Categories > TV > Power Rangers > Times Present, Times Past

Deliverance At Hand

by Dagmar 0 reviews

Finally, the Rangers figure out how to retrieve their lost friends. But will it be in time?

Category: Power Rangers - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Jason, Kat - Published: 2006-08-16 - Updated: 2006-08-16 - 7504 words

0Unrated


Disclaimer:
Not mine, no money (damn, could I use some, this close to/after Christmas!), just fun.

Note:
This chapter is going to bring a surprise to a lot of people. evil grin I hope I'm not disappointing too many of you guys ... and remember this: If you kill me now after reading this chapter, the story will never get finished ... Enjoy, and leave a little feedback on the way out, please?DB


Times Present, Times Past

Chapter 9: Deliverance At Hand






/Angel Grove, the Past /


With a weary sigh, Kat straightened into a sitting position and wiped a tired hand across her forehead. Her legs ached, her back hurt, and she was hot. Not just because of the summer temperature, but also from working this close by the fire; she'd been turning the rabbit Jason had managed to snare yesterday on their spit for over an hour, to make sure it roasted evenly. Game had been scarce recently, and they needed to husband what little provisions they had as much as possible, especially now that her advanced pregnancy prevented her from doing her share of gathering foodstuffs.

And it was going to be even more difficult in the weeks to come, she knew; the baby was due in six weeks or so (if she had been counting right), and there was no way they could leave an infant unattended while both of them were out foraging.

I really have to think of a way and place to plant things, she mused. It was vital to their survival that they have a steady food supply close at hand, and while neither she nor Jason was much of a botanist or gardener, they saw no other choice. We can probably plant some of those roots we found beyond the hill, and I think I saw some type of grain-bearing grass on the other side of the lake ... it'll be a day's march either way to collect seedlings, but that can't be helped.

She spared a fleeting thought to the fact that she was making long-term plans now; somehow, due to the more pressing problems they were facing, 'going home' had become rather less immediate than it had been a year ago. But Kat shook it off with only a small measure of regret and guilt; the process had started when she and Jason had taken the step from being just fellow castaways and friends into couplehood. Especially now when the child she was carrying brought them closer together each day.

With a smile, she placed a hand on her large belly, feeling the baby shift minutely inside of her.

"You don't know how lucky you are, kid," she murmured softly. "At least you're comfortable, get fed automatically, have built-in air conditioning ... that is, if you don't feel how hot I am." As if in answer, a tiny foot kicked against her midsection, and the blonde chuckled. "Was that a yes or no?"

Smiling to herself, she heaved herself to her feet and went to their storage cavelet. Bending, she moved a small, flat rock guarding their 'cellar' out of the way and reached inside for the water skin she'd sewn last winter; the seams weren't very tight, but sealing them with tree sap seemed to help, and it was better to have water on hand at all times now that her mobility was so limited. Kat loosened the string from around the wooden stopper Jason had carved, pulled it from the neck and took a sip, then grimaced. While the liquid soothed her parched throat, it wasn't really refreshing. She'd gotten fresh water only that morning, but even leaving it in the shade couldn't prevent it from getting tepid. The weather was just too hot; they were lucky that so far, none of their supplies had spoiled due to the heat.

Kat swallowed, but her pretty face scrunched up with distaste. "Yuck."

She looked around for Jason; he was within shouting distance at the edge of the forest, trying to break a large branch he'd dragged towards their camp into more manageable logs. With no axe or other heavy tools, it was hard, backbreaking labor and what he couldn't break with karate chops or over his knees, he was forced to split over an arrangement of rocks and tree trunks; hardly an ideal method, but the best they could come up with. Kat was sure he was sweating even more than herself; there was no way she could ask him to go fetch fresh water. She'd have to do it herself, if she wanted better than what was in their water skin.

Kat sighed. She was not looking forward to a ten-minute walk into the forest, but the shallow waters of the lake were as warm as bath water - no improvement there. However, the inlet where Jason had caught her bathing all those months ago was pretty shaded all day long; there was one spot where a rock jutted out over the surface that might possibly have cooler water she could reach.

Oh, what the heck. A little exercise will do me good, and maybe I can even take a short dip to cool off ...

Making sure that their roast wouldn't burn, Kat moved slowly towards Jason. Just as she reached him, the thick branch he was working on snapped cleanly in half with a loud crack, leaving two perfect logs on either side of the rocks Jason had wedged it between for leverage.

"Bravo," Kat smiled, offering him the water skin.

