Categories > Original > Fantasy > Forever Cupid

Chapter 3

by aberdeenqueen22 0 reviews

Got chapter 3 finished!!! Ongoing story about a Jarida/Jerida romance. Best if you read the first 2 chapters. Enjoy.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres: Crossover,Fantasy,Humor - Published: 2015-10-29 - 2724 words - Complete

0Unrated
“Frost! If you through one more snow ball…!” Cupid threatened. He just laughed and threw another one. It missed. He didn’t care though, the one he threw earlier hit her square in the face and sent him rushing into first. They’d been flying for what seemed like ages, he doubted if they were in Scotland any more, but even though it was nearly dawn tiredness seeped into neither one of them, both too content on finishing first.
After Cupid snatched some pinecones from the tips of the trees and hit Jack square in the back of the head several times, it resulted in battle of snow balls and pinecones. “Jack! No!” Cupid laughed. They’d landed and now Jack was using the trees around him as shield to escape her deadly aim. Jack was glad he’d managed to force a smile out of this stiff girl. She had a beautiful smile that was becoming harder to resist.
Oh no! A pinecone was sent hurtling at him, “Bullseye!” Cupid screamed, doing a victory jump after the pinecone bounced off Jack’s forehead, fist held high in the air. It’s too bad to say her landing wasn’t as victorious. Right before her feet touched to ground, Jack whipped his staff in the direction beneath her. A small patch of ice formed and she instantly slipped, face first into the snow back.
She instantly sat up so she was positioned on all fours. Whether she’d like to admit it or not, Jack saw a smile creep onto her face. “All right, you’ve crossed the line Frost!” Her wings suddenly shot out and she stood up as tall as she could. Her feet were planted firmly in the ground and with one forceful snap of her wings, she sent all the loose surrounding snow hurtling towards Jack.
She smiled seeing the look of shock on his face as his own element was turned against him. Some of the snow landed in her eyes. She squinted and took a moment to rub it out. When she looked up Jack was gone.
Her smile faded and she retracted her wings “Jack?” a large snow pile stood where he once did, so she approached it cautiously “Jack?” she said his name again. She finally was not a step away from the snow pile when suddenly, AHHH!!! Jack had been waiting from within the mound of snow until the opportune moment.
Before Cupid had a moment to jump with surprise, the hook on Jacks staff made its way behind her neck and pulled her into the snow. Jacks laughs were hysterical, and failing to remain mad, Cupid couldn’t help the eruptions of laughter that were bringing her to the point of tears.
After the moment died down, the two took a moment to catch their breath as they lay side by side in the snow bank. They stared up to the sky. Cupid them wore a confused look on her face. “Where’d they go?”
“Where’d who go?”
“The moon, the stars, they aren’t there anymore,”
Jack gave her a questionable look, but she didn’t notice. She was now sitting up. Jack realized he’d have to answer sooner or later so, “Well, they go away every morning,”
“Will they come bak’?” She asked, concern lightly woven into her voice.
Jack gave out a half-hearted scoff “I mean, yeah, every morning they’ll go away but they’ll come back tonight,” She looked a little disappointed now that they were gone, and that frown really brought the mood down.
An idea sparked in Jack and he smiled at the thought. “Come on,” A faint gust of wind blew and he flew up into standing position “You know, the day can be just as great as the night,” he held his hand out to her. She hesitated, “How so?” he smiled and looked at her sincerly “Let me show you,” and she took his hand, reassured.
After she stood he let go of her hand, slightly missing the touch, and with a thrust upwards Jack shot up into the sky. He hovered for a moment and yelled down to her “Try to keep up!” and he bolted into the direction of the mountains.
Cupid couldn’t believe it. “Oh sure, don’t wait up for me or anathing…” she spread her wings and took off, continuing to mutter aimlessly to herself. Great, now where’d he go?
“Up here!” Cupids head bolted up right to see Jack motioning for her to come “Hurry before you miss it!”
“Miss what!?” Cupid shouted back up to him, but he just flew away. She couldn’t decide whether he was ignoring her or if he were going deaf. She shook he head and flew up wards, maybe if she caught a wind current… She was above the clouds soaring in the swift wind, it would make this flying trip easy drifting.
Jack swooped beside her “Come on, I know the perfect view,” Cupid just nodded, accepting that Jack knew somewhat of what he was talking about. They veered to the left, above the mountains and finally settled on the nearest peak, sitting side by side and staring out into the sky.
