Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Weaknesses

Attentiveness

by ConclusionOfTheHeart 0 reviews

The fifth chapter of Weaknesses. The longest chapter by far.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor - Published: 2015-09-06 - 3550 words

0Unrated
Attentiveness

"Stupid Pein, unreasonable... Causing me all this...damn stress...un! I'll show them what's funny with my greatest explosion, shove it right up all their-!" Deidara, once again shoved the plunger deep into the toilet hole with murderous force for the billionth time that evening. Water splashing everywhere , all over the tiled floor of the Akatsuki bathroom, further wetting his chore clothes, much to his disgust. After a few more plunges, he threw it against a grimy wall. It barely did anything to cool his anger. He kicked the nearby trash can in the corner with all he had and immediately regretted it once the loaded bin spewed trash all over the freshly waxed tiles. Holding back his string of cures, the blonde bent down to pick up the crumbled candy wrappers and kabob sticks, crying out as he tripped over a soda can, nearly landing flat on his face.

Not bothering to pick himself up, he lay on his back, trundling in his self pity as his hair soaked through with toilet water. He'd never felt so helpless in his life. Why did the leader hate him so much? He never once complained about his assignments, never had one bad thing to say about any of his missions up until now of course. Always did what he was ordered. But no. None of that mattered. He was doing good for his teammates. The ones that sat and laughed in his face as he was constantly put through defeat and embarrassment, and there was nothing he could do. Letting his head roll to the side in despair, Deidara stared at the trash before him, blue orbs suddenly lighting up.

...

"Oh, Deidara-san? Where are you? It's time for- WHAT THE HELL?!" Black Zetsu cut in with horror lacing his voice. Deidara was too busy to notice his new company emerging from the still littered tiles as he was entertaining himself with his new toys.

"Take that, you damn Pein-sama, hm! Oh, what's that Tobi? You're hungry?" Deidara's voice took on a nurturing tone. "Well here's some detonating clay for you, you idiot, yeah!"

"Deidara!" Zetsu yelled. The bomber spun around, dropping a lollipop with white clay stuck in the midst of it's swirls, leg lifted in mid air, ready to bring it down on an orange soda can, that most likely was supposed to be Pein.

"W-what do you want, Zetsu, hm?" Deidara stuttered indignantly. He dusted himself off, matted hair sticking up a bit, trying to appear annoyed. He had to find some way to vent!

"Um... It's time, you know..." Zetsu's white side said cautiously, inwardly deciding that the mission's finally gotten to the artist's sanity.

...

"Glad you finally made it, Deidara, but you're late." Pein spoke as he watched Deidara enter the room from the bare stage where he stood, a disturbed looking Zetsu trailing right behind him. The bomber plopped himself onto the leather couch next to Kisame.

"Sorry, Leader. I had to take care of some personal business real quick, hm," Deidara grumbled as politely as he could while his insides were currently burning with malice for the ginger-haired man. He was no longer wearing his chore clothes and he'd combed his knotted, damp hair into one big pony tail that he'd have to deal with later.

'Yeah, sorry sir. Just wanted to look somewhat presentable before I get my butt whopped by some miracle once again, un...'

As soon as the thought crossed his mind, he shut it down right there. Realization hit him and Deidara's eyes began to burn with renewed confidence and he berated himself for almost giving up just seconds ago. He didn't know why exactly he kept losing every challenge, but he did know exactly what Pein was trying to do. He was testing his endurance. Pein wanted to know how much more of this Deidara could really take. He was waiting for him to break. Deidara didn't have all the pieces to the puzzle just yet, like, why Pein was pushing him to his limits, of all people, but one thing was for sure. He wasn't about to let the leader get any more satisfaction.

Pein seemed to eye him suspiciously for a moment before looking away. "No matter. While we're all here we might as well get started on our next challenge. Although all the challenges thus far have been different in their own way, Konan and I have come up with a clever one today. Konan." Pein turned to his blue-haired companion who looked a bit interested to call the challengers... Or rather, challenger of Deidara.

The angelic women politely cleared her throat. "Before I start, I just want to thank all of you for your cooperation for this whole week so far. I'd also like to remind you guys that there are only three more challengers left. I'd like to say, I've been watching you all-"

"Yeah, ok, could we just get on with this already, un?" Deidara tried to hold back the irritation in his voice. Just because he was determined again to show Pein how strong he was, didn't mean he was for dragging this thing out all day. He almost regretted the outburst, and was forced to flash a fake smile as Pein slowly turned to give him the creepiest look.