Jason straightened and shook the sweat out of his eyes. The leather strip he'd wound around his forehead barely helped to keep his hair (by now as long as Adam's) away from his face, and a few strands stuck to his damp, bearded cheeks. His chest and back gleamed with perspiration, sharply outlining his muscles, no longer sculpted in the gym but by months of hard work. Kat took a second to admire the view. Jason had always been the most muscular of the Rangers, but months of hunting, wood-chopping and whatnot, coupled with often insufficient food, had burned away all non-essential fat under his skin. He wasn't quite as lean as Tommy, never would be because of his wider shoulders, but he looked tough, even slightly dangerous, especially with his rough 'jungle look' attire.

Kat supposed she didn't look much different - or would again, once her pregnancy was over. She knew that there was hardly any softness left in herself, too. Being marooned in the past like this, for so long, dependent only on each other, had changed them both - in more ways than were visible on the outside. But this wasn't something she liked to dwell on. Instead, she made a small gesture, inviting Jason to take the water container she offered.

"Thanks," he panted, brushed his hands against his leather kilt and reached for the skin to drink deeply, managing not to spill a single drop. It had taken both of them quite a while to master the technique of drinking from a soft container. When he'd slaked his thirst, he grimaced much as Kat had done.

"That's nasty - like dishwater," he grumbled, but his dark eyes smiled. "But thanks anyway."

"I'm on my way to get fresh water," Kat informed him as she took the skin back. "It's just too hot today; not even the cellar will keep things cool during daylight hours."

"Are you sure you should?" Jason asked. "I'll be done with this load in half an hour; I could go then ..."

"Jase, in half an hour the meat will be ready," Kat demurred. "If you go fetch water then, it'll be cold by the time you return. Besides, I'm pregnant, not an invalid. Getting fresh water isn't that big a chore; I'm sure it won't overtax me."

"Well..." He didn't like it, but Kat had a point. Due to her condition, there was little enough she could do right now, and it would be nice to have a cool drink waiting when he was done, so ... "Okay. Just be careful, okay? I don't want anything to happen to the two of you." Briefly, he touched her swollen belly. Despite the obvious problems lying ahead, he was still anticipating the birth of their baby with something close to joy.

Kat smiled and covered Jason's hand with hers. Obligingly, the baby placed a lusty kick against the very spot.

"Ow."

Jason grinned, absurdly pleased as always when he felt those prenatal movements. "What to you think that was? Ballet, or karate?"

She glowered at him. "I don't care. If he or she doesn't stop it, I'll get mad."

He had to laugh. "Better be careful, kiddo," he addressed her stomach in a loud, conspiratorial stage whisper. "Your mom mad is not a pretty sight, trust me on that."

"Hmph." But Katherine found she had to share Jason's laughter. However, she couldn't just let him get away with that remark. Putting on her most angelic smile, she upended the almost-empty skin and squirted the last of the stale water onto his feet, turning the dust coating them into an instant coating of runny mud.

"Hey!"

"Yes?" she queried oh-so-innocently - stepping prudently out of his reach.

"I'll get you for this," Jason threatened, dark eyes alight with humor.

"Not if you want some of the water I'm getting, you don't," she countered placidly.

"Oh, alright, alright," he mock-grumbled. "Get going already!"

Kat winked at him and wandered off, strolling leisurely towards the woods. Her gait wasn't as graceful as it used to be, but that didn't stop Jason from ogling her swaying hips and still-luscious backside. Wisely, he bit back the wolf whistle he was tempted to make as he felt himself react to the sight. There'd be time enough for that once Kat would be able again to appreciate his appreciation.

~*~





Oh, it's nice here!

Kat nearly moaned with delight as she was enveloped by the trees' shadows. The foliage wasn't quite dense enough to completely block the sky and the day's heat, but sufficient to lower the temperature so that walking through the trees was a most welcome relief. The closer she got to the inlet, the nicer it became, actually; the water helped cool the air around it even more. When she reached her destination, she took a moment to admire the glitter of sun on the calm surface, the banks dotted here and there with splashes of greenery.

Soon, she spotted the place she'd had in mind - a slight overhang on the opposite side of the inlet. Rather than taking the easy slope down to the water and sloshing around the edge in full sunlight, she decided to walk in the shadow of the tree line, a few feet above. The bank was higher and steeper there, about six meters down at roughly a 40-degree angle, but Kat knew there were a few rocks embedded in the earth that made perfectly serviceable stepping stones - almost like stairs. Of course there was no handrail, but if she used the branches of the bushes growing there for balance ...

I'll be doing just fine!