“Now what?” She questioned.
“Shh!” Jack cut her off.
“But-“
“Shh!”
“Hey-“
“Shhh!”
“Ugh!” She dramatically through her hands up into the air and fell onto her back. “Well this was a waste a’ time,” Jack chuckled “You think so?”
“Definitely. Last time I fallow you anawhere” she sat up to look at him while she complained but he starred far off into space, she noticed that the darkness of the night was all but faded, and that this new source of light was shining on Jack’s face.
She turned her head curiously to gape at a familiar beauty. The sun began to peak from behind a mountain that was shielding its light, the sky slowly filled with magnificent colors that left her in awe. As time passed the deep purples turned into bright pinks and oranges, the clouds seemed to absorb these colors and insist on adding their own personal shades that made the sky even more wondrous than it had been.
“Whoa…” Cupid and Jack breathed at the same time. They both whipped their heads around to each other, both shocked about the simultaneousness of it. Cupid broke the gaze on their locked eyes to look to their hands. Just millimetres away. She took in a sharp breath and glanced up and away from Jack.
She forced a nervous cough and scooted away from him “Well, uh-um… heh, this has been… nice, I guess… and all that,” Jack had a hopeful gazed locked onto her that faded at the word ‘nice’, “Oh,” was all that managed to escape his mouth as a response.
Cupid stood up and played with her fingers, drifting back and forth between eye contact with him. The air grew stale with tension and Jack forcibly found a way to change the subject. “Hey, if you think this was good I’m sure you’d like the sun set, and I can’t help but wonder,” he smiled, stood up and pointed at her wings “how did you do that with your wings? When you manipulated the wind to blow all that snow on me,”
He saw a brief sense of relief wash over her as he gave her a way out “Dunno, it just sorta came to me” she smiled “How’d ya like being buried under three feet a’ snow?”
“It was better than hearing your victory scream,”
“Well you better get used to it, with me around you’ll be have’n troubles with thee, ah, ‘victory’ part,” she smirked, arms crossed, shoving a smug look into his face.
Jack opened his mouth to return a witty remark, but soon clenched his fist and grumbled, realizing he didn’t have one. Cupid let out a blunt laugh and patted him on the shoulder “Next time Frost,”
He gave a partially annoyed look and resorted to his trade mark grin as a devious thought entered his mind. “You know,” he began, “We aren’t the only ones,”
“Who do you mean?” she said “There’s a whole world filled with humans, other people, and there are plenty more spirits like us,” he began “You may not get along with any,” he grumbled “But we aren’t alone,” Cupid smiled at this.
“Let’s go!” Cupid turned away and spread her wings “Wait!” Jack shouted after her. She halted and faced him “What now?” Jack remembered his first day as a spirit, how people passed through him as though he were air. He knew that was not going to be the best thing for her so he thought of a way to prolong it. “How ‘bout instead of greeting the public we go see a friend of mine,” Cupid gave him a skeptical look “Aw come on,” he nudged her with his staff “It’ll be fun”
*
“O we’re visiting a ‘friend’ he said, it’ll be ‘fun’ he said,” Cupid said sarcastically as she raced down the caves with Jack. He smiled, panting along with her as they ran. The caves were too narrow for Merida- uh ‘Cupid’ (Jack needed to remember that he hadn’t told her the origin of her real name, and he’d be dangling from a thin line if she found out he knew anything from her unknown past) to spread her wings, so they were down-graded to running for their lives.
“JACK!!!” an angry scream and loud thumps of feet came from the end of the long cave they ran in. Jack just laughed as they ran. Cupid couldn’t imagine how he’d manage to survive. He was so reckless and immature and made enemies really, really easily.
They’d finally made it to an opening, it was still under ground in the caves but an opening in the ceiling let the sunshine in, not only illuminating the space, but allowing lime green moss to grow on the floor and surrounding rocks surface. Cupid became a little nervous, her wing span was too big, and she would never be able to fly out of there.
Cupid pushed herself against the wall, observing the room. “There’s no way out Jack” he turned to her “there’s always a way out,” she crossed her arms and pressed her lips “Somethin’ ‘bout the tone in yur voice isn’t too reassuring,” he grinneed, but was interrupted by a voice with an accident that Cupid hadn’t ever heard before.