"Hah, I mean, go on Konan, yeah."

"Alright. Challengers today: Deidara VS. Hidan."

"Tch- about damn time it's my turn! I thought I was never gonna get to go, seriously." Deidara looked over at Hidan who was sitting on a black swivel chair in the corner of the room, feet propped up on the tiny coffee table. Deidara held back a groan. He should've known this was coming. It was only a matter of time before the loud mouth's turn. But for some reason, that matter of time came all too soon. Although he didn't mind hanging out with the silver-headed man at times, the jashinist never let an opportunity pass when it came to teasing him about something or trying to get him to convert to Jashinism. Most of the time he was almost just as annoying as Tobi.

After Kakuzu nearly chopped his legs off where they lay on the table, lecturing him again on how expensive it was, Hidan stood up walking closer to the stage. "So, what's my challenge gonna be, eh? And don't even start with that weakness crap, cause I'm f cking invincible! I'm just doing this for fun, really-GAH! Kakauzu, what the hell!" Hidan yelled, rubbing the back of his head.

"Like hell, you're invincible. Listen to Pein-sama talk before I chop you into a thousand pieces." Kakuzu's strange eyes lit up threateningly.

"Nonsense. Everyone has a weakness, Hidan, and you will participate because you are no exception. I was just getting to your weakness so listen carefully. Though you do tremendous amounts for this organization, you are simply more obnoxious and loud than I would prefer. That is a problem because you are not the best when it comes to paying attention."

"And what's that supposed to mean? You calling me a dumbass or somethin'? I do pay attention-,"

"Do you?" Kakuzu interrupted. "I have a hard time believing that considering you're a complete blockhead during our missions. Always wanting to do things your way and never listening to my strategies when they're the one thing that won't get you killed." Kakuzu's anger seemed to be mounting as he remembered how much near heart attacks his partner put him through because of his stupidity. "Not to mention how you almost always destroy my bounties that had over billions of dollars on their heads..."

"Oh what the hell ever, Kakuzu! Believe it or not, I do what I need to do to get our f@cking missions done! And you don't even realize it because of your obsessive love of money. I do you a favor destroying those corpses," he waved him off, leaving Kakuzu near seething. "You're already goin' to hell, might as well earn a bit of mercy from Jashin, you blasphemer-!"

"Enough of this. Hidan, Kakuzu, I am not interested in hearing your quarrels. Moving on." Pein gave Hidan his constant serious look. "Kakuzu is somewhat right, Hidan. You lack in attentiveness, and I don't want to hear it. Therefore, you and Deidara will face off in a trivia match. We will determine just how closely you really claim to pay attention."

Hidan scoffed, crossing his arms. "Triva? What is this, a f@cking elementary school fundraiser? I can f@cking listen when I want to, I'm not a Jashin-damned idiot, ya know," He cast Deidara a side glance from where he stood, a smirk growing on his lips. "But beating little Deidara-chan over there is worth these stupid challenges. It should be easy too. Even getting his ass handed over to him by Tobi of all people and shit."

"What was that, you bastard, un?!" Deidara growled, shooting up from the couch, fists shaking at his sides. "I wouldn't talk. For someone who gets their head chopped off daily, you sure do have a big mouth, un! Better watch it before I blow it off!" That was it. There was no way he was going to let this cocky psychopath beat him. Besides, if he had anything else he knew he had his brains going for him. He was always attentive and known for his quick mind and calculations on the battle field.

Konan spoke before Hidan could yell his retort. "The answers to these trivia questions are ones you all should already be familiar with. These pieces of info were required of you before you were able to join this organization, so the questions should jog your memory. If you wish to win, you must be able to remember these things that you were told from the very beginning."

Suddenly, the memory of taking a twenty question paper test before he became a full fledged member crossed the artist's mind. Though he wasn't too excited about the supposedly, 'very important' questions back then that he really believed were absolutely pointless, he was a little glad they would possibly help him out now. He didn't particularly remember what all the questions were about because he'd taken the test years ago. But, he was sure everything would come back to the surface once this whole challenge started.

Without another word, Konan did a few hand signs, and a a long, decorative table appeared on stage. A sparkly, black chair occupied either end of the table which also held two shiny, silver, dinging bells, one for each person. "Get up on stage and prepare for the challenge." Konan spoke as every other member's murmurs of interest filled the room.

"Alright. I'm ready, un." Deidara took a deep breath, letting the air out slowly, as he stood from the couch once again, but was surprised to feel a cool hand encircle his wrist. He looked down to see a slightly smiling Kisame.