Once she arrived, Kat carefully angled for that first 'step'. It was a bit slanted, but definitely would do. With more confidence, she took a second step down, then a third. The flat rock wobbled somewhat under her foot, but a quick grip into the gorse bush to her right helped steady her, and she got down to the water's edge with no further problems. There was not even the hint of a breeze to ripple the water; it was so still and clear, she could see the rocks she needed to tread on quite perfectly. Cautiously, Kat went in.

It was sheer heaven to wade out into the water; while warmer than usual, it still was wonderfully cooling on her skin. Kat wished she could take the time to slip off her frock and just lie down in the shallows for a while, but if she did that, she'd never make it back on time for their meal. Besides, she'd promised Jason to have fresh water once he finished his work ... she couldn't resist the temptation to splash herself as much as possible, though, washing off the day's accumulated sweat. She shivered slightly when a few stray droplets found their way down her back, but it was more refreshing than anything else, so she scooped up another double handful and bathed her face. It felt great on her overheated skin, and she smiled with delight.

Perhaps Jason and I can take a dip in the lake tonight, once it gets cooler, she mused as the water trickled down her arms and neck. It wouldn't be the long, leisurely soak she craved, but it would both relieve her aching back and serve as a bath. I'll just have to ask him very nicely ...

The possibilities inherent in that thought had her smile to herself ... and the power to make her blush, even though nobody could see her.

"First things first, girl," she muttered under her breath, unstoppered her water skin and reached into the water under the overhang. As she'd hoped, it was significantly cooler about a foot below the surface. Bending over to submerge the skin as deeply as she could, Kat nearly lost her balance, but recovered just in time, cursing softly. She wouldn't have minded the dunk per se, but it would be murder to get her frock dry again; inexpertly-tanned leather was not suited to getting wet all over. And she only had this one garment big enough to cover her pregnant figure.

Modesty may mostly have fallen by the wayside a while ago, but there's no way I'm going to run around naked, she thought as bubbles started to rise from the leather bottle's neck as it filled. /Although, knowing Jason, he wouldn't mind. The fink! /But she had to smile fondly at the idea nonetheless. It was nice to know that he considered her attractive, despite her current girth and the fact that she was sure she looked as scruffy most days as he did. Maybe one day. Later. If he's been very, VERY good.

The leather bottle gave up one last spurt of air bubbles as it filled completely and sank downward with a tiny, sudden jerk, pulling her out of her musings. Fumbling under the water to get the neck closed again, Kat hefted it out. Shaking off the excess moisture as best she could, she tucked the dripping, sloshing container under one arm and carefully picked her way back to shore. Kat moaned softly as she contemplated the climb back up, but the trees' shade was just too inviting - much preferable to a longer (if easier) hike in the bright sun around the water's edge.

I'll lose all feeling of being refreshed if I go that way!

So, intent on getting the water back to their camp as quickly as possible while it was still cool and fresh, she began the climb up, unmindful of her wet feet and legs.

It wasn't quite as easy climbing the bank as it had been going down; the water skin was more awkward to manage full than empty, the upward angle she had to manoeuvre didn't help ... and Kat felt her swollen belly get in the way of her climb more than once.

"I should've taken the long way after all," she groused at herself. About halfway up, she stopped to catch her breath, keeping her balance with difficulty. Looking back the way she'd come, though, Kat realized that there was no way she could turn safely - not without a proper handhold.

Blast, I'm just not limber enough right now!

Sighing, she resumed her ascent, slipping a few times on the springy, leaves-and-moss-covered ground. The bushes were hard to grasp, and not very secure to hold on to, so she struggled up as best she could. Finally, there were only a few more steps to go; eager to be done with her climb and to get back under the trees, she fumbled for the next stepping stone. Feeling the smooth, flat surface under her sole, she firmly placed her left foot on it and moved up.

In her haste to reach the top of the incline, however, she'd forgotten all about that wobbly stone she'd noticed on her way down. As she put her full weight onto the stone, it shifted and came loose right under her. With a surprised yelp, Kat lost her balance and swayed precariously, losing the water skin in the process. Her arms flailed wildly as she tried to reach a branch, a shrub, anything, but to no avail. Before she could even utter another sound, she keeled over backwards and tumbled down the bank once more, to land harshly back in the water - right on one of the rocks dotting the shallows.

~*~



Dazed and breathless, Kat lay where she'd fallen for a few moments, trying to keep her face out of the water. She'd been able to brace herself, enough at least not to hit her head, but the rest of her body was another matter entirely. Her arms and legs were scratched and bruised, she'd hit at least one stone with her hipbone, and her large belly ...

