Categories > Original > Romance > Teacher, Teacher

Hurricane Courtney

by Miami 0 reviews

Rating for Language The sky is dark and ominous, and a storm is violent storm is brewing.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2015-10-19 - 1496 words

0Unrated
For the next few days, Courtney stalked around the school searching and anticipating Clover and Mr. Fields to slip up again. He phone was constantly in her hand, waiting to snap a picture as soon as the moment occurred. She was completely prepared to ruin both of their lives.

Every time Courtney entered the classroom, trying to catch the two in some compromising position, they were either sitting apart from each other, talking, or they had just separated. She couldn't catch a break. She had become so wrapped up in her mission that she started pulling away from her friends, obsessing at home over how to catch the two in the act. Her father started to worry, her friends were growing concerned, and she was growing impatient… the storm was brewing.

The next Wednesday, Courtney's best friend, Sarah, decided to confront her on her behavior. "Courtney," she started, hesitantly as her best friend stared menacingly across the hallway at Clover. "I don't really know what's going on with you… " she paused to look at Clover who was oblivious to the situation and continued to laugh with her friends. "…but whatever it is, you know I'm here for you. I know it's getting close to the anniversary-"

"That's not what's going on!" Courtney cut Sarah off mid-sentence. "Look, I'm fine I've just been really busy lately. Something has come to my attention and I need to get to the bottom of it before it gets too out of hand."

"What are you talking about?" Sarah gazed confused at her friend, as if she were speaking another language. "You aren't making any sense."

Suddenly Clover left Devin and Brad to head to homeroom early, clearly going to meet up with Mr. Fields, and Courtney immediately closed her locker to follow. "Look, it's complicated. I'll explain when I have proof. Just…. Trust me for now." She turned away from her friend and rushed down the hallway after Clover.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Clover entered her homeroom, her coat still wet from the rain outside (even though she had been indoors for quite a while talking with her friends). She was surprised to see that Alexander wasn't there. Instead, a much older, female substitute teacher stood behind Alex's desk staring back at her, amazed.

Clover hesitated before speaking. "Umm… Where's Al- … Mr. Fields?"

"And you are…?" the substitute asked, confused.

"Clover La-"

"Ahh yes, I have your name in my notes from your teacher." She smiled and looked down at the folder she was holding that contained Mr. Field's lesson plans for the next few days. "Yes, it says here…" the sub paused to find the note and read it aloud to Clover. "'Clover LaPort usually comes in early to discuss any homework questions she may have, sometimes with her two friends Devin Blanchard and Bradly Saunders. Please let them know that I am sick and if they have any questions they may ask you, or simply email me.'" She looked up at her with a soft smile. "Can I help you with something, sweetie?"

Clover faked a sweet smile. "No thank you, I just wanted to thank him for the homework help yesterday. I wouldn't have understood the passage had he not helped. I'll email him to thank him."

Clover turned to walk back out into the hall and came face to face with Courtney. They glared at each other for quite sometime before Clover grabbed Courtney by the arm and pulled her out into the hallway.

"What is your problem!?" Clover asked, angrily but hushed as to not alert the substitute. "I see you glaring at me. What did I ever do to you?"

Courtney laughed in her face, then took a step forward. The two were now practically nose-to-nose and Clover could feel Courtney's hot breath on her skin. The calm before the storm.

Suddenly, the hurricane warning bell blared throughout the entirety of the school. Clover looked around in a panic, she had never been in a situation like this before. She noticed all of the students, Courtney included, heading down the hall toward the stairs that led to the basement. She followed Courtney hurriedly, relying on her to lead the way and also not wanting to let her get out of their conversation. She needed to know why Courtney was being so… maniacal. Once down in the basement, Clover spotted Courtney in a corner by herself. She approached her, cautiously, unsure of where their conversation may lead. She could hear thunder crack outside, the sounds shook the foundation of the school beneath her feet.

"I know." Courtney whispered.

"Know what?" Clover shot back, angry and confused.

"About you and Mr. Fields."

The look in Clover's eyes said it all. She couldn't hide the fear, or the anxiety. She tried to keep her calm and deny everything, but no words came out of her mouth. She just stood there, frozen in fear. The walls around her were shaking from the thunder outside and it seemed as though they may collapse in on everyone. Finally she mustered up the courage to form produce a small sentence.

"What are you going to do?" She asked, terrified.

"I fully plan on getting evidence, showing the principle, and getting you expelled. That's what I'm going to do." Courtney laughed evilly in her face, then began to walk away from Clover toward her friends in the opposite corner of the basement. Outside, rain was pouring down almost as if buckets were being turned upside down over the school. The wind roared and the students could hear the building above them sway with it.

"You'll get him arrested." Clover whispered loud enough for Courtney to hear and stop her in her tracks. She didn't turn around, she just stood there. "He'll be fired, sent to jail, and never be able to teach again. Do you want to ruin his life like that?" Courtney looked down, she hadn't realized that was a very likely outcome. She still didn't speak. "Why would you want to hurt him like that?"

"I don't."

"Then why? Why do you want me expelled?"

Courtney turned to face Clover, her eyes baring into Clover's with so much rage and jealousy. "He was mine." Lightning flashed across the sky outside, immediately followed by roaring thunder.

Clover looked back at Courtney, confused and amazed. She began to shake her head but Courtney interrupted her thoughts.

"Well, he should have been. I was working on it. Then you came along with your perfect hair and your perfect eyes and your perfect smile… and you stole him away from me!" Courtney was fuming. "The day you first walked into the room, I saw the way he looked at you. I knew I instantly lost him." The students could hear the rain beating down against the walls of the school building.

"I didn't mean to… I didn't know…" Clover couldn't find the right words to say. She was bewildered and confused. Alexander had told her that some students were insanely flirtatious with him, throwing themselves at him, while others were more subtle. He hadn't mentioned anyone by name, but she should have guessed that the prettiest girl in school would be one of them. But she couldn't understand why Courtney was so possessive over him.

"I can't lose him." Courtney began to break down. "I already lost my mom, I can't lose the one person who put me back together after she died…" Courtney began sobbing, and it all made sense to Clover. The lightning and thunder died down, only a steady downfall of water remained outside. The wind lessened to a soft whirl.

Clover stepped toward Courtney and pulled her into a warm embrace. She refused to let go.

"What the fuck are you doing!?" Courtney asked between sobs as she tried to wiggle out of Clover's grasp.

"I understand completely." Courtney stopped wiggling, curious as to what Clover was going to say. "I lost my dad… I could never imagine losing my mom."

Almost instantly, Courtney wrapped her arms around Clover. The two finally understood each other. Courtney understood why Clover was so aloof and reluctant to get close with anyone; and Clover understood why Courtney was so possessive and cold-hearted. It was a front, to prevent herself from getting too hurt.

The hurricane warning was lifted and the students were free to return to class, but the two didn't part. They stood still, holding each other and softly crying that they found someone who can understand their pain. Devin, Brad, and Sarah walked by, then stopped and stared at the two seemingly mortal enemies, befuddled. They each looked at each other, shrugged, and continued on upstairs to homeroom.

Finally, Clover and Courtney pulled apart, wiped each others eyes, laughed, and walked upstairs together, smiling. The storm had passed. It wasn't quite the hurricane anyone expected, especially Clover, just a small downpour. Now the sky was clear and a rainbow shown brightly across the town.
Sign up to rate and review this story