"Hey, kid. Don't be down in the dumps. I know this hasn't been your best week, but if you focus, I know you'll win this time." Kisame gave him a reassuring nod, and for once, Deidara actually appreciated someone within the organization. The blonde cast him a little smirk before walking over to the table on the stage, taking a seat in the black sparkly chair. The table had a template with his name on it, decorated in dazzling blue and white colors. It hung off the side of the table for the rest of the members to see. Hidan had a template similar to his, with his name printed in eye-catching purples and blacks.

"Ok. Positions, everyone," Konan spoke, handing Pein a piece of paper before taking her seat.

"Ya know, it's f@cking sad, really. Jashin's a bit offended that his servant is doing something as simple as trivia for a challenge. Ridiculous," Hidan complained nonchalantly as he took a seat in a chair identical to the bomber's. He crossed his legs with his arms folded behind his head like he had no care in the world, narrowing his eyes at the glowering artist. "But whatever. As long as I win."

Pein stepped up onto the stage and went over to the respective podium sitting on the side so Hidan and Deidara could be seen. "I will be the one asking the questions. The rules. You must not ring the bell until I have gotten the complete question out. Konan will be the ref, meaning she will call who rang the bell first. If you get a question wrong, the point goes to your opponent. Of course, the winner is the one with twenty points first, and whoever loses will pay the penalty, understood?" They both nodded.

"Good," Konan said, switching off the lights. The whole room immediately got dark, the the only lights were on the two members facing each other on the stage. Soft trivia music played in the background "This challenge starts... Now."

"Ok," Pein held a small stack of trivia cards in his hands, bringing the mic closer to his lips. "Question number one: what was the name of Kisame's first gold fish?"

Deidara's brain woke up suddenly. That was what the questions were about. Now he remembered... but he didn't remember the answer to that question. What surprised him even more however, was seeing Hidan slam his hand down onto his bell.

"Easy. It was f@cking Kisa-Junior! What a joke, seriously." Hidan said smoothly as strobe lights flashed on him in response to his answer.

"That's correct." Konan said with absolutely no zeal in her voice.

"That's two points for Hidan." As Pein spoke, the number two popped up on his score board.

"I always loved that little fellow..." Kisame whispered to himself, looking above with a nostalgic look in his wetted eyes.

"Question number two: when is Itachi's birthday?"

DING DING!

"Hidan." Konan called.

"What kinda question is that? The weasel was born on June 9th." He threw his arms behind his head. The strobe lights hit him again.

"Correct. That's two more points for Hidan."

"I'm flattered." Itachi spoke tonelessly from the wall he leaned against. He was obviously at least a bit impressed as well as some of the other members who were surprised Hidan had remembered something as detailed as that.

"Is that all the damn questions you've got? I can do this thing half asleep!" Deidara threw him a shocked glance before it was replaced by a scoff. As if he would take the time to remember the stupid Uchiha's birthday of all things. That was the only reason Hidan got that question. Even so, It looked like Hidan was actually taking this whole thing seriously. It was about time he really got down to business himself then.

Pein brought the note cards closer to his face. "This is a bonus question, which means extra points if answered correctly so listen closely. Question number three: what is Tobi's favorite color?"

The artist slapped his hand down on the silver bell. "Deidara." Konan's eyes shifted to the blonde.

"Baby pink, un!" He blurted. He was rewarded with the blinding strobe lights.

"Senpai, you know me so well!" Tobi cried, sounding very touched. He looked like he was about ready to dive on stage and glomp his senpai but was stopped by Deidara's warning death glare.

"That's five points for Deidara." The bright number appeared on the blonde's score board. "Now it's Hidan with four and Deidara with five in the lead." Konan said with a voice that sounded anything but an excited announcer's.

"Take that Hidan, hm," The bomber smirked triumphantly at Hidan who rolled his eyes at him. If there was anything Deidara knew in this pool of questions, it was going to be Tobi's favorite color. After all the hours they'd spent together on missions, the masked man had made sure that piece of important info was crammed into the artist's head. As well as his favorite food, his favorite book and his favorite song.

"Big deal, Dei-chan," Hidan sneered. "One lucky guess from a shitty question like that ain't gonna get you any where. Don't get ahead of yourself." He fingered his rosary.

Whatever. Deidara knew Hidan was just getting nervous. At this point he was already in the lead, and he was planning on staying there. Only fifteen more points to go.