"My baby...!"

Anxiously, she forced herself into an upright position and ran her hands across her stomach. The baby had kicked wildly a couple of times right after she'd landed, but at this very moment had gone completely still within her.

Too still. Oh my God!

Desperately hoping that the current inactivity was just a reaction to her tumble and not an indication of something more sinister, Kat struggled to her feet. She hurt in every bone, she was dizzy with reaction, but realized that she needed to lie down and rest - and dared not stay alone, in case something serious had happened. Barely remembering to pick up the water container, she made her way to the path back to camp ... taking the circuitous, longer, safer route this time.

Please, God - let everything be alright!

~*~



When she finally limped from the trees towards their camp, Kat was hotter and felt more exhausted than she'd been before she'd left. Jason was done with his wood chopping and sat by the fire, carefully sliding the roasted rabbit off the spit. He looked up from his task, a teasing remark on his lips, but it died unspoken as he took in Kat's bedraggled appearance and painful grimace. Immediately, he laid the meat aside and jumped up to support her.

"What's wrong?" he asked concernedly as he guided her towards the fire.

"Nothing, I hope," Kat said through gritted teeth as she leaned gratefully on Jason's arm. She ached all over, and was 'listening' intently to every twinge in her body. There was still nothing, and she had no idea whether that was a good sign or not.

Deep inside the darkest corner of her mind, she feared it wasn't.

"You're wet all over; what happened?" Jason questioned solicitously. He didn't like her expression, could see the fear lurking at the back of the blue eyes, and felt a cold ball of dread form in the pit of his stomach. "Did you slip in the water?"

"I fell," Kat sighed as she sank down, relieved to be no longer alone. Somehow, even though there was probably nothing he could do to help her, she felt safer now that she was with Jason. With a groan, she stretched out her legs and lay back. Jason grabbed a bundle of furs and tucked it behind her to cushion the ground. "Thanks. - I was on my way up the bank when a stone under my foot got loose and I lost my balance."

"Oh no," Jason commiserated. "Are you okay?"

She closed her eyes wearily. "Personally, I don't think I got more than a few bumps and bruises after I got my breath back, but ..." Instinctively, her hand came to rest on her navel.

Jason's dark eyes followed her movement, and he grasped the implication immediately.

"What about the baby?" he asked in a hushed tone. The cold ball in his belly seemed to double in size.

She couldn't meet his gaze. "I don't know," she admitted in a choked whisper. "There were a few hefty kicks at first, but since then ... nothing."

Jason digested that with a frown. "That ... that's good, right?"

"I wish I knew."

"Maybe the baby's just recovering from the shock or something," he postulated, trying to inject hope and optimism into his voice. "And that's why it's not moving. Maybe all you need is some rest, and things'll be back to normal in the morning."

She looked up at Jason, realizing that he was trying to cheer her up when she knew he didn't know anything more - less, even - than she did and forced a smile she didn't feel.

"Yeah, maybe."

"Anyway, you just lie back and stay here; I'll take care of everything," Jason murmured, kissing her gently on the brow. "Dinner's ready; I'll fix a plate for you." He moved back towards the fire, getting out one of their plastic plates.

Kat didn't think she was up to eating much of anything, but her mind told her she was going to need the strength, no matter what would happen next. So she accepted a few pieces of meat and some fruit when Jason brought it over to her and nibbled slowly on the offering. She scowled when he poured a cup of water for her; if she hadn't gone to fill that stupid skin by herself, she was sure she wouldn't be experiencing the faint nausea she was right now. But she was thirsty, the water /was /still cool, so she finished the cup as well before reclining back onto the furs Jason had placed at her back. Kat watched him clean their utensils and stow the leftover food away in their 'cellar'; it wouldn't keep past the next morning in this heat, but at least they wouldn't have to forage for breakfast. Plus it would make a more substantial first meal than just fruit.

Dusk was beginning to fall over the lake when Kat stirred and rolled onto her side. She'd been trying to rest, but sleep continued to elude her; the persistent ache in her lower back and the funny pressure on her bladder didn't help, either. Furthermore, she could feel the wetness lingering in her garment from her involuntary dip ... 'Uncomfortable' doesn't even begin to cover how I feel! Yuck! Groaning, she gave up on finding a position to agree with her and attempted to rise, finding it nearly impossible without something to lean on. From his place next to the fire, Jason laid aside the long branch he was trying to whittle into an arrow. He wasn't a particularly skilled archer, and the bow he'd managed to make was probably not very good, either, but they needed some kind of long-range weapon other than a sling or spear if they wanted to hunt more.

