Categories > Anime/Manga > Inuyasha

Follow the Leader

by mshutts 5 reviews

Kirara's thoughts on her pack leader. ONESHOT

Category: Inuyasha - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Inuyasha, Kirara - Published: 2006-08-17 - Updated: 2006-08-17 - 622 words - Complete

1Insightful
Follow the Leader

By: mshutts

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha or any of the characters here-in.

- - - - -

She watched him leap from limb to limb, high above the trees while she tried to keep up but the added weight of her load was slowing her down. She did not mind carrying her mistress or even the monk despite his less than savory activities. But in doing so, she had difficulty keeping up with him.

He never had any trouble with keeping pace. Even when he had the priestess and kitsune on his back, his footsteps did not falter. Only very seldom did an injury even partially slow his pace. It made her wonder at the strength of her pack leader.

She had watched him take down foes many times larger and more powerful than he. She had watched him get back up from injuries that should have killed him and jump back into the fray as if he had never been injured in the first place. She had watched him grow violent and unpredictable only to pull himself back and once again become the boy she knew.

She had offered what help she could to him when he was in need of assistance. Knowing that her pack leader was loathe to show any type of weakness, she counted the time he allowed her to watch over him while he regained his strength as one of her greatest accomplishments. The knowledge that her pack leader thought she was capable of protecting him when he was vulnerable was an immense honor.

She had decided, when she and her mistress had joined his pack, that she would do her best to serve him in whatever way he might need. As such, she had found herself serving the others in their pack as well. It did not really bother her that the humans and kitsune saw her as theirs to order around, for she knew that he did not see her that way.

She sometimes thought, watching the way he spoke to the rest of the pack and comparing it to how he spoke to her that it was because of the way the other members treated her that he did not. She knew he was always sensitive to the interactions even when he did not appear to be. He noticed that the others did not ask her for her opinion and so he did.

He was never obvious about it, but he would always ask her if she wanted to do it first. She would never have even thought of refusing, but the offer was always there. Even if he did not say it in so many words, she understood that what he would ask her to do was a request, not an order.

Too often, the humans in her party had assumed that, because she did not speak their language, she did not understand or was below them. He had never treated her like that. He had always treated her like she was a being that needed as much consideration as the other members of his pack. In fact, she sometimes thought he gave her more consideration than the others. It was as if he was trying to make up for the way the others treated her in his own way.

For that, she loved him. For that, she would follow him wherever he would lead her. For that, she would race after him, forever trying to keep up with the silver-haired boy that was her pack leader.

- - - - -

I suppose it could be Kirara/Inuyasha if you tilted your head to the side and squinted at it just right. Umm, maybe not really.

In any event, thanks for reading and/or reviewing. Both are appreciated.
Sign up to rate and review this story