"This question is an even bigger bonus. Question number four: how old was Sasori when he made the switch to his puppet body?" Before Deidara could think, he slammed his hand down on the bell so hard it ached. He ignored it, feeling more confident than ever before.

"It's simple! He was seventeen, un-AGH!" Deidara yelled, but only to nearly collapse to the floor, covering his ears as the overwhelming sound of a screeching-like siren filled them. Red flashed over his form.

"Incorrect." Sasori deadpanned, shaking his head. "What a shame, brat. I thought you of all people would know."

"Sasori was actually eighteen years old when he made the switch, Deidara." Konan corrected.

"That's ten points deducted from Deidara, two points for Hidan," Pein announced. "Unfor-"

"What?!" Deidara's eyes nearly bulged from their sockets as he watched his beautiful five points evaporate from his score board to negative five. "How the hell is that fair, un! I got one question wrong!"

"Deidara. Sasori is your partner. Incorrect answers concerning your closest teammate leads to bonus deduction."

"Heh! Suck on that, Deidara! Rules are rules!" Hidan ignored Deidara's murderous expression, sticking his tongue out at him. "Lord Jashin never f@cking leaves my side!"

"Enough, Hidan," The jashinist reluctantly sat back down, a teasing expression still plastered on his face. "Now, this is an ultra bonus question, and the hardest by far. I would advise you not to get this one wrong... Or else," The leader cleared his throat before continuing. "Question number five... what is my favorite ice cream flavor?"

"Huh?!" Deidara yelled incredulously.

D-D-D-! DING DING! BRING-DING! Brrrrrrr-DING! DI-BRING! DII-!

"Ok, Hidan!" Konan nearly shouted, sounding annoyed at how much the silver haired man was smacking the bell as if his life depend on it.

Hidan looked as if he were on the verge of bursting from holding the answer in. "You gotta be fu- it's raspberry chocolate mint with a touch of strawberry shortcake!"

Suddenly a fake guy's voice was blasting throughout the whole room "WINNER! WINNER!" Strobe lights flashing on the whooping Hidan who was jumping around and smacking his butt mockingly in Deidara's direction, only adding to the artist's fury.

"That's sixteen points for Hidan," Pein announced. "Final score; twenty-two to negative five."

"How the h-?!"

"He answered the ultra bonus question, Deidara. Do not start with me." Pein said, nearly pulverizing the blonde with his icy look. Deidara went silent.

"Hidan, you have proven to me that you do in fact, listen and have the full capability to do so. Besides, you correctly answered the ultra bonus question, making you the victor of tonight's challenge." Pein fixed the jashinist with a rather haunting look. "Now, I would like to see that amount of attentiveness you displayed tonight at all times for now on. And for future references, It'd be nice to to start getting better reports from Kakuzu concerning your behavior. If that weren't to happen, I'm afraid that would be a major problem. Understand?"

"Yeah, yeah," Hidan spun to face the rest of the rather surprised members. "What'd I tell you before, huh? I was never an idiot!" He turned to Kakuzu who was staring at him. "What the hell did I tell you, ya old fart? In your face, dammit!" Hidan yelled puffing out his chest and flashing a victorious, cocky grin.

"I saw everything, Hidan. And now that I know you're not a complete moron, I'll make sure he isn't a further problem on our missions, leader." Kakuzu spoke, ignoring Hidan's dirty look, giving him two bone breaking smacks on the back.

"Well Hidan, I've changed things up a bit today. Since you are tonight's winner," Pein gave the apprehensive Deidara a strangely evil look. "You get to chose the loser's penalty."

Hidan eyed Deidara, lips slowly curling into the most impish grin known to man. "Well, Leader, I have the perfect suggestion. Blondie will absolutely love it. I-"

"Don't. You. Dare." Deidara said, twitching dangerously, voice nothing but a horrifying whisper.

Hidan didn't listen.

Deidara finally lost it.

And just for a second, in the heat of that moment, hearing Hidan's agonized screams and curses as he was blown into a thousand bloody chunks along with pieces of rock and brick, and seeing the other member's panicked fleeing as the base crumbled right before his eyes was almost totally worth Pein's wrath. Almost.

...

A/N: Oh no... What will happen next? Has Deidara died by the hands of Pein? Will Hidan be back for revenge? (Once and if he's sewed back together that is) find out in the next chapter! If you dare...

Thanks for reading! It GREATLY warms my heart to see even one person who enjoys my story! :D

So... Tell me what you think! Reviews and criticism are immensely appreciated.
Sign up to rate and review this story