"What's up?"

She hated having to do it, but had little choice. The strange sensation in her nether regions intensified now that she was moving. "Help me up, please?"

Willingly, he crouched next to her, taking her elbow in a firm grasp to provide Kat with the leverage she needed. "Do you want something? I'll get it for you," Jason offered gallantly.

Kat smiled wryly as she finally managed to get on her feet. "It's nice of you to offer, but unless you can find a way to get the little rangers' room over here ..."

He chuckled. "Oh, okay. Point taken." He released her arm and stepped back.

She took a step towards their latrine area, but was hit by another wave of dizziness as she felt the pressure inside of herself mounting. The bushes suddenly seemed to be a very long way off. "On second thought, I think I could use some help getting there at least," Kat sighed.

"Sure thing." Sliding one arm around her waist, Jason guided her to the 'bathroom'. "Want me to wait until you're done?"

"If you wouldn't mind ...?"

"Not at all."

"Thanks." Moving slowly, Kat went to do her business.

Crouching over the latrine was awkward in her condition, to say the least, but the thick branch Jason had rigged helped; still, the longer it took, the more cramped Kat was starting to feel. She'd done what she intended to do, and yet she didn't dare get up yet ... there was still a kind of downward pressure that felt extremely uncomfortable. And her lower back was hurting rather fiercely again, too. She shifted position carefully. Suddenly, something in her lower abdomen gave way, and a rush of warm liquid poured from her.

"Eww," Kat murmured to herself, trying to contain the flow, but to her surprise found she couldn't. Try as she might, it continued. Only then did she become aware that the smell was different - not the familiar stench of urine, but rather kind of ... sweetish?

Huh?

Before she could wonder more about what was happening to her, it became sickeningly clear - a sharp pain unlike anything she'd ever experienced lanced through her, radiating from her back, rippling across her distended abdomen to finally settle in her lower belly. No sooner had Kat caught her breath as a second, even more intense wave of cramp-like pain hit her in exactly the same way.

"Oh my God, no ..."

There was only one explanation, and it was enough to fill her with ice-cold fear.

"Jason!"

From the other side of the bushes, he replied promptly, much to her relief.

"Yeah?"

Gulping, Kat tried to keep hysteria out of her voice. "Help me!"

Puzzled and just slightly hesitant, Jason entered the latrine area. They'd always agreed to preserve at least some measure of privacy by keeping away from anything to do with personal hygiene, so for Kat to ask for his assistance now was highly unusual. He had no idea what to expect, but couldn't deny her request either. She was hanging on to the branch he'd set up as a hand-hold, squatting awkwardly over the latrine pit. His bewilderment grew as he noted her panicky expression.



"What's the matter? Can't you get up again?"

She shook her head, fighting tears. "N-no," she choked. "Jason ... I- I think my water just broke!"

For a second, Jason didn't understand. Then, it hit him. He blanched. "Oh shit ... but isn't it too early yet?"

"Yes - about six weeks," Kat sniffled, then moaned as another sharp pain hit her. She swayed and would have fallen if Jason hadn't been there. Quickly, he helped her up and away from the smelly latrine. It wasn't easy, as Kat nearly doubled over as the next contraction came right on the heels of the last one. Not stopping to think, Jason just scooped her up into his arms and carried her back to the fire. It wasn't quite dark yet, but if Kat had truly gone into early labor, they would need the light and warmth. Gently, he lowered her to the ground.

"Hang on, I'll just spread out a blanket," he murmured, suiting action to words.

"Better help me out of my dress, too," Kat requested, wincing. It would be an awkward scramble with her sitting down, not to mention embarrassing, but it was preferable to keeping on the still-damp furry tunic.

"Sure."

Glad to be able to do /something/, however little, Jason made Kat as comfortable as possible, then looked anxiously at her as sweat popped out on her brow and she winced, clenching her hands into the fur beneath her. He'd never felt so helpless in his life.

"Is there anything I can do?" he asked hoarsely when Kat's face relaxed momentarily. He'd never known much about pregnancies or the birth process, but what little he'd learned at school seemed to have vanished into some mental black hole. His mind felt totally, numbingly blank.

"I don't know," Kat panted. "Maybe ... maybe sterilize a knife or something? Get a clean blanket ready?"

"Right away. You just hang in there, okay?"

It was an inane thing to say, he knew that, but what else /could /he say? Jason hurried to comply, all the while casting worried looks at Kat while he was busy. He hated seeing her in obvious pain; so far, they'd been lucky that apart from a few minor ailments like sprains, small cuts and scratches and an occasional cold neither one of them had fallen seriously ill.