“Ya shouldn’t a’ come to the warren mate,” the voice said. Cupid listened intently, still unsure of what to think, but she held her ground and drew her bow, aiming it at the mouth of the tunnel. She couldn’t see the face behind this voice because it was hidden beneath the shadow cast by the light.
Her curiosity was ended when a figure stepped into the light. Jack smirked, and Cupid, well, let’s just say Cupid was a little more than amused. In fact, this was hysterical. A large rabbit stood tall and proud at the opening of the tunnel, the only catch was his fur was dyed a pastel pink.
“Bunny!” Jack began “Great to see you again” the sarcasm in his voice only kindling the fire in the rabbit “Wish I could say likewise mate-” he was suddenly interrupted by roaring laughter. Cupid holstered her bow and arrow and began to laugh hysterically.
“Bwahahaha! My God Jack, when you- ha ha! When you put those eggs in that burrow, ha, I thought you were planning on saving them for later, and then, ahaha, and then that little explosion, hahaha!” she continued to roar with laughter.
Bunny and Jack both stared at her with confusion, Jack more amused so. “Who’s this?!” Bunny asked, displeased “Newbie,” Jack replied “thought I’d show her around” She could still be heard laughing in the background. Bunny stared at her, transfixed for a moment, then glared back to Jack “No surprise, you tryin’ ta’ turn the freshies ‘gainst me,”
Cupids laughs began to dye down and she had to take some large breaths to be able to speak again, “I don’t even know why we were runnin’,”she laughed, more calm now “I mean look at how harmless he is, just a wee bunny,” Bunny looked shocked, his mouth agape “just a wee bu-Just a wee bunny!? I have you know I am a vicious warrior!”
“Vicious warrior?” Cupid laughed “You do know you’re pink, right?”
He pointed a finger at Jack “B-but it wuz him-!” he stuttered. He whipped his head to Jack and growled, not just at Jack but at himself. This girl made him seem like a whining child. Nobody had ever done that, not even North. Bunny knew she was goinh to be a \treat, but Jack made him a fool of first impressions.
A new anger grew inside him as he watched Jack laugh “Why that’s it you...!” He pounced at Jack. Damn! He dodged it just in time. Bunny steadied himself. He watched Jack grab the girl’s wrist and run “Come on Cupid!”
“But Jack I can’t fllllyyyy!” Jack had leaped into the air and carried her with him, making his way to the opening in the ceiling. Bunny was having none of that. He ran to the wall and jumped as high as he could. He then positioned his feet towards it so they’d be the ones to absorb the impact. He aimed for the girl and kicked off the wall.
Time slowed as he reached for her, mid-air. Almost there, almost... He snatched his arm towards Cupid and, ugh! Just missed her ankle. Time sped up again as gravity forced him back to the ground. Unable to balance in time, bunny tumbled head first to the ground.
Cupid cheered. Bunny rubbed the new bruising on his forearm and looked up to see them flying away “Yeah! You’d better run Frost!” He yelled “Next time I’ll get ya’!” and then this time more quietly to himself “Same goes for you too Cupid,”
*
“Ahaha!” Cupid was now flying on her own besides Jack. “What did you do to those eggs!?”
“Let’s just say I fought fire with fire,” She snickered “Whatever you did, it worked”
“You’re too kind, you’re too kind!” Jack said dramatically and bowed as he flew. He suddenly got really excited “You didn’t do too bad yourself Merida-” at hearing the name Cupid stopped moving forward and hovered for a moment. She looked down to her hands and Jack knew he had made a mistake. “I’m sorry, I di-“
“No!” she shouted interrupting him, “No,” this time softer. She wiped her eyes and sniffled as she looked at him. “Call me Merida,”
“Are you sure?” Jack asked. She nodded “It just- it feels right” Jack nodded as a sense of relief washed over him, knowing that he could call her by her real name.
*
It was cold. And it was dark. Just how he liked it. He’d been cast away only now was he regaining his strength.
His deep thoughts was interrupted by a stirring in the darkness “What is it?” he asked the shadows “This better be important or- what? A new spirit?” Pitch laughed maniacally “Is the man in the moon growing that weak that he needs to create a new spirit?”
He dwindled on this thought for a moment “You know, this new spirit may come in handy” He turned to his shadows “Keep an eye on her, make sure we know all her skills, ability’s, I want the ins and outs of this spirit” He turned to his shadow’s a finale time “Now go”

TO BE CONTINUED…..

I know this chapter is a little shorter than my other ones, believe me I wanted to make it longer but, I thought it would be a bit more fun if I left it at this cliff hanger. Thanks for reading, and you can probably expect the next chapter within a week or so.
Sign up to rate and review this story