwavering and strict. “And that warrants reckless driving and excessive speeding?!”

Sam had about enough of this, but he was being respectful for the time being, and remained quiet.

“You know three people died on that highway yesterday?” His father said darkly. “It made headline news, you know. You should be ashamed.”

“I saved your life dad! Don’t throw statistics at me!” Sam suddenly shouted, adding some fuel to the fire.

“Excuse me?” His father raised a bushy eyebrow.

“They were offering 100,000 dollars to anyone who hurt any police…” Sam admitting, quietly fearing how much he could tell his father.

“They… they did?” His father asked, a bit more calm than he was before.

“Yeah…” Sam looked down at the floor. He indeed felt a bit of sorrow for the lives lost and for the scolding.

His father gave a sigh. It was the kind of sigh that a father would give when he knew he was about to do something against all of his better judgement and gut instincts. “Get in here… Come inside. You can stay until this all dies down.” His father spoke softly, caring but with a taint of moral defeat.

“Really?” Sam asked in disbelief.

“Yeah… now get in here before I change my mind.” His father lowered the gun to his side as he pushed the safety in.

“Ok… Thank you. Just let me grab something real quick.”

Sam quickly went back into his car and grabbed his phone from inside the door. He slipped the phone into his pocket and closed the door. Closing the door softly, he turned to join his father at the entrance of the garage. The unexpected hum of the alien craft suddenly built up from the front side of the house. The sound, seemingly coming from nowhere in an instant, made Sam stop dead in his tracks. His father, hearing it as well, raised his shotgun slightly towards the garage door.

“What the hell is that?” His father looked to the door nervously.

Sam turned slightly back towards the door uneasily. He was about to begin to explain quietly just before the center window of the garage was suddenly blasted inward by some sort of large metallic projectile. He didn’t have time to move out of the way of the streaking object and so it struck him in the center of his chest. The force of the collision took Sam from his feet and to the cement floor of the garage. The blunt of the pain came not from the impact of the object or his back against the cement floor, but instead from the penetration of what felt like a spike being forcefully lodged several inches through his sternum. Sam gave a loud yelp as the object continued to propel against him even after colliding with him, pinning him to the floor.

The object, as he could see from his panicked eyes, looked like a large scale wing corkscrew without the ring on top and shorter levers protruding from the side. The object itself looked very much like some sort of carrier as the center of the object was an opening that a glass housed inside could be seen; the glass, much like a medical bulb, contained a dark green colored liquid that gave off a faint glow. The metal body of the object was made of a strange looking metal that glistened slightly from the lights of the garage despite it looking like the metal was rough in texture and unpolished. It was nothing he had ever seen in his 25 years of life.

He took hold of the object and tried to pry it from his check. This proved unsuccessful as the object somehow overpowered him as it was somehow still pushing against his chest. The levers on the side suddenly flipped up on the sides that the bulb was visible. As they did Sam felt four more shots of pain as if smaller spikes had entered around the first as if the object was latching against his chest. Once the object had latched into his chest, a section of the object seemed disintegrate into whitish light that would strangely disappear into thin air. As the section of the thing disappeared the force that it had holding Sam to the floor ceased. The liquid in the bulb began to illuminate brighter as it started to fizz and churn within the glass.

“Sam!” His father dropped to Sam’s side as quick as he could. “Are you ok?!” His father asked frantically as he looked at the thing in his son’s chest clueless.

“NO!” Sam yelled as he still tried to pry the thing from him in vain.

The liquid in the bulb then quickly sank from the glass towards his chest. He felt a deep surge as the liquid was forced into his body; the surge was swift and vicious, only taking a full second to complete. Sam found his entire body suddenly enflamed in deep and fierce pain that he mentally compared to being on fire while being crushed by a dump compactor at the same time. The pain was so severe that he found himself unable control his movements as he screamed trembling while he watching his skin begin to literally crawl and ripple.

His vision blurred drastically from the worst pain he had ever felt in his life. Every muscle in his body was constricting; every bone seemed to crack; every inch of skin burned. He tried to maintain any sense of control as his head rolled and twitched around slightly as he painfully watched the skin of his arms burning into a greyish color in quickly growing patches all over. As his skin seemed to change, the entire object began to disappear into fading streaks of light only to disappear without a trace.

His clothing began to feel tight around him as he felt his tensed muscles growing larger. More bones snapped and shattered under his changing skin. His vision started to blacken out around the edges, giving him tunnel vision. His breathing was sporadic to the point he felt as if his lungs would explode from his burning chest. Somehow he caught a breath before letting out a horrified wailing scream as his jaw snapped violently in half at the center.

“Sam!!” His father’s yell was the last thing he heard before swiftly blacking out.
Sign up to rate and review this story