Giving birth is not an illness, idiot, he berated himself silently as he hurried to the lake to thoroughly wash his hands. He'd read and heard about people boiling buckets of water in such a situation, but the cookie can they were using as a cooking pot was both too small and hardly clean enough anymore. And if Kat sustained an infection ...

I must not think of all the things that can go wrong, or I'll lose it completely. And that's the last thing Kat needs right now!

Putting as firm a lid as he could on his anxiety, Jason ran through his preparations, until there was not a single detail left undone. As it was, it was pitiful enough. Wishing with all his might that at least his mother was there - Helen had a wonderful touch whenever he'd been sick - Jason finally settled at Kat's side, to begin the wait for their child's imminent arrival.

For her part, Kat focussed on the things happening in her body; she tried to time her contractions by simply counting at a steady pace as far as she could ... and the overall numbers were getting lower at an alarmingly fast pace. She also fought the temptation to scream - not so much because of the pain, although there was that, too - but with fear and frustration. As a result, she was tight as a bowstring, unable to relax and let Nature take its inevitable course.

Suddenly, she felt Jason's hand on her cheek. Looking up at him with frantic eyes, she saw the genuine worry and compassion in the midnight depths as he gently cooled her flushed, sweaty face with a damp rag.

"Don't hold back on my account, hon," he murmured soothingly. "If you need to holler, just do it. I don't think that getting all tensed up will help anything, and there's nobody but me to hear you, anyway."

"I'm scared, Jason," she whimpered between two contractions.

"Me, too," he admitted. "But we have to get through this somehow ... and really, would it have been so much different six weeks from now?"

"I dunno ..."

"I just wish I could take at least some of your pain away."

Dry lips cracked into a tiny, tiny smile. "You can't ... aaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh!"

Taking his advice, Kat arched up as the next contraction hit, emitting a yell that she imagined could be heard clear across the lake - if there had been anyone to hear it, that is. It /did /release some of the tension in her body, though, and she sank back onto her blanket with a weary sigh. How she wished for another woman, or at least someone with a modicum of medical knowledge, to be here right now! Not so much for an analgesic; her labor pains were bad, but not excruciatingly painful. No, just someone who could tell her what to expect, what to do ... more moral support than anything else. They had often talked about the chance of meeting some of the natives - Indians, or maybe explorers or settlers coming up from the coast. In theory, the two castaways had agreed to hide if that came to pass - they didn't want to alter history, after all. But right now, Kat didn't care about that ... and from the muscle tic in Jason's pale cheek, neither did he.

Only, there was no-one. They were truly on their own, and never had Kat felt it more keenly than now.

Jason winced in sympathy as he sat helplessly by, waiting for the moment when his assistance would be needed. He felt completely and utterly useless, and more than once during Kat's ordeal he wished he'd had more willpower to resist her need for closer companionship a year ago.

If I'd been able to say no then, she wouldn't have to suffer so much now.

But he'd needed her just as much, and it was a moot point now, anyway. He just hoped that they would come through this somehow. And soon.

~*~



Angel Grove, the Present

"
Billy, where do you want the portalcoms?" Trini asked, holding one device in her hand. The design had changed dramatically from when they'd tried to retrieve Tommy from Rita's Dark Dimension, and it had been altered again from the search for Kimberly when Zedd was draining her life force. But it had been necessary, to compensate for temporal instead of dimensional application.

"Hmm. If you could fasten it to that wall over there," Billy requested. "Make sure it's level both horizontally and vertically, and the muzzle needs to be precisely 2.1694 meters above ground ..."

"Got it." There was no shortage of willing hands to help her as the slender Asian welded a sturdy clamp to the Power Chamber's far wall. Billy would set the corresponding device onto a plinth of some sort about three meters off, giving them a rectangular space in which to - hopefully! - open a time hole. He, too, had his helpers, while at the back Justin ran a precision scanner over both groups, giving brief directions to shift this here, adjust that there.

At last, both metal poles were in precisely the right place.

"Okay, what now?" Tommy wanted to know, barely controlling his nerves. At least seeing the progress they'd all made was helping him to stay calm. Sort of.

"Now, Justin and I will calibrate the portal beams," Billy declared. "It won't take long, but needs to be executed with the utmost precision; we can't afford any margin of error at this stage."

"In other words, shut up and get out of our way, right?"

Billy allowed himself a brief grin at the wry remark.

"Very succinctly put, Rocky."

"Genius boy at work again, looks like," Aisha quipped with a smile as she, along with the others, crowded on the dais step underneath Dimitria's warp tube. Rocky blushed as Zack and Tanya couldn't suppress a snicker, but this was not the time to start an argument over what was just friendly teasing, after all. However, he did scowl at Aisha, who gave him her best 'who, me?' look in return. Then, the group of friends and the Turbo Rangers reluctantly settled back to wait while the two geniuses went to work.

~*~



Angel Grove, the Past

"Just a bit more ... God, Kat ... almost there ... YES!"

In a flurry of frenzied activity, Jason managed to catch the baby girl as it fully slid from Kat's body. Quickly, he cut the umbilical cord, cleaned the oh-so-tiny body and placed the feebly-moving infant into Kat's arms. She was still panting hard, looked completely wiped, but her eyes shone as she cradled it protectively.

"A girl, Jase ... we have a daughter!" Her voice was rough with a mixture of elation, exhaustion and pain.

"Yeah, and she's as beautiful as her mommy," Jason whispered hoarsely, trying not to let his shock show. He'd just lived through the most terrifying two hours of his life, bar none, and he never, /ever /wanted to go through it again.

Not without a whole hospital around, anyway!

The baby looked much more fragile than he'd thought it would, and he sat back on his heels as he finished caring for Katherine. Shouldn't newborn babies be crying right after birth? So far, all he could hear was a faint mewling sound ... a far cry (he winced inwardly at the awful pun) from the loud wailing he'd anticipated. And even to his inexpert eyes, the skin color seemed ... off, somehow. Neither pink nor red, but with a worrying greyish tinge underneath.

How important are those last six weeks of development she missed, anyway? God, I wish I knew ...

"Thanks," Kat sniffled, running a tender hand over the tiny being. "She's got your hair ..."

Indeed, the small head was covered with a shock of black hair, still damp and plastered to the scalp.

"I hope she's gonna have your eyes," he murmured, reaching deep for at least a trace of optimism. It proved very elusive.

The two contemplated their daughter in silence for a few minutes, waiting to come down from the adrenaline high of the past hours. Darkness had fallen by now, and thankfully the day's heat had abated somewhat. The temperature was balmy now, but Jason collected a blanket for Kat, anyway. She'd just been through a lot, and it wouldn't do for her or the baby to catch a chill. Carefully, he spread the cover fur-side-down over them and smiled as Kat formed a sort of hood out of one corner, framing the tiny face. Already he knew that his heart had been snared by this new being - flesh of his flesh.

"What are we going to call her, do you have an idea?" he asked in a hushed voice. The baby seemed to be sleeping, and he didn't want to disturb her. For some reason, he and Kat had shied away from choosing names, but now it was time.

Kat frowned a little, smoothing a fingertip over the delicate cheek. "I don't know ... somehow, all the conventional names I used to like don't seem exactly right."

"Yeah, I know what you mean," he agreed. "This is such a special situation ... it feels as if we need to find a special name, too. Only, I haven't got a clue ..."

"Well ... I might have an idea," Kat confessed. "In the past few days I've been trying to imagine what my mum would say if she knew about the baby, or yours, and that kind of got me thinking ... your mother's name is Helen, right?"

"Yeah - Helene, actually, but she prefers the shorter form. Why?"

"Mum's name is Doris ... how do you feel about combining their names?"

"Combine? How?"

Kat blushed a little. "I kind of like 'Dorilene'," she confessed, spelling the word for Jason.

He tasted the sound of it. "Dorilene? Hmm ... yeah, that's a good name. I like it," he decided.

"Thank you."

Jason bent over the infant and carefully patted the small head. His hand looked impossibly large, and he took pains not to hurt her by a careless or too-hasty movement.

"Hello, Dorilene," he murmured. "This is your Dad." Kat smiled tiredly, pleased that he was making the gesture and how natural it seemed to come to him. The sight of Jason, burly and muscular as he was, cooing to a newborn should be totally incongruous, but somehow it wasn't. Suddenly she knew that he would do everything in his power to protect their daughter from harm - any harm at all.

She was about to comment, to tease him a little, when she was surprised by a jaw-cracking yawn.

"Oh my."

Jason smiled gently. "You've done an incredibly hard job tonight. Why don't you try and get some rest now?"

Kat sighed. "I believe I will. Only ... could I have some water first, please?"

"Sure." Quickly, Jason went to the lake and dipped a cup of water. Supporting Kat's shoulders, he helped her drink, then tucked her and their daughter securely into the sleeping fur once more. "Sleep, honey. I'll keep watch."

"Thanks." With a weary sigh, Kat let her lids drift shut and dozed off a little, but true sleep eluded her. After an hour or so, she gave up and shifted the baby in her arms into a more comfortable position. The small head lolled off her shoulder, and instinctively she reached out to stop the slide. There was absolutely no resistance; instead, the fragile body lay limply against her, and some instinct she hadn't known she had jerked Kat wide awake. Raising herself onto her elbow, she checked the baby.

Dorilene was breathing, but ... was it her imagination, or was there an irregularity, something odd about the way the tiny chest rose and fell? Anxiously, Kat ran a questing hand all over her baby. What she felt made her call out with sudden fear.

"Jason!"

He'd been sitting a couple of meters away, at the fire, methodically whittling on his arrows as he kept vigil, like he'd promised. However, Jason was at her side in an instant when she called.

"What's wrong?"

"I don't know," Kat muttered, still examining their daughter. She had to make a conscious effort to stay calm, not to panic at what she found. "Jason ... I don't think Dorilene is breathing as much as she should," she whispered at last, her accented voice tight with fear. "Also ... I may be imagining things, but ... I think she's colder."

"Colder how?" Jason had to swallow hard.

"Her skin temperature ... it's lower than it was. God, I wish it were light! I can't see clearly enough, but ... I think her color's off, too!"

Jason looked more closely, and found his worst fears confirmed. The baby's skin tone, which had seemed merely odd to him before, now /definitely /held an unhealthy pallor. But he wasn't going to tell Kat; maybe it /was /just the firelight, and Dorilene being a preemie and all.

As long as she's breathing, she's gonna be okay. I hope.

"She'll look better in daylight," he tried to soothe Kat's (and his own) fears. "Has she been crying?" He knew she hadn't; in the nightly stillness, he would've heard any new sound. There had only been the usual wilderness background noise.

"No ... and she really should," Kat murmured, close to tears. "I just remembered that crying is important for newborns, to train their lungs ... and that the biggest danger for prematurely-born babies is that their lungs just aren't developed enough for them to breathe on their own."

Jason felt himself blanch. If the baby couldn't breathe ...

Don't even go there! Not yet. Not until there's no other option.

He racked his brain for something, anything to help calm both Kat and himself. Seeing the tiny head nestled protectively against Kat's breast, he had a sudden inspiration.

"Have you tried nursing her yet?"

Kat frowned. "No ... and I don't know if I can, yet ..."

"Why don't you give it a try? You'll have to soon, anyway," he suggested.

"I guess so ..." Dubious and with sudden self-consciousness, Kat hesitantly touched her nipple to the tiny mouth. It was the most natural thing to do, yet knowing that Jason was watching her every move intently was strangely embarrassing.

Better get used to it ... if this works, he'll see it several times a day from now on!

Much to her relief, Dorilene opened her lips eventually and latched onto her, but the strokes of the small tongue against her skin weren't very strong, nor did Kat feel any real suckling. Still, she persisted. However, after a few minutes the baby's mouth went slack, and the small face scrunched up as a faint whimper could be heard.

"Well? Has she ...?"

"Not really," Ka admitted worriedly. She took one of the tiny hands between her fingers, and was shocked to find how cold it had grown in such a short time. Hastily, she checked the baby's feet. They, too, had a significantly lower temperature. She gazed intently at the baby's face, seeing to her horror that the so-soft lips were visibly drier now ... and taking on a bluish hue.

It could only mean one thing.

Tears filling her eyes, she cradled her daughter protectively against her. "I must keep her warm," she whispered brokenly. "She's so cold already, and babies need warmth ..."

Jason closed his eyes as his heart sank. He felt himself go cold as ice all over as the import of that became clear. His own voice was unsteady as he lowered himself to the ground, lying down next to Kat. "Let me help," he murmured, taking Kat into a protective embrace, their infant daughter between them.

They fell silent then, both watching the labored rise and fall of that oh-so-small chest, waiting for any sign that their baby would fully awake, to start crying, fuss, demand to be fed ... anything.

None of it ever happened. The faint mewling sounds ceased after a while; the feeble movements stopped. Gradually, the baby's soft skin grew cold all over, and yet there was breathing ... breaths that were interrupted by moments of total stillness, only to start over again, sending Jason and Katherine on a roller coaster of hope and despair.

It lasted until, in the hour just before dawn, when the first birds were waking to the new sun, the small chest heaved once more, Dorilene sighed tiredly and then stopped moving altogether.







To Be Continued ...



















































Sign up to rate and review this story